• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Super Best Friends Thread

Favorite Zaibatsu Member?

• Matt

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Pat

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • Woolie

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • Liam

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • Zach

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Slow, baby version of Blazblue?
Pat didn't even say that! that was some guy in the comments.

Before we jump to conclusions let's see what everyone has to say when they actually play the game for fisticuffs.
It's a shame that Beowulf isn't in yet, Pat would fucking love him.
people have different opinions and that debate is one of the reasons why i enjoy watching their videos.

i'm assuming he means the first version of SG, which Mike did implement changes to speed it up.

Maybe once upon a time they were decent, but everytime I watch them play something on fisticuffs I kind of vomit because jesus christ.
Dude come on, do you really expect them to be fucking experts?

Dude come on, do you really expect them to be fucking experts?
No, no not at all.

But I would like some legwork.

You know you're playing this game, pick up a character, learn a neutral, do a bnb.

Why is that so hard to ask?

A week before they play it, they sit down and just kind of dabble in a character, they'd be no experts, but they'd seem semi-competent.

Watching their 3rd strike videos wasn't too bad because at least there were something you could follow, but that p4a video hurt.

@Sanoblaze It's like you read my post, took the part where I acknowledge he didn't say that and only agreed with another post without elaborating, and just cut it off, why?

You're taking fighting games way too seriously if this is bothering you.

Oh man, I'm gonna get so much shit for that statement, bring it on nerds.

Last edited:
I was just mainly going over what you were responding to.

again, Pat wasn't the one who said it. there could be so many different implications from that statement, like "more chibified anime style" or "too much on screen at once" he wasn't really specific.

I do agree with Zen though, you're taking it a bit too seriously.

You're taking fighting games way too seriously if this is bothering you.
Are you serious right now?

This is their job, for 2 out of 4 of them, this pays the bills.

It's REALLY not much to ask to play half an hour a day for a couple of days so it doesn't look like a ton of IGN reviewers picking up the game for the first time.

Also, don't tell me that I take my hobby too seriously, it's my hobby, and if I want to see it done a little better, it doesn't make me some over serious no life weirdo, it makes me someone passionate about something he likes.

Just like those Pokemon videos, I don't EVEN play Pokemon competitively, I haven't played a pokemon since, I think Emerald or Plat., but I know more about Pokemon than Liam who says he's an expert. A few of my friends are into it and just from sitting next to them I've soaked in more knowledge than he has.

How is it fun to watch anything preformed poorly?
It's WHY they pick games they're competent at to do LPs of, because watching someone whose never played Bayonetta for the first time is PAINFUL.
It HURTS, it physically HURTS to watch.

They have said they are not competitive fighters. they arent like DSP who claims to be a fighting game expert but is a total bitch when he's playing the game over every little thing. they're at least willing to admit their incompetence in fighting games.

and if you want to watch guys playing games perfectly, watch a walkthrough. LPs are more meant for fun, not knowing how to do the game.

Reactions: Denizen
They have said they are not competitive fighters. they arent like DSP who claims to be a fighting game expert but is a total bitch when he's playing the game over every little thing. they're at least willing to admit their incompetence in fighting games.

and if you want to watch guys playing games perfectly, watch a walkthrough. LPs are more meant for fun, not knowing how to do the game.
It's not about competitiveness, it's about competency.
I can't even hear their commentary because Pat is banging on his stick while someone is attempting to convert off a stray hit. Why am I hearing 30 clicks (and their voices drowned out by the clicks) when they're just jumping around?

It's not about competitiveness, it's about competency.
I can't even hear their commentary because Pat is banging on his stick while someone is attempting to convert off a stray hit. Why am I hearing 30 clicks (and their voices drowned out by the clicks) when they're just jumping around?
because they're just having fun! are you against people playing fighting games for fun?

better break this out then
No_Fun_Allowed.jpg

Excellent Adventures is JUST ABOUT DICKING AROUND, sure Gootecks and Mike Ross aren't bad, but they're yucking it up and playing.
They play characters they haven't touched before I can see something?
Why do they not even know the buttons or inputs, it's not hard, it's a 3 second google search for the old games and pressing start for the newer ones.

I like the very casual nature of their fighting vids, it makes it alot more fun to me. Since they're all terrible at the games, anyone can win, instead of just one person being way better and just steamrolling ala usually woolie. But I'm not competitive at all with games, so that probably factors into it.
But yeah, shame that Pat feels that way towards SG, but I fully expect tons of hype from matt and woolie during the FNF :PUN:

but the best friends don't even claim to be experts! they even are like "no you don't" when they get comments saying "man, I wish I played as good as these guys". why are you getting mad they they don't play what they don't claim to be?

because they're just having fun! are you against people playing fighting games for fun?

better break this out then

Because for me, fun is knowledge, fun is obtaining something, fun is learning.

