• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Crush Counter is just when you counter hit with a grounded heavy. i.e. when you hit them while they're in an attack animation.

Yeah....alot wrong with this game. Not gonna rant about launch impression though. Hopefully by March or June or whenever it fixes enough so I can give an impression that won't make me look like an unfair asshole apparently.

Shouldn't have to worry about that anyway. Their mindset shouldn't have been "We'll release it broken and fix it later", it should've been "Let's finish it and release it satisfactorily"

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
I'm enjoying local and online versus (mostly because that's all the game has right now), but those are enough to keep me busy. The characters feel good too - I think Bison, Karin, and FANG are my favorites so far.

Crush Counter is just when you counter hit with a grounded heavy. i.e. when you hit them while they're in an attack animation.
Not necessarily 100% true

Not all heavy attacks will crush counter. Also back dashes and missed DP's are susceptible to crush counters.

I think its a good game. Shame its getting slammed in reviews because of the lack of single player content on launch but they kinda deserve it.

I think its a good game. Shame its getting slammed in reviews because of the lack of single player content on launch but they kinda deserve it.

They were going to get chewed up either way. If they waited to launch with full features? Competitive players would have been frothing at the mouth.

They needed better PR to explain it. On the plus side, the people who are going to keep the game alive have already picked it up, and the people who are the most angry are many of the "finish single player content and move on" types... so multiplayer will stay alive and well. 8000 people on Steam alone right now. Add in xplatform, and there's not a fighter that can touch those numbers.

soo uhhh
how does coming from lights work? Is it like SF4 where you have to link another light or something like that before you can cancel into a special move?

With Chun you can do c.lk c.lp s.lp qcf hk lightning legs but it feels finicky at this point.

this image sums up my thoughts on SFV before the beta hit.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vckFtbldQVy5wbmcifQ.76e9vtWMHo_pAjqcjxWrMe__qiY.png

I don't know why just i feel kinda shitty just going off and getting the refund. :I

I mean I see little hints of Alpha in the game there can be some cool juggles with some characters but... I feel like Capcom didn't really experiment on this game. That the main core of the playstyle is fairly similar to SF4. Sure scaling has been toned back so Combos actually do damage and using your super at an end of a long combo doesn't really hurt you. Idk the whole V-Skill and V-Trigger thing was a weird way of making each character special. If I was designing the game I would have kept the V-Skills the same but I would have made the V-Trigger universally act more like the V-ism from SFA with slight specific buffs to each of the characters. So With Ryu he would still have his Parry V-Skill, but his V-Trigger would make his juggle/combo potential better with his special moves causing more stun on hit. (The charge FireBalls is dumb because in SFV currently Projectiles can easily countered or avoided, and charging makes Ryu a sitting duck)

Idk... I just wanted SF to get back into some crazier looking combos just like from the older games. But what ever I'm just one guy and if you enjoy it then that's alright.

Reactions: Rakurin
I just wanted a fighting game with a functional online

took a while but finally seems to work

Reactions: Spencer
I don't like how much the game takes from 3s. Would have much rather a more ST kinda vibe. ST is fun... 3s is work... Lol.

Lots of ch only or standing/crouching only, combos. Makes me play more against me, than my opponent.
The throw game seems good at least. But the game feels to simple from a neutral perspective and to complicated from a combo/blockstring perspective.

The exact opposite of what I like/feel at home in.

Idk... I just wanted SF to get back into some crazier looking combos just like from the older games. But what ever I'm just one guy and if you enjoy it then that's alright.

Man I dunno what you were thinking even pre ordering the game if that's what you wanted. No offense.

Yeah, that was never a direction they were going in. Also you need to specify 'older games' because stuff like v-ism is actually an outlier not used much.

I don't have any strong opinions at this time, but I think it's funny how people here (and elsewhere) are comparing SFV to Ultra, 3S, Alpha 3, and ST. More apt comparisons would be to SFIV, SFIII, Alpha, and SFII.

I really don't get the anger at lack of single content.

If Capcom had told me they were going to have an expansive story mode and focused on online being godlike and I got this, I would be in the streets with a pitchfork.

But they didn't, it was clear they wanted this to be a "you vs him" fightan game.

If there were bugs happening during versus and shit I could understand anger, but I don't see why people would buy a game for what it isn't.

I don't buy Bayonetta for it's platforming and social media integration.

Reactions: Smilax
SFV isn't gonna get an expansion rerelease where it will get an added subtitle so it will inevitably be compared to those games for better or worse.

I really don't get the anger at lack of single content.

If Capcom had told me they were going to have an expansive story mode and focused on online being godlike and I got this, I would be in the streets with a pitchfork.

But they didn't, it was clear they wanted this to be a "you vs him" fightan game.

If there were bugs happening during versus and shit I could understand anger, but I don't see why people would buy a game for what it isn't.

