• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Them's Fightin' Herds

mmmmh, me guessing he might pop in sometimes but I don't think he's going to be a major role in helping out the Mane6 Crew

>they're vague on how the combo meter works
>Well, as long as it lets me escape combos, i'll be happy

>only makes it hard to combo after the bar fills
>no bursts or any kind of interaction
>all examples in the video end in a knockdown, leaving the attacker in an advantageous position after a full combo
>super-less combos don't seem to do much damage, so we'll be seeing these combos a LOT
combo haters will hate this. At least combos don't seem to be relatively long, Arizona's air-to-air combo at 0:27 is 5 seconds long and Velvet's counterhit combo at 0:36 lasts 10 seconds including the super (due to multi-hit moves taking up some time)

if i'm not mistaken, it looks like there's delayable roll recover like in blazblue.

well, the combo system didn't turn out exactly as i expected, but it doesn't seem so bad. my only issue with the game so far is how this is really just Fighting is magic: Let's try this again, with exactly the same characters down to most of their animations (even with some of the differences and new specials they supposedly have), but i still like it a lot, and will probably throw enough money for me to grab a copy of the game

Since /mlp/ isn't exactly the pinnacle of theFGC, what are your thoughts on this combo system?

to those wondering the differentiation between this and skullgirls, it would definitely be the resets. The way a lot of SG's moves and the undizzy bar work encourage resets while there's nothing indicating those split-second mindgames in TFH, which imo seems to play a bit more like blazblue

>they're vague on how the combo meter works
>Well, as long as it lets me escape combos, i'll be happy

>only makes it hard to combo after the bar fills
>no bursts or any kind of interaction
>all examples in the video end in a knockdown, leaving the attacker in an advantageous position after a full combo
>super-less combos don't seem to do much damage, so we'll be seeing these combos a LOT
combo haters will hate this. At least combos don't seem to be relatively long, Arizona's air-to-air combo at 0:27 is 5 seconds long and Velvet's counterhit combo at 0:36 lasts 10 seconds including the super (due to multi-hit moves taking up some time)

if i'm not mistaken, it looks like there's delayable roll recover like in blazblue.

well, the combo system didn't turn out exactly as i expected, but it doesn't seem so bad. my only issue with the game so far is how this is really just Fighting is magic: Let's try this again, with exactly the same characters down to most of their animations (even with some of the differences and new specials they supposedly have), but i still like it a lot, and will probably throw enough money for me to grab a copy of the game

Since /mlp/ isn't exactly the pinnacle of theFGC, what are your thoughts on this combo system?

to those wondering the differentiation between this and skullgirls, it would definitely be the resets. The way a lot of SG's moves and the undizzy bar work encourage resets while there's nothing indicating those split-second mindgames in TFH, which imo seems to play a bit more like blazblue
I saw that the combo stage needed to reach stage 2(?)-ish before the deterioration bar even starts filling up. I'm wondering what would happen if it starts filling up at stage 0 and each individual hit does more damage.

After reading some online chatter, I'm getting the distinct impression that 99% of this game's audience doesn't care one bit that it's a fighting game, or what the mechanics are. They're here for the not-ponies.
Skullgirls had plenty of that, too, it just seems more amplified, here.

Reactions: Mr Peck and Wenzel
After reading some online chatter, I'm getting the distinct impression that 99% of this game's audience doesn't care one bit that it's a fighting game, or what the mechanics are. They're here for the not-ponies.
Skullgirls had plenty of that, too, it just seems more amplified, here.

This DEEPLY troubles me. It really does.

tumblr_la3mxkCOOl1qzqvrk.png

you should be worried too. All of you.

Off-topic: Is there any future in licensing out the SG engine or is this an exception?

On-topic: I don't mind the combo lengths so long as the video is a good reflection of time spent at neutral (which seemed ample). That said, as someone else brought up, there is real concern that once the combo-monsters get their hands on it, that combo length could spiral out of control quite quickly.

Edit: @Ninja if it makes you feel better, at least one person on their crew is a fan of the genre. I had the distinct pleasure of being knocked out of the SG beta tournament by Mane6's Nappy. I know that he's also a fan of MBAA which is not a game you get into by accident. I trust their chops... at least more than average. So whether their fans care or not, I think Mane6 is still trying to make a legit fighter.

Reactions: Ninja
If the not-undizzy is well implemented, then combos will not be much longer than that.

But i really want to see what stylish combos can be done when the combo monsters get the hands on this game.

Lots of people, me included, are worried about juggle scaling being the only limiter here. But it's much too hard to judge when there isn't anything to go off of yet with the gameplay. For now, it's worrisome so all we can do is trust and wait till we get our hands on it.

Off-topic: Is there any future in licensing out the SG engine or is this an exception?

I think I saw Mike say before that the engine is up there for people to use, though they'd probably have to pay some licensing fee. It's not like Mane6 got the engine for free, of course.

Reactions: dead
This DEEPLY troubles me. It really does.
Truthfully, I don't really care what the audience wants, I care about what the team's aim is. To me, TFH and SG are two fighting games with opposite primary goals:
  • Skullgirls is a fighting game made by a tourney-level gamer and programmer who built the gameplay engine specifically for it. The fantastic art is a happy and welcome addition to that.
  • Them's Fightin' Herds is a game about capturing the aesthetic and spirit of MLP, and it's primary selling point is the inclusion of MLP creator Lauren Faust... and it also happens to be a fighting game.
I really need to see actual players get their hands on this, before I can really get a sense of what I'm seeing. I'm not a hold-over fan of MLP, I'm here for the game part of this game. I'm willing to fully give myself over if it's good, just like any game.

I don't see how that is very surprising. Majority of casual fans don't really care for the intricate part of the gameplay that much and those that do may just end up dropping the game after playing a week or two so they don't care much for the long-term results. Clearly the primary appeal of this game is Lauren Faust designs + Not MLP fighter.

- Ton of people bought MK9/MKX just for the cinematic story mode/violent aesthetic/"it has scorpion!", etc
- Ton of people bought Arc Sys fighter games [especially Blazblue/Persona] for the VN experience in the story modes and the cute anime girls.
- Ton of people bought Skullgirls just for the animation quality/art style/characters

Speaking of Skullgirls we had our fair share of high roller donators too [even had a 7.5k tier] so it's not surprising people are dropping money fast especially with a hype countdown/plenty of heads up notice to get people to save money.

Well so far they have 630 backers for 42k+ in between 4-5 hours so they are going at a good pace so far. As long as they at least end past the 200k territory after 24 hours passed then they should be at a healthy pace to at least past the initial goal.

About the combo length and comparing to SG. Keep in mind SG used to have very lengthy combos especially once you factored in assists/DHC both which this fighter won't have so I'm not too worried. So far this is looking like the older Blazblue games combo length, but without any of the balancing since this is not even beta footage.

Not gonna donate yet, but I'll throw something sometime during the campaign.

Reactions: dead
OK, I have probably underestimated fans. It's just that 1000$ seems really a lot for a video game.
SG had multiple people who donated a lot more than that; zferolie threw down some $7900 and phantasyiforgethisnick2 like $9400? I forget the exact numbers, but something along those lines

On the topic of combo length, the devs (i.e. the guys playing that demo) had worked on the previous version of the game for quite a while. It's not brand new to them, they've been playing it for, like, two years. I think they've got a pretty reasonable picture for "normal" length combos already. And as long as they've got an Undizzy meter of some kind, they can pretty easily tweak that to make combos shorter (SG's Undizzy started out at like 350 or something before it settled down to 240). I'm not too worried about it. Still, I can understand why some people might be worried.

And as for the really annoyingly specific input detection . . . that was a failing of the Fighter Maker engine they used. As I understand it, there's very little you can do to make the inputs more lenient, since the engine only looks for the exact combination you specify and has a bad habit of ignoring everything else. Hell, the Magic system was invented in the first place because Fighter Maker can't handle simultaneous button inputs unless they're on the exact same frame. Supers needed those obnoxious double quarter circle and half circle inputs, and EX moves needed to have a separate, dedicated button.

SG had multiple people who donated a lot more than that; zferolie threw down some $7900 and phantasyiforgethisnick2 like $9400? I forget the exact numbers, but something along those lines
I knew zferolie donated a lot but I didn't realize it was that much, jesus christ

He also bought pizza for everyone at ECT what a god

I'm not a hold-over fan of MLP, I'm here for the game part of this game. I'm willing to fully give myself over if it's good, just like any game

Agreed 100%. I'll straight up say I don't get the MLP thing, and while this game's aesthetics don't bother me at all, I'm certainly not immediately drawn to them either. I'm all about how it plays out. If it sucks, I won't play it for any reason. If it is great, I'll definitely play it.

That said, just to reiterate, I do have faith. I've played Nappy in other fighters, and the guy seems to know his shit. Whether that translates into a great game or not? Who knows, but I feel like due to him, they've successfully alleviated concerns I would have had otherwise.

On the topic of combo length, the devs (i.e. the guys playing that demo) had worked on the previous version of the game for quite a while. It's not brand new to them, they've been playing it for, like, two years. I think they've got a pretty reasonable picture for "normal" length combos already. And as long as they've got an Undizzy meter of some kind, they can pretty easily tweak that to make combos shorter (SG's Undizzy started out at like 350 or something before it settled down to 240). I'm not too worried about it. Still, I can understand why some people might be worried.

I was one of the people playing in that trailer. We intentionally wanted to keep the combo length kinda neutral in the video since the game is a work in progress. There's many combos possible in the current version of the game that we haven't shown that we already intend on reigning in a bit. How much reigning will be done? I can't say for certain, but we definitely have a series of mechanics intended to limit combo length other than juggle decay.

This is one of the cases where I'm concerned if its a deliberate thing or a result of the fightermaker engine. It's known that they weren't capable of accepting two buttons at once as an actual input so there's always the possibility of double motion supers going away. That is of course, unless that was the way mane6 wanted them to be.

The problem I have that's causing me to be super unsure if I want to back is that since there's no demo I can't tell how much of the problems I had with FiM were a result of intentional choices or engine limitations.

We always wanted to be able to use two buttons at once right from the start, but it was a limitation of Fighter Maker (more specifically, Fighter Maker interacting with certain brands of keyboards that have a ghosting issue. Which, since this is a PC game first and foremost, matters). We already have inputs with two simultaneous button presses in-game, thanks to Z-Engine. Currently, we also don't have any double quarter circle inputs in the game, but everything is subject to change.

zu0IlgV.png

j4LBQrR.png
Nice! was wondering how Velvet avoided Not-Gigan Arm

Currently, we also don't have any double quarter circle inputs in the game, but everything is subject to change.
As long as we can have shortcuts (like 2626 for double qcf and 62(1)4 for hcb, though 6314 would be nice to since that's all i seem to get on the keys) i'll be happy.
double half circles are too much though

Now I'm definitely glad I secured a purple palette for Arizona. I'd have missed it if I didn't wake up early.

Reactions: drewski
But it's not neutral, it's mega long ;_;

The ones in that video actually seem less long than a lot of SG, Xrd, P4AU, and BB combos. Hell, they don't seem that much longer than a punish combo from Mileena or Sakura.

That they can get longer though... that's potentially quite troublesome. Here's to hoping that they disincentivized for things like resets or HDK.

Some anonymous fellow just donated $5000.

Campaign shoutout on Equestria Daily roughly 15 min ago for more brony money. I actually wonder how much social media/online news this campaign will get. Don't really see fighter sites covering it and only saw Siliconera post an article about the approaching campaign awhile back. Skullgirls had a ton of coverage throughout their campaign on multiple sites + lot of word of mouth.

[EDIT] Lauren Faust says they're announcing a 6th character soon
My guess is the last one is the boss character and it's got wings or something so they can re use the 6th moveset.

I was one of the people playing in that trailer. We intentionally wanted to keep the combo length kinda neutral in the video since the game is a work in progress. There's many combos possible in the current version of the game that we haven't shown that we already intend on reigning in a bit. How much reigning will be done? I can't say for certain, but we definitely have a series of mechanics intended to limit combo length other than juggle decay.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing how you do this. 10 seconds for a bnb is way too long for me, 5 seconds is about the max I would want to see if the game doesn't have a focus resets or combo breakers. I would advise against bursts, they're a bandaid not a cure.

@Mike_Z are you helping has a consultar of the game or give Mane6 feedback? im curious.
Nosir. At least not that I know of. :^P I've given them engine help, "How do we do this?" type things, but that's it.

Every fighting game has resets. I think. At least most fighting games do. I don't know much about those wacky games like IaMP.
Every fighting game has the ability to drop combos and try to hit them again, yes.
However, if there are recovery options that move your character or provide invincibility, or if the victim can choose when to recover, resets become much less useful/practical to the point of not really being important. The longer the victim can be invincible on recovery, the farther they can move, or the less predictable they can make their recovery position, the less useful resets are.
And if you can kill the other person in one hit, resets are also not useful (see MvC3, which also has directional invincible air recovery).

Last edited:
Campaign shoutout on Equestria Daily roughly 15 min ago for more brony money. I actually wonder how much social media/online news this campaign will get. Don't really see fighter sites covering it and only saw Siliconera post an article about the approaching campaign awhile back. Skullgirls had a ton of coverage throughout their campaign on multiple sites + lot of word of mouth.

I'm seeing something on /r/fighter, and I'd guess other sites have a similar thread to this one. But it is conspicuously absent from Shoryuken's news page. That said, it is theme driven, so money will likely come from weird places.

Please, sweet merciful Jesus in Heaven.
Don't let the bronies ruin this.
I want to like the setting and game
Dude, this is a game for bronys lol
It's funny because a lot of people are actually dismissing the game for NOT being about ponies anymore. at least that's how it is on /mlp/ right now. EQD just loves faust

Reactions: Wenzel
Note: I saw a tweet from Iantothemax that he recently completed an interview with Mane6, so count on an article showing up on SRK soon

From reading the lore bits on the IGG page, the story actually seems pretty interesting:
Long ago, all the creatures Fœnum lived in adherence to the natural order of existence, the Circle of Life. Dissatisfied with their place in that system, however, the insidious Perissodactyla began to study dark and terrible magic in order to one day usurp the lawful Carnivora. When the time was right, the Perissodactyla harnessed the fearsome power of the forbidden arts to banish the Carnivora to a faraway magical realm, sealing them in shadow for all time... or so they thought.

Now, the bravest warriors of the Carnivora have pushed through the veil separating the two realms, and must battle through hordes of hoofed fiends in order to restore the balance of nature, and re-establish the Circle Of Life.
:PUJNA:

Every fighting game has the ability to drop combos and try to hit them again, yes.
However, if there are recovery options that move your character or provide invincibility, or if the victim can choose when to recover, resets become much less useful/practical to the point of not really being important. The longer the victim can be invincible on recovery, the farther they can move, or the less predictable they can make their recovery position, the less useful resets are.
And if you can kill the other person in one hit, resets are also not useful (see MvC3, which also has directional invincible air recovery).

Yup, that's true. I should have addressed what they were implying with the question rather than what they literally said.

We are trying to be mindful about how the reset game is designed. We'd like resets to be viable and relatively strong, while still recognizing that if they're TOO strong, we could potentially end up with a frustrating vortex game with a series of endless mix-ups, similar to the problem that SF4 had. We currently have a ground and air tech system similar to BlazBlue, with set animations for forward, back, and neutral techs. However, we also have a few moves that, in the current build of the game, end with a hard knockdown. While it's possible to reset someone off of any random combo drop, it's obviously much stronger to end your combo with a hard knockdown and set something up on their wakeup. Whether or not the reset game is stronger than the combo game remains to be seen, as damage values and scaling are still something that's placeholder as we build the basics of the game.

So I never expected Eventhubs to post an article before SRK, but LOL the article (anonymous tipsters who didn't want their names attached to this thing? Really?) and LMAO the comments (apparently this is a SG community vs. TFH community thing now?)

Last edited:
We are trying to be mindful about how the reset game is designed. We'd like resets to be viable and relatively strong, while still recognizing that if they're TOO strong, we could potentially end up with a frustrating vortex game with a series of endless mix-ups

shoutouts to Skullgirls

Reactions: fenster and Kai
So I never expected Eventhubs to post an article before SRK, but LOL the article (anonymous tipsters who didn'the want their names attached to this thing? Really?) and LMAO the comments (apparently this is a SG community vs. TFH community thing now?)
FGC is a loosely-defined, openly-hostile fraternal order, whereas the MLP fandom is, like... the complete opposite. I'm not saying the hostility is justified, but if anyone thought a rebooted MLP fighter was going to receive favorable treatment in the FGC, they need to sit out on the porch and with some ice tea and think on that a little longer.

I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the predators. I'd kill for some tooth and claw to balance out the rainbows and daisies.
zptoudzbypi34765dyvn.png
Ditto, I'm curious about their leader and the lore already has got me hooked. I kind of want this to be some sort of mega hit so they can actually craft a sequel or dare I say, show? It'd be nice to see the somewhat darker aspects of the lore and have more of an adventure theme than MLP.

So I never expected Eventhubs to post an article before SRK, but LOL the article (anonymous tipsters who didn'the want their names attached to this thing? Really?) and LMAO the comments (apparently this is a SG community vs. TFH community thing now?)
Yeah do yourself a favor and don't read the comments. You will save a few brain cells. At least that is another site that is spreading awareness which means more potential backers.

Reactions: Kai
Yeah, but at least SRK more often is more in-depth with their articles even if they are usually slower. They actually have an exclusive interview in this case. Ehubs staff in their comments meanwhile is treating the article as a joke that probably just only got posted because a bunch of people spammed them with the tips.

Edit: Anyway past 7 hours and we are at 62.5k with 900+ backers so far.

Reactions: erkicman and Kai
"Game looks like SkullGirls with horses." -AJ / Mixah via SRK Comments 12 minutes ago.

I'm crying...