• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Them's Fightin' Herds

I've always kept my eye on this game because it had a lot of potential. With the Z engine, as long as they figure out how to work all of Mike's magic, I have high hopes! So after seeing the cute cow character I just had to mess around with some color palettes.

tumblr_npekd1q24B1tert8xo1_400.png
tumblr_npekd1q24B1tert8xo2_400.png
tumblr_npekd1q24B1tert8xo3_400.png
tumblr_npekd1q24B1tert8xo4_400.png
This is the only one with a reference, that being a neapolitan banana split.
tumblr_npekd1q24B1tert8xo5_400.png

Just some fan colors by me. ^.^

I still say you can't hope too much JUST because of Z engine:

- We don't know how well documented it is
- It still requires a dedicated and skilled programmer willing to learn how to use it

To my knowledge, mane6 has been in contact with mike for learning the engine, but that might be a thing I'm making up.

Honestly, there isn't a fighting game that has been 100% good on release, and I don't think its a big deal if the game isn't great on release because 1. they were able to put a game out there and 2. they can always improve it later if they want.

Yeah, I know if they have no clue what to do with the Z engine, then it won't matter that they have it. But before even acquiring the engine, the prototype of the original FIM was pretty good IMO. I'd hope they'd be in contact with Mike, and I'm sure Mike wouldn't mind anyways because his main goal has always been to get more quality fighting games out to there. Plus he's given input on other fighting games as well so I can't see why he wouldn't help this one using his product.

To my knowledge, mane6 has been in contact with mike for learning the engine, but that might be a thing I'm making up.

They did a while ago and presumably they still do when they need him, pretty sure if they need anything Mike would be alright with talking about his engine.

Cool so Applejack's launcher puts her airborne now? Or did she get a DP?

Looks like the cow is cancelling it into a jump, either that or its a tiger knee or balrog's headbutt.

I think he meant that the launcher itself sends her airborne? Like Rainbow Dashes launcher being like Flash kick. But yeah it looks like the normal L-M-H-Launcher-Jump cancel like from the previous project.

The hitsparks look like they are a light source which is kind of funny looking, lol.

Those animations are looking great though, I really love it. I like the fizzy hair on the hitstuns.

well I'll be... I'm not a pony fan or furry fan or what ever people call it. But this looks smooth, these guys are doing good on the Z engine. I approve.
You're a fighting game fan!

I think he meant that the launcher itself sends her airborne? Like Rainbow Dashes launcher being like Flash kick. But yeah it looks like the normal L-M-H-Launcher-Jump cancel like from the previous project.

The hitsparks look like they are a light source which is kind of funny looking, lol.

Those animations are looking great though, I really love it. I like the fizzy hair on the hitstuns.

Now that I look at it again I can see the stutter between the launcher and jump animations. Okay.

I haven't been following development of this game too heavily, but that clip @Some Person posted is pretty awesome. The way that combo looks reminds me a lot of the feel of some prior versions of Rumble Pack... which is a really good thing in my book. Hope for potential expressive combos as long as juggles/ground bounces don't get needlessly restrictive over time.

huh... Jax ground pounds. neat. I can start to see some actual combo options coming from the Cow. Doing a b c launcher combos into a restand and doing launching options with the ground pound.

ReindeerPalettesInEngine.png

...Thats a Keldeo on the left. Im sold.

Yeah, it looks like the two campaigns could end up being only days apart, but that might not be a bad thing. Since the Z-Engine is being used for both games, there will probably be a good amount of attention on LabZero either way, and maybe that could open the door for some helpful cross promotion. Sites that mainly want to talk about Herds might still want to make a passing mention to Indivisible/Skullgirls, and vice versa, which would be cool.

You can also bet that IGG will go out of their way to highlight both projects, and the collective audiences for both could bring a lot of extra attention to the site. If both campaigns can be up around the same time, that might also prevent either one from stealing the momentum from the other. That was like the case with the Half-Genie Hero KS, where by the time it started, many potential Backers had already dumped their wallets on Mighty No. 9.

My money's mainly going to Indivisible, but I'll see what I got left to help out these guys too. Hopefully both projects can be successful alongside each other.

ReindeerPalettesInEngine.png

...Thats a Keldeo on the left. Im sold.

Keep in mind that the pallete might not stay, since they definitely normally just make a bunch of test palettes for funsies. That would be a cool palette though.

Wouldn't this precisely coincide with the Indivisible IGG? Or was that the Demo that was supposed to come out Mid Sept, I forget

Did labzero say that they were doing later on in september? All of their advertising for a while kept saying early september for the demo/crowdfunding.

OK< so in light of this recent title reveal, Fighting is Magic is no longer an appropriate title for this thread. Can someone swap it?

i can since TC hasn't been active for a few months. What title?

i can since TC hasn't been active for a few months. What title?
Them's Fightin' Herds

I think it would have sounded better if they shortened it to just "Fightin' Herds," but whatevs.

Defininetly gonna throw money at this if i can. But LabZero/Indivisible comes first for me. Pretty excited to see infos on what they change to the engine and tools etc. during the dev process.

I'm gonna wait for the FGC to come up with some other clever title for this, just cause this name feels real awkward.

I feel like they asked Mike to come up with the title.
yeah... it kinda sounds like a pun Mike would make. Like Mane6 came up to him and was like "We're going to make a fund raiser for our game but we haven't come up with a good name for it yet. Do you have any suggestions, Mike?"
"uh... I don't know... Them' Fightin' Herds?"
"Wow that actually is a lot better than the ones we were coming up with, thanks Mike!"
"Wait I was jokin- ah never mind."

I don't care about the name of the game, sure it's silly. But then again it's a fighter where you play as a cow and reindeer and other animals.

GASP! THEY SHOULD MAKE A MOOSE FOR THE NEXT CHARACTER! CANADIAN GRAPPLING MOOSE! USING HER ANTLERS TO TOSS OPPONENTS ACROSS THE STAGE! HOLY COW THAT WOULD BE THE BEST.

i know Mike. Fudge...

does the Mane6 people have a twitter or facebook somewhere? I need to suggest to them about the Canadian Moose idea asap. sorry but just the thought of playing as something so awesome just blows my mind.

Edit: nvm found their twitter. told em. also suggested not to take my idea cause i'm some dumb nerd online whom they can just ignore, yadda yadda yadda.

Last edited:
If this ever gets traction in the FGC it'll probably be called TFH by most people and that'll be that.

Reactions: Dean[SG]
I'm probably gonna call it Fighting is Magic for a long time. Ain't easy kicking a few year long habit.

Last edited:
GASP! THEY SHOULD MAKE A MOOSE FOR THE NEXT CHARACTER! CANADIAN GRAPPLING MOOSE!
Oh hey, that sounds pretty cool. But hopefully you didn't message them about this idea on twitte-
found their twitter. told em.
NOOO! Dude, you pulled a Juju!!

RIP Moose.

NOOO! Dude, you pulled a Juju!!

RIP Moose.

i did say that they shouldn't take my idea in the tweet dude. like come on, besides they would have had other characters planed/ working on so the Moose idea is just a fun thought. the likely hood of them taking the idea is like zero. and if they do take it they're going to change it so i can't come in and be like you took my idea hur der der...

also i would even do that cause i'm not a jerk and I don't care.