I don't buy Bayonetta for it's platforming and social media integration.
Capcom literally campaigned months ago about how the game will target to a more causal audience and like it or not casuals like their single player fluff in 2016 fighters that help justify their $60 purchases. They said specifically how they would improve their single player front with story mode for example after seeing the positive reception/great sales of MK9/Injustice at the time. That 'wait until March/June/whatever for the real one' didn't sit well with casuals that expect 'complete' games when they buy it.

Basically if Capcom wanted to market SFV like how SFIV was and gave little fucks about the single player experience like in that game everything would have been fine. People would have expected it at least. SFV direction was more casual friendly in an effort to attract a bigger casual audience that they so lacked before so they vocally made all these promises in interviews.

Granted this can mostly be solved month/s from now but it's irrelevant for launch impression now because Capcom wanted to rush the release for tourney reasons which casuals don't give a fuck about. All you need to do is see MetaCritic User Scores, Steam reviews, comments in that AlphaOmega video, etc to get an idea that in 2016 the casual audience is not satisfied anymore with the classic training + versus formula that worked in the 20th/early 21st century in fighters

Anyway Capcom just mentioned they are looking into adding an Arcade mode too. Kind of weird they have to 'look into' for such a basic mode that even Skullgirls managed to ship with that.

Reactions: clawmaster
Did they? Never saw it.

Well if they did then roast em alive.

Hopefully by March or June or whenever it fixes enough so I can give an impression that won't make me look like an unfair asshole apparently
I don't think giving an opinion based on what they gave you is unfair, not acknowledging some of those problems will be rectified eventually may be, but not judging it for what it is.

I really wish Nash's EX Sonic Scythe was an actual reversal, the fact that it isn't is mind boggling.

It is what it is. Capcom fucked up hard. They are depending on the Esports and Competitive scene to carry this game right now, while they fix the game, and add all the single player content in the coming year. What really hurts them is that the game still has bugs that also effect the mutiplayer *coughVegaflyingcough* alongside only letting 1 player to able to select character change for the 2nd player since 2nd player doesn't have any options at all after a match is done. They are putting the FGC over the casual audience and at the end of the day gamers are not happy with yet another game that comes out broken or another game lack of content. We have already seen what happen to such games *Assassins Creed Unity, and Halo Collection* and this added to the fire, gamers are not happy with. So hopefully capcom comes out quickly otherwise this game will be skipped by alot of people and could bite capcom in the ass down the road.

other then that the mutiplayer is great! just everything around it sucks. can't tell you how I was at work listening to giantbomb today and getting mad thinking about the problems this game has.

They were going to get chewed up either way. If they waited to launch with full features? Competitive players would have been frothing at the mouth.
Not if they kept having betas, IMO.

They are putting the FGC over the casual audience
No, they are not. With the number of things they did wrong or left out UI-wise, lack of DirectInput support or key bindings etc, this is not a game for the FGC either. It's just a game without features, period, and anyone who plays it should be upset at parts. The FGC moreso, because the more you play it the more the lack of things that streamline play is affecting you.

multiplayer will stay alive and well. 8000 people on Steam alone right now. Add in xplatform, and there's not a fighter that can touch those numbers.
http://steamcharts.com/app/307780#All Ignoring the latest numbers because of discontinued PC port, look at the falloff.
http://steamcharts.com/app/45760#All
People keep thinking the FGC is bigger than it is. 38k for SF5 on launch day down to 8k today.
I don't think it's fair to discount people who are turned off by it being an incomplete release as "weren't gonna stick around anyway", either.
[edit]
One more link
http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=street+fighter
Owners vs players for any of those.

@Mike_Z

Oh it is absolutely going to fall off. But it will also level off. That's the FG way. SF is going to get play regardless of how big a piece of shit it ultimately is. It's as much an institution as it is a game. I just can't see it going anywhere.

Plus, there isn't a single fighter I can think of that occupies the same space as SF outside of perhaps RT. Just counting PC fighters with an online community, we pretty much only have KOFXIII, SG, and Xrd. SG and Xrd are too different to occupy that space, and KOF is just not as popular for some reason. Maybe KI can put a dent in it. I'm guessing the median age of PC gamers is a bit older than console gamers, so it might be able to eek out some nostalgic appeal. But just judging by KIs console release, it doesn't look like it. So I think SFV is going to be the monolithic FG for the next few years.

Also, with KI coming to PC... gun to your head, do you play KI or SFV?

Not if they kept having betas, IMO.
Or just did full time beta testing up to launch, I doubt we'd ever see it implemented for a company like Capcom, but the Endless Beta system was a lot better than than what we're getting.
No, they are not. With the number of things they did wrong or left out UI-wise, lack of DirectInput support or key bindings etc, this is not a game for the FGC either. It's just a game without features, period, and anyone who plays it should be upset at parts. The FGC moreso, because the more you play it the more the lack of things that streamline play is affecting you.
In their mind at the very least, if not in reality, wouldn't the FGC base be on PS4 anyway? And an answer to one of your problems to me seems like "Well, everyone had 360 sticks for SFIV, so that's the required control method".

