• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Them's Fightin' Herds

maybe the guys want like, neutral, you get the hit, you do the optimal combo, and you go back to neutral, stuff.
I dunno about that.
It looks like Arizona has (cross-up/fake cross-up) safe jumps and overhead/low/throw after landing one of the lassos.

Does Velvet even have a reversal to deal with any of these options on her wake up?

It is 1v1, that alone is already a huge difference.
Because 1v1 is not possible in SG? :^P
I kinda understand what you say, but pushblock and undizzy are things presents in another fighters.
Pushblock is present in the Versus series, Vampire, and SG.
Undizzy is present in MvC2 and SG, and that's all. I guess KI has a variant of it, since KI1 did. Although it's not at all clear what the AKJSDLKJHKJLHKGH bar does from that video.

I do wish they'd replaced the grab sound for that video, though, it sticks out from the rest of their sound design.

Reactions: dead
Well to be fair SG 1 vs 1 got downs eventually while their 1 vs 1 is the traditional multi-round format which influences the pacing. Also seems to have Vampire Sav auto health regen for the recoverable portions while SG doesn't for 1 vs 1 which can also influence the pacing

Their throws look really rough especially the one at the end because I didn't even knew a throw happened at the end.

Very cool post that pulls my heartstrings
Following you just because of this post. Thank you for that throwback!

Edit: For topic relevancy: I do kind of wish they had a demo, if not for anything, to demonstrate how much they've gotten done since their silence. It is better than nothing, and I am fully aware of why they would not want to have aa demo or don't aim to.

Arizona looks neat.

The lack of "definition" on these sprites is really bugging me. They look so flat.

The lack of "definition" on these sprites is really bugging me. They look so flat.

It's an intentional style, powerpuff girls and my little pony are both very flat. The backgrounds are clearly not final though so that should give it more depth.

Undizzy is present in MvC2 and SG, and that's all. I guess KI has a variant of it, since KI1 did. Although it's not at all clear what the AKJSDLKJHKJLHKGH bar does from that video.

The combonation of pushblock, undizzy, and long combos screams skullgirls to me, which is why I want to see how they are going to differentiate themselves. Obviously we wont know for a bit how close it actually is, but that's just my cursory impression.

It's an intentional style, powerpuff girls and my little pony are both very flat. The backgrounds are clearly not final though so that should give it more depth.
I never said anything about the backgrounds, nor did I say it wasn't intentional, I just noticed that they are flat as hell

The difference here is that they're flat but they still have normal maps and they don't have any strong shading that defines light at all? My little pony doesn't even have highlights, and neither does powerpuff girls-- it has shadows in some odd scenes or poses instead

< : ^ |

@Midiman I think they might be using dynamic lighting to do shading for them, I just meant that because the backgrounds are super flat it'll make the sprites look flat too, especially if they haven't implemented the lighting system yet. Who knows.

I mean I didn't see any real "long" combos in that video. Decent, manageable length, but not "long"

I mean I didn't see any real "long" combos in that video. Decent, manageable length, but not "long"
To me long is anything that lasts longer than roughly 5 individual attacks or 3 seconds or something. I'm not disparaging long combos, as long as they serve a greater purpose. Skullgirls has resets, killer instinct has combo breakers, arcsys games have bursts and bursts baits, etc. If a game has long combos but no reason for the combos to be long besides flash, than why not shorten them? Velvet specifically seems to have a lengthy bnb that lasts roughly 10 seconds, which I definitely consider long.

I'm gonna take a guess that the game won't be specifically reset based which is enough to distinguish it from SG, so not sure what else to say there.

Does Velvet even have a reversal to deal with any of these options on her wake up?

The previous versions of the game didn't seem to have anyone have any invincible reversals. Of course, that is something that could very much change.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN IT'S A JUGGLE DECAY BAR

Back in Tribute Edition several characters had invincible reversals or at least (something) that did the job. Twilight had her DP. Applejack's C Applebuck had some invincibility so she could mash out of a few things. Rainbow's 7D was fast and kind of safe so she had that.

Rarity was one of the characters (maybe even the only character) who had NOTHING. She had no invincible reversals that didn't cost meter. Her lvl1 super could be a reversal, but at the range where it's supposed to get you out of setups it WAS PUNISHABLE ON HIT. But as a Rarity player, I actually liked that about her. She had more than enough tools to keep her opponent out and do good damage anywhere on the screen, but if your opponent got in on you, you got mauled. Your opponent deserves to be rewarded for getting in though, and it's your fault for letting your opponent in in the first place.

Last edited:
so yeah all the characters seem to be re-using the gameplay from the ponies from Fighting is Magic... oh well...

and i have given them my 15 bucks... May God speed Mane6... may godspeed

Last edited:
Threw 40 dollars at them. Wish I could have done the palette tier but oh well </3
No Golden Unicorn

Combos are too long. They are 10-15 seconds in the video, and this is PRE-RELEASE.
10-15 is already rather long, and you can be sure that it won't stay at this length if the game actually got released like this -
Vanilla SG combos pre-release were like 5 seconds long; after people had their hands on the game, they quickly turned into 2 minutes.

