• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Trying to outsmart the Skullheart.

"SkullHeart, I wish to fight your deepest form"

The SkullHeart looks astonished for a second, then starts laughing loudly for minutes.

Then...

Scenario 1: "No"
Scenario 2: Long monologue about what corrupts mortals and SH's observations over the centuries/millennias. Then final boss fight inside Lovecraftian location.

Win: the SkullHeart has its energies exhausted, possibly getting destroyed for good.
Lose: you don goof'd bruh

I only played the demo and look up some lore bits in the forum here so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.
I think that in order to defeat the Skullheart you need two things. A pure heart and a pure wish.

For example: What if Umbrella wished to heal the beaten Marie for no reason for being an act of kindness.

Or we could wish for a time machine and go back before the Skullheart was made and destroy it there. But it would lead to a bad future as the Skullheart was a major piece.

Idk... Filia wished for Painwheel's freedom but she turned (gradually) into a Skullgirl for being Medici blood.

Also Alex stated (I think) that no one is pure and the Skull Heart is just a manipulative parasite.

Reactions: Denizen
Umbrella's salty as fuck, she'd probably rather want Adam to be her ice cream slave.

Reactions: DimitriAwsometh
Idk... Filia wished for Painwheel's freedom but she turned (gradually) into a Skullgirl for being Medici blood.
Nuh-uh. Not because she's a Medici relative:

Filia: I know enough about myself now to know that memories don't matter - what's done is done, and it's time to move on.
Filia: But, Carol... that poor girl. I think I wronged her in my past, so...
Filia: ...Skull Heart!
Filia: I wish for Painwheel to have a normal life again!
Skull Heart: Your wish is pure... almost. Healing the broken girl is noble, yet you seek absolution for your forgotten guilt.
Skull Heart: Your transformation will be slow - make the most of it.

Filia get's caught in the even-an-altruistic-wish-is-vaguely-selfish clause of Skull Heart's book of tricks. Skull Heart is so good at twisting definitions and superimposing motives, it should be a lawyer.

Queen Nancy Renoir wished for peace, an end to the Grand War. Sounds pure, right? Skull Heart gave her a slow transformation, but ultimately ruled the wish impure.

Or we could wish for a time machine and go back before the Skullheart was made and destroy it there. But it would lead to a bad future as the Skullheart was a major piece.

Colonel Campbell voice: Paradox!

Even if the Skull Heart was made (it's origin is unclear, recent lore has it maybe coming to the planet via meteor crash long ago), you can't use it to go undo it because you need it first to go. Any time-traveller should know, if you have a mission to accomplish with time travel, it is already failed (if the problem was already solved, then there is no motive to go).

Colonel Campbell voice: Paradox!

Even if the Skull Heart was made (it's origin is unclear, recent lore has it maybe coming to the planet via meteor crash long ago), you can't use it to go undo it because you need it first to go. Any time-traveller should know, if you have a mission to accomplish with time travel, it is already failed (if the problem was already solved, then there is no motive to go).

Counter-point: Trips to the past could be great for gathering intel and retroactive preparations.

"If only somebody left a convenient rocket launcher in this unlocked treasure chest. Hey, look, a health potion!"

Sounds like something that can be explored with Isaac.

Reactions: aydensnake
This just came into my mind; what if valentine accidentally outsmarted the skullheart?
Like if the skullheart corrups someones wish if she is a jerk, would that apply if someone wishes to be the skullgirl? Valentine just disapeared in her ending, so what could have happent ro her?

Skull Heart is like "aight whatever weirdo" and she became the Skullgirl and fucked off.
Painwheel would track her down and kill her, and literally nothing was solved.

Nice work Val, you're a real hero.

This just came into my mind; what if valentine accidentally outsmarted the skullheart?
Like if the skullheart corrups someones wish if she is a jerk, would that apply if someone wishes to be the skullgirl? Valentine just disapeared in her ending, so what could have happent ro her?

Clever, but given the Heart's greater agenda and it's uncanny knack for detecting other people's hidden agendas... yeah, probably won't work.

"Grats! You're now the Skullgirl. Enjoy enough power to kill that little girl you tortured, and the compulsion to do so."

So if someone pure would fix this problem, why not just wish for the skullgirl after you to be pure?

Pure good then? To eliminate that loophole

Pure good then? To eliminate that loophole
Thats a pretty seflish wish, man.

Thats a pretty seflish wish, man.
Exactly, your wish isn't pure but the next one will be.

