• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Honestly, they knew this was coming, like, "hey, we are going to give early access to a bunch of people in a platform where everyone has access to the game files", i wouldn't be surprised if there is data there to troll people. =P

And honestly, this isn't as bad, i remember when the first demo for sonic generations came out, on the xbox 360, people got a list of all stages and also unlocked a bunch of shit in the demo, and this was x360...

I've just never really liked data-mining in general, but I can see it as a necessary evil (a big stretch for that term) if it's to expose shady things.
it just makes me sad that there's people who don't want to let a surprise be a surprise.
leaks about Laura and then this.

there is a difference between "Japanese name" and "Japanese spelling of a name". :P
Yes there is; ユリアン is how you would spell Julian in Katakana.

Then URN doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless that's just a thing. His name is ユリアン right?
I have a point.
ユリアン is how you would spell Julian in Katakana.
You know that Vega, M Bison and Balrog have completely different names in the Japanese version, right?

That's why we call them Boxer and Claw, etc.

You know that Vega, M Bison and Balrog have completely different names in the Japanese version, right?
Yes, which is why I pointed out I was making a joke in the very first post.

You know that Urien and Julian aren't the same name, right? Hence the joke.

Now if you want to argue about what Urien's name was originally is a different story, both names fit considering Urien is of privileged birth, but Julian strikes me as far more correct considering not only being the name of a Roman emperor, and derived from Julias which I'm sure I don't have to explain, but it and the name Gill are considered of the same root. Plus the whole Iscariot allusion.

Now, no one actually cares, which is fine, it's not like they traded his name with a different character, which is the problem with the aforementioned trio.

@Kawalorn Not sure what happened to your post, but above actually proves what you just said wrong. Though again, didn't think making a joke meant this was going to be the result.

@Kawalorn Not sure what happened to your post, but above actually proves what you just said wrong. Though again, didn't think making a joke meant this was going to be the result.

Excuse me, what proves that what I said is wrong? This has nothing to do with how they would name files. Neither do I see how it disproves that "Japanese names" and "Names spelled in Japanese" aren't the same thing.

This is a very poor joke and your insistance you had a "point" made it seem a 100% serious statement, that's probably why it had the effect it had.

what proves that what I said is wrong?
The part where you said it was a trivia fact, not a point.

This has nothing to do with how they would name files.
The joke was it wasn't his Japanese name.

And it's a very poor joke
Is this supposed to be a point?

your insistance you have a "point" made it seem a 100% serious statement.
The point was as said above, about Japanese names, I said I was saying it as a joke because it's clearly not the same situation, you're allowed to state facts as jokes, feigning an argument.

The part where you said it was a trivia fact, not a point.

That's why I removed it, cause I misread it.

I'll just end saying that your joke was very poor and made sense only to you. I don't get it even after all these explanations. Try better next time.

That's why I removed it
Then you knew exactly what I was referring to, so I don't understand why you argued that.
joke was very poor
Try better next time.
Very bitter way to end this, but I suppose it's easier than admitting you just argued over nothing, that was stated to be nothing in the first place but felt the need to drag it out anyway. There's no need for those feelings, we're all adults here.

And just to make this sparkling clear, I'm not defending the joke here.

Then you knew exactly what I was referring to, so I don't understand why you argued that.

Very bitter way to end this, but I suppose it's easier than admitting you just argued over nothing, that was stated to be nothing in the first place but felt the need to drag it out anyway. There's no need for those feelings, we're all adults here.

And just to make this sparkling clear, I'm not defending the joke here.

No I didn't know what you were reffering to. I simply didn't read it right first and decided to leave it be.

And OK. I admit I was arguing over nothing. However it wasn't my fault that you made a statement that was pretty impossible to understand the way you envisioned it.

And OK. I admit I was arguing over nothing.
I poorly phrased that, I'm not trying to get you to admit anything, it was more of "if you don't have anything to say, why attack?".

However it wasn't my fault that you made a statement that was pretty impossible to understand the way you envisioned it.
I'm not the first person to have ever thought this or said it, nor am I the first person who knows what SFIII is and studied Kana, there is nothing wrong with not getting the joke, there is certainly nothing wrong with not finding it funny, but stating it was impossible to be understood by someone who wasn't me is insane.

This has gone on way too long, and it is my fault, and especially having phrased the last post so poorly, it was meant to be an ending, I said that there is no need for hard feelings it was a dumb joke on an internet forum, no one cares. Well, I imagine there are people who care in the sense they're tired of this string of posts, but that's a different thing.

There's also an early model of a fan, yes a literal fan, lumped in with the characters in the files.
Hmm, maybe a stage hazard like the ramen bowls? Also awesome to getter a better look at Eisbahn. Totally didn't think he'd have a DJ look. Could be cool...to see him in the game later.

