• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The "social media updates" thread - now with 99% less drama

Chrono_Tata

When's Adam
Reaction score
Steam
Chrono_Tata
PSN
Chrono_Tata
Cerebella Painwheel Unknown
So looks like the Skullgirls social media posted a new update with development of Umbrella's stage, Boardwalk.

Anything interesting you spotted or you wish you would see?

Personally:

- The fact there is an ice cream store named after the Egrets just indicate to me that Parasoul opened an entire ice cream store/franchise just for her sister
- The ice cream store interior looks amazing. Wish we could get that as a separate stage as well. The final design that shows the larger area is definitely better thematically though
- That frog is definitely gonna be important

- The fact there is an ice cream store named after the Egrets just indicate to me that Parasoul opened an entire ice cream store/franchise just for her sister
It definitely sounds like something Parasoul would do, lol. Depending on the timeline tho, maybe it was someone in the royal family's past that started it up? Especially if it's on the boardwalk, maybe it was started up by Franz or Nancy? Or maybe their parents or grandparents? Just some ideas.

Since we're focusing on the stage though, let's bring in the image they showed alongside Umbrella's announcement, because hoo boy this one's got character cameos:

451bcfa9f76c851cf8bd94a6e000317052a32e6d.png

So notable things here from left to right are:

- There's Sagan plushies in the crane machine, suggesting merch based on Annie of the Stars exists
- Umbrella's with Panzer ordering ice cream (which is just ADORABLE)
- Eliza is here chilling with Albus and Horace! I'm surprised there aren't any fans of hers flocking to her considering this IS a public space.
- I suppose this also suggests Eliza visits other parts of New Meridian, though if she's just chilling or has other motives is unclear.
- The frog mascot is holding red and yellow balloons...the same main colors as Parasoul and Umbrella. Coincidence? I think not! /s
- Parasoul is just standing on a ship. Does she own it? Are the Renoir family using it at all? What is she even doing there? Why is she not with Umbrella? Perhaps we may never know, as she stares endlessly into the abyss.

...anyway yeah lmao

The thing that struck me about Panzerfaust in that sketch was that he looks way too small lol. I feel like he is supposed to be quite a bit bigger. Also was a little disappointed it wasn't Adam taking Umbrella out for Operation Chocolate Dawn.

But yeah I'm sure the royal family probably own a few yachts. Maybe that's just how she took Umbrella to Broadwalk. Not gonna get there by road like a regular plebeian. :p

The stage does look pretty sparse so maybe it's the middle of the workday with less people, which is why celebrities like Para and Eliza decided to visit at the time, cause there would be less passers-by mobbing/staring at them lol. (Probably just thinking about it too hard and the real reason is they haven't populated the stage with other NPCs yet)

Reactions: Holy Goose
I just wanna know what games the arcade has. Maybe there's an old Nesica 2E cab.

Also was a little disappointed it wasn't Adam taking Umbrella out for Operation Chocolate Dawn.
Plot twist: Adam is The Frog.
Frog for a DLC character!

The new stage looks interesting, but I hope the final version will have the Ice Cream Truck. Come on, it's a fan favourite.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
I just wanna know what games the arcade has. Maybe there's an old Nesica 2E cab.
On that note, it was said that there are no videogames in the Skullgirls universe, but you can clearly see a game cabinet in the arcade, so probably that's another old lore that's gonna get de-confirmed lol. I'll wait for the stage to be finalised first before confirming that I guess.

The new stage looks interesting, but I hope the final version will have the Ice Cream Truck. Come on, it's a fan favourite.
Lol to be fair having both the ice cream shop and ice cream truck might be a bit of an overkill. I wonder if the shop and the truck are the same ice cream franchise?

Last edited:
Twitch Streams qualify as social media, right? Right. Anyways, possible Black Dahlia leak on today's Future Club steam.

The stream:
BLAAAASTING OFF! -- Skullgirls Umbrella Animation with PERSONASAMA
Timecode: 00:25:36-00:26:00

Personasama is drawing an Umbrella and Hungern dive attack when inexplicably the view switches to another Photoshop document for almost 30 seconds:
blkdahlia-stream.jpg
Streamer nor chat acknowledge it.

Future Club streamers like to do little doodles (see Umbrella, far left) along with the animation work, but this Black Dahlia looks too detailed to be a throw-away scribble. Throughout the 2 hours stream, it isn't seen again.

*cue X-Files theme*

Black Dahlia leaked? What do you think it means?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, completely missed that, lol.
Black Dahlia confirmed? I hope it to be true...

At one point, Personasama did mention something to the effect of, "Oops, viewers can see my stream interface," or something, but I don't remember when that was or if its even relevant.

The Umbrella doodle on the left makes this especially amusing.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Lol damn. The one stream I missed and something exciting happens! Looks pretty convincing.

But yeah most of the streams are pre-recorded so it's likely that he had the Umbrella recording playing for the stream and working on Dahlia on another screen, and probably accidentally switched to his working screen.

