• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Clearly, this means SFV's timeline confirmed for before and after SF3
Have actually discussed this with Sotherius a bit, and while I doubt that would actaully happen I think it would be cool because it means SFIII characters will be in as well over time, including ones who couldn't be otherwise such as Necro. Plus a sense of progression would at least make it somewhat interesting.

Me saying he wasn't in another Street Fighter game multiple times and then later in the same argument saying the same thing but assuming the person in the conversation understood what I was saying so skipping having to type "Street Fighter" has nothing to do with Alex or Urien appearing outside of Street Fighter in games that weren't popular anyway.

That point is also lost anyway because Karin was in Fighting Evolution, so there is no reason to argue this because the person was wrong anyway, and getting to this point requires you to ignore Karin's popularity and Ono talking about Mika for years.
I'm aware you said street fighter. It's why I brought up TvC, because I didnt see a reason to exclude other games; using other games as examples, I wouldnt call Captain falcon or Arthur "long time no see" characters just because they havent appeared in a non-crossover game in over 10 years. Perhaps you disagree, but that's how I view it. And I dont see why popularity has anything to do with when they appeared or why you brought it up. I wasnt arguing about popularity or saying that a character didnt deserve to get in.

Also, I actually wasnt aware that Karin was in Fighting Evolution (never played it), but even so that game came out over ten years ago and I'm not aware of her existence in any game after that.

I dunno dude, maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're arguing. I'll try reading this again after I wake up

I'm aware you said street fighter. It's why I brought up TvC, because I didnt see a reason to exclude other games; using other games as examples, I wouldnt call Captain falcon or Arthur "long time no see" characters just because they havent appeared in a non-crossover game in over 10 years. Perhaps you disagree, but that's how I view it.
This is why I posted the actual quotes, showing that it's not just about how they haven't been in any game in a while.
Matt Dahlgren also re-confirms that there will be eight "most known" Street Fighter characters, four brand new fighters, and four that haven't been seen in a long time from the main games, as the launch roster. Also discussed are the implications of Street Fighter 5 as a progressive platform as opposed to a one-off game.

According to Dahlgren, we'll be seeing eight classic characters "that you'd expect in a Street Fighter game," and four are characters from previous games that haven't been seen in some time, such as Nash and R. Mika.
You can't tell me Urien is one of the most known characters from Street Fighter. And it says haven't been seen for a long time in the main games for the 4 "long time no see" characters so TvC is irrelevant.

And I dont see why popularity has anything to do with when they appeared or why you brought it up. I wasnt arguing about popularity or saying that a character didnt deserve to get in.
Because saying the Siliconera leak can't just be coincidence because it included 2 correct characters who were one of Ono's favorites and one of Japan's favorites is silly. I will also point out that the Karin/Mika article was separate from the Alex/Urien article as well.

Also, I actually wasnt aware that Karin was in Fighting Evolution (never played it), but even so that game came out over ten years ago and I'm not aware of her existence in any game after that.
And in this argument Urien was brought up as having been in Fighting Evolution therefore not qualifying for "long time no see" despite everything else to the contrary.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I don't know how to explain this better; I'm not saying the leak is wrong and Alex and Urien aren't in, all I have said is we have the color chart, what the NA Capcom PR rep said about the returning cast and the roster so far making it very unlikely that they are in the launch roster unless the PR rep doesn't actually know or is in fact just lying.

I want Alex and Urien in, and as I've said before in this thread, even recently, Capcom Cup would be the place for them, just like TGS was always going to be Karin, but I don't have any actual belief that this will happen now, not that I think it's impossible either, but as things stand it looks unlikely.

And then again, as also stated, they could be early DLC, which would be pretty obvious since having no SFIII characters at launch and then having two of the most iconic characters from that game (not that they're exactly iconic in any real sense other than representing that game) near launch as DLC would be a pretty smart move to squeeze some more money from fans, I'm certainly willing to bet Juri will be early DLC for the same reason.

lol SFV going MKX style nice. Hopefully the other outfits are clues to where they are taking the single player experience too.

Reactions: Shockdingo
For the love of this thread, stop it.
That was what I tried to do with the end of the post, yeah.

@Covenant
@AdenPhoenix

For the love of this thread, stop it.
It was mostly on topic (discussing official comments about the SFV roster), polite, and, at least for me, was an actual attempt to communicate and understand what the other person was saying, which is the entire point of a forum. In this case it was my fault due to a typo(different post/forum). Sorry if two or three post a day out of many are not to your liking, but with all due respect no rules were being broken, nothing was spiteful, and as you can see an understanding was reached.

EDIT:
@ AdenPhoenix
he never said "classic" All he said was "previous games". The person who wrote that article assumed (it's not a bad one but it is still an assumption) he meant only Street Fighter. (Around 4:14:00 http://www.twitch.tv/gamestop/v/14086108)

That said, aside from some semantics I've been agreeing with you since the very beginning
I overall agree that Alex and Urien would be "long time no see" characters (And I personally cant see both being in the initial roster), But Alex's last Appearance was TvC. That's Just 5-7 Years ago (2008/2010) depending on region. And the game came out after Vanilla SFIV in their respective regions.
My only point was that Alex was seen 5 years ago, not that he and Urien were likely. Heck I dont think either will show up, but if one showed up I think it would be Alex. I said nothing about any of the other things you brought up: leaks, popularity, etc; the fact that I dont think both will be in the game (and the fact that Karin took the last "long time no see" slot) means that I dont believe the leak. I've neither said nor implied that Alex and Urien would be in the game, which is why I dont understand why you've brought up arguments against them.

I've literally been agreeing with you about pretty much everything the whole time...

