• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

we all know Dr. Mario is probably not gonna have FLUDD, and that was a major thing that ruined Mario. you can't just take away his tatsu, and I don't care if FLUDD can do stuff, its annoying to deal with for what is essentially another projectile/long range attack.

The real question is, what's Dr. Mario going to do for a Final Smash?

Probably summon the viruses from his game to attack, and then throw a bunch of pills at the viruses, with some missing and hitting the opponents, and for reference each pill matches the virus it would kill in the original Dr Mario.

Reactions: Rellek
It's weird if Dr. Mario gets back in because I remember Sakurai stating that the minimum requirement for a character to be a clone is to be fundamentally different in some way. Which is why Lucina became a clone character. I'm confused for Dr. Mario because he held little mechanical difference to the actual Mario. Remember that the equipment we're getting in the game will probably be able to make Mario be on a level of Dr. Mario, slightly slower and hitting harder. Unless he receives a significant change this time around in mechanics, I see little reason for Dr. Mario to return over other characters.
Dr.Mario was very different to Mario functionally. Mario was an all rounder while Dr Mario was an aerial based character (he had much faster air control than Mario) with powerful attacks (particularly his fAir which is WAY stronger than Mario's and is a potent kill move and his nAir which is unique because it GAINS power the longer it is out, so throwing it out early and hitting with the late active frames was a good idea, because even if they jump at you, you have active frames out).

Dr.Mario had far worse recovery, his cape was much slower and had a much more narrow hitbox but much more range, also didn't bounce him in the air like Mario's did.

His Pills bounced low along the ground differently to Mario's allowing him to control the ground and then get into the air to abuse his powerful air game.

In Smash4 he could retain the Tornado while Mario has Fludd, further differentiating them.

Honestly, none of the clones in Melee were anywhere near as blatant as people think, because their moves are aesthetically similar, people assume they play much more alike than they actually do.

Reactions: Rellek
I know that he isn't blatantly Mario, but I felt that he's never really had enough to truly differentiate himself from regular Mario to me. I guess a different special is going good for him, but the other ones felt like they could have been assigned to custom moves for regular Mario this time around.

Dr.Mario was very different to Mario functionally. Mario was an all rounder while Dr Mario was an aerial based character (he had much faster air control than Mario) with powerful attacks (particularly his fAir which is WAY stronger than Mario's and is a potent kill move and his nAir which is unique because it GAINS power the longer it is out, so throwing it out early and hitting with the late active frames was a good idea, because even if they jump at you, you have active frames out).

Dr.Mario had far worse recovery, his cape was much slower and had a much more narrow hitbox but much more range, also didn't bounce him in the air like Mario's did.

His Pills bounced low along the ground differently to Mario's allowing him to control the ground and then get into the air to abuse his powerful air game.

In Smash4 he could retain the Tornado while Mario has Fludd, further differentiating them.

Honestly, none of the clones in Melee were anywhere near as blatant as people think, because their moves are aesthetically similar, people assume they play much more alike than they actually do.

Fundamentally, Mario/Dr.Mario played almost identically despite their differences compared to someone like Fox/Falco.

The real question is, what's Dr. Mario going to do for a Final Smash?
tumblr_inline_nb8t30An5M1rytewk.jpg

Valentine level 3.

"Tell-a me where it-a hurts!"
"god! I can't believe he's making me watch the level 3! what a scrub!"

It's sad that so many people are so angry at the roster.

I love it. A lot of awesome characters.

This roster would be perfect if it had Ice Climbers. I mean I'm not a fan of the clones, but I wouldn't really care if Ice Climbers were in, because I'd have everything else I wanted other than Mewtwo.

You see, this is why I can't complain. A character from a long not thought of game (Duck Hunt (You thought I was going to say F-Zero didn't you)) seems to be a playable character, and Samus was a guarantee, it's already good enough for me.

Anything else past announcement is just delicious tear-flavored frosting on a cake.

Someone confirm if I'm understanding this correctly, cause I'm not sure if I'm having trouble understanding what I'm reading.

The PAX build of Smash 4 apparently has an l-cancel which cancels all the lag like in Smash 64, but instead of hitting shield you can do any action that isn't a jump, and that this is not just an auto-cancel.

Hmmm...

http://smashboards.com/threads/land...ling-also-di-confirmed-hands-on.366133/page-2

Yeah I've been reading that on the smashboards.

I'm... not sure how I feel about it haha, I like it more than an l cancel, but ABSOLUTELY NO recovery on landing sounds a little bit ridiculous and would make for some pretty crazy pressure, but you can't cancel into jump, so hey, at least you can't repeat pressure? I guess overall I'd say I'm on board with it but a bit cautious.

If we get some top shenans, I'm on board

I mostly don't play against anyone who cares to actually get good, so this will be a fun way to spice things up a little

Yeah I've been reading that on the smashboards.

I'm... not sure how I feel about it haha, I like it more than an l cancel, but ABSOLUTELY NO recovery on landing sounds a little bit ridiculous and would make for some pretty crazy pressure, but you can't cancel into jump, so hey, at least you can't repeat pressure? I guess overall I'd say I'm on board with it but a bit cautious.

