• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Not that Ridley wouldn't have command throws and drop down attacks.
Or like, twice Charizard's reach.
Or fireballs instead of a fire breath.
But they're both dragons so IT HAS TO BE A CLONE THERE ARE NO OTHER OPTIONS.

glad to see that you see that
we're gonna drop all this ridley nonsense now then, right

I would love for Ridley to have a grab in the air if he got in, though. Kinda like Donkey Kong.

Though really, why should we care if Ridley's the main antagonist or not? He's by far the most recognizable Metroid antagonist, and in a crossover game shouldn't that be priority pick?

Reactions: Rellek
Ridley is less the main antagonist of the metroid series and more the rival, if you ask me
He's never the mastermind or the actual driving force of the plot and more ultimately serves as a major opposing force for Samus (not to mention his appearances in Fusion and the Prime series are token at best)
He's the most NOTABLE antagonist from Metroid but no where ever near the MAIN antagonist

that said he's still weak as fuck and doesn't need to be in smash bros beyond how he already has

Well I guess that explains why Wolf was cut.

This is terrible logic and you know it, lol

I don't really care much about Ridley either way, though it would be nice to have more Metroid representation

Ridley is pretty generic and bland imo, there are better metroid characters for a 3rd rep such as Dark Samus and Anthony Higgs

Reactions: Rellek
Metroid has two distinct gameplay reps, which is more that some series can even say
I prefer that smash focus on repping all kinds of nintendo franchises rather than repping series that at least have something
That's why I think Duck Hunt is one of the best additions in the entire series (and why the Ice Climbers not coming back is something really made me sad)
a fun creative moveset and repping a notable 8-bit period game? I'll take that over Puff the Ressurrecting Dragon anyday
That's partly why I want to see Takamaru becoming playable, he had a cool little game and nintendo throws love his way everyone now and again. So seeing him in smash with the other 1986 crew would make me feel warm inside

Reactions: Rellek and Arcana
Ridley is less the main antagonist of the metroid series and more the rival, if you ask me
He's never the mastermind or the actual driving force of the plot and more ultimately serves as a major opposing force for Samus (not to mention his appearances in Fusion and the Prime series are token at best)
He's the most NOTABLE antagonist from Metroid but no where ever near the MAIN antagonist
So he's the Gary of the metroidverse...

Ridley is pretty generic and bland imo, there are better metroid characters for a 3rd rep such as Dark Samus and Anthony Higgs

So is fucking Bowser.
Literally, the is no complaint that you can make towards Ridley that also can't be applied to Bowser.

And given Ridley's status within the Metroid universe he deserves higher precedence.
It'd be great if it had more, I'd love it if we got Samus, Ridley, Dark Samus, Rundas, and why-the-fuck-not Anthony.
But Ridley comes first.

Metroid has two distinct gameplay reps, which is more that some series can even say

Metroid has less reps than it's sister series Kid Icarus, the game that died for a couple decades when Metroid has around 10 games to it's name.
And both of its playable reps are just variations on the same character.

I prefer that smash focus on repping all kinds of nintendo franchises rather than repping series that at least have something

That's a very nice idea son, but considering that Mario has 7 reps, Pokemon has 6, and Fire Emblem has 4,
I want Metroid to have at least 3.
It deserves more, but at least 3.

Had to post, but apparently Vectoring is gone or greatly reduced and DI may be back. That would actually explain several nerfs, including little mac to an extent. It seems some of my complaints may be unfounded. For that I apologize.....I've yet to see good reasoning for the bowser nerf but I'll wait to see more.

What????????
Using smash to hype an upcoming release???????????????????????????????????????????
that's nonsense
smash has never done that
not once ever

Yeah...I'm siding with TheMightyBox on this one. I'm fine with Ridley not being here, of course, time is money. But saying he should never be allowed in Smash because of these reasons is flimsy at best.

I think removing Vectoring was probably for the better. I believe it messed with a lot of combo potential and characters overall?

But guys

What if

January 30

It's time to climb the ice

It's time to climb the ice
Simon-belmont-captain-n.jpg

Reactions: Horseman
oh yeah speaking of
as much as I love Mega Man's presence in smash and how Pac-Man plays
fuck third party characters

Reactions: Arcana
As much as I'd love to have Ridley, what Sakurai says does make sense to an extent.