Like I said, I'm not asking for Pat to do SMP loops and shit, I'm REALLY REALLY just asking not to hear 1,000 button clicks and all I'm seeing is a green hand.

Just like how I'm not asking for encyclopedic knowledge of pokemon, but not misinformation.

I'm not mad at RE4 because no one claimed to be good at it, they're just competent, which is all I ask for.

Wasn't Matt doing legitimate combos in the new KI? Play that.

then watch people who agree with your viewpoint on fun! don't get mad at them because they're a different flavor of enjoyment than what you like!

they just want to dick around! they at least know enough fighting game basics to know how to do motions and stuff. and I don't care about the excessive button presses. you are a bit too anal about that.

And the fact that they wouldn't be talking if they were playing seriously as shown by the KI vid where they did post-commentary, which is no fun. Mike Ross and Gootecks have a great show because they're playing against randoms online and one of them focuses on talking smack as the other is focusing on fighting/ getting salty.

Because for me, fun is knowledge, fun is obtaining something, fun is learning.
For me fun is playing a video game and not having to listen to people complain about my competency at it.

They're having fun, 99.99% of their viewers are having fun, they're not going to change just for you so get over it.

That's fine, Denizen, you can suck at games forever, no one's going to kill you for it.

But when I see people paid to pay games play games terribly, it hurts.

Being comfortable with the game means that you can do more with it.

Compare how much knowledge they drop when they play Barkley, talking about the RPG genre, how easy it is to listen to them when they play Revengence, talking about other action games.

To fighting games, to which it's just yelling, clicking, and Woolie occasionally telling the others how to do inputs.

Hell, I'm just going to ask them to play the game a little before they go on air with it, see if they pick up that suggestion or not.

But when I see people paid to pay games play games terribly, it hurts.
No, they're paid to make people laugh and they do a pretty damn good job at that.

No, they're paid to make people laugh and they do a pretty damn good job at that.
Then are they really? A ton of their videos aren't comedy nor are they trying to do comedy.

I guess their Machinima stuff is comedy, but almost everything else is just them passing around information they know with each other.

They are entertainment, though.

Then are they really? A ton of their videos aren't comedy nor are they trying to do comedy.
Let me be more broad then, they're paid to entertain and they do a fucking fantastic job at that.

Let me be more broad then, their job is to entertain and they do a fucking fantastic job at that.
Subjective.

They entertain me when it shows they've done a little legwork and can kick back and just talk, a hundred percent of their effort isn't going into the game because they've done the song and dance before. Hearing people just talk about videogames entertains me, but not when it's their first time or when they haven't tried beforehand, because they have to take effort away from being entertaining to just stay alive, unless that IS the entertainment, like in RadBrad's case.

It's why their podcasts are so entertaining to me, they have informed opinions.

Subjective.
Exactly, so stop trying to argue your point and get the hell out if you don't like what they're doing.

then watch the LPs that you like if you don't like the Best Friends' way of doing it then.

Exactly, so stop trying to argue your point and get the hell out if you don't like what they're doing.
You seem REALLY upset for someone who isn't seeing any of their money.
I haven't attacked them personally, so calm down man.

It's either subective and I DO have a point to argue, or it's objective and there's not point to argue at all, it's a fact.

Last time I checked, this was a forum, a place for all kinds of conversation, including debate.

For someone who was telling me I took video games too seriously, you seem pretty heated about these people. They're fine, they're adults, they can defend themselves if they want to, but they don't really have anything to defend, I was just voicing my opinion.

then watch the LPs that you like if you don't like the Best Friends' way of doing it then.
Oh, I do.
But this is the SBF thread, a place where you talk about the SBF, so I am.

Oh, I do.
But this is the SBF thread, a place where you talk about the SBF, so I am.
yes, but you're just using this thread as a way of ranting on a thread that the best friends might never touch. why don't you go on Gaf and tell them your thoughts if its such a problem if you want them to change?

You're complaining about how Matt, Pat, Woolie, and Liam run their Friday Night Fisticuffs. You keep telling us about what you find entertaining and that the Zaibatsu should change their actions to suit your preferences.

Here's the problem with that, neither I nor them really give damn about what you want. Their aim is not to entertain you specifically, their aim is to entertain their entire fan base. You have an opinion that an extremely small percentage of the SBF fan base shares, yet you're talking as if it actually matters.