It sounds like an improved version of l-cancelling which opens up a hell of a lot more options. That is of course if it's intentional.

imagine what kind of stupid name it would get if it's an official mechanic

imagine what kind of stupid name it would get the smash fanbase got to name it

imagine what kind of stupid name it would get if it's an official mechanic

imagine what kind of stupid name it would get the smash fanbase got to name it

It won't get a smash name; it will never be mentioned in the game.

Fanbase will probably refer to it as lag cancelling like they are now?

L cancel halves recovery, if this is what people are saying, it's entirely 0 recovery into an attack/dash/shield.

That sounds a little bit too safe to me. In Melee if you mispace a short hop fast fall L cancel aerial, you will get shield grabbed. Unless you use an invincible move but most of those carry risk. Fox/Falco being the obvious, stupid exceptions there.

At the very least it is different, and if in the final build it will speed up the game immensely. It's not exactly like melee, but it really doesn't have to be.

Actually my concern is it might make the game too overly aggressive haha.

If going nuts on offense is completely safe like that, there will be little reason to space your attacks and making reads wont carry as high risk for their reward.

We'll see though, the fact that you can't cancel into a jump is probably a good precaution to stop it from becoming an overwhelming option.

So All-Star Mode is unlocked from the beginning, but not complete until you unlock everyone

interesting

"Pic of the day. This time, you can challenge every fighter in All-Star Mode from the moment you turn on the game!! This is a survival battle with limited recovery items and no options to continue. However, this mode will be incomplete until you've unlocked every fighter... Until then, you can only play against characters that are already available. This is a picture of the bottom-screen menu, with a padlock indicating that the mode is still incomplete."
zlCfzSZeToEgud9Pf2

"In these battles, multiple opponents appear in one stage, and you clear the battle by defeating a number of them. The rest area that appears between battles displays the next opponents and the year the characters made their first appearances, and it also holds recovery items and an occasional reward. The characters you fight against appear pretty much in chronological order. Behold, the history of Nintendo games!!"
zlCfzSZeT-szeYT5eT

Last edited:
OK, so it goes by the individual character's debut instead of series debut, huh? Looks like Greninja confirmed All-Star final boss, and apparently Wario inadvertently confirmed secret this time.

Ohohohoho! Well, chances of the leaked roster not being complete just shot up tremendously. Please Ice Climbers. Please.

OK, so it goes by the individual character's debut instead of series debut, huh? Looks like Greninja confirmed All-Star final boss, and apparently Wario inadvertently confirmed secret this time.

No, you can see from the pic that it is going in reverse-chronological order. The fighters shown on the bottom screen are those remaining, not those already fought. Game & Watch will continue to be the "final boss" of All Star mode.

Edit: Wait I'm an idiot, it says enemies defeated. So I guess it is like that now. Weird.

Reactions: Rellek and Tomo009
"Pic of the day. This time, you can challenge every fighter in All-Star Mode from the moment you turn on the game!!

WHAAAAT?! Well that completely kills all hope that.......

However, this mode will be incomplete until you've unlocked every fighter... Until then, you can only play against characters that are already available. This is a picture of the bottom-screen menu, with a padlock indicating that the mode is still incomplete."

Oh thank god. That still gives me hope that there actually is a few characters left.

Ohohohoho! Well, chances of the leaked roster not being complete just shot up tremendously. Please Ice Climbers. Please.
I am 100% certain I already went over this evidence before and confirmed that weeks ago...

Though I feel like you guys ignore me so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

It sounds like an improved version of l-cancelling which opens up a hell of a lot more options. That is of course if it's intentional.
I can imagine it's going to be very difficult to time and only available on certain moves. Like Brawl had the auto cancelling shit on the cooldown of various aerials, only this time it can be cancelled entirely should the move allow it.

Like, I can't imagine moves like bowser's down air to be able to do this. It would look funky as all hell.

The same thing said that certain characters, like Bowser, have more aerials.

Side air, Up-side-air and down-side-air (holding it diagonally) resulted in different moves with different properties. The same idea can be seen in Little Mac's Side-Smash, where tilting it results in a different move, not just a change in trajectory.

That's pretty neat.

The same thing said that certain characters, like Bowser, have more aerials.

Side air, Up-side-air and down-side-air (holding it diagonally) resulted in different moves with different properties. The same idea can be seen in Little Mac's Side-Smash, where tilting it results in a different move, not just a change in trajectory.

That's pretty neat.
I didn't even know there were tilting aerials. I never got my hands on the demo

Between tilting aerials, aerial smashes, pivot grabbing and this new L-Canceling... thing, Smash 4 seems pretty technical, which is awesome.

Too bad as Keep Away Mega Man I won't be using any of it

let's fight like gentlemen
says me as I gun for items as Little Mac

Between tilting aerials, aerial smashes, pivot grabbing and this new L-Canceling... thing, Smash 4 seems pretty technical, which is awesome.

Too bad as Keep Away Mega Man I won't be using any of it
Pretty sure you could easily be abusing fair and bair as Mega Man as close combat options. Just saiyan