• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I wasn't expecting three white men in ties ethier

You don't have to say that, they're basically cartoon characters.
I'd rather have them instead of another swordsman.

Technically, you got 2 more swordsmen.

I think newcomers or not the roster size is rapidly approaching 50+ characters.
And I'm 100% fine with that.
me too it opens up more

and it opens up the WAAAAAAaaa

I'm guessing he's either screwing around or drunk. Maybe both.

I t h i n k M c . R a d i s j o k i n g g u y s . . .
#Finnialysomeonefiguresitouthaveanannieward(ButreallyGleeclubisastupidIdeal)

Attachments

• Annward.png
    Annward.png
    206.5 KB · Views: 273
Please don't reopen my Waluigi wounds.
I still ache from him being deconfirmed
TOO BAD WALUIGI TIME

AND SOME IS MAKING A FUCKING MOD TO MAKE HIM PLAYABLE HIS MOVESET IS MAGNIFICENT

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

i'm a guy, but thank you
Ruin's a pretty lady.

I can't handle the stupid, someone get me when the curse of idiocy has been lifted.

So anyway, back on topic.
I do think we'll be getting more than 50 + characters, but I'm not sure just how many newcomers are left, the way Sakurai worded it last week seemed like there'd be newcomers with no trailers.
Which, again, I infer as unlockable new characters.
Maybe our generational WTF character if it's not Wii Fit Trainer?

We haven't had our retro WTF character yet.

We haven't had our retro WTF character yet.

I don't think it has to be retro. I think it just more has to do with important moments in Nintendo history.

Cause like, 64 had Jiggs, representing how Pokemon invaded North America and sold a LOT of GameBoys.
Melee had Game and Watch, who was Nintendo's first foray into gaming (beside Color TV)
Brawl had ROB, who saved gaming.
Smash 4 has WFT, who brought gaming to a new generation.

I think newcomers or not the roster size is rapidly approaching 50+ characters.
And I'm 100% fine with that.

Yea but I don't want over 50 characters in this game. Roster will feel too bloated IMO. I think you're just setting your expectations too high, Sakurai probably has a limit he wants to set too, and realizes that there's a point where balance becomes too difficult.

I'm not expecting fifty plus, I'm fine with the roster as it is right now, especially since it's already as big as Brawl was.
But It is starting to look like it MIGHT be around that number.
You can never really know, though

I don't think it has to be retro. I think it just more has to do with important moments in Nintendo history.

Cause like, 64 had Jiggs, representing how Pokemon invaded North America and sold a LOT of GameBoys.
Melee had Game and Watch, who was Nintendo's first foray into gaming (beside Color TV)
Pikachu represented the Pokemon invasion just fine. I think 64's WTF character was Ness. Everybody else either had a game on the N64 or was famous enough that they could skip that generation, but Earthbound was a cult classic even then. Plus, he's the only one who was originally going to be kicked out for Melee.

HOO boy! This character reveal trailer was surprising, amusing, relieving and super hyped all at once. I love how we didn't get the usual "Fire Emblem gets Marth + whatever character is relevant at the time" character representation like it has in the past. They basically just said "Eh... FUCK IT we'll put ALL the significant characters in there somehow. Just fuckin go and don't look back" Absolutely love how it turned out!

The most exciting part other than obviously captain falcon was Lucina! Not that she's a new character, but quite literally a clone of Marth or even just an alt costume/reskin. EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED thank god. Marth's moveset is my gravy and to have it on a badass swordweilding chick will get me hard during every match. SO looking forward to that.

And also Robin looks pretty badass. I like the tome mechanic. Very unique and I can see it costing him a few tiers on the tier listing for his variation and limitation on certain moves. Still eagerly await him as well.

Reactions: TheGoggledGamer
tumblr_n8ppp1nAu21t3u3n2o1_500.jpg

tumblr_n8ppp1nAu21t3u3n2o2_500.jpg

Man, this spot the difference is so hard :(

(Seriously though, Marth looks more feminine than Lucina)

To be fair, you see the entirety of the characters in battle, not just their faces. Their clothing is really different, and their silhouettes in general are as well.

To be fair, you see the entirety of the characters in battle, not just their faces. Their clothing is really different, and their silhouettes in general are as well.
Sorry but Marth's bust STILL looks bigger.

Oh yeah I know, guess I was just a little too vague on the joking aspect.

But you have to admit, it's still kind of funny how this turned out.

Actually, iirc, Ice Climbers and Pit were originally going to be in Smash 64, and I'd say that either one of those could count as 'weird retro characters'. Honestly, I'd say we just missed out on one in 64 and got two in Melee to make up for it, so holding out for a retro character isn't crazy.

So how about that there shark magic
screen-10.jpg

Also I can't help but wounder what stages (if any at all) will have codec-esq easter-eggs, 'cuz there's a ton of potential for them in this Smash (Panatella and Pit, Fox, Lucy and Robin, and who know's who/what else)

Wasn't Peach supposed to be in the 64 version?

Banjo/Kazooie and James Bond were meant to be in the N64 version. That one had aspirations.

Also I can't help but wounder what stages (if any at all) will have codec-esq easter-eggs, 'cuz there's a ton of potential for them in this Smash (Panatella and Pit, Fox, Lucy and Robin, and who know's who/what else)

I'm guessing Kid Icarus will, not sure about any others. Maybe some more recycled ones.

Starfox DEFINITELY will. Since Starfox was the only one that melee codeced.