• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

THE GUNDAM THREAD

sweet, Unicorn level animated mobile suits

also yuuichi nakamura is a very fitting choice for Io

so i haven't been keeping up w/ IBO
my approximate knowledge of the series is
juvspSq.gif

and apparently Mika and Orga get even worse

Thunderbolt looks really tight though
when's Crossbone

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
That gif is misleading, although QUALITY Atra is still adorable. If you really don't know that much about it, take a bit and watch a few of the episodes. The fights in the last few (they're in space now) have been excellent, not to mention they raided a ship with the mobile workers (the little tanks).

Reactions: SanoBaron
did you expect it to not look good? I can't wait to actually see the trailer when its not all crap quality
Origin has entirely CGI suits. Bit of a turnoff, but at least it's consistently CGI and not half/half

still haven't seen Origin actually, no time

the scenes with Char and his red Zaku make the CG worth it.

they go all out in making sure the CG is fluent in animation.

and apparently Mika and Orga get even worse
not really? I mean, they haven't really done anything that is terrible.

That gif is misleading, although QUALITY Atra is still adorable. If you really don't know that much about it, take a bit and watch a few of the episodes. The fights in the last few (they're in space now) have been excellent, not to mention they raided a ship with the mobile workers (the little tanks).
I love this series solely because it hasn't had any beam weapons.

Last edited:
Don't quite take gundamguy there at his word, he's got a history of being misinformed. That said, I do hope it does happen to be true for those who like the suit.

Why is this thing so adorable?

Why can it wear the 00 Raiser with zero balance issues?

Someone explain this to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20160211_020341_920-1.jpg
    IMG_20160211_020341_920-1.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 539
Is that there one of them gendem grills?
That is a Frame Arts Girl from Kotobukiya. They're also model kits, but they are super compatible with HG gunpla parts making for interesting possibilities.

dear god that ending, he's op

If that's not the definition of tryharding on a kitbash, I don't know what is.

I think the breakdown for this guy is:

00 (Q)uant as base suit
Age-1 Titus for arms
Hi Nu for backpack (leaning towards Heavy Weapons System)
Crossbone because capes (or exia repair II, but who even likes that suit?)
A few weapons from Sazabi, Wing Zero, and maybe one of the astray variants (sengoku and red do use twin katanas).

It's not as hard as you think it is. The hardest part in customizing or kitbashing is honestly the planning. Once you know how you're gonna do it, the actual doing isn't so bad. You don't even have to get that complicated with it to have one look nice.

Case in point, one I just finished recently.

IMG_20160125_220412_520-1.jpg
I did very little in terms of customizing, but I planned it out well.

So, i recently moved to this neighborhood and i have some doubts. Im watching thunderbolt, great so far, and i heard about the Origin one. Is good as thunderbolt? Any other similar? Thunderbolt and Origin schedule is like the rebuild of evangelion?

the Origin movies are centered around the backstory of Char and Sayla, they're good, but kinda redundant if you haven't watched or at least know of the events of 0079 yet

Yeah Origin is also good, the anime is serving as a prequel to the original 0079.

If you like Thunderbolt and Origin then I think you'd like 8th MS Team, 0083 Stardust Memory, or 0080 War In The Pocket.

Thunderbolt's a bit too different from the usual Gundam faire to really compare it to something (it is technically an alternate universe). War in the Pocket does lose a little bit of it's punch going in not knowing the basics of the series, but is good once you're at least a bit familiar with things. 8th MS team isn't bad though if you're more interested in the UC timeline from the perspective of the front line.

Also gonna leave this here.

{Free Jazz Intensifies}.jpg

Char's meeting Lalah is one of the few times he actually comes off as heroic in The Origin, so it should be good as long as they stick to the story.

so if you haven't seen the ending to the movie version of thunderbolt this is kinda a spolier, but not really
zeong thunderbolt.png
YO THEY EVEN SHOWED THE PSYCHO-ZAKU
sweet lord the way it ended definitely seems like they'll continue with thunderbolt!

That's kind of hard to say if it'll continue. Outside of the Atlas, there's not much else suit wise they could turn into kits (which is a huge deciding factor for them). If they do go further, they're gonna have to pick and choose what they do animate since it goes waaaaay off canon at the point they stopped.

every suit is kit-able
it's a matter if they decide to be lazy or not

I NEED HGS OF THOSE ACGUYS, ZGOKS, AND GOGGS

Direct continuation of thunderbolt?They just changed the name for attract more viewers?

what? Thunderbolt episode 5 is a direct continuation of Thunderbolt, Twilight Axis is a new show set 6 months after Unicorn.

It being so close to Unicorn did always bug me. Considering the suits and all, it feels like it should have been much closer to CCA (Char's Counter Attack for benefit of those not up on things) or even ZZ for that matter in the timeline. This is UC though, so I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, since all other side stories before it have made continuity basically pointless.

HERE IT IS

AND THUNDERBOLT EP 5 IS UP ON GUNDAMINFO'S YOUTUBE
Interesting, the beginning of the episode uses scenes from the end of the December Sky compliation that I saw at last year's Anime Expo.

Also I'm surprised that there was a variant of the Guntank that was said to be a failure and never was mass produced. My friend thinks that is evidence leaning towards the Thunderbolt series being sent in an alternate continuity.

My friend thinks that is evidence leaning towards the Thunderbolt series being sent in an alternate continuity.

Your friend is correct. Thunderbolt is acknowledged as an alternate timeline for the one year war. It's why stuff like that variant, or the gouf flight type are around. This is mostly true of all the side stories in UC, but a few work well enough to be properly put in the timeline (I.e Unicorn, the blue destiny saga, etc).