But you know who works perfectly in Smash 4?

Inkling

No, a character originating from a Wii U game released after Smash certainly does not belong in Smash for Wii U.

They will make great additions in Smash 5 however.

Yeah but more importantly

Ice Climbers when

there's also how Snake's entire inclusion in Brawl was stealth advertisement for MGS4

And Dark Pit's inclusion in Smash 4 is a not-stealth advertisement for KIU2

Roymeleeclear.png

I don't recall saying Roy belonged in Melee.

Unless if you're implying Inklings should be clones. In which case wtf.

Inkling can be a Ridley clone
or maybe we could get the normal ridley clone as a playable character kyahahaha

K Rool hasn't appeared in a game in over a decade. If there's gonna be any DK rep it'll be Dixie.

Wrong. K. Rool's last appearance was Super Mario Sluggers which came out in '08. That's not a decade.

so when was K. Rool's last appearance as an actual villain then

And Pikachu in costumes is secretly an advertisement for the ORAS remakes.

When if finally learns icicle crash, that is.

Wrong. K. Rool's last appearance was Super Mario Sluggers which came out in '08. That's not a decade.

Being an extra character in a single crossover hardly counts. If he was in most crossovers throughout the last decade, then it'd be different, but he's not. And that's still 6 years, nearly an entire gen that he's been gone.

If I could throw my two cents in to the Ridley debate, I would say that from a character standpoint, I would rather see nearly any Metroid character other than Ridley. In my opinion, Ridley is the single most over-hyped, under-developed villain that I've seen in a long time. He has no character, and the only thing he did for the plot was kill Samus's parents, which is okay, but then he just loiters around in space and comes in for a token boss fight, then millions call him the best.

From a gameplay perspective, the only way I can see or have seen Ridley working in Smash is janky as fuck, broken as fuck, or both. The idea of an air-only fighter, just in general, sounds really un-fun to play as or against.

Then we have the problem of animations, overall character design, and yes, size. That word that must come up every time a Ridley debate is had. Let me get one thing out of the way very quickly; I do not think it would be hard to shrink Ridley. I think it would be impossible to shrink Ridley and make it look good. The thing that a lot of people seem to grasp to for Ridley is situations like Olimar, where the character is larger than they should be going by the universe. The problem for me is that Ridley's structure, his skeleton, his wings, do not look good scaled down.

TL;DR I don't think Ridley would be a could Metroid rep, a fun character, or even look good in Smash, and that is why I am opposed to his inclusion.

Ridley is the single most over-hyped, under-developed villain that I've seen in a long time. He has no character, ... but then he just loiters around in space and comes in for a token boss fight, then millions call him the best.

Bowser.

From a gameplay perspective, the only way I can see or have seen Ridley working in Smash is janky as fuck, broken as fuck, or both. The idea of an air-only fighter, just in general, sounds really un-fun to play as or against.

Jigglypuff.

Then we have the problem of animations, overall character design, and yes, size. That word that must come up every time a Ridley debate is had. Let me get one thing out of the way very quickly; I do not think it would be hard to shrink Ridley. I think it would be impossible to shrink Ridley and make it look good. The thing that a lot of people seem to grasp to for Ridley is situations like Olimar, where the character is larger than they should be going by the universe. The problem for me is that Ridley's structure, his skeleton, his wings, do not look good scaled down.

4a0.png

Bowser.

Bowser at least has character in the spin-offs, Ridely is just a flying brick wall in all of his appearances.

Jigglypuff.

There is a very large distinction to be made between 'air-heavy' and 'air-only'. All the proposed gameplay styles I've seen for Ridley either are broken as all hell or just not fun.

4a0.png

Ahem.

Let me get one thing out of the way very quickly; I do not think it would be hard to shrink Ridley. I think it would be impossible to shrink Ridley and make it look good.

I think that Ridley model looks like garbage; his fingers are lanky, his neck looks like a toothpick, his arms look like they could barely hold 10 pounds.
That's the problem I see with all proposed Ridley downsizes; they are all too lanky looking, because without his size, Ridely looks really fucking lanky.

