• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Them's Fightin' Herds

There's a big difference between taking inspiration and recycling :/ it's impossible to invent anything new because everything has an origin, but it's how you mix different elements together that make an unique title. Grim Fandango takes inspiration from previous Lucas Arts titles, Film Noir, aztec and mexican folklore, but it's Grim Fandango. Mighty N9 is a Megaman rip-off, the authors named it a megaman rip-off, it selled as a megaman rip-off.
Also I find Ahad's design and style very different from Guilty Gear's, even though it's one of his inspirations, but I guess that's just me.

Think of it this way: have you ever heard of

croc-legend-of-the-gobbos-usa.jpg
Initially it was pitched to Nintendo as a 3D Yoshi game. However, the deal fell through, so the creators salvaged what they had and made it into Croc, a completely new IP.

The situation with Them's Fightin' Herds is not too different. Fan-made My Little Pony fighting game. Cease-and-desisted. Creators salvage what they have and turn it into a new IP.

cheap chinese shit
Here's what I think of this situation: the same person who's directing the art, setting and story assets for this project is the same woman who gave up her cushy job as creative director of MLP for the opportunity to create new franchises and universes that are compelling to her.

Here she has another opportunity to create a brand new universe and I don't think she'll pass it up easily. If there is a worry that she'll treat this as a side pro-bono hack job that only requires minimal modifications to the MLP franchise, where a cheap knock-off product is all that is required at the end... I don't think she got to where she is today (A respected artist who has had decades of experience working in cartoons and movies) with that kind of an attitude.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between taking inspiration and recycling :/
On this point, I don't think recycling is what's happening here. Alternatively, it is, but it's recycling of Fighting is Magic, not Friendship is Magic.

Somewhat repeating fenster's points from earlier, but while the characters in Fighting is Magic weren't original, the gameplay and fighting styles were. Fluttershy has a thing for animals, but she never summons a horde of them. Rarity is good with gems, but it's detecting and using them, not creating a vein where she pleases. Applejack's pass-through-opponent dash has no precedence in the show, nor is she one particularly for headbutting. Twilight doesn't leave around exploding book pages, Pinkie doesn't have a history of suffocating anyone when she snaps. List goes on.

Replace gems with ice or animals with demons, and turns out that the Mane6's creative input is now entirely unassociated with MLP. If there was no Fighting is Magic, we wouldn't instantly think "the cowboy cow clearly is AJ because lasso, while the deer is Rarity because fabulous", since those traits are not specific to just those characters.
Not to mention we've only seen 2/6 (at least 6 is the probably number of characters at LEAST).
This is a wild guess perhaps, but since the trailer mentions 4 characters by name, I suspect the initial goal with be for 4 chars, with one/two/more being possible stretch goals. Would make sense if so. I'd rather see the game funded with 4 characters (with the option of more if the stretch goals are met) than see it aim for 6 and be forced to wrap up because welp, only funding for 5,5 was gathered.

There is one thing, about how the MLP fanbase is going to see this game.

I imagine that the sucess of this game, the indiegogo or kickstarter, i don't know, will be mainly dependant on the MLP fanbase, and that is a big fanbase.

But will they see this as: cool, a game that took inspiration on our favorite show.

or: damn, they are ripping off mlp, this shouldn't exist.

If someone here can answer what is the reception of the game, i would like to know.

actually adding in the some of the older sound effects used in Skull Girls works here in the trailer too.

also... that title, I can not get over just how silly it is. I mean I LIKE it, but like you can't take it seriously when someone is announcing for a tourney and they say "Okay now it's time for the top 8s for Thems' Fighting Herds" I swear people are just going to call it Fighting Herds...

Yeah, I'm pretty much calling it TFH until the FGC comes up with another name that works better for it. The wonderful world of copyright.

I'm just calling it Fighting Herds.
The "Them's" is small in the title anyways so I'm dropping it

This is old, but

This is a wild guess perhaps, but since the trailer mentions 4 characters by name, I suspect the initial goal with be for 4 chars, with one/two/more being possible stretch goals.

