• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I'm not a big fan about more Mario reps myself, but my logic is that if they have to, it might as well be a good one.

Miss Supposed-to-be-a-spoiler-but-you-guys-don't-seem-to-care is a good one, and I'd support it.

Reactions: Jutsei
Nintendo themselves posted it multiple times, I wouldn't say it's a spoiler.

Like, if they gave each series ONE new rep, I'll be happy, but let's not stack them on all on one.

I'm still kinda waiting for the rest of the newcomers to trickle in.
But to be completely honest, wasn't it like a year or something before we got newcomers besdies the initial trailer in Brawl?

Still though.
Decided to check Smash Boards after a while
Rosalina's getting a lot of support now that she's fighting in 3D world.
The Toad BAckers are reeling in pain and trying to prove that he can still be playable
Rosalina is another character that could and should be a peach costume rather than actually dedicating money to making a separate move set.

I'm not a big fan about more Mario reps myself, but my logic is that if they have to, it might as well be a good one.

Miss Supposed-to-be-a-spoiler-but-you-guys-don't-seem-to-care is a good one, and I'd support it.
But at least go with the logical progression of the series. Being a good idea as a playable character in a mario game doesn't make her a good idea as a playable character in a smash bros. game. Toad or Bowser Jr. is at least a logical progression rather than a character that has been in, what, 3 mario games total barring sports games and doesn't do anything except in 3D World? And even then she's just copying what mario does in the games she appears in... I mean, I would go for Kamek, Prof. E. Gadd, Dimentio or Fawful before Rosalina.
Although, for the record, the only mario character I would ever support getting in is Geno. Alas, he was taken by the evil clutches of square-enix.

Pit and the other first newcomers were first revealed on the Dojo on May 25, 2007.
Ike, the next one, on August 4, 2007 and Pokemon Trainer on the 13th. Diddy on the 22nd.

That's only three months.

It's really well spaced out, with one newcomer about a month for a bit.

There's a bit of a lull in there before Japan's release, and then many of the other characters were not revealed until AFTER release.

I'm guessing we'll get 5 more newcomers, and then any others (if there even are), will be kept until after release.

Though, to be fair, unlike the Dojo! where we just got their render, we're getting an animated trailer for each of the newcomers.

But hey, in the words of the big man himself, "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." Let him take his time so we don't miss out on 6 characters that were planned to be in.

except Duke Nukem Forever because that game was a clusterfuck to being with

Rosalina is another character that could and should be a peach costume rather than actually dedicating money to making a separate move set.
But at least go with the logical progression of the series. Being a good idea as a playable character in a mario game doesn't make her a good idea as a playable character in a smash bros. game. Toad or Bowser Jr. is at least a logical progression rather than a character that has been in, what, 3 mario games total barring sports games and doesn't do anything except in 3D World? And even then she's just copying what mario does in the games she appears in... I mean, I would go for Kamek, Prof. E. Gadd, Dimentio or Fawful before Rosalina.
Although, for the record, the only mario character I would ever support getting in is Geno. Alas, he was taken by the evil clutches of square-enix.

I could totally see Rosalina being playable, what's wrong with you? There's more content in those two galaxy games than the entirety of Toad's existence.

I could see Rosalina being playable, but I'd rather her not.

Like, if I had to chose my newcomers...
  • Mario: Geno (he was brought back for SSS)
  • Zelda: Ghirahim
  • Donkey Kong: King K Rool, or any variant of his personas
  • Kid Icarus: Magnus
  • Kirby: Really doesn't need one but I'd love to see Bandanna Dee
  • Pokemon: Mewtwo to return
  • Metroid: it's been said lots but Ridley would be really nice
  • Star Fox: Just declone Falco and I'll be happy
  • F-Zero: Black Shadow
  • Fire Emblem: Chrom pls
  • Mother: Doesn't need one, but Porky would be neat
  • New-Newcomers: Ray-01 and Dillon

And I want ROB back. I know people think he was a stupid addition, I never thought so, as he's such a unique character. Him, G&W and WFT make up the obscure characters that were important to Nintendo's history.