Reactions: Covenant
imo the mods I've seen of Ridley look pretty terrible, but hey, different strokes for different folks. I think it's kinda pointless to complain at this point, though. It's a good game. I mean three of my six favorite characters and my favorite stage got cut and it's still a good game. Sure having them in would be better, but a good game that could be better is still a good game.

Bowser at least has character in the spin-offs, Ridely is just a flying brick wall in all of his appearances.

Alright I'll pose it this way then,
why the hell does characterization matter in a crossover game?
What thought provoking characterization did Charizard or the Ice Climbers or Mr. Game and Watch have to warrant inclusion?

There is a very large distinction to be made between 'air-heavy' and 'air-only'. All the proposed gameplay styles I've seen for Ridley either are broken as all hell or just not fun.

You're really going to take unprofessional guesswork on how he could possibly play color you're opinion of him?
Maybe he'll just have Bowser's stats and a third jump, we don't know, maybe he'll be a Pit clone, we don't know.
A proposed moveset is not the same as a concrete decision on Sakurai's part.

I think that Ridley model looks like garbage; his fingers are lanky, his neck looks like a toothpick, his arms look like they could barely hold 10 pounds.
That's the problem I see with all proposed Ridley downsizes; they are all too lanky looking, because without his size, Ridely looks really fucking lanky.

I don't see it.
He's always looked lanky like that, he was a weirdly skeletal dragon, he's always been like that.
Except in Other M where he got weirdly beefy.
Would you prefer weirdly beefy Ridley, MMan?

He could just be a reverse Little Mac for all we know. Great in the air, but suffering on the ground.

Alright I'll pose it this way then,
why the hell does characterization matter in a crossover game?
What thought provoking characterization did Charizard or the Ice Climbers or Mr. Game and Watch have to warrant inclusion?

I say that characterization should have a role in the popularity of a character, which in turn should have a role in the amount of fan outcry for the character to be in Smash. I suppose that bit was me saying that, while I agree that the Metroid series is underrepresented, that I also think that nearly any other character in the franchise deserves the spot more than Ridley does, because the other characters are characters as opposed to mooks pretending to be characters.
The three-foot tall Kraid from Metroid one is a more interesting character than Ridley.

You're really going to take unprofessional guesswork on how he could possibly play color you're opinion of him?
Maybe he'll just have Bowser's stats and a third jump, we don't know, maybe he'll be a Pit clone, we don't know.
A proposed moveset is not the same as a concrete decision on Sakurai's part.

I'm just saying that everything that I have seen, heard, read, or even thought of myself for how Ridley could play has been really bad, and I think that says something about the character's potential in gameplay.

I don't see it.
He's always looked lanky like that, he was a weirdly skeletal dragon, he's always been like that.

I fully admit that this one may just be me, but when he was the size of a house, I could suspend my disbelief more as to how that supported the rest of his body, but when he is brought down to, for lack of a better word, realistic proportions, he stops looking like a dragon with small legs and starts looking like my anorexic cousin Ned.

Except in Other M where he got weirdly beefy.
Would you prefer weirdly beefy Ridley, MMan?

I have been called a festering pile of shit sucking the blood from Sakurai's left nutsack (Sadly not a joke), but the insinuation that I would prefer anything from Other M to be brought outside of Other M is the single most insulting thing that I have ever heard lobbed at me in my entire life.

He could just be a reverse Little Mac for all we know. Great in the air, but suffering on the ground.

My problem with this, assuming a similar style of balancing (More mobility, damage, and potential), being in the air is just a much better option than being on the ground for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: TheMightyBox
If Ridley was to ever get in he would have to be based around his size. Like, perhaps he could destroy platforms, but as a downside, thin platforms that all other fighters can pass through would be solid objects to him until destroyed. He could fly longer than anyone else in the game, but on the downside he has the slowest walking and running speed. He has extremely long range, but literally the entirety of his body is a hitbox, tail and wings included. Hell, you could give him full flight options, where he can fly for as long as he wants, but when he's hit enough his wings break apart (ala Metroid Prime) and he is stuck on the ground for 30 seconds and reverts to 2 jumps, making him extremely weak.