I'm not sure why even bother with a PC port if that was their logic since they launched the game without basic features for non FGC and didn't cover any control method that wasn't a 360 pad down to not including the ability to rebind your keyboard when you're forced to use joy2key. (there being literally no way to have local versus outside of using controllers you may not have)
http://steamcharts.com/app/307780#All Ignoring the latest numbers because of discontinued PC port, look at the falloff.
http://steamcharts.com/app/45760#All
People keep thinking the FGC is bigger than it is. 38k for SF5 on launch day down to 8k today.
I don't think it's fair to discount people who are turned off by it being an incomplete release as "weren't gonna stick around anyway", either.
[edit]
One more link
http://steamspy.com/search.php?s=street+fighter
Owners vs players for any of those.
While you're not wrong about falloff being a problem, you're talking about the Steam numbers of SFV when PS4 is as far as I know the more relevant platform to FGC people. The servers being the same also helps, and honestly almost all my matches have been against PS4 players.

I'm not excusing port issues other people are facing, or the PC playerbase falling, just bringing up the rest of the picture.

I'm surprised this got resolved (mostly) in less than a week. I've heard a few people are still having issues, but those numbers are much less than before.

More Character Guides!

Reactions: Smilax
For those interested, Gooteck's book is free. I've no idea if it is good or not, but I'm just passing it along.

Link

So I think SFV is going to be the monolithic FG for the next few years.
I don't disagree, despite the fact that - as a product, completely ignoring gameplay - it quite frankly doesn't deserve to be. The Power of Branding, mostly, and spending lots of money to host events for your game.

In their mind at the very least, if not in reality, wouldn't the FGC base be on PS4 anyway?
It's still lacking basic features on PS4...

gun to your head, do you play KI or SFV?
If forced to pick? KI, it's not even a choice really.

KI's got Rash from Battletoads and soon the Arbiter

street fighter got banana head is-he-American-Japanese-or-Japanese-American Man

kI don't see any competition

Anybody know what you need to do to get a rank in this game? Played a bunch of ranked matches yesterday and today, won most of them, still not ranked. I wanna see if I'm rank 96331 or not!!!

KI is physically painful to look at
SFV might be ugly but I don't fear for my safety just looking at it

Yeah as long as we're talking about shitty UI flow and what not I guess I'll rattle off a bunch of issues.

- locking in a 'favorite character' for your ranked matches is unintuitive and awkward.
- training mode settings are not saved between sessions, unless you come directly back to the training mode after getting matched with someone
- Lobby creation options are not saved, neither is lobby search options
- Lobbies default to no character select and best of 1 which is pretty awful
- No 'rematch' button in lobbies. The game has to reload the lobby and go though character select after every set. That said, you can change how many matches are in a 'set' before it goes back to the lobby screen. Better than SF4's system but just barely.
- Can't filter lobbies by connection
- Filled or abandoned lobbies stay in the search index for WAY too long. Something around ~10 mins before a filled lobby is removed from your search results. This makes it incredibly hard to find a lobby that's not full or 'does not exist' and the search only ever returns a maximum of 6 lobbies at once which makes things even harder and it takes a long time for lobby searches to show ping bars and flags.
- The game takes forever to load player-stats at the start of every match, even casual and lobby matches have to wait for the server to give you the player's ranking information
- They should have used GGPO, not much more needs to be said about the netcode.
- In PS4 vs. PC, the PC player's screen goes COMPLETELY white while waiting for the PS4 player's game to load. This is very annoying to me since I suffer from eye strain problems.
- The load-save state function is bound to the Right Stick so its difficult or impossible to use on an arcade stick.
- Controller support is crappy on both platforms (legacy controller issues, D-input)
- Trying to find your most recently played opponents to add them is a chore and a half. You have to go though about 5 different menus.
- Player ID search barely works, will only return exact matches.
- No player to player messages of any kind.

I enjoy the game but I'll be damned if it isn't a pain in the ass to get the game to do ANYTHING more complicated than queuing up for another ranked/casual match.

Reactions: Datagram
Why can't I set my own delay... This netplay is so hit or miss.

Oh wow, apparently alt+tab'ing can "transfer" lag to your opponent:

This is starting to look like SFxT all over again, with the netcode issues.

I don't like how this game feels... I don't know if it's because I'm used to other fighting games, but it seems to be lacking combos? I have like... 2 with Nash, and they're just ending variations. Even with V-Trigger they just get extended into the exact same combo. I'll probably keep playing the game for now, but I don't think my enjoyment for it will last as long as their previous games did.

Angry Joe rant finally got around. Take with grain of salt if your gonna watch like 30 min of this.