Like I said, the Brawl Roster was more or less perfect to me, just needed a few more characters and some out.
So as long as Wario & Game & Watch don't get cut, I'm content with a day one buy

I could totally see Rosalina being playable, what's wrong with you? There's more content in those two galaxy games than the entirety of Toad's existence.
Her powers are basically spinning and shooting star bits... and she technically doesn't even do those things, mario does. IIRC the only power she had in the games was some weird bubble thing. It would be difficult to make her entire moveset without making shit up or retreating to sports game attacks.
I'm not an advocate of toad, but at the very least he's iconic of the series, and they could make him a moveset mostly consisting of power ups mario/luigi aren't using. Tanooki tail, ice balls, that flying squirrel shit, etc. Although I think that if we had to get a new mario rep... well, we don't have a single rep from any of the mario RPG's even though that's where practically every good mario character is, so pick a character from one of those games for a change. Particularly geno. Please. If it had to be from a platformer... Bowser Jr. is the obvious pick with that paint brush weapon. Kamek is the next best thing, really.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
I'm just going to leave this collection of images right here.
Daikatanabox.jpg

too_human_cover.jpg

spore-cover.jpg

256px-BrutalLegendCover.jpg

250px-LA-Noire-Box-Art.jpg

Rushing didn't hurt Brutal Legend. Crappy and misleading marketing and publishers did. But that's another story altogether.

Her powers are basically spinning and shooting star bits... and she technically doesn't even do those things, mario does. IIRC the only power she had in the games was some weird bubble thing. It would be difficult to make her entire moveset without making shit up or retreating to sports game attacks.
I'm not an advocate of toad, but at the very least he's iconic of the series, and they could make him a moveset mostly consisting of power ups mario/luigi aren't using. Tanooki tail, ice balls, that flying squirrel shit, etc. Although I think that if we had to get a new mario rep... well, we don't have a single rep from any of the mario RPG's even though that's where practically every good mario character is, so pick a character from one of those games for a change. Particularly geno. Please. If it had to be from a platformer... Bowser Jr. is the obvious pick with that paint brush weapon. Kamek is the next best thing, really.

Peach:

Her powers are basically getting stolen by bowser... and she technically doesn't even do those things, bowser does. IIRC the only power she had in the games was pulling turnips out of the ground. It would be difficult to make her entire moveset without making shit up or retreating to sports game attacks.

Peach:

Her powers are basically getting stolen by bowser... and she technically doesn't even do those things, bowser does. IIRC the only power she had in the games was pulling turnips out of the ground. It would be difficult to make her entire moveset without making shit up or retreating to sports game attacks.
And even then, everyone else in Mario 2 USA could do the same.

Peach:

When did I see that peach was a good addition? If I could take peach out for a different mario rep I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'm just going to leave this collection of images right here.
Daikatanabox.jpg

too_human_cover.jpg

spore-cover.jpg

250px-LA-Noire-Box-Art.jpg

How the hell can you say that about Brutal Legend?

OT: I honestly doubt we're getting anything good tomorrow but this week's screens weren't really that bad either.

Well guys I think there's gonna be some sort of announcement (likely a veteran, but its something) on the 22nd. I've convinced myself Nintendo is making a conscious effort to embarass Microsoft on the Xbox One launch date:
1.They're releasing Mario 3D World, Zelda:ALBW, and Mario Party Island Tour on that day.
2.2/3 of those are guaranteed sellers, and are pretty much guaranteed good scores (ALBW is already scoring high with plenty of 10s)
3.I found this: . Gamestop employees may be selling Xbox One's to customers while wearing Cat Ears.

Don't dissapoint me Sakurai, keep the troll train going.

Well guys I think there's gonna be some sort of announcement (likely a veteran, but its something) on the 22nd. I've convinced myself Nintendo is making a conscious effort to embarass Microsoft on the Xbox One launch date:
1.They're releasing Mario 3D World, Zelda:ALBW, and Mario Party Island Tour on that day.
2.2/3 of those are guaranteed sellers, and are pretty much guaranteed good scores (ALBW is already scoring high with plenty of 10s)
3.I found this: . Gamestop employees may be selling Xbox One's to customers while wearing Cat Ears.

Don't dissapoint me Sakurai, keep the troll train going.
Oh my fucking God please.

When did I see that peach was a good addition? If I could take peach out for a different mario rep I would do it in a heartbeat.

Point is, if they can make Peach playable with what little they have on her, they can most certainly make a Rosalina character.

