• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

#SwoleHeart - Fitness Thread

Mr. X

Groovy
Reaction score
Thread for anyone into exercising, lifting, running, yoga, etc. or interested and looking for knowledge and advice or just want a support system to share their progress/experience.

It's incredibly important to take care of our bodies. Not only do I feel better, I felt a positive change in my mental health as well.

Here's a progress pic I took at 6 months.

ieu9HYagioKlh.png

Too often do people neglect their own bodies, they let themselves waste away thinking that physical fitness is unimportant compared to the sharpness of the mind. What they don't know is that these two things go hand in hand, along with spiritual fulfillment if you seek it.

Of course it's important to love yourself no matter how you look, but it's a fact that being in good shape will improve all aspects of your life. I think I know a lot about physical fitness and nutrition so I'll follow this thread closely and help anyone who asks for advice.

Thanks for this thread. Reminded me that I need to get off my ass and start doing some yoga, which is something I've been meaning to try for a long while.

I've never been an especially active person, but about three years ago I took a tai-chi class in college (a kinesthetics class was required :s) and I enjoyed it. I never realized how flexible I was and it led to me getting into other types of exercise, eventually leading to what I would say was the best shape I had ever been in my life. Then, two summers ago, I hurt my knee pretty badly and couldn't walk for a couple weeks and didn't feel comfortable doing heavy exercise until at least six months had passed. Of course, I COMPLETELY fell off the wagon and have pretty much been idling since then. Getting started is so hard; the complete lack of muscle from idling for so long makes it really difficult to do even basic things like push-ups (I can pretty much do like... 5-10 in total before I'm wiped and have to do them with my knees on the ground).

I figure yoga is a good way to slowly build muscle (from like, rock-bottom) and help rekindle my flexibility. Plus, it seems fun and calming. I'm pretty much just posting this as incentive to get off my ass so every time I see this thread maybe I'll feel obligated. I know from experience that it's much easier once you're in the swing of things, so does anyone have any general tips for getting started (edit: I mean fitness in general, not just yoga)?

Last edited:
I know from experience that it's much easier once you're in the swing of things, so does anyone have any general tips for getting started (edit: I mean fitness in general, not just yoga)?
One word, RUN. Running is one of the easiest and best ways to stay in shape. Actually any kind of aerobic exercise will do as long as your heart is beating and your lungs are burning. Jogging, swimming, cycling, all really fun outdoor activities that will build up your stamina and give you an excuse to go outside and enjoy the fresh air.

Remember, the heart is the most important muscle in your body, train that first.

Glad to see this thread - I used to follow the fitness thread on SRK back in the day but I think it died. I've been neglecting my routine for a while but now that the weather is improving I want to get back into it.

I highly recommend jumping rope. I do it 30 minutes on my cardio days [5 min jumping 1 min rest x 5 or 6] and I just enjoy it more than running indoors on a treadmill.

I need a new rope actually.

Reactions: Denizen and drewski
Is there proper technique to jumping rope or anything like that? I mostly do running and bodyweight because I hate the idea of having lots of equipment lying around the place, but that could be something I'd do.

Is there proper technique to jumping rope or anything like that? I mostly do running and bodyweight because I hate the idea of having lots of equipment lying around the place, but that could be something I'd do.
Just dont jump really high and keep your knees slightly bent as opposed to straight.

I try mixing up how I jump during. Basic both feet jumping, alternating like walking/run, knee highs, criss cross, etc. There a lot of fun ways to jump the rope.

If you're just starting out, aim for 3 min intervals like a boxing round.

I'll try to restrict myself from talking about martial arts, but for real it's the best 'cause not only are you training every muscle in your body but your also learning how to kick someone's ass at the same time.

Reactions: pivottester
Fencing is a lot harder work than I thought a lot of good workout from that, I love it

Reactions: Cas Chronon
I like to run with my dog
And lift weights in my garage every so often

But if I'm away from home and can't do either I do a exercise routine before bed

This thread right here will be useful to me. Already in shape though I plan to incorporate doing cardio more. Being that I'm asthmatic I have to stay in shape anyways
Any tips on forearms and abs kinda wanna mix my regiment and I don't know to many things I can do for those two specifically

This thread right here will be useful to me. Already in shape though I plan to incorporate doing cardio more. Being that I'm asthmatic I have to stay in shape anyways
Any tips on forearms and abs kinda wanna mix my regiment and I don't know to many things I can do for those two specifically
I find Spider Crawls to be fun and makes me feel the burn http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/spider-crawl

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
A lot of the muscles and tendons in your forearms continue down into your wrist and hands, so anything that forces you to grip something hard and move your hands and wrists around will do. I recommend plate workouts, but if you don't have access to gym equipment then a simple hand grip will do.

There are hundreds of things you can do to work out your core. My senior wrestling season started last week and at the end of each practice we sit in a circle and do fifteen reps of each guys choosing until the circle is complete.
Look up some common workouts online and make a list that you can go through at the end of your workout.