Edit: On second thought, since it looks so convincing, I'll edit the above posts for spoiler and black out the character name, just for the sake of people who might want to wait for an official announcement and don't wanna get spoiled. In the meantime let's refer to the character as "3rd DLC Character" or "DLC3" or something. Not sure how long we can keep it on the down low but we'll see lol.

Last edited:
That cross at the bottom is the anchor point. This definitely is not a doodle, it's for the game.

In case my edit to the previous post is missed, I just want to ask people if possible to spoiler the name of the character and maybe just refer to them as "3rd DLC Character" or "DLC3" or something. Just out of consideration for other players who might not want to get spoiled and for FC/HVS in case they wanna make announcement on it. Thanks!

Welp the stream seems to have been scrubbed so that kind of leads more intrigue to the idea that black dahlia was being teased. Shame because the 10th anniversary is coming up and I'd rather we go with Marie

I was hoping one of the arcade cabinet on the new stage could be the polybius cabinet. Which is a really cool, one of the first, arcade/videogame urban legends.

1634235611014.png

but im seeing the cabinet rocks the colors of future-club except for the color green. That's nice too.

leaked? What do you think it means
I think it means that the fandom was right about the third DLC character.
How unbelievably surprising, who'd have known.
And here am I, hoping that Umbrella's scrapped moveset ideas could mean something :PUN:

Before anyone get toooo excited though I feel like there are probably some other plausible explanations for the leak that might not mean the character will be the next character.

My own take on what else it could mean, in order of most likely to least likely:

- They are already way ahead of the curve and already doing basic animations for the 4th character of the Season - the frame being drawn appears to be a hitstun frame which is universal to every character - presumably the animators are already done with Umbrella animations, so maybe they are saving time on future works and animating common frames for future characters way in advance

- She turns out to be an unplayable boss character for Umbrella or the actual 3rd character (such as Marie?) - I think this is certainly plausible, especially since Dahlia would serve as a much more compelling boss for certain character's stories. The problem is animating a whole new character for a boss fight is a lot of work for not a lot of payoff, but on the other hand, those boss frames could be expanded into a full character in the future (e.g. the Shadaloo bosses in Street Fighter 2 not being playable in the original release but were made playable in future revisions)

- She might not even be in this Season but maybe they are drawing up frames for far future DLC characters - seems very unlikely especially with 2 more characters left in the season

- An intentional mislead? I don't think FC or HVS would do this though, and the fact the stream VOD got scrubbed seems to indicate an actual unintentional leak

Having said that, the simplest explanation is that it IS the 3rd character, so we'll see lol.

Twitch Streams qualify as social media, right? Right. Anyways, possible Black Dahlia leak on today's Future Club steam.

The stream:
BLAAAASTING OFF! -- Skullgirls Umbrella Animation with PERSONASAMA
Timecode: 00:25:36-00:26:00

Personasama is drawing an Umbrella and Hungern dive attack when inexplicably the view switches to another Photoshop document for almost 30 seconds:
Streamer nor chat acknowledge it.

Future Club streamers like to do little doodles (see Umbrella, far left) along with the animation work, but this Black Dahlia looks too detailed to be a throw-away scribble. Throughout the 2 hours stream, it isn't seen again.

*cue X-Files theme*

Black Dahlia leaked? What do you think it means?

One thing I've noticed is that
her gun arm and her regular arm are on opposite sides of what they are in all of her official art. I think this could be further evidence that this is a sketch meant for an in-game animation frame, as for characters with asymmetrical designs their frames when facing to the left are usually treated as their "canon" design, while their frames when facing to the right are flipped around.

The hand sign was a nice touch.

But yeah they are clearly messing with us with this lol. I hope they make more of these "leaks" in the future for the memes.

Also since it's part of the recording and this video is a re-stream of last week's, it must have also been in there last week but everyone missed it.

Now I'm just hoping they would be messing with us in the Stanley way.

crossing my fingers for a fake aeon frame leak

didn't know FC is backed by Moonrise :) very nice. Hopefully that means some extra goodies in some way.
Yeah I saw this article the other day and just found out about it.

Not really anything to do with Skullgirls lore so probably slightly off-topic I guess but I feel like it's something worth pointing out.

Ethan Redd, head of Virtuoso, notes that Moonrise was also supportive of his studio's "furious independence," saying that the studio wants to do "weird things" with games and how it releases them. And then there’s Future Club which as a worker co-op — where all employees have equal say in decision-making and profits — has a structure that could potentially make traditional games funding models challenging to work with. But because of Moonrise, they were able to make a key new hire and carve out time and space to work on something new, instead of putting aside their main project to do Skullgirls contract work to keep the lights on.

