• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

SWATting

Jimbob

Fumako
Reaction score
Steam
Steamy
PSN
jimbobq48
XBL
Xx-_jamboob2_-xX
Cerebella Big Band Fukua
If you haven't heard of it, recently streamers and youtubers have been getting "swated". Swating is when someone gets your personal information and uses it to get the police to raid your home or work by reporting fake crimes. This has been happening rather increaseingly. What is your guy's take on this?

I love how actually ruining someone's life has become entertainment for some mentally deranged people...
i dont

Not an hour ago I saw a news article on this becoming a thing in the US, and I live on the other side of the world.

It's obviously dumb for a number of reasons, but so long as there are good tools for protecting your anonymity when making phone calls, etc. it's not something you can really prevent.

I will bet that someone is going to die from this shit.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
Been thinking, if you could get swat to peoples houses, what else could you do?

I remember about a news article about one guy swatting another player of Call of Duty after he was beaten by him.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
I will bet that someone is going to die from this shit.
not likely. the most a SWAT team will do is bust down your door, see that you're doing nothing wrong, then leave. they're not gun crazed maniacs, they only will engage if the situation calls for it.

not likely. the most a SWAT team will do is bust down your door, see that you're doing nothing wrong, then leave. they're not gun crazed maniacs, they only will engage if the situation calls for it.
Becuase it's not like they screw up enough that people have bothered to make a map of it.

if you looked in the past 4 years though, the only incident that cost a person their life was because of an accident. there weren't even any problems last year involving the SWAT team.

Becuase it's not like they screw up enough that people have bothered to make a map of it.
I love how there's a huge cluster in the whole ny/nj area. Stay classy NYPD.

Daww, really? I had so much hope on that...
I'm sorry for posting it then

Well the thought of it was interesting at least.

A bit more then that.
I was mainly going by what AlphaOmegaSin said on the subject when he first talked about it.

Honestly, something like that could be one of the best things to happen right now. Get them to keep their e-peen in check.

Reactions: chickenwithtie
wow, the world is just full of shits.
I should be surprised, disgusted, astounded even. But all I can think is "Boy it took a while for people to start with this"

I hope there will be real punishment on this. Isn't it illegal to make fake reports(expecially big ones like terrorism)?

Doesn't it like waste tax payer money or something? I'd assume so.

Yes filing a false police report is a crime and it does waste tax payer money.

I hope there will be real punishment on this. Isn't it illegal to make fake reports(expecially big ones like terrorism)?

yus.
yus there are.
it depends on where you are though.
Over here in maryland you can get a fine and no more than 6 months jail time. but some states can put you away for anywhere between 3-6 years. California can put you away for an "indefinite amount of time". and these are just for false reports of crime. I would imagine the punishment for falsely reporting terrorism is much more harsh.

Especially when you consider that you can be indirectly responsible for another person being injured or killed, and if you're a salty little shit that does it after getting pwnd in COD then it's possible that a prosecutor could argue that them getting shot was part of the intention (especially having just come out of a game where shooting people is the primary goal).

Now that I think about it closing the Rage Quit thread was a good idea, what if someone in here got Swatted oh my

what do you mean?
node asked specifically for someone else to swat him.
I'm more worried that someone may have done it.

Wait, isn't this exactly what Parasoul does with her super? MIKE HOW COULD YOU CONDONE THIS?

Reactions: Jimbob and CapnWTF
Kids will be kids. They do stupid things without realizing the consequences until it's too late. What's scary to me is that it only takes a phone call and some convincing words to have law enforcement invade your house and point thousands of dollars worth of firearms at your head.

They aren't messing around and they aren't taking any chances at any risk.

There's a difference between being a kid and just being an asshole who is taking resources away from important things and wasting tax payer money just because they're having a tantrum over something that isn't real. Where are these kids parents, why are they just letting them do things like this to other people.

Reactions: Jimbob
Where are these kids parents, why are they just letting them do things like this to other people.
That's a great question.

I don't think kids, I think... MAN-CHILDS!!

Many parents believe their children are too smart to do dumb things until there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I know this from personal experience.

Reactions: drewski
Many parents believe their children are too smart to do dumb things until there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I know this from personal experience.
Because you were a dumb kid, or because you have dumb kids?

The former.