• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Everyone's so salty.
I can tell you this right now, back when the idea of Mii and Pac-Man being in was new (Last year)
I thought it'd happen, bUT I KNEW there'd be a lot of salt and backlash.
Funny how that turned out, huh?

Apparently if you're not HOLY AMAZEBALLS HYPE for a character you're salty.
Like there's maybe only 1 or 2 actually salty people in this thread, everyone else is just kind of disappointed or whatever about it.
Oh yeah and I guess some people are hype too.

pac is fine now that i've seen his design and playstyle
the only thing that makes me salty now is Hungrybox losing
he worked too hard for that shit

Yeah, dude worked hard, running away in every other battle.

Kinda redundant considering, but here's all the Miiverse posts that went on today:

zlCfzSCHa3ACUMU6k3

"Posting at a not-so-typical time of the day. An announcement has been made at E3: Mii Fighters are joining the battle!! 'You can fight--anyone can fight!' "

zlCfzSCHbYAPZUyXU5

"And Palutena is joining the battle! She's using a lot of powers in the video we released, but these are only a few of the powers featured in Kid Icarus: Uprising. For more details, check out the Super Smash Bros. official website."

"For the first time ever, we will be holding a tournament using an in-development version of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U! And you can watch the tournament live by visiting the website below!! Bear in mind, every participant will have little to no experience playing with the Wii U version...but what makes the Smash Bros. series really remarkable is the importance of improvisation over memorization. I'd like to stress that this is a work-in-progress version of the game, so please forgive us if we run into some issues."

zlCfzSCNn8Uvx2D3CZ

"Pic of the day, and a surprise announcement. A milestone of video-game history--PAC-MAN joins the battle! He's even older than Mario!!"

"How does he fight? Check out the Super Smash Bros. official website for more details." (www.smashbros.com)

Reactions: Hemijack
Apparently if you're not HOLY AMAZEBALLS HYPE for a character you're salty.
Like there's maybe only 1 or 2 actually salty people in this thread, everyone else is just kind of disappointed or whatever about it.
Oh yeah and I guess some people are hype too.
This. I'm simply disappointed. I'll live.

Yeah, dude worked hard, running away in every other battle.
You're thinking of the wrong person. Are you referring to the one who used Wii Fit Trainer?

You're thinking of the wrong person. Are you referring to the one who used Wii Fit Trainer?

I might be thinking of the guy who taunted in the corner while the other two players fought on the opposite side of the stage, or the guy who ducked behind the Boxing Ring and only came out to up throw people onto the lights.

Yeah, I'm excited for any of the new characters revealed today, but having more options is never a bad thing. It's like any fighting game - for example, I'll never play as Blanka, but the game isn't ruined by him being in it. I'm still very excited for the new Smash!

I'll just be more excited after Captain Falcon and Ness are confirmed.

I was fairly 'meh' about Pac-man initially, until I learned about him having further namco references now I'm fairly happy. I like but I also probably have a higher tolorace toward Pac-man because I grew up with these games
NAMCO_MUSEUM_VOL_1.jpg

47872_front.jpg
But, awell
5r7HlSy.gif
hater's gonna hate

Also I thought Mii's would be hellva lot worse so I indifferent toward them.

Heh, she kept staying out of most of the chaos, it was both smart but some people were kinda annoyed by that. I wasn't, I thought it was funny.

I might be thinking of the guy who taunted in the corner while the other two players fought on the opposite side of the stage, or the guy who ducked behind the Boxing Ring and only came out to up throw people onto the lights.

I think that was the Kirby player. Was kinda hoping he would've won the grand finals.

You grew up on Pac-Man 2?

You poor, unfortunate soul.

I was fairly 'meh' about Pac-man initially, until I learned about him having further namco references now I'm fairly happy. I like but I also probably have a higher tolorace toward Pac-man because I grew up with these games
Also I thought Mii's would be hellva lot worse so I indifferent toward them.
Totally diggin that avatar man. I'm definitely going to invest in Splatoon. It looks hella fun.

Ok I'll admit it, Pac-Man's kinda growing on me. Not as much as WFT grew on me, but I think he fits in just fine now.

Something about the way he's animated makes Pac-man pretty enjoyable to me. He seems so fluid with his animations.

Does anybody else find Palutena a little dollish here, or is it just me?

Reactions: Hemijack and Rellek
I'm one of those that every look at Pacman just takes off a few points.... It's best if I don't look at him until release of the game, and then just never unlock him lol.

You grew up on Pac-Man 2?

You poor, unfortunate soul.
Hey man I find that game is terrific to play when you find yourself in a bit of a funk. (Plus, it's not like the game I played the most when I was little [hell I think I played Namco museum more anyway :p])

Is it just me, or are Palutena's boobs really big? They seem much larger than they used to be. #SMASHAUGMENTATION

I'm just kidding tho

Is it just me, or are Palutena's boobs really big? They seem much larger than they used to be. #SMASHAUGMENTATION
I'm just kidding tho

And I am totally ok with this, how can anyone not be ok with this.

Erm, anyway. I'm meh with the inclusion of ol' Pac. I feel like he's a bit too out there in terms of third-party characters. Yeah, I know, fuckin' Snake and all, but I think he somehow meshes better with Nintendo characters than Pacman... Yes, that sounds absolutely ridiculous BUT LEAVE ME ALONE I HAVE OPINIONS TOO OK?