I forgot to respond to this, but there's this.
So yeah, 6 characters. Keep in mind that Mane6 are preeeeeetty smart and veeeeeery secretive about everything they show, they'll only show us exactly everything that they want us to see (because I guess they like seeing us flub and make guesses about stuff like whatever that last name was argh).

Other relevant questions that were brought up are

No Demo at the time of the crowdfunding. First playable beta build for backers will come but later on. Just nipping the bud since there will still probably be people asking "Why not do what Indivisible is doing and give a demo for the crowdfund?" when.....that isn't the norm and needs to be planned.

This post just confirms that the Green meter under health is tied to combo length, potentially not as harsh as undizzy.

Whoops, I guess I'm a little late to the discussion.

But, uh, I'm tempted to side with Chicken on this, yes I understand that it's good for fans of the original material, especially something like Mega Man which won't be seeing any new content any time soon, but I honestly cannot stand these indie games that only sell themselves as "This thing you like but not".

Because it just becomes pointless and uninteresting to anyone who wasn't a fan of the original to begin with. Like, you don't have to have played Marvel 2 to enjoy Skullgirls, because it has enough original elements to draw interest. But as someone who never played the Banjo-Kazooie games, saying that they're remaking the game but in HD and with slightly different characters doesn't mean anything to me. Furthermore no Skullgirls character is a straight rip of any one character, hell we don't even have a true shoto.

But at the same time, in the specific case of Fightin' Herds, yeah, the characters themselves are only obvious rebrandings of the ponies' personalities, which,
weren't all that complex to begin with. They kinda fit in with the standard kids' comedy cartoon archetypes, just replace Science Guy with Applejack's straight forward approach and add a Bashful for Fluttershy.

So I guess, all in all I support Fightin' Herds, if only because having a 2D fighter populated only with quadrapeds is an interesting concept, and at worst it's equivalent to Bruce Willis being in Project X Zone, yes it's a clear rebranding to avoid copyright issues, but it still puts the character in new situations, so it's cool.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
If there isn't going to be a playable demo with the kickstarter I think I'll be saving some money this month. After trying the original game I'd really like a demo, because the way that game feels when you play it is not for me.

But, uh, I'm tempted to side with Chicken on this, yes I understand that it's good for fans of the original material, especially something like Mega Man which won't be seeing any new content any time soon, but I honestly cannot stand these indie games that only sell themselves as "This thing you like but not".

Because it just becomes pointless and uninteresting to anyone who wasn't a fan of the original to begin with. Like, you don't have to have played Marvel 2 to enjoy Skullgirls, because it has enough original elements to draw interest. But as someone who never played the Banjo-Kazooie games, saying that they're remaking the game but in HD and with slightly different characters doesn't mean anything to me. Furthermore no Skullgirls character is a straight rip of any one character, hell we don't even have a true shoto.
There is an audience for games in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie, but the people who wanted to make another Banjo-Kazooie game were unable to, and had to settle with making a spiritual successor instead. But obviously a sequel to a series you aren't a fan of wasn't going to interest you, so of course a spiritual successor wouldn't. If that type of game doesn't appeal to you, then it doesn't appeal to you. I'm not seeing why some people find this so irksome.

But at the same time, in the specific case of Fightin' Herds, yeah, the characters themselves are only obvious rebrandings of the ponies' personalities, which, weren't all that complex to begin with.
We're not actually 100% certain that is the case yet. That isn't to say that I would be surprised if there did end up being some mix-and-matching in that regard. But the main reason we're calling some of these characters things like "Not Applejack" and "the Fluttershy expy" in the first place, aside from not knowing everyone's names yet, is because it is apparent that a lot of their moves, if not all of them, resemble those of their counterparts in Fighting is Magic. Which I can't say I blame them for, considering that they put so much time and effort into the original for roughly 2 years only to have it shut down.

There is an audience for games in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie, but the people who wanted to make another Banjo-Kazooie game were unable to, and had to settle with making a spiritual successor instead. But obviously a sequel to a series you aren't a fan of wasn't going to interest you, so of course a spiritual successor wouldn't. If that type of game doesn't appeal to you, then it doesn't appeal to you. I'm not seeing why some people find this so irksome.