The Skull Heart doesn't fallow rules, this isn't Madoka.

skullheart, i wish to become meguca

How is it a rule? I thought the heart granted wishes? I don't see what's wrong with wishing for someone who can make pure wish.

How is it a rule? I thought the heart granted wishes? I don't see what's wrong with wishing for someone who can make pure wish.
It would decide to just... not grant that wish.

It would decide to just... not grant that wish.
Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the skullheart if just says, "F it, I don't feel like granting that wish"

You know what, let me rephrase that (as I sense this conversation will go off topic if it continues), if the skullheart is all about messing with your wish if you're not pure, how would it try to alter a wish for finding someone pure to use it?

how would it try to alter a wish for finding someone pure to use it?
It wouldn't grant it.
Or someone pure would use it but would still become a skullgirl because wishes are inherently selfish thus the person is pure but the moment they wish they no longer become pure. It's still granting the wish but it doesn't mean it has to keep the person pure c:

Reactions: The Dave
Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the skullheart if just says, "F it, I don't feel like granting that wish"
The purpose of the Skull Heart isn't to twist people's wishes like a genie, it's purpose is to create more Skullgirls. The Wish is just an incentive for people to search for it, making it a lot easier for women to find it, use it, and become corrupted by it. Why would it ever grant a wish that works against it's own goals?

Or someone pure would use it but would still become a skullgirl because wishes are inherently selfish thus the person is pure but the moment they wish they no longer become pure. It's still granting the wish but it doesn't mean it has to keep the person pure c:

Now that sounds more like it.

Thinking about it, wasn't the purpose of the skullheart to kill eliza? I can't remember how tho, maybe through the skullgirls?

The way the Skull Heart and Double freaked out upon discovering Eliza makes me think revenge was a secondary goal. Eliza fudged everything up in the past and they don't want her ruining things again. What Skull Heart and Double are after, I don't know. They (if they are indeed separate) started a religion and have maintained high interest in their Skullgirl screening scheme.

One must remember the legend is only out there because Double has been spreading it for centuries. The scam is stacked in their favor by default. No amount of purity will prevent a Skullgirl result.

Skull Heart is like "aight whatever weirdo" and she became the Skullgirl and fucked off.
Painwheel would track her down and kill her, and literally nothing was solved.

Nice work Val, you're a real hero.

I admire Valentine's resolve. The ultimate dive into deep cover in efforts to stop the cycle once and for all.

Her wish is the most logical and has the least collateral damage. Nancy's wish seemed to be proportionate to the level of Skullgirl she became. A big wish like ending a war made her one of the strongest Skullgirls. Marie's Medici hatred unraveled her control. Having access to the deepest secrets and decades of research of the Anti-Skullgirl Labs, I'm sure Valentine has studied the Skullgirls more than anyone in the playable cast (apart from Double, of course).

My mistake on the war thing, but I had thought I remember seeing on the lore thread that parasites came from the Skullheart, unless I misunderstood that.

"- Theonite is roughly as rare a meteor rock (maybe just a bit more common) and has some connection to the Skullheart (not 100% clear). It's what Living Weapons are made of, whereas Parasites are directly derived from the Skullheart itself, in some way."

Nonetheless, thank you for setting me straight.

I know this is more or less closed but I remember Leviathan saying in Squigly's story that he knew Samson 'before there even was a Skull Heart'.
Do with that as you will.

Also, I remember this kind of thing being hypothesised on Tv Tropes' Headscratchers page, where they mentioned that even if you said 'I wish for no more Skullgirls' it would probably just kill everyone on the planet so there could BE no more Skullgirls.

I know this is more or less closed but I remember Leviathan saying in Squigly's story that he knew Samson 'before there even was a Skull Heart'.
Do with that as you will.
This has been addressed on a number of occasions, actually. Word of god has it that parasite derive from the Skullheart, which is a piece of info that was made public after Eliza's release, so it's not an issue of her story lore overwriting it.

That said, it's been hinted that just because Leviathan says that, doesn't mean he's right. The Skullheart might have not been publicly visible at the start of it's activity (how many years or centuries that would be - we don't know), or acted under a different form, resulting in parasites like Leviathan not noticing the connection.

The quote in question, for those curious:
Squigly: Who in the world was that? He seemed rather rude... and reckless.
Leviathan: Samson was once respectable. I even considered him a friend, but that was a long, long time ago - even before there was a Skull Heart.
Leviathan: I know not what he seeks to accomplish now, but it will not end well for him or that girl.