Palutena was the highlight of the day, and Sakurai somehow made Miis look sort've badass. I'm cool with their inclusion now.

So can we safely say that the Gematsu leakers were real now? The first leak list is 100% confirmed true at this point. The second leak list is only missing Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Men now.

Also something to point out, remember how the first leak list listed Greninja as "pokemon from X and Y"? Well during the round table today, Sakurai said they originally reserved a slot for a new pokemon, meaning that when they were originally planning out the roster they knew they wanted to put in a pokemon from X and Y, but didn't know which one just yet. Just a little something to think about.

As for this gematsu leaker, they apparently said right before E3 that Miis would be known as "Mii Fighters" (which they were referred to as during the Direct today), Lucas could possibly be cut, and that DLC is being considered. Can't find the source for this though.

so G&W and Pacman are the old grandpas of Smash, who's the youngest so far?

I think Greninja is one of the youngest. Initially thought Rosalina but Super Mario Galaxy came out before Pokemon X and Y

I'm just kidding tho

iOtbVuPB7Dk5s.gif

If you count from release of the Smash game they're in, Roy. If you're thinking from this moment, Greninja.

I hope the Gematsu leak isn't true because of the Chorus Men. They just do not appeal to me at all. Like, I didn't want Miis because they're generic, but the Chorus Men are even blander.

Reactions: Hemijack and Rellek
but you can make ANYONE FIGHT
so long as it is with friends since we can't have penises and hitler online
rightly so

That's just an aesthetic change man. You know good and well the mechanics will play out exactly the same whether it be Obama or Bill Clinton.

Miis are boring because they don't hold any significant history, unlike a vast majority of the smash cast. They're bland, forgettable, and honeslty...who gives a fuck about Miis? Yes, they are an iconic element of Nintendo's overall persona and image, but they're simply not interesting. You might as well tell me that I can upload my facebook profile to smashbros or pretend to play as my favorite character. The smashbros series presents a unique opportunity to bring together the most notable and interesting characters throughout all of Nintendo's (and third party) gaming history, and Miis are simply a boring choice.

Now don't get me wrong. I think the mechanics and playstyle of the Miis could prove to be interesting. I also don't resent the fact that they're in the game, I simply don't care to see them represented. You could argue that a character like Wii Fit Trainer is similar in the sense that she/he doesn't have a strong history as a character and is relatively uninteresting compared to some of the more iconic newcomers like Mega Man or Little Mac, but at least Wii Fit Trainer is a well designed character that has some sense of individuality and personality.

I give a fuck
I love my singular mii
he is a black man with a creepy smile, a big blonde afro, and a buttchin
I'm still not sure if he is a reflection of my soul but I want him to punch people

Reactions: Jake Was Here
I hope the Gematsu leak isn't true because of the Chorus Men. They just do not appeal to me at all. Like, I didn't want Miis because they're generic, but the Chorus Men are even blander.
I like the look of Greninja and Little Mac so much I'm ok if the leak is true, despite the lack of Ridley.

for those that were curious, basically.
Smash Boards right now is people whining and complaining super hard about it not having enough technical or combo stuff.

There is a reason for that. It's not just the technical (though pure smash players do tend to get pretty focused on that aspect) aspect that is hampered, the combo game is actually where the mindgames happen in competitive smash. That and the approach/movement. With no dash dancing to make your movement varied, or grab game to threaten the opponents ground approach, the combo game would be the only thing left.

It's basically reducing the top level play to purely spacing and nothing else, ever.

I don't see why making the game accessible means neuter the aspects of it that become tense when 2 players of equal skill are playing.

Reactions: VinceX
Just saying, you are the one being antagonistic, I'm trying to plead my case or at least see why you think what you do.

I used to consistently participate in the "everybody votes" channel on Wii, make Miis for fun, and spend hours just messing around with Miis. Sometimes I pick my Mii in Mario Kart, do Mii related things on my 3ds, and check out other peoples' Miis for fun. I'm not saying that Miis aren't relevant or (in some manor) interesting, I just think they're a really poor choice for a game like Smashbros.

Again, Smashbros is a rare chance to bring together some of the best characters ever created throughout all of gaming history. Miis are simply NOT one of those characters, nor will they ever be.

It's like character creation in Soul Calibur. Yeah, it's fun and everyone loves it. I spent forever making my own custom version of Shredder to play as and I don't even like tmnt. Hell, I don't even really play Soul Calibur! But in the end of the day what makes Soul Calibur interesting is the original character cast, not the half-assed look-alikes that I came up with in 30 minutes. The difference between something like Soul Calibur and Smashbros is that Nintendo has a huge history of original and interesting characters to pick and choose from, which makes Miis look boring and completely uninteresting.

Either way, I'll mess around with Miis once the game comes out. I don't make any final judgements until I've given something a lot of time and consideration. Either way, I still consider Miis to be a relatively boring pick considering how unique an opportunity Smashbros presents to the gaming community.

Reactions: Rellek
that's fine
but also
black man with a creepy smile, a big blonde afro, and a buttchin
I'm not letting this go to waste
he is going to punch the shit out of people

Reactions: Skullmageddon
I wasn't particularly excited about Mii either, but I was expecting it without much doubt so it didn't really bother me much.

In fact I was kind of surprised at how they seem to be handling the Mii playstyle and I'm kind of intrigued to see how it works in game.

I think pac-man was handled fantastically, his moveset looks quite fun and very creative. People are certainly still annoyed about both of them though.

Reactions: Skullmageddon