I mean, most of my problems with the trend don't really apply to Fightin' Herds, and,
really looking at it probably explains why I don't dislike the project all that much.

I guess for one, I disagree with your point about sequels. It's not the best example, but it's the most pertinent one to me at the moment, I recently played Yakuza 4 having never even looked at any of the previous games, but because the main story itself is self-contained (the backstories are not, but the central plot it) and because it doesn't expect you to know the gameplay mechanics right off the bat. They even have all the cutscenes from the previous games to fill you in, if you really desperately want to know what happened, because the game markets itself to more than just the people who played the previous games.

But I think for what really irks me about a lot of these crowdfunding projects, not all of them but a lot of them, was best worded by Zero Punctuation "The developers are almost always fans who in their eagerness to show 'respect' for their beloved franchise prefer to lavish it in tongue baths in place of any significant evolution" (and yes I'm counting Inafune in this), a sequel is expected (or at least should be expected) to expand upon the concepts brought up in the first game, either by adding more mechanics, adding more characters, or developing a theme, even remakes play with these concepts to an extent, but a lot of these projects don't feel like anything more than "do this game again, but change the character design slightly so we don't get sued".

It's also why I disliked Mega Man 9 and 10 reverting back to original sprites, it's a take on nostalgia that's harmless enough and the boxart gags were pretty cute, but it's ultimately a regressive design decision that doesn't add anything to the game.

Really, most of my whining only really applies to something like Mn9, projects like Yooka-Laylee or Bloodstained seem to aspire to be sequels or spiritual successors than anything else (and I'm down with spiritual successors. Bioshock took the gameplay of System Shock and improved upon it. And Skullgirls experimented around with how mechanics established in MvC2 could be tweaked or changed), but,
that's why I'm hesitant going into crowdfunding projects where the goal is to make a game "like x but not". Not why I automatically dislike them.

We're not actually 100% certain that is the case yet. That isn't to say that I would be surprised if there did end up being some mix-and-matching in that regard. But the main reason we're calling some of these characters things like "Not Applejack" and "the Fluttershy expy" in the first place, aside from not knowing everyone's names yet, is because it is apparent that a lot of their moves, if not all of them, resemble those of their counterparts in Fighting is Magic. Which I can't say I blame them for, considering that they put so much time and effort into the original for roughly 2 years only to have it shut down.

I wouldn't say that. There's a lot you can glean from things like body language that tie the two together. I'm not expecting Arizona to actual be non-confrontational and dainty because she has a strong stance, a cocky, aggressive facial expression, and she utilizes the strongest parts of a cow's body in her attacks, the horns and the back legs. Likewise, I don't see Velvet starkly contrasting Rarity's haughty and (physical) distancing attitude because of her tilted head, thin legs, near nobility levels of upright posture, and her one physically hitting attack 1) having a very fluid animation and 2) being one of her least damaging attacks.

If there isn't going to be a playable demo with the kickstarter I think I'll be saving some money this month. After trying the original game I'd really like a demo, because the way that game feels when you play it is not for me.

While I don't disagree on the premise (since if every crowdfund game had a vertical slice demo there would probably be more security in backers and less scams), I do think that it is an edgy case for fighting games.

Remember the several alpha videos of SG? Compared to what we have now, things are a ton different. And just like with the previous project, they want to make whatever they put out clean enough for the people to really like (which if you'd remember, the EVO Leak before wasn't even supposed to be available to internet for everyone to download and try).

It can't be said enough that they are working with a different engine, and while a bunch of attacks are the same there will also be a bunch of changes, so really comparing that project to this will probably be even worse than comparing vanilla SG to 2nd Encore.

erm... basically it's just saying how Fighting Herds is coming and that it has the music and stuff. It's pretty much like Mane6's official announcement.

then again I don't know a ton of Japanese and there might be something super cool that i am totally missing out on. But just from looking at this it looks to be a quick artical about Fighting Herds sorta like what Shoryuken does.

Last edited:
wait, Japan's getting in on it?