Rest of the game looks good as far as I can tell
Backgrounds are cute, characters look nice, music is sweet, animations pretty enough, movement seems fine

Reactions: Muro and dead
I'm actually kind of surprised there are only 5 characters. Was pretty sure there were going to be 6. I was actually expecting 6 characters to start with 2 more planned as stretch goals. We'll see what happens

[EDIT] Lauren Faust says they're announcing a 6th character soon

Last edited:
This game better be filled with delicious juicy memes.

Because 1v1 is not possible in SG? :^P

I do wish they'd replaced the grab sound for that video, though, it sticks out from the rest of their sound design.
1v1 is possible, i know (and is my favorite way to play sg honestly), but the game is not only that, they here have room to work on possible 1v1 only stuff. But i don't know really.

The tier that gets you the game for $12 (discounted) has been sold out.

Backer-exclusive palettes, huh

That's totally gonna go over well with everyone
:y
The "TOTALLY NOT PINKIE PIE" Colour is going to be the best for tha Alpaca.

I feel like the combos are too long as well. I haven't been following the project or this thread closely so I'm not sure if they have said there will be any, but unless there are resets I can see the combos definitely becoming annoying.
I'm glad that they are getting lots of funding, though. They've already raised a lot of money for such a short amount of time, which is good for them. I don't think I'll end up playing this when it releases- I really dislike the art and the aesthetic, and I don't like the character designs.

For those wondering about the lack of a beta/alpha tier:

"Sorry about that. We can't guarantee alpha/beta inclusion yet. Our greenlight campaign is going live later today or tomorrow. Once we're assured a spot on steam, we'll be updating our pledge tiers to include beta access as needed."

Reactions: erkicman
RE differentiating it from Skullgirls, TFH is a four-button fighter instead of six-button, so there's that. I think this means it'll be more loop/juggle based (fewer buttons would yield fewer button string combinations). We also don't know what special inputs are like- I recall the FiM inputs being significantly harder to pull off than SG.

I also like the pixellated overworld where animals get into fights for their own and other people's amusement. Vaguely reminiscent of Pokemon.

Also, I'm surprised "Book-obsessed social outcast nerdy magical unicorn" doesn't set off their copyright alerts. I liked the speculation not-Twilight was a goat instead. Come to think of it, a goat character that can stick to the walls and take bites out of the opponent would've been really neat. Goats can climb and eat anything, after all. Oh well. Demon summoning is still cool.

OK, the music is fantastic, looking forward to how they mix up everyone having both a personal theme and fight leadership theme for each stage.

We also don't know what special inputs are like- I recall the FiM inputs being significantly harder to pull off than SG.
The moves were Super Turbo levels of strict, and they did use half-circles for several special move inputs. I really hope to God they move away from Double Half-Circles for supers. That's just... why?

For those wondering about the lack of a beta/alpha tier:

"Sorry about that. We can't guarantee alpha/beta inclusion yet. Our greenlight campaign is going live later today or tomorrow. Once we're assured a spot on steam, we'll be updating our pledge tiers to include beta access as needed."
I'll probably hold off on contributing until this gets figured out.

Reactions: Wenzel and drewski
but unless there are resets I can see the combos definitely becoming annoying.

Every fighting game has resets. I think. At least most fighting games do. I don't know much about those wacky games like IaMP.

The moves were Super Turbo levels of strict, and they did use half-circles for several special move inputs. I really hope to God they move away from Double Half-Circles for supers. That's just... why?

This is one of the cases where I'm concerned if its a deliberate thing or a result of the fightermaker engine. It's known that they weren't capable of accepting two buttons at once as an actual input so there's always the possibility of double motion supers going away. That is of course, unless that was the way mane6 wanted them to be.

The problem I have that's causing me to be super unsure if I want to back is that since there's no demo I can't tell how much of the problems I had with FiM were a result of intentional choices or engine limitations.

Reactions: erkicman
4% funded in one hour.
I can dig it.

An humble question. Do you think that the developers are financing their own creature in order to boost the sales? Half of the money collected right now comes from a grand total of about 20 people (5*250+5*300+6*500+7*1000=12750$).

Nevertheless I have sent them my 12$.

An humble question. Do you think that the developers are financing their own creature in order to boost the sales? Half of the money collected right now comes from a grand total of about 20 people (5*250+5*300+6*500+7*1000=12750$).

I don't see any reason to assume that. Crowdfunding efforts usually get a significant chunk of their total in the first day. I'm sure there were people who were very excited about the project who were counting the minutes until the Indiegogo went live, especially since Mane6 had a countdown timer and everything.

Seems normal, to me. Some people have been following this project for a long time, and have likely been waiting with bated breathe to throw down a hundreds of dollars the moment the campaign went live.

Reactions: Shockdingo
I don't see any reason to assume that. Crowdfunding efforts usually get a significant chunk of their total in the first day. I'm sure there were people who were very excited about the project who were counting the minutes until the Indiegogo went live, especially since Mane6 had a countdown timer and everything.

Seems normal, to me. Some people have been following this project for a long time, and have likely been waiting with bated breathe to throw down a hundreds of dollars the moment the campaign went live.
OK, I have probably underestimated fans. It's just that 1000$ seems really a lot for a video game.

I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the predators. I'd kill for some tooth and claw to balance out the rainbows and daisies.
zptoudzbypi34765dyvn.png

I just want a sonic fox in the game.

btw, THEY KEPT THE THEME FROM THE GAMEPLAY TEASER

Reactions: Ninja and Weeginji