• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Tokusatsu Corner

your favorite toku franchise

• Kamen Rider

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Sentai

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Ultraman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Garo

• Tomica Hero Rescue Force

• Godzilla

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Mothra

• Gamera

• Other (leave a comment of it and I'll add it to the poll

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Kikaider

• Total voters

SanoBaron

Delicious chewable Hubba-Bella
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Steam
RedRummage and for 3DS 3695-0329-5107
PSN
Sanoblaze
Cerebella Peacock
Hey all, since theres been a lot of stuff going on with tokusastu as of late, I figured I'd make a thread for those of us who like tokusatsu of all kinds. with a little help from @Immaevilspacewhale who is a fan of Sentai!

Now you may be asking, "what is tokusatsu?"

Tokusatsu is generally summed up as Japanese live action shows or movies.

Wanna talk about how the new Power Rangers are nothing like the original sentai? feel free to do it right here.

Wanna talk about who would win in a fight between GoGoV or Tomica Hero Rescue Force? do it here! but the answer is Garo. it's always Garo.

Wanna talk about your favorite giant Japanese monster movies or the new Godzilla? do it here!

excited about the new Kikaider reboot? talk about it here!

so, I just got back from seeing Godzilla.

it was.

AMAZING!
godzilla2014_poster2.jpg

Reactions: Cybermanworf
This belongs more here than in the Kamen Rider thread as it is Tokusatsu in General. I did not make it, but I did have it relayed to me by a friend (he has to semd me the link for it).

Attack on Hero.

Where would be good sentai to start off with. I am thinking of going with the sentai that got adapted into timeforce, but if any one has any better suggestions it would be nice to hear them.

Through like private messaging or should I wait for @Immaevilspacewhale to pop on this thread?

Which one was Kakuranger, even though I have watched the majority of power rangers I am not greatly familiar with Sentai that much but I am planning to be.

Kakuranger is ninjas. it has a really fun and yet at the same time kind of serious feel to it. plus, they have a member that speaks perfect english, and the ninja stuff is actually really cool.

I just mentioned Space since he's more into Sentai than me. he'd probably be better to give you options.

and I think he'd be okay with either or on asking him.

I've been considering looking into Kamen Rider (including the old ass ones), but I'm more interested in checking out old Sentai shows.
To see what it must be like to watch TV in Japan

I can vouch for Dairanger! that one is really good too!

I'd start with either Abaranger, ToQger, Zyuranger, Dairanger or Kakuranger.

GoGoV is also uploaded but im not sure if its getting daily uploads

Thanks for the response, Since you have responded here you don't have to respond to the conversation if you don't want to. I think I will start with Dairanger since I recognise the white ranger suit in that.

Also @Jutsei I would also reccomened going through Kamen rider as well, it's really good.

To see what it must be like to watch TV in Japan
or at the very least Sunday mornings.

if you want a variety of what Japanese age groups are given in tokusatsu, I would recommend Sentai as the younger generation, Kamen Rider for teens and young adults, and Garo for the older audiences.

theres also another sentai that I've heard is really good.

Jetman.
I've heard a lot of people say it's one of the best Sentai.

Since I asked about what would be good series to go through with Super sentai what would not be a good series to start with and or which of the series aren't that good ?

Sorry Kamen Rider, must choose the King of the Monsters on this one.

Ultraman is mixed.

sometimes it's all ages, other times you get stuff like Max which is SUPER grimdark. like, tons of main characters die kind of stuff.

looking at the options again I see one I have never seen before, what is tomica hero resuce force, Also wouldn't Kikiaider be one of the ones the voting list.

Tomica Hero Rescue Force is kind of like GoGoV with it's rescue theme, but it's made by Takara Tomy, and has featured some Toku veterans and pre veterans, like Hiroshi Fujioka and the guy who would eventually play Akira Date in Kamen Rider OOO. I've only seen a couple episodes of it but it's fun and it has some pretty good action and suit designs.

Last edited:
That looks quite good, seem like it is definitely worth looking into.

they also don't have a monster of the week, but a disaster of the week, with the enemies being the obstacle for them to get through.

Okay, now that is a really interesting take on it and sounds really cool. Also since I might as well complete the rest of them, which would be a good garo series to start with, which would be a good ultraman series to start with, which would be a good godzilla to watch and which would be a good kikaider to start with ?

the first garo is something you should ALWAYS start on.

and I personally recommend Tiga. it sets a good bar for Ultraman.

the original Gojira is a classic and is what many consider the best Godzilla for both the tone and theme of the film.

and Kikaider is kind of different. either the original series or the anime version are both good to check out. the anime version is stylized and I love it for that.

Okay watched the first episode of Dairanger, one of the thing I am going to bring up is watching an episode of super sentai compared to kamen rider, it just feels really different watching one to the other although I am probably going to get that feeling again when I watch my first episode of garo.

It was a decent introduction even though I didn't catch who everybody was. My favourite character is the mentor guy. although I do have to say I am not entirely sure how the red ranger knew how to transform himself into a ranger immediately would be my only complaint so far.

although I do have to say I am not entirely sure how the red ranger knew how to transform himself into a ranger immediately would be my only complaint so far.
welcome to super sentai. I've found more often than not, the red guy just automatically knows how to do his transformation when he gets his equipment without being told to.

It just felt weird because the red ranger in this one was the most clueless about what was going on and then hey I got powers now.

I think its fine. not every sentai does it, other times the red member is the new guy or he learns along with everyone else.they usually do other things but the more modern series are likely to have characters do that.

Yeah that makes sense. Well this is the first one I am watching and will just have to see how the other ones go.

You know....I have t introduce one of the most crazy & offensive Monsters of the Week to appear in any Tokusatsu series.

From Kamen Rider X, we have....Starfish Hitler

Yeah, X had to fight him.

Well with Sentai for me it was mixed I got into from at the time Gokaiger which was just coming out. I finished watching that when it was done. Currently watching Shinkenger and Kyroruger. Was also watching Hurricanger and Gao. Hurricanger hopefully I can find more episodes. As for Kamen Rider fourze got me into it. Currently watching Kiva and Gamiu. Was seeing Wizard but never really got hooked is that bad? But I haven't watched them all lately been more into my anime. Non sentai is thaf unoffical one gonna finished watching the second season.

You know....I have t introduce one of the most crazy & offensive Monsters of the Week to appear in any Tokusatsu series.

From Kamen Rider X, we have....Starfish Hitler

Yeah, X had to fight him.

What the frig, what the frig is... seriously, well that does it, that is one of the weirdest thing I have ever seen added to my list of the weirdest stuff I will never be able to forget about now.

eh, once you've seen the Garo monsters, Starfish Hitler just doesn't seem all that weird.

I have no idea whether that makes me more interested in getting into Garo or less excited, I will get into Garo at some point because it looks frigging badass, but still.

Also watched the first episode of Shinkenger, it's brilliant, I like all the characters personality, the villains are entertaining and I like how thorough they are being with the traditional stuff.

they're not really obscure, they just look like something H.R. Giger would've thought up.

HR Giger inspired monsters sounds better than jumbling a random animal with a random historical figure together to create a monster.

its not really 'inspired' as it looks like they'd be some of the night terrors he would write down in his book.

Either way the designs sound like they have a bit more going towards them them random animal plus random historical figure equals new monster of the week.

Well, Showa had plenty of goofy monsters.

I mean, wasn't there a sentai monster with swastikas all over him and a flamethrower?

and I was mistaken
nazi-chainsaw-flamethrower.gif

this is not from a sentai.
its from danger 5