The international scene dream could be reeeal

This post just confirms that the Green meter under health is tied to combo length, potentially not as harsh as undizzy.
Actually, the way it seems to work in the trailer, plus the fact that it's not a "hard limit" seems to indicate that it is undizzy (in as much as undizzy is simply tied to a value that each move builds when it hits). As for what happens when the meter is filled up, that could be anything (both games with undizzy have different implementations, Skullgirls gives a burst, MvC2 just forces the defended to drop out of the combo).

cheGDti.png

The-The-The... Millionaire Funding 2015 is about to begin. Hardcore fans have been eagerly anticipating this event, and now the waiting is finally over. Check your budgetary restrictions at the door, ladies and gentlemen. This is gonna be one incredible funding that won't easily be forgotten.
The time has come ...when the new history... is going to unfold. You can feel the intensity in the air as the... hopes,... dreams, and... hearts of these crowdfunders are about to be put to the ultimate test of skill. What they're after... is the title of Them's Fightin' Herds. Now, ar-ar-are ready to get-get-get it on?"

Actually, the way it seems to work in the trailer, plus the fact that it's not a "hard limit" seems to indicate that it is undizzy (in as much as undizzy is simply tied to a value that each move builds when it hits). As for what happens when the meter is filled up, that could be anything (both games with undizzy have different implementations, Skullgirls gives a burst, MvC2 just forces the defended to drop out of the combo).

Them indicating that it's not undizzy is their words (after the guy brought up specifically undizzy), not mine. I didn't say I didn't think it wasn't undizzy, just that under their wording it maybe doesn't give a free burst or drop out of a combo since it was specifically referenced but said to be "not as harsh" as those. That said, I personally don't know how to get a system to be meaningful if not like those systems, but we'll see.

Okay so First off

Music= GYPSY ROCK BABY OH YEAH~ Some one has been listening to their Gogol Bordello albums.

second off there are pushblocks okay cool *jots down into notes*

When the green (not dizzy) Dizzy bar fills up the opponent flashes red... can the opponent tech out of the combo when they flash? idk...

The magic system from Fighting is Magic is still in place I see.

There are otgs I'm guessing it's like in SG where you onlly get one OTG per combo

There are air techs mmmhh

not sure if I'm missing anything here in the video, but I think these are all good points in Mane6's favor.

The game looks fun. and i'm really liking Velvet with all those ice setups, reminds me of glacius, but i might be wrong, since i don't play KI, yet.

Three things I noticed just now:

- Did you guys see how much hitstun Velvet's horizontal crystal does? It's enough time to freakin' hit with the crystal, jump in from halfway across the screen and confirm into a full combo
- Arizona flashes green after she hits the lasso. Is this an indicator that she can cancel her recovery animation and follow up with something else?
- It looks like what used to be Applejack's follow up to Bionic Farm is now an entirely separate Missile Dropkick super. Either that or you can at least fully confirm into dropkick after hitting the Bionic Farm instead of having to input the follow up immediately after the first super input.

Reactions: juju_for_president
I'm seeing these long combos and I'm hoping that there is a gameplay reason for them, be it resets or something else. Very interested to see how they distinguish themselves from skullgirls.

I'm seeing these long combos and I'm hoping that there is a gameplay reason for them, be it resets or something else. Very interested to see how they distinguish themselves from skullgirls.
It is 1v1, that alone is already a huge difference.

It is 1v1, that alone is already a huge difference.
oh yeah you're totally right didn't even think about that. Still, I see things like push block and undizzy-lite and I think skullgirls. I'm hoping they go in a radical new direction not just from SG but fighters in general, it's always good to see new stuff.

oh yeah you're totally right didn't even think about that. Still, I see things like push block and undizzy-lite and I think skullgirls. I'm hoping they go in a radical new direction not just from SG but fighters in general, it's always good to see new stuff.
I kinda understand what you say, but pushblock and undizzy are things presents in another fighters.

I think that the factor that we have like, quadrupedal animals, is something very unique, even how the hitboxes and buttons interact if you think about it.

Now, i don't know, but this game seems less reset-heavy than skullgirls, maybe the guys want like, neutral, you get the hit, you do the optimal combo, and you go back to neutral, stuff.

For me i can't even make connection between this and skullgirls besides the "is the same engine"