So, anybody else see this yet?
tumblr_inline_mw9f2p6JPA1rjw2mu.png

Looks pretty legit. Not gonna lie. I srsly hope that's for real. But then again, those two are basically confirmed anyways :P

How the hell can you say that about Brutal Legend?

OT: I honestly doubt we're getting anything good tomorrow but this week's screens weren't really that bad either.
I thought for sure someone would say something about LA noire before brutal legend.

Point is, if they can make Peach playable with what little they have on her, they can most certainly make a Rosalina character.
It's not "can they make Rosalina a character" it's "SHOULD they make Rosalina a character." They could make those little clouds with eyes from mario a character if they were willing to make up a bunch of bullshit for them. But that's not happening*.
Think of it this way: the two biggest elements on whether a character will get through are whether they are iconic and whether they have enough interesting powers to form a moveset. Rosalina isn't iconic since she hasn't been in very many games. She also doesn't have enough powers to form a full moveset, and the ones she has are boring (So far I've been able to brainstorm a spin attack that barely constitutes a special slot, a generic projectile that she's technically never used in any game, and a bubble shield thingy. Of all of these, the only thing new or interesting she could bring to the table is something with that bubble.)
*Probably. I don't claim to understand the inner machinations of Sakurai's mind.

My only concern is Jiggly's shadow. It looks perfectly circular, considering s/he isn't.
It's a Jigglypuff from above!

EDIT: Mario Galaxy, holy shit! Just as I imagined, with planetary gravity and everything!

Last edited:

9NFhAJ5.jpg

Jesus Christ you were wrong.
10/10 best stage ever revealed
DON'T DISAPPOINT ME SAKURAI BY NOT PUTTING THIS SONG IN

Last edited:
It's not "can they make Rosalina a character" it's "SHOULD they make Rosalina a character." They could make those little clouds with eyes from mario a character if they were willing to make up a bunch of bullshit for them. But that's not happening*.
Think of it this way: the two biggest elements on whether a character will get through are whether they are iconic and whether they have enough interesting powers to form a moveset. Rosalina isn't iconic since she hasn't been in very many games. She also doesn't have enough powers to form a full moveset, and the ones she has are boring (So far I've been able to brainstorm a spin attack that barely constitutes a special slot, a generic projectile that she's technically never used in any game, and a bubble shield thingy. Of all of these, the only thing new or interesting she could bring to the table is something with that bubble.)
*Probably. I don't claim to understand the inner machinations of Sakurai's mind.

Yes, they SHOULD make a Rosalina character. She's damn iconic because of the Galaxies massive success. Those are arguably the greatest mario games in the last decade and she's a huge part of it. HUGE part of it. She's got plenty of powers to create a decent moveset because Peach has very little base on powers and attacks and they made it work. Rosalina's got just enough powers to create a basis for the style of her moves while still having unique special moves. Size isn't an issue and we definitely need more female characters and Rosalina is a nice fit for both of those. We also need other females like Dixie and Lucina but Rosalina is excellent.

AAAAAND because she's got a GOD DAMNED LEVEL NOW WHOOOOO! Looks amazing! It looks like it's just a flat surface, only curved as can be seen with Samus's blast. I wonder what Fox's lasers would look like :P

Yes, they SHOULD make a Rosalina character. She's damn iconic because of the Galaxies massive success. Those are arguably the greatest mario games in the last decade and she's a huge part of it. HUGE part of it. She's got plenty of powers to create a decent moveset because Peach has very little base on powers and attacks and they made it work. Rosalina's got just enough powers to create a basis for the style of her moves while still having unique special moves. Size isn't an issue and we definitely need more female characters and Rosalina is a nice fit for both of those. We also need other females like Dixie and Lucina but Rosalina is excellent.

Wasn't size the reason you were so against Ridley?

Wasn't size the reason you were so against Ridley?

More or less.

guys no fighting

lets enjoy that we confirmed the coolest stage ever with the best music ever today

just shhh

and enjoy
I apologize. I am pretty damn hype about the stage though. No lie. That's some epic shit right there.

And if you look off into the background you can see various other "planets" that could possibly be used for a transitional stage maybe? Like the new Mushroomy Kingdom? After a few minutes the stage moves to another planet via shooting star?

That is a fucking incredible looking stage.
So that Kirby thing a fucking while ago WAS Super Mario Galaxy! Those insane sons a bitches at Reddit were right!
Now maybe we'll get a word on Ridley :P