• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Yeah, it's like Donkey Kong and Metroid need better representation

Don't forget that basically every Metroid stage half-counting Pyrosphere is a lave stage and all but 1 (2 counting Rumble Falls, but Y'know... Rumble Falls.)DK stage is not set in Jungle Japes somehow. And that DK has 0 assist trophies.

I was saying, a long long time ago on another forum
Dixie shoulda been an assist trophy that gives you an extra jump.

>Not Chunky Banana Storm

get out yo

WVW69ivQccA_9LbhTC

You know what's really funny? I was watching that whole thing while having I Can't Decide by the Scissor Sisters playing in the background.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

PART 1

- Sakurai went to Square, not the other way around
- Sakurai had ideas for Terra or Bartz before coming to Cloud
- 1/4 to 1/3 of the Final Fantasy-related requests were for Cloud, whch helped Sakurai finally decide on him
- Cloud's design was specifically built as a mashup between the original FFVII art and his redesign for Dissidia PSP
- Cloud's stats were hard to balance between speed, power and range, and his animations noted for trying to strike a balance between realistic for Cloud's weapon and stylishness

Generally, the basic idea is that Sakurai wanted to have a FF character already, and it eventually fell upon Cloud to join Smash Bros.

TO BE CONTINUED

Noooo muh boi Bartz could've gotten in?
Fuck.My.Life

Last edited:
I would have liked Cecil but Terra was good.

the very least we coulda got was some color palette DLC for the Nintendo FE characters but NOOOOOPE.

gotta get that shitty side movie in there with the stupid swords.

and the SOMETIMES HE DOESNT WEAR THE SLEEVE! OOOOOOOOOOO~

Last edited:
Reactions: Stairwayyy
Any news on bayonetta's release in smash?

Dates? Anything?

Bartz and Terra didn't make it because "nobody'd recognize them"?

We got fucking Corrin.

We got fucking Corrin.
But muh animes

EDIT: You know it's funny how every time I see FE Fates and call only call it anime. I don't even see it as a game because it's general themes and presentation is so laughable that it only falls under the recognizable realm of shoddy anime territory to me.

Any news on bayonetta's release in smash?

Dates? Anything?

Mid-late February is the best we've gotten so far. I know that's when Corrin is planned to drop, and I think that they're releasing congruently.

Well, considering the fact that the longest piece of known literature is a Smash fanfiction (literally), we can't really say much.
You're shitting me right?I need links for this shit.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/21/sakuraixnomuraparttwo/

PART 2

- Nomura ended up extending the deadline of his illustration until crunch time
- Mostly because while he had Link vs Cloud thought up first thing, he didn't know who else to have
- He literally didn't know he could use characters not already in Smash Bros, which is why he drew a second Cloud instead of some other FF character
- This was the first time he ever drew DK
- Mario 64 was an inspiration for the first Kingdom Hearts, which in hindsight explains all the extra platforming that one had compared to the others
- Sakurai apparently considers Snake's reveal for Brawl the biggest surprise in Smash so far
- When Cloud was being made, there were no special recommendations or must-have-or-not-have list from Square, so they were able to have free reign on how they approached Cloud's character
- The next Nintendo/Square collab will be between Nomura's and Sakurai's cats :y

^ Damnit, was about to post that.

What's not likely clear from that video (Unless you speak glorious Nipponese) is that Bayonetta and Corrin are releasing on February 4th in Japan-land, which means that they may be launching as early as the 3rd in other regions due to time-zone fuckery.

EDIT: Twitter confirmed, afternoon of the 3rd for NA, morning of the fourth for EU. Sorry Euro-bros, get rekt I guess.

Last edited:
Maintenance this evening from 4:50-6:30 PST, just a heads up if you were planning to run some Bayo/Corrin matches today.

Unfortunately I assume that's the case.

Really should have been Terra. IMO the most memorable heroine in the most memorable FF (story-wise), and was on a Nintendo Console to boot. Morph, esper summoning and use, and being a general magic-knight would have given her a lot of gameplay possibilities too.

The SNES characters aren't as visually recognizable due to being mostly in sprite form (even for those who played the originals), but you could make the same argument about less recognizable or distinctive designs like Shulk, Corrin, etc. as others have previously mentioned.

But muh animes

EDIT: You know it's funny how every time I see FE Fates and call only call it anime. I don't even see it as a game because it's general themes and presentation is so laughable that it only falls under the recognizable realm of shoddy anime territory to me.

Regardless of how you feel about the story or presentation, at it's core it's still a hardcore strategy game. It's absolutely a game through and through.

Last edited:
again, I would have liked Warrior of Light, Cecil, or Terra, but I've gotten over Cloud.

I mean, you literally cannot make an argument that any other FF protagonist is as recognizable, popular (even among people who don't play Final Fantasy or people who don't play games all that often period), or more iconic to the franchise than Cloud Strife.
Literally the only thing he has against him is that he hasn't been in a lot of games on Nintendo's consoles. And that he's overrated. In other words, too popular.

I mean, you literally cannot make an argument that any other FF protagonist is as recognizable, popular (even among people who don't play Final Fantasy or people who don't play games all that often period), or more iconic to the franchise than Cloud Strife.

Yeah, but is he GOOD is the thing.

Jokes aside, you are correct. Sadly.

that said, the palettes they picked for Cloud are absolute shit.

Advent children should have just been one color and the other six should have been for every FF main on the SNES.

we didn't need all the soldier classes.
that's dumb.
those palettes are dumb.
wasting two slots for a sleeve option is bad.
whoever decided that should feel bad.

Yeah, looking forward to picking them up tomorrow (have math stuff due tonight, can't be playing stuff now).

I got Bayonetta and she's really fun to play. Her down Smash surprised me, it was like watching Kirby turn into a rock and die. Gonna play around with her more.

getting my dragonkin right now.
I will become ALL the nii-sans!

console decided to do the update AFTER I bought Corrin...