• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Under Night In-Birth developers interested in adding a Skullgirls character to the roster!

Hey the sheer fact we have a theme in there means yeah, we're getting that Skullgirls character.
Now let's see if they'll translate this thing.
It has a better chance of getting localized than Melty Blood at least.

When I eventually get the game I'm going Hyde and Sion, but would especially try to learn the SG character if its Marie (Hoping for this she would fit the game really well) or Filia (Familiarity).

That theme could fit anyone, not just Marie. It IS the main Skullgirls theme, after all.

Im betting on Filia.
it plays during the intro so yeah, its the main theme of the game.

i still don't think Lab Zero would let anyone make a character they haven't made themselves.

I feel like you can rule out the cartoonier/more overtly clashing ones, to be honest, so that's Cerebella, Peacock, and Valentine off the block.

Double could work, but Merkava already kinda has the monster slot pegged.

Painwheel, Ms. Fortune, and Parasoul would all work, but Parasoul and Painwheel don't seem like they'd be natural first picks to me. Ms. Fortune is debatable; she's a good sweet spot between goofy and serious.

Overall, though, especially with the BGM choice--Filia or Marie, I'm betting, and I'd be happy with either as a Filia main who wanted Marie, lol. I'd almost lean Filia more than Marie because Under Night already has a ranged white-haired young girl.

Are we forgetting Squigly here? She's a possibility too now that she's completed.

Reactions: Cybermanworf
Hrmm. I did forget about her. Squigly's a viable contender too.

Though I don't know if Japan's gotten to play her yet.

Man, when they reveal who it is though, it's sure gonna be hype.
watch it be someone unexpected like cerebella.

she can have giant hand fights with waldstein.

or its double sent by aeon to troll another dimension.

I feel like you can rule out the cartoonier/more overtly clashing ones, to be honest, so that's Cerebella, Peacock, and Valentine off the block.
Why Valentine? From what I understand the most popular characters are Peacock, Fortune and Valentine. I may be exaggerating, but I think Val is almost the poster girl for the game. She seems to show up a lot in media, even in Anita-you-know-who's upcoming documentary.

Why Valentine? From what I understand the most popular characters are Peacock, Fortune and Valentine. I may be exaggerating, but I think Val is almost the poster girl for the game. She seems to show up a lot in media, even in Anita-you-know-who's upcoming documentary.

That seems more like Anita cherry-picking an easy target than it is Val being the poster girl. :P That's news to me, I'd admit, because I never saw any special prominence for Val in media. I'll take your word on it, but I've seen Filia and Cerebella way more.

Valentine I included because, as is, she doesn't really seem to fit the setting of Under Night. Mind you, she's a cameo so she doesn't have to be a perfect fit, but she's one of the characters who is hard to do "straight" in a more seriously animated game. Under Night is drawn like Melty Blood which is anime but relatively conventional looking anime.

It seems like not all of the more Western cartoon characters would look right in a 1-for-1 animation style change.

Val might not, not because of the scanty nurse outfit, but because of the hammer space medical gear or the bodybag jutsus. She clashes with the setting/animation style too much to seem like a viable option. Peacock would be awesome but clashes even moreso - but at least with Peacock she clashes because she canonly twists reality, so you don't "have" to do her straight. Val and Cerebella seem like they would look really odd in a straightman universe not based on cartoons in a 1930s world.

Not sure how much sense that makes, but Filia and Samson seems easier to me to draw seriously than Vice Versa or Val's gear would be.

I'd disagree. I'd say the "intended" hero of game is supposed to be Filia.

But of the whole cast, I'd say Peacock is the most popular overall. Everyone likes her. And she pretty much exemplifies Skullgirl's main themes of both Fun-loving Wackiness and Unsettling Freakishness.

Okay, understood. Like I said I was exaggerating or just talking out of my ass. Val is still like the 3rd popular character, especially according to the IGG poll.

I main filia so if she's in there too I'd be quite happy with that heh, besides I personally feel filia is kinda shadowed by the rest of the cast currently and I would love her in more games.

Marie was ranked #1 popular (even ahead of Peacock) in a Japan poll according to Cyberfront (Japan SG Publisher) awhile back when the game launched in consoles over there despite being unplayable in contrast to the IGG polls where Japan was no where near the majority percentage of backers.
=============================••••••••==============

It can theoretically be any character though since we need more to go on besides the character theme to be sure. I see clues/trends though however that may favor certain SG character odds. Sion who was the main character of Melty Blood series who originated from a different series as well didn't get her Melty theme in UNiB.
Sion Melty theme: Encount
Instead she got a remix of the opening song of Melty Blood: Actress Again
Sion UNiB theme: Blood Drain- Again (Hmm....Legend of The Skull Heart -again- both tracks are openings...)
Blood Drain was the opening track for Melty Blood: Actress Again that wasn't necessarily directly related to Sion either so theoretically Legend of The Skull Heart -Again- can simply be the theme to represent the Skullgirls cast like Sion did for Melty Blood.