As Muro mentions, Leviathan can only speak from his experience. He and Samson were very close to the inner circle of powerful parasites seeing how they know about Neferu, the Crimson Scourge ruining everything. This includes Queen Lamia, Venus, Aeon, and their respective parasites. Skull Heart didn't become public knowledge until that thing called Double started spreading the legend of the Skullgirl. Fishing for suckers with the magic MacGuffin scam.

However, from the few make-a-wish endings, it seems the Skull Heart is rather sincere about making the wish come true and judging the wisher. I wonder if it is some compatibility ritual or is it actually required to grant wishes like a djinn or Shenron.

Reactions: SmashBlade
What if to dominate the skullheart wish, instead of being pure, you need to be the complete opposite?

I mean, Marie had a clear Selfish wish, and she knew she would become the Skullgirl, and in every point of every story mode in the game, she is still in control.

I guess, you can't avoid becoming the skullgirl, but you can control yourself as the skullgirl if you wish is so impure, and so determined that envolves becoming the skullgirl, so you dominates the transformation.

Imagine something like: "i want the skullheart power to dominate every creature in existence and bow everyone to my will" and the skullheart is like: let's go then.

Reactions: The Dave
What if to dominate the skullheart wish, instead of being pure, you need to be the complete opposite?

I mean, Marie had a clear Selfish wish, and she knew she would become the Skullgirl, and in every point of every story mode in the game, she is still in control.

I guess, you can't avoid becoming the skullgirl, but you can control yourself as the skullgirl if you wish is so impure, and so determined that envolves becoming the skullgirl, so you dominates the transformation.

Imagine something like: "i want the skullheart power to dominate every creature in existence and bow everyone to my will" and the skullheart is like: let's go then.

Oh, my wish is pure, alright. Pure badass.

It seems the Heart has enough sentience to get some say in the matter. It can be influenced, convinced. It's an asshole, but maybe not 100% asshole. If it just wanted to wreak bloody terror upon the planet, Eliza would've been a fine choice... but it rejected her.

Maybe the Skull Heart's less "Scheming Apocalypse," more "Ghost Rider." It will bring fire and judgment upon everything, and does genuinely want to bring justice down upon the guilty... but has an uncanny superpower to see the flaws in everything, so almost everything's "at least a little guilty."

Perhaps that's why it corrupts wishes the way it does? If "impurity" is a desire for righteous wrath, then the Heart's manipulations consistently work in this fashion:
  • Selene: Sure, bring back your dead family, but really you want to get back at those who wronged you, yes?
  • Nancy: Sure, "peace," but really you're bitter and angry about this horrendously long war, yes?
  • Marie: Vengeance? Darkness? No parents? Lots of skelleys, kinda makes it better.
  • Filia: Self-loathing over long ago semi-forgotten sin? Well... mostly okay, but you'll hurt yourself over time. You now have Skull-Cancer, best put your affairs in order.
  • Cerebella: Wow, really? You don't hate anyone? That's, uh, pretty weird, girl, but okay. You're still a fool, and that is one stupid wish. Seriously, never wish for something "forever," that can't not bite people in the ass. Just sayin'.
  • Parasoul: You sure you don't resent this? Just a little? Just put an end to the whole bloody mess and your seriously messed up royal family? Plus, we don't know what shenanigans went on with Umbrella while she was in development.
  • Painwheel: Whoa, slow down, girl! You hate everything? Oooookay, then.
  • Valentine: Um... Honestly, you keep switching sides so often even I don't know what you want, and I can literally look into people's souls and see what they want. Looks like you're trying to atone for wrongdoing and kill me, so, um, here, have some skelleys!
  • Eliza: ...No. Just no. Frankly, you're the sort of person other people are supposed to use me to wish against. So no.
Plus, if Double/Lamia want vengeance upon mankind for rejecting Theons way back when, using the Heart in such a way makes sense.

Perhaps any wish that doesn't explicitly benefit the Trinity (or anyone, really) equally can be construed as impure by the logic that since not everyone is benefitting equally, some are elevated over others, thereby making it a form of favoritism and selfish. And you can't wish for everyone to be equal, either. Then some people might lose things, or if everyone benefits, they will benefit in different amounts and be unequal.

So, in conclusion, just ask the Skullheart about why it does what it does and how, and then destroy it.