Thanks I actually do go to the gym at least 4xs a week I figured there were isolated workouts for forearms but nonetheless good info and @Mr.X the spider crawl looks interesting

Don't go vegetarian, gluten free, or make any major change in your diet without consulting a health professional first. Those diets aren't much healthier anyway, be sure to educate yourself on what you're doing.

*Rams a fistful of raw protein into his own mouth and leaves*

Found some interesting ab workouts to go with the spider crawl

Bottoms Up
Spell Caster
Butt Ups to name a few

So I want to pump my arms and bust a bit, but I have a littl' doubt, may I ask a dumb question?
If in the future I won't be able to exercise for a good while, will the muscles 'flop'?
I'm very thin and proud of my figure as it is, but I want to make some muscles for important practical reasons LIKE LIFT CUTE GIRLS but I'm afraid that if I'll have to stop practicing, what I've done till then will go null, or even worse I might get fat. So what do you say?

Reactions: Denizen
I've been meaning to get back into working out again. I mainly just want to lose this gut I got. :P its kinda hard to get back in though, especially since I was doing so well before the convention last month.

hopefully I'll also be able to use a bike more if I'm finally able to move to a different house. I do

OH shit theres a fitness thread gotta jump on this one to put in my two cents (I am really passionate about this stuff "a healthy body is a healthy mind")

So Ill start
So I want to pump my arms and bust a bit, but I have a littl' doubt, may I ask a dumb question?
If in the future I won't be able to exercise for a good while, will the muscles 'flop'?
I'm very thin and proud of my figure as it is, but I want to make some muscles for important practical reasons LIKE LIFT CUTE GIRLS but I'm afraid that if I'll have to stop practicing, what I've done till then will go null, or even worse I might get fat. So what do you say?
your muscles wont 'flop' but you will begin to notice less strength in your arms (assuming your doing muscle strength training and not growth)
If your doing growth well then in about 2 months youll have flabby arms if your diet is not modified to reflect the decrease in muscle activity

For all you guys looking to incorporate more cardio I would suggest longer warm ups that ups the intensity (I warm up for 30 minutes on a bike and aim to bike 10 miles in 30 minutes and burn about 400-500 calories) Another great cardio exercise is the bitch method (yes I know stupid term) what this method means is you take ridiculously low amounts of weight but you do a ridiculous amounts of reps eg. 100 squats with 20 pound medicine ball.

For all you high weight guys I cant help you much (not a fan of the bulk)

Also for ab workouts the lift your legs 4" of the ground works really well, the brazilian jujitsu situps are insanely difficult, and v ups are nice.

Lastly stretching I dont know how you guys feel about that but I incorporate it twice in my routine once after warming up and right before abs.

Im not trying to preach just thought Id give my two cents

I feel like this is a fear that a lot of people have, that strong muscles are something that have to be constantly maintained and failure to do so will cause them to sag or fatten more quickly than someone who's naturally thin.
This isn't true, people who've exercised in the past will be more likely to stay in shape then people who haven't.

I say work out now when you have the chance if you think you won't be able to in the future.

Hmm, I may have to follow this thread. I need to get up off my butt and start working out. Tired of feeling tired all the time.

What types of exercises would some of you suggest doing for someone starting out again?

Hmm, I may have to follow this thread. I need to get up off my butt and start working out. Tired of feeling tired all the time.

What types of exercises would some of you suggest doing for someone starting out again?
What do you want to focus on? eg: strength, bulk, general fitness, cardio, balance

Like I said before, heart first then body. High intensity aerobic exercises that use all of your muscles.
Swimming is really good, if you have access to a pool then take advantage of that.

I've been used to the bitch method mainly because I feel its more comfortable. Plus, I like the idea of working with a specific weight until you're used to it. :P kinda reminds me of that jumping episode of samurai jack.

Like I said before, heart first then body.
High intensity aerobic exercises that use all of your muscles.
I would have to say its abs and heart first. A strong core is the foundation of all other muscle groups

I would have to say its abs and heart first. A strong core is the foundation of all other muscle groups
If we're talking about actual fitness then the heart is the most important muscle in your body and deserves priority. This is the order I consider best for new people. Heart>Core>Extremities>Etc.

Abdominal workouts can often be aerobic anyway.

What do you want to focus on? eg: strength, bulk, general fitness, cardio, balance
Ah, sorry.

Mainly general fitness. Right now, I need to work on simply getting back into decent shape. Eventually, once I do, I plan on doing cardio. As much as I hate running, I know its necessary.

Well it's a good thing I'm moving to Puerto Rico soon. Plenty of mountains nearby to climb, I might get into waveboarding, and get back into my old DDR/In the Groove routine. But I think buying weights will be a good start since I already do enough leg exercises (biking is my only transportation at the moment).

Ah, sorry.