What pisses me off is not your opinion of them, it's you wanting more than what you're getting for free.

Last edited:
yes, but you're just using this thread as a way of ranting on a thread that the best friends might never touch. why don't you go on Gaf and tell them your thoughts if its such a problem if you want them to change?
I did?
I posted earlier I was going to ask them to practice the fighting games they play a little before hand?

And yeah, I am.
Ranting's okay, part of typing on a forum.
I never said I want them dead or they should quit or anything.
Just "I like the SBF more when they're comfortable with the material they're discussing, it allows them to go more in-depth instead of scraping on the surface and giving me shallow conversations."
That's it.

You're complaining about how Matt, Pat, Woolie, and Liam run their Friday Night Fisticuffs. You keep telling us about what you find entertaining and that the Zaibatsu should change their actions to suit your preferences.

Here's the problem with that, neither I nor them really give damn about what you want. Their aim is not to entertain you specifically, their aim is to entertain their entire fan base. You have an opinion that an extremely small percentage of the SBF fan base shares, yet you're talking as if it actually matters.

What pisses me off is not your opinion of them, it's this sense of entitlement that you're displaying.
So because I'm the minority, I don't matter?

Dude, you either need to reevaluate what constitutes as "importance" or you need to go simmer down and try that again.

Of course my opinion matters.

What could playing the game decently do to affect you? Would it make you stop watching? It could only help them bring in more views.

EDIT:Free, why is it free? Are you assuming I don't but their T-shirts, are you assuming I haven't given them stuff? Granted, it would be dark for me to lord shit like that over their hands, it wouldn't be cool at all.

I'm just trying to progress a program I enjoy.

If you like something, you try to make it better, or at least I do.

I wouldn't kick down Mike Z's door with "I'M ALLOWING YOUR TO MAKE YOU GAME DO WHAT I SAY".

But I would expect him to at least acknowledge my opinion, NOT AS RIGHT, but as something to at least look at considering I'm a part of his game's player base, same as here.

That's all I'm doing, venting my feelings and trying to make something I like, in my opinion better.

Last edited:
So because I'm the minority, I don't matter?
Of course my opinion matters.
I worded that poorly. Yeah I sometimes say things that I don't mean when I'm pissed off.

What I'm saying is that they're trying to please everyone here and pleasing everyone is impossible. If you happen to be one of the few people that they're not pleasing with their free entertainment then you shouldn't be complaining.

I don't care how well they play the game, it wouldn't change my viewing habits.

EDIT:Free, why is it free? Are you assuming I don't buy their T-shirts, are you assuming I haven't given them stuff?
You're paying for the T-Shirt, not the entertainment. Also a gift does not count as credit in exchange for the entertainment that they were already giving you for free, it's just a gift. No matter what you do their services will always be free and no amount of merchandise purchasing or gift giving will entitle you to anything from them.
That's all I'm doing, venting my feelings and trying to make something I like, in my opinion better.
That's good, it's great even, but let me make you aware of the root of the argument here.

Entitlement. Do you want them to get better at fighting games or do you believe that they have an obligation to get better at fighting games? If it's the former then I have no problems here and I have nothing more to say, if it's the latter then we have a problem.

Last edited:
You're paying for the T-Shirt, not the entertainment. Also a gift does not count as credit in exchange for the entertainment that they were already giving you for free, it's just a gift. No matter what you do their services will always be free and no amount of merchandise purchasing or gift giving will entitle you to anything from them.

That's good, it's great even, but let me make you aware of the root of the argument here.

Entitlement. Do you want them to get better at fighting games or do you believe that they have an obligation to get better at fighting games? If it's the former then I have no problems here and I have nothing more to say, if it's the latter then we have a problem.
I know that, which is what the "GRANTED" is for, I wanted to point it out before it even became an arguing point.

And no, I want them to become better at the games they play because I feel it would raise the quality of their videos, no more, no less.

I'm not demanding it, I'm just asking for an implementation.

I'm not demanding it, I'm just asking for an implementation.
Then we're done here, finished, finito.

Exeunt Zen

Enter Zen

The Zaibatsu has a nice surprise for all you weeaboo nerds out there.

so.... Didja guys hear what is now on the Woolie watch?
ibbPgATOucqoX3.gif

gotta keep to what I'm known for

new early video: the guys go to anime north and get stuff

time to expect Arc Sys Fisticuffs of the North Star in the near future?!

:PUN: