• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Too much moderation?

On a side note: The Gameplay General forum has waaaaaaaay too many stickies.

It doesn't have enough that are actually useful.

Reactions: POS Industries
I'm fine with how the forum is currently being moderated. I much prefer the Skullgirls fandom having standards.

We need one person to lead the effort
Serious talk, do you want this to be you? If so, we can arrange some stuff. If not, it's probably not going to be one of the mods that takes on the responsibility.

Serious talk, do you want this to be you? If so, we can arrange some stuff. If not, it's probably not going to be one of the mods that takes on the responsibility.
Hm, I'm not sure what that would look like.

I can't contribute to all the characters but I could probably organize what needs to be collected and put things in the right place.
I'd be willing to try my best though!

We need a temporary place to put information that needs to be added to the database, then I can move it to the right place and check it off the list.
In the end we'll have combos, resets, burst baits and all the information we need in one place to link to new players and help prevent repeat threads on 'How to do X' but we can still have discussion on new tech and routes elsewhere.

Okay here I brainstormed for a bit.
Sorry for my messy writing it's awkward writing on that thing.

IMG_1378.JPG

How does this look? @Vadsamoht @Cellsai @mcpeanuts (Your big band thing is great) @dekillsage @IsaVulpes @Mike_Z (sry)

@Skarmand I like your sections on Combos/Resets/Baits/Gameplay/Teamplay. I do have 1 thing. Kind of the way I tried to set up the Big Band compendium was like, I was very careful to not write it like it was a tutorial. Instead I just tried to put in facts, e.g. here is this move, it has these properties, these are the things about it you will want to know. For the character specific sections I tried not to offer advice on how to play the matchup but to have things more like, if Big Band does X and the other character does Y, Z will happen, things of that nature that someone learning the character would want to know.

So, I don't know if that's the way you wanna go in general. Splitting it up the way you did I think is better for tutorials. For a general collection of information about the character I think rather than having a section on neutral I would rather list all the moves that character has and what their properties are. It is probably more helpful to new players to know which moves are the most important, so maybe put a star on those or bold them or something, but I like to at least have everything so anyone who wants to know can be like "man what would I ever use THIS move for".

If we're talking neat guides, I'd like to see the Shoryuken Wiki's SG character pages updated to have move information laid out something like this. Dustloop's move-breakdown pages are pretty much the best.

Reactions: FuLLBLeeD
@Skarmand For the character specific sections I tried not to offer advice on how to play the matchup but to have things more like, if Big Band does X and the other character does Y, Z will happen, things of that nature that someone learning the character would want to know..
No no I totally agree with you.
Match up information can be more subjective and subject to change so it's better to leave that for alive discussions rather than an information database. Simple enough to work with though and I can keep most of those sections with a few tweaks.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I really REALLY believe that SH should sticky all it's beginner resources somewhere that can be seen from the front of the forums, maybe on the toolbar next to "Official Site" except it should be highlighted or something and be labeled "Beginner's Hub" or something that has links to all the known character and general guides.

Also just a personal wish but I hope people step up and make guides of characters that don't have one already. It doesn't need to be super in depth but a primer would be fine. There exists a google doc with basic Double information but it's a mess of info and not really complete.

If no one does one of Filia/Double then I will do it myself but don't hold your breath because I don't think I'm good enough with either to put down some solid information. So if I do make one it probably won't be this year.

I'm actually thinking of making a Valentine quick start infograph type thing if I get around to it/nail down what a complete beginner nee

Best I can figure is made a sticky thread in the beginner forum that links to useful resources and threads.

On a side note: The Gameplay General forum has waaaaaaaay too many stickies.
Yeah, I know. I'll definitely trim it eventually.

If I were to organize this into table of contents.

I. Intro to X (Your about this character)
II. Normals, Specials, Supers and their uses
III. Confirms and Combos
III a. Resets
III b. Baits
IV. Team Notes (Your team play bubble)
V. Match Ups/Advance Advice
VI. Notable Players + Match Vids

Really just look at how Zid, Ashxu or McPeanuts laid their compendiums/guides.

Last edited:
I like your flowchart @Skarmand ! That's awesome and a great example of what would be helpful in stickied threads.

The bigger project is going to be coming up with an Ultimate Beginners Guide Compendium, though. I'm really interested in how people with a lot more game knowledge then myself think that should be laid out.

I'm really interested in how people with a lot more game knowledge then myself think that should be laid out.
I'm of the opinion that you should explain things to the player as they would be noticed by picking up the game, and then branch out into the other mechanics as they naturally appear in your explanation. I've spoiler'd bellow the rough draft of that video script I mentioned earlier. It's long, just so you know. Only look if you're really bored and have time to waste.

*Show Title Screen/Mrs.Victoria Blackboard shot*

Hello, and welcome to Skullgirls. Today we're going to be covering the general mechanics of Skullgirls. This video is designed to make sure that you get into the game without missing vital pieces of information, and should all around make your experience more enjoyable.

*Fade to team size select screen, hover over Solo for P1 and Trio for P2*

Skullgirls is a team based game. Players are allowed play as one, two, or three characters.

*Show the chart over the previous screen*

If you play as a single character you do 150% damage and have 205% health, if you're playing two characters you do 130% damage and 115% health, and if you're playing three characters than you have 100% health and damage. If two solo teams fight eachother then the both have trio stats, if two duo teams fight eachother than they have trio stats, and if two trio teams fight then they all have duo stats.

*Pick v2 and Cerebella for P1 and go to assist screen*

If you use a team, you'll gain access to assists. There are two previously set assists that you can use, but if you move to the third option you'll be able to have a custom assist. Any normal or special that your character can preform except for ones done in the air can be used as an assist. Input the motion here to get that move as your assist.

*Fade to Training mode room stage, Cerebella/Peacock P1 and Filia/Ms.Fortune P2, known hencforth as scene 1*

In order to call out your assist, hit lp/mk or lk/mp for assist one and hk/mp or hp/mk for assist 2. There's a little red and green light underneath your health bar, if the green one is lit you are able to call your assist, but if the red one is lit you are not.

*show Filia and Cerebella tag out to their second character, and then tage back to Cerebella and Filia*

You can also tag out with your other characters. To do this, hit both mp and mk for tag 1, and hp and hk for tag 2. Tag 2 brings out your third character, if you have one.

*show assist and point character getting hit by Cerebella's Titan Knuckle, then leave the screen there, don't repeat*

While your assist is out it can be hit, and it takes 135% of the damage that your point character would have takes, so be careful. You'll also notice there there's red on the health bar. This is known as recoverable health. When an assist takes damage, it's done as 100% red health. As long as a character is not on the field, they will start to regain their red health.

*Repeat last scene, but have Fortune tag in right away*

If a character with red health tags in, however, they lose all of their red health.

*show scene 1*

Skullgirls is a 6 button Fighter, with Light, Medium, and Heavy strength variations for punches and kicks. Skullgirls' combo system revolves around chains rather than links, so combos will be relatively easy.

*show Filia going down the chain of normals*

The way combos chain into eachother goes in order, with Light punch, being the first in the chain, then going down to light kick, medium punch, medium kick, heavy punch, and then heavy kick. This is the order, but attacks that whiff cannot chain into the next attack in the chain.

*show a scene cut in three sections, one Parasoul, another Squigly, and the last Cerebella attacking Filia with their light punch, then light kick*

Even so, not all characters can chain a light punch into light kick

*show a scene cut in four sections of Squigly, Parasoul, Painwheel, Cerebella doing their medium punch, and then medium kick*

Or even chain a medium punch into their medium kick.

*show Peacock doing a crouching combo, c.hp, c.hk, and then c.lp, c.lk, c.mp, c.mk, c.hp, c.hk*

And fewer still are cancel heavy punch into heavy kick, or follow the chain through from beginning to end.

*show a scene cut into three stationary characters, Cerebella, Squigly, Peacock. They jump and do their hp and hk attacks at the "but some" cue.*

As far as jumping buttons, the string goes in the same order, but most characters can go through the entire chain line, but some are limited to either hp or hk at the end of an air chain.

*Show scene 1*

Now, this game also has Reaction Shots - or - Pushblocking.

*Cerebella dashing up with c.lk, c.mp, s.hp while Filia blocks and then pushes c.mp. Repeat this clip two or three times *

When you are blocking an attack, you are allowed to push the attacker away. This techinique is done by pushing two punches at the same time while you are blocking. This helps you get out of pressure and gives you breathing room.

*Switch to Filia running up and attacking with c.lk, c.mk, with Bella trying to push away the c.mk. two or three times*

However, if your opponent is attacking you with a multi-hitting move, like Filia's crouching Medium Kick, this will negate your Reaction Shot and allow your opponent to continue attacking.

*show the same scene, but have Bella push on the last hit of c.mk*

Avoid this by waiting until the end of a multi-hitting moves attacks to push.

*Show scene 1*

There is also dashing. By double tapping forward or backwards, or by pressing two punches while holding forward or backwards, you can dash.

*Show scene cut into 4, Filia, Peacock, Fortune, Valentine*

Some characters can even dash in the air. These characters are also allowed to dash in the middle of doing attacks, so you can start a chain, dash, and then start a second chain without touching the ground. Each character only gets one air dash per jump.

*Show closeup of characters meter gauge*

There are also techniques which require meter. This is the Tension Meter. As this builds, your characters are able to preform special techniques called Blockbusters - or - Supers. Most Blockbusters cost 1 meter, but some cost 2 or 3, and some characters can even use all 5 meters on one giant attack.

*Show scene 1*

To do a blockbuster, simply do the motion described in the moves list and then either two punches or two kicks.

*show Cerebella go into Diamond Dynamo*

Cerebella's Diamond Dynamo, for example, is qcf plus two punches. qcb and qcf are the most common super motions in this game.

*show Filia go into lvl 3*

qcb and two punches is reserved for everyone's level 3 super. This way you can never get confused or be uncertain as to what your character's high lvl super is.

*Show scene 1*

There are also other ways for you to use your Tension, other than doing a Blockbuster with the character you have out.

*Show Cerebella do Dynamo, then DHC into Argus Agony at the end*

The first and easiest is to DHC into another character's Blockbuster. To do this, during your first character's Blockbuster, while the screen is still dark, input the motion for your second characters super. They will switch places and your next character will finish the combo.

*Show Filia doing Gregor, then DHCing into Fifth of Dismember*

Another important thing to know about DHC's is that when you DHC into a super that costs more than one meter, the total cost of the incoming super is reduced by one. So if you use a lvl 1 super to DHC into a level 3 super, it all together costs only 3 meters.

*show Cerebella doing lvl 3 DHC'd to Argus*

If you DHC from a lvl 3 into a lvl 1, hoever, the total cost is 4 meters. It only reduces the incoming super by one to a minimum of one.

*Show Peacock running up and doing a snapback, followed by Ms.Fortune doing one, followed by Cerebella doing one*

Another way you can use meter is for an Outtake - or - Snapback. As you can see, these allow you to forcefully switch in your opponents next character. Every character can do this technique, and it costs one bar of meter. To Outtake, do qcf and mp/mk to bring in their second character or hp/hk to bring in their third.

*Show Filia attacking with hk hairball and Cerebella Alpha Countering, then Peacock doing c.hk and Filia Alpha Countering into Fortune slide*

The last way for you to use meter is to preform a (Stunt Double - or - )Alpha Counter. This technique is done by blocking, and then hitting forward and using the button you normally use to tag out. This costs one meter.

*show scene 1*

Next we'll talk about grabbing. Grabs in this game are easy, just hit light punch and light kick at the same time. This goes for all grabs, not just regular ones. Whereas in other games a character's command grab may be 360 and punch, a Skullgirls command grab would look more like qcf light punch plus light kick.

*show Cerebella land Diamond Drop*

All command grabs in the game are qcf, or qcb, or srk and grab. The only grab in the game that requiers a 360 is Cerebella's Ultimate Showstopper, a super.

*Show Cerebella doing 360's*

This game also has 360 jump protection. This means that if you are using a character who needs 360's, and you are doing them, the game recognizes that and doesn't force you to jump. You can easily jump if you want to by just holding up, but this makes doing 360s much easier.

*show scene 1*

This game also has Ground Recovery - or - Tech Rolls.

*show Filia do dash up s.hp, j.hk on Bella (ground recovery turned on)*

Whenever a player is knocked to the ground, that player can hold either forward or backwards and hit any button. When they do, they will roll in that direction.

*show Filia's c.hk hitting Bella*

All crouching heavy kicks are sweeps, and all instantly allow the player to roll.

*Show Cerebella's Titan Knuckle hitting Filia*

But there are even moves and situations that can take away your opponents option to tech roll altogether, so watch for them.

*Show scene 1*

Skullgirls also has a special method of inputing qcf's to make sure you always get qcf instead of maybe a srk.

*Show Cerebella dashing forward and whiffing Excelebella*

For example, if you tried to dash forward and then do Diamond Drop, you may accidentally input srk instead of qcf.

*show Cerebella dashing forward and doing Diamond Drop*

To do this, do a halfcircle forward and then the button for the attack you want to do. Doing a hcf tells Skullgirls that you wanted qcf, and you'll always get it in this case. This should help a lot to cut down on accidental inputs.

*Show split screen with Double and Big Band*

Next up is Weight Classes. There are three different weights in Skullgirls. The first is Heavy Weight, which consists of Double and Big Band.

*Show Cerebella and Parasoul*

The second weight class is Medium Weight, which consists of only Parasoul and Cerebella right now.

*show split screen, this time cut into 3 collumns with 2 rows, with all the other characters in each one*

The third and final weight is Light Weight, consisting of most of the cast.

*Show a split 3 screen, with Cerebella doing the same combo to Double on the right, Parasoul in the middle, and Filia on the right*

As you can see, not every combo or reset you'll try will work the same on everyone, so be sure to test thuroughly.

*show scene 1*

Now then, there's the OTG state.

*Cerebella runs up and does c.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, c.hp, j.mk, j.hk, c.lp*

Each character only gets one OTG per combo. If you try and use a second one, your opponent will instantly be able to recover.

*show same scene 50% speed*

If you look under the character as they hit the ground, you'll see a flash of color. Red is a normal OTG state, and can be comboed from. The next time you knock them down, the OTG will be blue. This color signifies that they can recover, and can no longer be comboed if the opponent rolls.

*show Filia c.hk clip again*

If you'll look closely, after sweeps the color is always blue, and this means you can never combo after one.

*show filia hitting Cerebella with Napalm Pillar assist at 50% speed*

There are also green bounces, which only happen after an assist uses a move that knocks down. If it normally would have been a red bounce if the point character, it becomes green. Green bounces allow the opponent to tech roll much faster than red bounces will.

*show filia doing s.hp, j.lk, j.hk, s.hp*

Another thing to note is that the first attack you do as an OTG always has the same hit properties. This means that moves that normally launch will not, and even a sweep will not sweep.

*show filia doing s.hp, j.lk, j.hk, outtake*

The only exception is an Outtake, which will always snap a character out if it hits them, regardless of their state.

*Show scene 1, then do random Cerebella combo*

This game also has combo scaling. Combo scaling reduces the power of every attack done to a certain point. You don't need to know specifics, but after 14 hits your attacks are doing the lowest damage they'll ever do. When scaled all the way, attacks only do 20% of their max damage, but any attack that does more than 1000 does 27.5% damage at the end.

*Show scene 1, do random Cerebella combo after Peacock's s.hp*

There are also some moves that affect your damage scaling. If you hit with an assist, your damage scaling automatically goes to 66%. This means that after 11 hits your attacks do the least they'll ever do.

*show Cerebella using MGR*

After grabs, the combo is scaled to 50%. This means that after 9 hits your combo has reached the scalling limit.

*show scene 1*

The biggest mechanic in Skullgirls is the Infinite Protection System, or IPS. The way the system works is that there are combo stages 1 through 5. When your combo stage reaches 3, the game starts recording every attack you do. This stage is known as "Watched". Standing and crouching attacks are counted the same, jumping attacks are counted as well, and specials are counted. Specials that share the same motion but use a different strength button are counted the same. Once your combo stage reaches Stage 5, IPS will activate if you start a chain using any move you have already used in that combo.

*show Filia do a j.hp*

The jump in attack you do is stage 1.

*show Filia do j.hp, c.lk, s.hp*

The ground combo is considered stage 2.

*j.hp, c.lk, s.hp, j.lk, j.hk*

The air combo you do is considered stage 3.

*j.hp, c.lk, s.hp, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk, s.hp, j.lk*

Everything after that is considered stage 5, and will activate IPS sparks, allowing your opponent to burst.

*show Filia doing j.hp, IAD, j.hp, c.lk, s.hp*

If you air dash from your jump in attack and do another air attack, the game will move you ahead a combo stage, so the game will watch your first ground chain as well.

*show Filia doing j.hp, c.lk, s.hp, j.lk, IAD, j.lk, j.hk, c.lk*

Stage 4 is only used if you air dash and attack during stage 3. It acts the same as Stage 4, but it's only purpose is allowing you an extra air chain before stage 5.

*j.hp, IAD, j.hp, c.lk, s.hp, j.lk, IAD, j.lk*

However, if you Air dashed your first jumping attack, you don't get a stage 4 and if you try and dash again after launching them you'll be in stage 5 already.

*show scene 1, go into Undizzy-inducing Cerebella combo*

The final mechanic in Skullgirls that we're going to address today is Drama - or - Undizzy. Drama is much like IPS, but it tracks different things. Every light attack you do is worth 15 Drama, every Medium attack and special is worth 20 Drama, and every heavy attack is worth 30 Drama. After you hit stage 3, it starts adding up. When it hits the limit, the next chain you start will activate green sparks and the opponent can burst just like with IPS.

*Show scene 1, counterhit off of j.hp with Filia*

There are also Counter Hits, known by the red flash shown on the character who got hit. If you get a counter hit, it reduces the amount of Drama you have. The Drama is reduced by 25, 50, and 100 for Light, Medium, and Heavy attacks respectively. Counter hit throws reduce the Drama by 50, and assists reduce it by 25. This can give you negative Drama, so you can effectively lengthen your combos with this.

PLAYING AT TOURNAMENTS

*Fade to character select, hit start and config buttons*

If you are planning to play Skullgirls at a tournament, or even just go out and play a bunch of people at a local gathering, you should know that Skullgirls has a button select at the character select screen. Here, you hit start and can set all of your buttons. This is helpful when going over to a friends house to play, or when going to a tournament.

*Versus menu, highlight Tournament mode*

Skullgirls has a tournament mode. This mode, like it's name suggests, is designed to be used at tournaments. It has two main features, the first being that it unlocks any locked colors for use, though this does not include DLC colors that aren't on the system. The second important thing to know is that when playing a match, after you disconnect your controller or arcade stick, you will be sent back to the controller select screen. This means that the next people get to play faster, and it's an all around smoother experience.

*Show scene 1, hold start*

The last important tournament feature is the accidental-pause-prevention-system. This system prevents players from accidentally hitting pause in the middle of match. This is done by forcing a (x frames) of holding down the pause button before it actually pauses.

There's more I want to add to it now. All this talk has me all enthusiastic and whatnot. And looking through this draft, I see some big flaws in the way info is presented and how I flat out skip things.

Maybe I really should get on this. I could split it into three videos, too. First vid would be basic and general information, just the things people need to know before even picking the game up. Second would be about more specific mechanics, and would briefly cover each character's mechanics (Noise Cancel, Sound Stun, Hatred Guard, Fly, Head On/Off, Super/Hyper Armor) and character specifics to help deal with them (Peacock's projectile patterns (only two bombs, area item drop covers, can't teleport behind while holding an item, etc), Command Grabs, Command Normals/Specials that hit overhead/low or crossup, Double's dust trail during Car). Third vid would cover all the most advanced mechanics, like PBGC and Alpha Counters and IPS and Undizzy and all that other junk.

Reactions: FuLLBLeeD
Yeah, nobody who plays the game opens the OT.
The idea was to have a thread for the dekillsage/blaise/bloop/bonk/beep people in somewhere Gameplay.

woooooooooooooooooow deadass putting me on blast

A "serious" tag or a "goof off here" thread won't make the situation any better in the long run, I don't think.

^

Yeah, it's not like it'll keep the jokes out of the serious threads.

Also I'll give my honest 2cents about this. I'm not really sure why the mods here hide/delete post or threads in response. Usually a warning post in the thread, then if off-topic discussion continues, lock the thread and hand out the infraction points. This is one of the few community forums I see that straight up deletes post and threads just cause jokes/trolling are getting out of hand. Just lock the thread, let it die, then people can be like welp, they warned us.

Thread tags are cool, but you don't need "goof off" tags lmao wtf is that.

We don't. We'll lock a thread if it's no longer worth saving, but we don't delete them. We do delete threads that serve no purpose from the outset.

Reactions: Number 13 and Dime
We don't. We'll lock a thread if it's no longer worth saving, but we don't delete them. We do delete threads that serve no purpose from the outset.

I disagree that deleting post in the threads is the best method of "saving," a thread though.

can the guys that have knowledge agree that we make a guide on all the characters and put it stickied in the beginner's section? and maybe put a "flyer" on the home page like a headline saying "Welcome to Skullheart. if you got questions about this character, Please click here."? if not then continue to bicker about stuff and have @Dime_x put people on ignore (i'm surprised i wasn't put on there.).

Not complaining, but for once i kinda want to be productive to this forum.

Threads are not getting locked because a few people went off topic. I agree there should be an initial warning but if no mod is around, it's not possible to do.

And don't post in threads to say the thread is dumb/bad. That's annoying and unnecessary and discouraging. Just don't post in them and let them die.

Reactions: Sydoh
Enough with the silly internet arguments here. There is a difference between rational thoughtful debating (which we perfectly allow) and straight up ignorant shit posting (violates forum rules if people read actually them before making their first post). If both parties still want to fling gorilla dung at each other then take it to the PM or in some other social outlet. Don't shit up a thread with that kind of nonsense where other members/guests viewing the thread don't want to be apart of.

Also I'll give my honest 2cents about this. I'm not really sure why the mods here hide/delete post or threads in response. Usually a warning post in the thread, then if off-topic discussion continues, lock the thread and hand out the infraction points. This is one of the few community forums I see that straight up deletes post and threads just cause jokes/trolling are getting out of hand. Just lock the thread, let it die, then people can be like welp, they warned us.
Well the "why" part is easy. Forum rules were violated and it's up to each moderator's discretion to respond appropriately. Depending on the situation that can lead to a fair warning reminder post (which happens often in problematic threads), editing a portion of the problematic post, or simply deleting the problematic post because the whole thing was a contributing factor towards derailment/flaming/etc which occurs way more then I would like it to.

The reason why the above actions happen is not to blatantly censor the participating members discriminately, but because (usually due to complaints from other members) the problematic postings act as a deterrent from on topic conversations and moderation is usually required with whatever tools they have to herd the conversation back on track that is expected from the OP topic of X thread.

- First off we rarely ever "delete" entire threads. You would have to be either a spam bot, an OP poster of x thread requesting a thread delete by moderation, or make a thread with an OP that is begging for moderation action like a blatant flaming OP or something along those lines.

- Second we don't "lock" entire threads "to let it die" every time there are those two guys that act like an asshat with each other. That wouldn't be fair to the other members/guests watching the thread that just want the thread to stay on track for legitimate conversations. Locking is literally a last resort tool if warnings and continued deletions with numerous members don't seem to be working.

Sometimes locks are not even permanent and reopened after careful consideration just for it to be swiftly locked again reinforcing the idea that locking the thread was the correct choice. Locking also happens if the thread OP doesn't promote any discussion at all and becomes a venting area. Usually those kind of locks could have been avoided easily if the thread OP was reworded to promote positive discussion and not just rant meaningless babble.

- Next I don't see how it is our concern what other community sites decide to handle their moderation policies. My personal opinion is the ones I frequent regularly don't enforce threads enough and I consider our current policies have hit a fair enough equilibrium since we regularly receive PM of praise from other members for cleaning up threads and bringing them back on topic fairly swiftly. Moderation reform should not happen because "well x site handles y stuff like this so we need to be like them" reasonings.

- Lastly again about the "joke"/"troll"/whatever-you-want-to-call-it posts they are not an issue as long as x member doesn't get ahead of themselves and blows out of proportion to the point where it bloats the thread with continued nonsense. We are not saying "no fun allowed" despite some people regularly posting that image whenever moderation decides to step in. All we are saying is don't have your "fun" be at the expense of contributing to the derailment of a thread which often is the case. I apologize if a few people disagree with how moderation handles the upkeep of the forum, but we are expecting a certain standard to be respected for the benefit of the entire user-base.

Have a nice day everyone.

Reactions: Sydoh and Funbun
Oh, you don't have to care how other sites handle their moderation, I was just saying it's odd to me how it's handled here and I'm sure other members here have similar feelings.

I feel like that's the idea of a warning without post deletion first, instead of going right to post deletion. Going straight to deleting the post gives the wrong message. It feels more like censorship if it's done that way, whether that was the intent or not.

I was more so asking why moderation handles it the way it does, not why do they moderate. Deleting post first off seems like an extreme first response to me.

I understand not wanting to lock a good thread, but if it's a good thread it usually hasn't been derailed or is even going to become derailed. I feel the moderation here sometimes jumps the gun early in fear of a "slippery slope." Slippery slope meaning if one post is possibly derailing a thread, then the whole thread will follow suite.

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
I think that maybe instead of deleting posts we should usually just make a public warning text visible to all users on their post, that way it dosnt feel like we are "censoring" stuff and that other users can see what is a bad post or not unless it is a really bad post thing

Reactions: b0nk
My very first thread I posted on here for one of my YouTube videos was locked about 4 hours after I made it. When I sent out a message asking why, no one even got back to me. It was unlocked 24 hours later, but at that point the thread was officially dead.

I don't have really anything against the majority of the people on this website, but ever since that locking incident, I really don't have a super incentive to post much more stuff here.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I think you guys are just jerks. Just listen to the mods and you'll be fine >_>

Oh, you don't have to care how other sites handle their moderation, I was just saying it's odd to me how it's handled here and I'm sure other members here have similar feelings.

I feel like that's the idea of a warning without post deletion first, instead of going right to post deletion. Going straight to deleting the post gives the wrong message. It feels more like censorship if it's done that way, whether that was the intent or not.

I was more so asking why moderation handles it the way it does, not why do they moderate. Deleting post first off seems like an extreme first response to me.

I understand not wanting to lock a good thread, but if it's a good thread it usually hasn't been derailed or is even going to become derailed. I feel the moderation here sometimes jumps the gun early in fear of a "slippery slope." Slippery slope meaning if one post is possibly derailing a thread, then the whole thread will follow suite.

I don't see the need to have to say something along the lines of "hey guys if you don't cut it out your posts will get deleted....k thanks" as a form of preemptive warning to threads. The Forum Rules is that preemptive warning that users are encouraged to read after signing up. It is not moderation responsibility if members neglect that notion. If moderation does give further warning posts as courtesy to members then that is up to individual discretion not an expectation that moderation is forced to follow. Moderation might not even be online when a thread goes to hell and by the time they arrive it's far past the "kindly warn them" phase.

Whether or not deletions is interpreted as blatant censoring is up to individual perspective. Reasons were already given why that is not the case so you can only accept or deny those reasonings. Also we don't "jump the gun" on deletions every time we see a potential problem. Otherwise waaaaay more posts would have been deleted to the point of moderation being obnoxious about it if that was the case . Why do you think problematic threads tend to blow up with derailment inducing posts before moderation interferes (which continued for at least an additional 8-10 posts)? The reason is because moderation is encouraged to wait and see how the thread plays out (assuming thread OP is acceptable) to see if it can fix itself without moderation meddling. Sometimes it works and things calm down, but other times not so much. Not so surprising that specific thread got deleted because it became a hive filled with 90% shit posting where even a lock wasn't warranted because a lock assumes there was at least something of value being discussed.

Moderation doesn't encourage "slippery slope" mentality where we delete the everything we see as if we are Mikami from Death Note despite the numerous "deletes" we issue. It's not just one or two posts then warrants automatic delete it's usually several posts connected as a chain and I already posted one example and I got a folder of many more. This very thread has already problems with this and it's not because of "slippery slope".

P.S. I apologize @b0nk for making you assume you were being targeted/discriminated which was far from the truth. I deleted posts with unbiased intent and it wasn't just yours (if it was only that easy) and I simply forgot the first one since i was working from the bottom to the top and I'm multi-tasking with this thread and a few other things so apologize for the error. Like I said earlier we are all human and humans tend to make occasional mistakes.

Reactions: Sydoh and DukeMagus
Not gonna bother reading what you wrote, you guys just deleted a perfectly good complaint about your moderation again. It's one thing to make a single mistake, it's another when your moderation team is constantly making them, even in this thread.

Thank you for deleting dime_x one shitpost that started it all. I will no longer be posting here though, have a good day.

fwiw I didn't delete those posts, and I don't think they should have been.

Re. beginner stuff that was talked about earlier, I used the downtime last night to fix some problems with the forum software so now there is a link to the beginner resources thread at the top of the page. As you can see it's pretty bare right now, but it should at least explain what kind of attitude will be useful when posting and why complaining that Peacock is broken and needs nerfs probably won't get you far. I honestly have no idea how to write what needs to be said, so there's a google doc here that you all can edit and I'll use as a basis.

That might seem unrelated to the point of this thread, but we need to be sure that we're not going to be scaring off potential new players who are trying to get help if/when we make the moderation more lax. More stuff coming soon, I'm really busy right now.

That might seem unrelated to the point of this thread, but we need to be sure that we're not going to be scaring off potential new players who are trying to get help if/when we make the moderation more lax. More stuff coming soon, I'm really busy right now.

Well I mean, like I posted in my thesis statement I really think if there are better beginner resources quality of posting will go up everywhere.

I'm over all pretty new to Skull Heart, but I like the moderators here WAY more than anything else I've seen. Besides, NO amount of moderating can best the Miiverse Badmins my brother deals with! Here's a post that would be deleted for "discussing illegal activities" "I got some Ice cream, and it's 11 P.M., time for smash bros!"

Let it sink in.

NOTHING is worse than that! Let's all be happy, and post appropriately!

(But maybe Marie had a point in beta squigly's filler ending...)

Well I mean, like I posted in my thesis statement I really think if there are better beginner resources quality of posting will go up everywhere.
I agree! My first thread (the useless thread, for any who want to know) was supposed to just be a place for the ridiculous stuff related to Peacock, but my first comment was from the Peacock general thread's owner calling me a copycat essentially (I thanked her for the memo and all but deleted the thread, but still... a pretty harsh introduction, if you ask me.). I also don't get how my worst thread ever (if you read my posts you know which one) exploded overnight into a disaster of memes, insults, and insanity! I wrote it pretty poorly, but that was ridiculous! I think the community's great, but crazy at the same time. I did enjoy reading the posts, though! :PUN:

I agree! My first thread (the useless thread, for any who want to know) was supposed to just be a place for the ridiculous stuff related to Peacock, but my first comment was from the Peacock general thread's owner calling me a copycat essentially (I thanked her for the memo and all but deleted the thread, but still... a pretty harsh introduction, if you ask me.). I also don't get how my worst thread ever (if you read my posts you know which one) exploded overnight into a disaster of memes, insults, and insanity! I wrote it pretty poorly, but that was ridiculous! I think the community's great, but crazy at the same time. I did enjoy reading the posts, though! :PUN:

You're part of the problem right now.

Reactions: Slap and mcpeanuts
How so?

Probably referring to stuff like
The first thing that comes to mind when you say "broken": the beam projectile.
If you have the right assist, a beam-user can just play the spam game, and never even move!

"Repulsor! Repulsor! Repulsor! Repulsor!"
This goes on for 90 seconds straight, and you can't even touch stupid Magneto because your assists died in the
first few seconds!
Thus is the way of the broken game mechanic

FWIW I don't have anything against Skullgirlsfanboy besides his name and I wish he posted more game play related Skullgirls things on the Skullgirls forums instead of posts that could have been on any video game board or food dicussion about Coke and Lemonade.

Ok sure, a thread complaining about things being broken I can accept. I thought you were talking about his other threads (redoing character pols / frame data / etc) which I thought were pretty harmless.

Reactions: gllt
Lol, you're all complaining how bad the mod team is in this thread and you don't even know how unfriendly some mods are other forums

i will say this tho, there needs to be a place where half the folks here could just feel free to be random

Reactions: Skullgirlsfanboy
Ok sure, a thread complaining about things being broken I can accept. I thought you were talking about his other threads (redoing character pols / frame data / etc) which I thought were pretty harmless.
what he missed was how I closed that thread a day or two after it got ridiculous. Also, seeing how much he mentions Evo to me, I'm 99% sureSkarmand's the spammer between us. I won't stop him from doing so, but he is. Also, Coke with lemonade's great, and that thread's in "off topic"

i will say this tho, there needs to be a place where half the folks here could just feel free to be random

General Discussion, pokémon thread, smash thread, Beowulf's ero-arcade stick thread. You'll never be too random there.

What people actually want is something even more unregulated than offtopic, they want a no "man's land" subforum.

What he missed was how I closed that thread a day or two after it got ridiculous.
That has nothing to do with anything though.
It was your first post FullBleed was talking about, not what happened afterwards.
Skarmand's the spammer between us.
I won't stop him from doing so, but he is.
It's true. I spam all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: gllt
Pretty much any section not Gameplay Forum and its subforums, Beginner Forum or SG General Discussion is like that already unless there's a report sent or explicitly breaks rule/s.