• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Mortal Kombat Thread

I dunno about Noob, last I saw he got sucked into a spirit whirlwind by Nightwolf, right?

Yeah, he got chucked into the soulnado. If he doesn't end up ded for good, he'll probably come back like Scorpion did in Deception.

I dunno about Noob, last I saw he got sucked into a spirit whirlwind by Nightwolf, right?

Noob is also undead and controlled by Quan Chi. Considering Quan Chi is returning in this one, do you really think he'll go without reviving him?

How would he be revived? If he actually died in the soulnado, his soul would have been torn to shreds. I doubt you can revive from that very easily.

Kung Lao is the next reveal:

30_mkxkunglao01.jpg

30_mkxkunglao02.jpg

30_mkxkunglao03.jpg

30_mkxkunglao04.jpg

Wait, what? Didn't he die?

I'm loving Old Man Lao.

Wait, what? Didn't he die?

Yup, broken neck, Shao Kahn isn’t to keen on posers. Maybe it's another reincarnation of the Great Kung Lao or he somehow broke free from Quan Chi's control and regained life somehow.

The article of the magazine where the pictures come from also mention stuff like that Kotal Kahn is the new ruler of Outworld. Interesting. Basically a confirmation that the Kahn-thing is a title, but still interesting because he doesn’t really look like the Emperor-type.

Kung Lao?
...Dude you're dead.
Stay dead.

He looks slightly more racist with that Old Man get-up too.
Like the buzzsaw hat though

Also from the Event Hubs article, his hat apparently changes with each variation
And then there's this interesting tidbit
""Ed Boon guarantees, that the online features are much more complex this time around. For example when you start the game you get to choose your own alliance from five different options: Lin Kuei, White Lotus, Brotherhood of Shadows, Special Force and Black Dragon. Basically each team gathers so called "battle points" for their team, which decides how the game's menus look both in single and multiplayer. This way each player contributes to the entirety whether or not you prefer the social aspects or playing by yourself.""

Article here

Last edited:
So, online play is like the old soul calibur arcade conquest mode?

Seems like it.
Sounds pretty fucking cool to me.
I'll have to see what the menus look like before I choose though
I'd join Lin Kuei but I'm assuming they're still robotics using assholes so I'll go with Brotherhood of Shadows for now

Black Dragon for me if we get Kira back.

So Kung Lao fixed his broken neck and got old.......I can dig it.

Also, time for something stupid that makes me laugh.
In one of the leaked fight previews, Quan Chi says "I have your brother's soul!" To Sub-Zero
Not only is this a reference to one of my favorite dumb lines (to say out of context)
But hey, this could mean a lot of things.
Which brother?
Original Sub-Zero back?

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
Nice to see Kung Lao (and it's also nice to see a fighting game character actually look older after a time skip for once, Tekken and Soul Calibur!)

But they said the cast would be 50/50 old and new and so far they have only revealed old characters since the initial gameplay debut. I have no problem with that, but why don't they mix it up a bit?

I want Mileena (even though I never played her) to come back as the Queen of Outworld that Kotal needs to take out towards the beginning of the game. And although I don't play Reptile, it'd feel weird without him. Other than that, don't really mind who doesn't return.

Oh god, I simply must laugh at that design. He looks like a hobo in a Kung Lao cosplay outfit. I know it's been 25 years but c'mon.

And if Kung Lao's back then I gotta request some more characters to rise from the dead for this: Noob Saibot, Jade & Kitana.

Noob Saibot may have been turned back into original Sub-Zero, who knows
I do hope Jade comes back though.
Everyone who died like a chump at the end of MK 9 deserves another chance

Too popular to die, Kung Lao makes sense. The variations of fight styles sound very interesting, especially the hat trick mode where you can control the hat independently.

I really hope Kitana comes back, she was a lot of fun in MK9.

Dead characters in MK are never truly dead if you look at the events from the past canon games. That said, King Lao became the next 'old man' character since Shujinko I believe.

Well I think it's more the fact they're not only dead, but a lot of them had their souls enslaved by Quan Chi

But then again, lots of people got enslaved by Shao Kahn or Shang Tsung and came back just dandy

Speaking of which, they inferred that unlike MK9 you'll be able to do Fatalities in story mode. I wonder how that'll work?
Maybe you'll only be able to do them when it's time for that character to be killed off for good.

Reactions: Jutsei
That'd actually be a cool way to have branching paths. Whether you kill certain characters or not could affect the story.

Knowing NetherRealm and their great story modes, this could actually be a thing.

Holy fucking shit.
That sounds like a great idea.
Killer Instinct kinda did that but it only affected the endings, having it actively affect the entire story would be awesome.

Though, of course, this might lead to a nightmare for the story if they wanna do Mortal Kombat XI

Guilty Gear story modes kinda did that. If you won under certain conditions you'd open new paths.

But then it's walkthrough googling ahoy, because how else am I expected to guess I need to lose to character X here to unlock ending #13. Not sure if I dig it.

So I think Ed Boon just showed this on his Twitter, I wonder where this stage takes place?
B68Zx9pCEAAiXth.jpg

Sorry if the photo seems kinda small.

Oh yea, I also found this.
R4wgSl4.jpg
Also, they showed the MKX controller off. I'll look for a picture

Chances are it'll be a Story trailer
With a lot of character reveals
I can't wait, this is the most hyped I've been for a game in a long time.