Certainly makes it sounds like Skullgirls is just a temporary side-gig while they are looking to do something else. Nothing too surprising since it's pretty reminiscent of Lab Zero putting Skullgirls to the side to do Indivisible instead. Does make you wonder how the future of Skullgirls DLC is going to be though. At least HVS has an incentive to keep SGM development going but idk how it will pan out if the FC team is not available to do contract work for the artwork and animations.

At least HVS has an incentive to keep SGM development going but idk how it will pan out if the FC team is not available to do contract work for the artwork and animations.
At least, the sheer existence of SGM means they'd have a reason to create new characters, meaning it wouldn't be as much of a loss to add new SG fighters since it's used for both.

At least, the sheer existence of SGM means they'd have a reason to create new characters, meaning it wouldn't be as much of a loss to add new SG fighters since it's used for both.
I'd guess either HVS could find another studio or hire in-house artists to do future works, or FC might have a secondary team working on Skullgirls while the main team works on their own projects. Without the original animators though idk how that will affect the feel of the animations.

Alright, now they're trolling us.

I saw someone bring up the points of how Dahlia's frame is different from Minette's and Feng's
--Feng and Minette's frames look far more cleaned up and finished
--Both Feng and Minette's frames are pain frames, while Dahlia's appears to just be a midair frame of some kind
--Dahlia's missing details like her cape not being a doily or how her arm cannon is blocky and looks like it'd would likely be finished using a 3D overlay

I saw someone bring up the points of how Dahlia's frame is different from Minette's and Feng's
If we go to the conspiracy theory way, it may actually mean, that Feng and Minette are in pain for being not chosen in favour of Black Dahlia.
That's deep.

Alright, now they're trolling us.
Doesn't count without Adam.

Reactions: Ikkisoad
--Feng and Minette's frames look far more cleaned up and finished
--Both Feng and Minette's frames are pain frames, while Dahlia's appears to just be a midair frame of some kind
--Dahlia's missing details like her cape not being a doily or how her arm cannon is blocky and looks like it'd would likely be finished using a 3D overlay
MOD STUFF: Edited with spoiler tags. Spoiler rule still applies guys.

Regarding the frame type, I think it's pretty clear Dahlia's frame is an air hitstun frame as well. Her back is arched back in a banana shape the same way as most characters. I think people are getting confused because she has a smile on her face, but I'm pretty sure it's because she's wearing a mask so her expression is frozen in a smile.

SG_jumpinghurtbox.png

The only difference I can tell is that Dahlia and Minette's are air hitstuns while Feng's appear to be a ground hitstun (a high hit to be exact).

Feng and Minette frame being more "cleaned" would make sense if they were completed drawing made especially for showing to to people, while Dahlia's is a picture that was shown accidentally in the middle of being worked on.

It can't be spoilers if all three were fake leaks.

Anyway. I'm about 50/50 on Doily being fake. She was the was the first and most likely to be a real leak, plus the vod of the stream was pulled. Not that you can really call it an accidental leak if the animation frame was left on-screen for a solid minute.
Fish and Ace feel more like cheeky trolling or disinformation.

Last edited:
It can't be spoilers if all three were fake leaks.

Anyway. I'm about 50/50 on Doily being fake. She was the was the first and most likely to be a real leak, plus the vod of the stream was pulled. Not that you can really call it an accidental leak if the animation frame was left on-screen for a solid minute.
Fish and Ace feel more like cheeky trolling or disinformation.
Even the joke leaks are semi-spoilers for the first leak by process of elimination, so I'd rather just enforce a spoiler rule for all of them. Even if all of them are fake I'd just like to give people the choice if they wanna see it or not.

Anyway most of these streams don't really have a lot of action going on so a lot of us watching just kinda tune out from the stream and don't concentrate on what's actually being shown all the time. It's entirely possible that the streamer accidentally switches screens and doesn't realise it for a while. The fact that no one on the chat seemed to acknowledge the original leak while it was live seemed to indicate that.

Additionally the second "leak" was seen during the re-stream of the previous week's stream, but no one apparently noticed it when it was originally shown, which confirms how unobservant most people are during the actual streams. I feel like for the last 2 they actually picked times where the chat what quite busy to bring up the pictures so people actually see them lol.

gendo-ikari.jpg

^personasama watching this thread​

The other two being a cover for the first "leak" is plausible, but I'm in full tin-foil hat mode, suspecting all three characters to be a ruse. And then going a step beyond that, a few scenarios come to mind to justify the drawings existence:

Ultimate Long Shot
All three characters are being added to Skullgirls! Future Club somehow found infinite time and funds to make every fan happy
Possibility: 0.00001%

Double Jeopardy
The 3 "leaked" characters are in hitstun poses. Maybe these are new frames to Double, to add variety and give a nod to the characters that couldn't get that playable promotion.
Possibility: 15%

Personasama's Mind Games
Personasama streams are when these leaks happen, right? 3 detailed and convincing drawings just to troll the fans. Something to distract while the actual next character, Marie, is worked on. That's dedication!
Possibility: 70%

• Haha
Reactions: orian34