Mainly general fitness. Right now, I need to work on simply getting back into decent shape. Eventually, once I do, I plan on doing cardio. As much as I hate running, I know its necessary.
If your going for general fitness Id be doing some extended bike, rowing, treadmill, or eliptical work. Id say to start off I would go with an easy pace for about 1 hour and try to increase the amount of calories or distance traveled everytime you work out. Once you dont feel like your going to throw up after doing an hour at a relatively difficult intensity I'd say your ready to move on to other stuff. For ab workouts Id start off with ordinary crunches, some planks, some squigles (balance on your tailbone and tap the ground on each side of you body with your fingers while keeping your feet from touching the ground, you dont have to keep your legs out to do this) just to get started off.

Eh, i really should work out but it's been difficult because school is really exerting because i'm practically working in a restaurant for 6 hours and on friday i'm basically working around an 11 hour shift.

i mean it's helping me lose weight but it's just so hard to not be lazy on my days off.

Don't forget about having a proper diet as well. Exercise and good eating go hand in hand.

When I started out, I had a 3 day full body routine basically. I think it was curls, rows, bench, another tricep exercise, squats and leg press. In between days I was doing cardio and abs. I did that for several months, was learning form and setting up the foundation.

Remember, form is the most important thing. Don't worry about the weight, make sure you are doing the exercises with correct motions and form. If you feel you form getting sloppy, go lighter.

I like this from NeoGAF's OP in their fitness thread

What program to pick (Beginner's programs)

If you are reading this for the first time, you are a beginner. And if you're a beginner, you should get started with a program which will ensure maximum gains and excellent form.
Stick with the program, it's tried and true, don't switch out things without asking more experienced Gaffers if it might work (in the event you got a particular injury you're aware of, for an example).

Like with starting any fitness routine, you are responsible for your own health and advised to seek out a physician before you start for a health check-up.

Full Body
I recommend this one to all beginners, but furthermore, I recommend purchasing Starting Strength. A good guide on that program can be found here. It is one of the single greatest training resources out today. It combines science AND practice, and uses concepts that have been put into work with athletes since the 70's to help novices gained muscular bodyweight and increase strength.

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlifts - 1 set of 5
Pull-Ups - 3 sets of 8-15

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Overhead Press - 3 sets of 5
Power Cleans - 5 sets of 3
Abdominal work

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5
Bent Over Rows - 3 set of 5
Arm work, if desired

This routine will get you great gains, provided you are eating well. Your diet will dictate your gains, unless you just gain mass easily (fuck you). The only change that I can recommend is reducing the deadlift to a once-a-week lift once it plateaus or affects your recovery.

Alternate Full Body
Adapted from the book Practical Programming.

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Bench Press/Press - 3 sets of 5
Chin-ups - 3 sets to failure

Wednesday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Deadlift - 1 set of 5

Friday
Squat - 3 sets of 5
Pull-ups - 3 sets to failure

The bench press and the press are alternated every workout. Pull-ups are done with hands facing away from you, chin-ups with hands facing towards you.

For both programs once all sets are completed with no failed reps, add weight for the following workout (5lbs for press movements, 10lbs for lower body movements). When you start missing reps 2-3 workouts in a row, reset the weight about 10% on that movement only and continue to add weight as before. If smaller weight jumps are desired or required, do so with 2.5lbs and 5lbs jumps for upper and lower body movements, respectively. When linear progress in weight from workout to workout is exhausted (3 full resets for each movement) consider an upper/lower split or an intermediate program.
Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831799

Don't forget about having a proper diet as well. Exercise and good eating go hand in hand.

When I started out, I had a 3 day full body routine basically. I think it was curls, rows, bench, another tricep exercise, squats and leg press. In between days I was doing cardio and abs. I did that for several months, was learning form and setting up the foundation.

Remember, form is the most important thing. Don't worry about the weight, make sure you are doing the exercises with correct motions and form. If you feel you form getting sloppy, go lighter.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831799
Absolutely dude I honestly feel a lot of people don't focus on the form cause of the psychological pressure of doing what others are doing. Also love the thread thus far :)

Absolutely dude I honestly feel a lot of people don't focus on the form cause of the psychological pressure of doing what others are doing. Also love the thread thus far :)
Yeah, I have to keep reminding myself this. But it's like "I was doing this weight last week why am I looking sloppy!? ashfkjhfkjdshgkjdfag". I just have suck it up and go lighter even if it's just 1 set or 2.

That guy knows what he's talking about.

Took a month 9 progress pic and the difference in appearance to month 6 is shocking to me.

Looking forward to that year one and 18 months progress pics.

I am squatting and deadlifting 140lbs before including the bar's weight 5x5 now. I do weigh in at ~140 so I'm hype about that.

I'd totally take a topless selfie but I won't for two reasons.

1. I'm in the middle of wrestling season so my face is all burned and bruised.
I actually took a headbutt right to the mouth so my lip is all swollen.

2. I didn't get enough sun over the Summer so I've gone a little pale and it's hurt my self esteem.
One of my buds actually offered to come with him to a tanning salon.