Last edited:
Speaking of things that are not Alex or Urien, I hope one of Birdie's costumes is a reference to Russel from Gorillaz
:y

I hope one of Birdie's costumes isn't fat but that would require them thinking it's okay for the hit box to be bigger than the character, which is a thing in 3S at least, but I don't know if they ever did that in IV.

Also for those of you who played IV for an actual period of time, did characters ever receive any drastic changes such as entire new moves or having moves removed in updates that weren't Omega mode?

I hope one of Birdie's costumes isn't fat but that would require them thinking it's okay for the hit box to be bigger than the character, which is a thing in 3S at least, but I don't know if they ever did that in IV.

Also for those of you who played IV for an actual period of time, did characters ever receive any drastic changes such as entire new moves or having moves removed in updates that weren't Omega mode?

Not off the top of my head. The only thing they did was add new ultras but I don't think that counts.

Yeah, that's not what I was looking for.

Which is a shame. I wanted Ryu's donkey kick back. :|

But besides that this game makes me so happy. You really don't want to make mistakes.

I said that so many times. But donkey kick and Shin shoryuken would make ryu 200% more awesome.

I said that so many times. But donkey kick and Shin shoryuken would make ryu 200% more awesome.
Well he does technically have ShinSho as an ex ha. I'm actually fine with that. It's a neat evolution like Ken having Shoryureppa as an ex.

I think saying "I want Shin-Shoryuken" means "I want the hit stop". Which I agree with, same for Donkey Kick.

I was thinking of someone else though when I asked though, but now I can't remember who.

Well he does technically have ShinSho as an ex ha. I'm actually fine with that. It's a neat evolution like Ken having Shoryureppa as an ex.
If doesn't take 50% life bar, and doesn't have the hit stop, is not a shin shoryuken. =D

Ha well I can agree with the both of you on that.

What's the next event coming up that we can assume Capcom will announce something at? I'm super bad at event schedules that aren't near me lol

What's the next event coming up that we can assume Capcom will announce something at? I'm super bad at event schedules that aren't near me lol
I don't know the next, but in October there will be the Brazil Game Show, and they already said that a new character will be revealed there (here)

Brazil Game Show then Paris Games week, both in October. Only one I remember after that is Capcom Cup in December.

Expect Laura at the Brazil Game Show.

What's the over under on Jiu Jitsu? We've already got a Capoeira girl.

Dates link

Reactions: Wenzel
Brazil Game Show then Paris Games week, both in October. Only one I remember after that is Capcom Cup in December.

Expect Laura at the Brazil Game Show.

What's the over under on Jiu Jitsu? We've already got a Capoeira girl.

Dates link

in b4 main

Does Sagat's Angry Scar count? He got it in SSFIV.

Just a reminder the stream schedule for Capcom tonight actually says "New character introduction" so either Karin was moved up or we're not done, and this is TGS so it's completely possible. Would make sense to reveal Sakura at the same event.

It could have just been moved though, and I think that's far more likely, I'm just saying what the schedule says. Probably is just be Combofiend or someone showing off Karin.

11:35 to 12:20 – Capcom TV! SP Street Fighter V and Momochi! New Character Introduction + Exhibition Match – A new Street Fighter V character is introduced and an exhibition match is played. Featuring Capcom Cup 2014 champion and pro gamer Momochi (of Evil Genius).
gematsu.com/2015/09/tokyo-game-show-2015-live-stream-schedule#1ddjbrU5m0jDQC5p.99

Last edited:
Ah okay that starts at 10:35 on EST then.

Last edited:
I don't think it's possible to take me away from my Mika but nonetheless i'm still very excited for the new reveals.

Yeah, so far it's just Ono and Momochi demoing characters. Nobody new past Karin.

As I said, it's probably nothing, but the way the schedule reads it was possible.

Not really? It's more similar (at least in aesthetics) to Oni's point-blank DP than the actual ShinSho. Not enough theatrics and flash imo.

Interview with producers. More talk about 'improving' the faces particularly the female fighters.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/283/G028398/20150920011/

Basically saying they are aware of the negative reaction [reporter notes the mass negative reaction to them particualry for Chun Li and Cammy] and little by little working to make their female fighters 'cuter' along with the other things. Also said something along the lines of 'keep in mind SFV is a 2d fighter made in Japan'. Producers also implied that even though ComboFiend records feedback/data to Japan developers, the fact that this is a Japan developed game makes Japanese fans have the most influential feedback.

Take that as you will. Wonder what the final product will look like.

Hey, you know that woman that has between 30 ~50 years old? let's make her more cute...

At least they are not changing chun that much.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Just to be clear, i don't mind they tweaking features and giving polish, but, i think it shouldn't go far from what the character is supposed to be.

Japanese fans have the most influential feedback.

Well I sure love being discriminated against.

This actually leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. I even LIKE what they're doing with the characters and I find this infuriating. Wow for the first time in my life I WANT Kotaku to post some kind of vicious overreaction article to this.

Last edited:
I rest my case >_>
EDIT I think a lot of people need to know about this bullshit. This is totally unfair to everyone that doesn't live in Japan. It's basically discrimination.

Last edited:
Man I hope you guys also enjoy participating in the vote for the next Xrd character.

Man I hope you guys also enjoy participating in the vote for the next Xrd character.
Of course. We all live in Japan and go to their arcades right? :^)

I mean, not having the chance to vote for a character because you don't live in a certain country is bad, but not having virtually any influence on the development on a game you plan to invest in because you don't live in a certain country is worse. And the feedback you see (like changing a character's face just because they want it a certain way) is insult to injury.

Well to be fair, how much input do Japanese fans have for Western games when compared to Western fans?

Reactions: Wenzel