Then there’s CMN, GUL, ALX, and URN. Three have already been mentioned in this thread, but no clue what the fourth, "CMN" could mean.
CMN is just a common file. They show up a lot in datamining.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Well, I imagine there are people who care in the sense they're tired of this string of posts
Here, me

Let's go back to talking about how everyone's walk speed sucks a lot which basically makes me uninterested in playing anyone other than Chun/Karin/Claw, and which I find rather sad!
I understand that there is a difficult spot to strike in "People should have differing walkspeeds", "Walking shouldn't feel awful", "Dashing needs to have a (significant) purpose" and "Dashing shouldn't be broken" -it was eg a lot easier to give people insane walkspeeds in ST, since there was no dashing and thus no grounded mobility to speak of that walking had to compete with-, but I still feel that SF5 went too far towards "walking is abysmal" on the scale.
Aside from that, I'm mostly annoyed by corner crossups - and find "basically no hard KDs at all" to be a strange decision - I can see not wanting them after every hitconfirm, but on something (or multiple) out of Throw / CH Throw (does this even exist? It didn't pop up the message when I had CH enabled in training mode) / raw Sweep (so not during a combo) / CH Sweep it would feel more natural imo. Claw didn't even get one after Ex FBA, I forgot to check whether after a Command Grab but I would presume not, which eg makes me wonder how to use Walldives offensively.

With these "issues" (corner crossups are more a thing that I just don't like..) out of the way: I had a lot of fun playing in the Beta! Apologies to everyone whom I fought with my 30-45 FPS laptop :( But I did want a selfish part of the cake..
The three chars whose walkspeed got a passing grade from me (Chun/Karin/Claw) were all superfun and seemed to be striking a rather ideal mixture of "simple enough to be playable with no idea what's going on, while complex enough to have lots of room to grow", which was nice.

Didn't feel like Fireballs were awful at all, btw.
Many chars have tools to deal with fireballs "easily", but most of those tools are actually 'crappy' and/or don't do what you'd expect them to?!
Eg Rashid has a projectile invuln roll, but if he does it on reaction to a fireball the recovery of the roll is too slow to help with anything, and if he does it on prediction at short ranges, he just gets hit by the fireball anyway because only the beginning of the roll legitimately avoids them.
Of course part of this is gonna be that people didn't use their tools properly (and due to overall low character variety in the Beta, I didn't get any experience at all vs Dict/Nash/Birdie and little v. several others, so dunno jack about those), but I never felt like I was unable to chuck plasma.

Slow walk speed is just the Capcom design standard for SF4 and every game afterward it seems. It sucks, but it's not going away. I feel like besides characters still having cinder blocks glued to their feet this is a much faster game than SF4.

Yes, my trusty 2010 rig
I play Skullgirls on this too, just that one I can run on 60 FPS

What is the problem?

Nothing, that's just surprising, and impressive.

We got new pics and info

27_onohintnew01.jpg

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/street-fighter-v-launches-february-16

apparently its sim.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
I didn't realize it was possible to have a more lackluster reveal than Vega.

In terms of the actual reveal, that is. While I don't like 'sim it's good that there is a zoner in this game.

Oh hey, remember they just said the last vet wasn't necessarily from SFII? Why even say that?

Wrll, the actual reveal hasn't happened. Capcom got leaked again

As said above as much as I don't like Dhalsim (possibly my bottom character from SFIV) at least he will represent something that is severely lacking in SFV so far, zoning.

Welp now waiting for Zen and I'm expecting some Day 1 DLC announcements after that.

I'm expecting some Day 1 DLC announcements after that.
I really do think they're going to rely on early, possibly day one DLC, for pulling in people they haven't covered with that roster, what better way (from a business standpoint) to rope in those 3S whiners than putting Alex and Urien near launch without having to sacrifice the SFII cast? Juri falls into this category for similar reasons.

I really do think they're going to rely on early, possibly day one DLC, for pulling in people they haven't covered with that roster, what better way (from a business standpoint) to rope in those 3S whiners than putting Alex and Urien near launch without having to sacrifice the SFII cast? Juri falls into this category for similar reasons.

Not to mention they have to have as many as they can, as early as they can, so people won't be able to farm enough Fight Money quickly.

so people won't be able to farm enough Fight Money quickly.
Yeah, that's the point of near release DLC this round. We all know it's coming, I won't be surprised if Akuma is a day one DLC character since he'll technically be "unlockable" that way.

6 characters a year? That's about what I was expecting, would be cool in terms of pacing the release but I worry about balance.

Sim is shit.

Whens necro
Never. I wish, but NEVER.

Reactions: Covenant