Its not just Melty Blood either, another recently announced UNiB guest character named Akatsuki who was the main character from Akatsuki Blitzkampf the WWII Nazi era fighting game appeared as well who had his UNiB theme recently announced called War Start -Again-
You guessed it... it was from the opening track of Akatsuki Blitzkampf

War Start
is the opening of the game and not directly related to Akatsuki since he has his own theme in the game.
Akatsuki theme in Akatsuki Blitzkampf: Awakening

Just like Legend of the Skull Heart was the opening track that wasn't directly related to a specific character although it leans towards Marie who got remixes of the opening track called Skull Heart Arrhythmia (Marie Boss stage) and Destiny in Her Hands (Rooftops Assault Stage) where Marie is present carrying a freaking building in the background.

This also indirectly hints that the Skullgirls opening track is going to sound fairly different in the UNiB remix if you compare both the Blood Drain and War Start tracks and it can mean any Skullgirls character could be the guest character although with what we have currently right now I think it would lean towards Marie (Fits the overall atmosphere of the game) or Filia (Keeping up with the main character guest character pattern).

Thats the end of my little theory which by no means is confirmed facts.

Man, I didn't think I could get any more hype for this game, but now I find out they're adding a Skullgirls character, holy shit.

I feel like Filia and Parasoul are probably the best fits for UNIB's style, but on the other hand I'd love to see how they'd portray Double.

...I'm still maining Merkava, though. His super looks too hilarious to pass up.

Merkava will be my main, but I am excited to see what SkullGirls character appears in UNiB. Marie sounds like a good choice, but we'll have to see.

Merkava will be my main, but I am excited to see what SkullGirls character appears in UNiB. Marie sounds like a good choice, but we'll have to see.
I think if I had the chance to play, I'd use Merkava too. He looks like a combo of Lizardman and Twelve.

I think if I had the chance to play, I'd use Merkava too. He looks like a combo of Lizardman and Twelve.

Merkava has a really unique design and he looks so much fun to play. Honestly an instant main

Reactions: Cybermanworf
I'll be maining vatista X3

Akatsuki is another character I'll probably try out besides Hyde, Sion (who is the Deadpool of this game lol), and the SG guest character. Simply because of the "Jew Puncher" background.

Want to see how faithful his transition is and if he can hold his own when converted into UNiB.
His hair got more bluish instead of pure black is the first thing I noticed in the transition.

Also expecting whatever SG guest character have a similar intro like this with the silhouette "Warning!"

Reactions: Jutsei
Only thing I don't like about Merkava is he looks like a fucking creep.
Bites people's face in his instant kill then flies away with them as a win pose.
That's the textbook definition of a big creep
He's just taking them to the hospital :D

Sion's super meta commentary makes me hope a Skullgirl character can at least mention how French Bread has some of most hilarious walls of text ever.

"1st Clause? Divide? What!?"

Akatsuki is another character I'll probably try out besides Hyde, Sion (who is the Deadpool of this game lol), and the SG guest character. Simply because of the "Jew Puncher" background.

Want to see how faithful his transition is and if he can hold his own when converted into UNiB.
His hair got more bluish instead of pure black is the first thing I noticed in the transition.

Also expecting whatever SG guest character have a similar intro like this with the silhouette "Warning!"

I love it.

I do kinda hope it's Marie...

Last edited:
My only hope that it's not a character already in SG's roster. That would make the guest appearance way more unique. Guess I'll cross my fingers <3

He's still a creep!
Either way, I agree, I hope there's some fourth wall breaking

Shut up, he grabs them and flies them back to his home planet lulz

It is Annie time.

Well I dunno, I mean Arakune is creepy, but he's still charming in a strange way (probably due to the mask)
But that motherfucker is just.
Goodness.

arakune is pretty creepy weird. also he's made of BEES.

anyway this reminds me, but since i never really looked into it, what exactly is the story set up for unib?

You know, I kinda forgot this game existed until this happened.

This is both good and bad. It's good because know when it becomes localized, I can play the flip out of it.

The bad news is that now I'm going to have to listen to Godeau's theme all day, every day for the rest of my life.

Darn you, Rushing Heart. Just when I thought I've quit you, you always find a way to drag me back. Even if you do it indirectly.

Last edited:
Do you guys think there should be a separate thread for Under Night In-Birth? I found this good news:

Please ask Nyu Media to not only release the Western version on Steam, but on consoles as well!

twitter https://twitter.com/nyumedia
facebook https://www.facebook.com/NyuMediaLtd
e-mail info@nyu-media.com
Nyu Media's game requests forum http://nyu-media.com/forum/community-group1/game-requests-forum3/

I sent them a message on twitter and facebook, I hope others do the same.

Reactions: No longer exist
I wrote to them on Facebook. Let's hope they will consider a Console release and maybe a Disc release. I know it's more expensive and risky, but it makes it easier to bring the game to offline meetups instead of carrying around a console or hoping someone else at the venue bought the game.

I really hope this makes it to steam and consoles. I want to play this game SOOOOOOO bad.
You and me both. I'm so hype for more fighters on PC since I don't have my console anymore.