• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Under Night In-Birth

Ya the creator has stated that they would release a sequel instead of a balance patch, which I personally agree with.

Is that because you think it is balanced? Or just want a new game? Both?

Out of curiosity, what's your take on balance? I know just about everything I've read puts Chaos/Ak pretty far behind the rest and Merk/Wald/Gord as top three with a noticeable gap between them and everyone else.

Like I said, I can't really speak to balance... but the Chaos/Merk MU was one of the most unfun things I've ever played in any fighter... ever. Gord is annoying as balls, and I absolutely despise playing him regardless of how it ends up, but I have admittedly had some success just mashing through his block strings.

They mentioned awhile back if they were gonna add more guest characters it won't be from the same game so no more Melty/Blitzkampf characters. The patches they implemented wasn't really character balance orientated as it addresses a few bugs and added more fluff [music select].

As for balance it's fairly good, but that is more based on the system mechanics that rewards good player defense then individual merit. It's pretty much in no particular order since that is debatable between players still [Gord/Merk/Wald] > Rest [people in this group may struggle with others in this group, but it's not as uphill/downhill compared to above three/bottom two] > [Akats/Chaos]. As long as your not witnessing an Akatsuki vs Merk fight for example your not likely to see many stomp matches where the player will feel helpless/overly passive.

the saddest thing about aka is just how nice he feels to control
but damn is he ever in the wrong game

Reactions: North888
Fighting Gordeau is one of the most unfun things. I've had tons of success against Wald with Vatista. Never really had much against him accept when he starts getting offensive and I whiff my stuff.

Ya want boring? Try Vatista vs. Vatista. It's called two little girls sitting in a corner...and it's pretty tense as the player. Watching it? Gah.

Just play Nanase and S E T P L A Y G I R L S.

Is that because you think it is balanced? Or just want a new game? Both?

Out of curiosity, what's your take on balance? I know just about everything I've read puts Chaos/Ak pretty far behind the rest and Merk/Wald/Gord as top three with a noticeable gap between them and everyone else.

Like I said, I can't really speak to balance... but the Chaos/Merk MU was one of the most unfun things I've ever played in any fighter... ever. Gord is annoying as balls, and I absolutely despise playing him regardless of how it ends up, but I have admittedly had some success just mashing through his block strings.
I like the balance, I don't feel like we need a new game so soon. Here is a link to my personal tier list right now (http://www.mmcafe.com/tiermaker/inb...s8a5r5i88npd684awauaxav8akyffnpfb83cbl2d6-bk5)
S : Gord, Merk, Vatista, Carmine=Eltnum
A+:Linne, Wald=Yuzu
A: Hilda
A-: Hyde, Orie, Nanase
B+: Byakuya=Seth, Chaos, Akatsuki

The characters in the B+ tier are there because they are the only ones I feel with obvious weakness (Byakuya/Seth have defense issues while Chaos/Akatsuki have offense issues). Don't take this as in they cannot content, those characters can be a problem with a skilled player. A Byakuya recently got 2nd at a big Cali tourny! If there are any questions on why I put X character where I did feel free to ask.

(I found this Chaos vs Merk info from Brkrdave, a skilled Chaos) The matchup is mostly just keep the doll alive and next to Merkava. None of your normals really contend with his. 6c is too slow unless Merkava is dashing at you. If you have enough time/space, it is possible to 6c his fly. If not, try to roll it. Try not to put too much space between yourself and your lizard. Keep him about half screen. If Merkava flies from full screen, try to cancel 214b into 236b and that can go high enough to catch him. Merkava players tend to get scared of the doll and pre-emptively fly to try to kill the doll. if you can space yourself just out of fly range, you can punish even if the lizard dies.

Basically, in neutral I wouldn't use any moves other than jump-assault j.2c, 6c, roll, and occasionally 2c. the rest will have to be the lizard and avoiding his fly.

They mentioned awhile back if they were gonna add more guest characters it won't be from the same game so no more Melty/Blitzkampf characters.

Aww.. that means the best character won't be in the game... poor Blitztank.
blitzTANK.png

Akatsuki is a really fun character. You just need to be REALLY patient in his matches. I haven't played any of the higher tier characters yet but would love the practice.

I finally had some more time to play and believe I may have my mains: Chaos, Gordeau, and Clyde. Those three felt the best to me. Akatsuki and Seth were really close though and I may end up switching Akatsuki for Gordeau as an experiment.
Akatsuki is a really fun character. You just need to be REALLY patient in his matches. I haven't played any of the higher tier characters yet but would love the practice.
I agree. Akatsuki feels really fun (I love doing his TK fire ball) and does decent damage, but one of the main reasons I chose Gordeau over him is his links. The only way I do decent damage without super long combos are with his links and really strictly timed supers after certain command normals. Feeling wise, he's like a poor man's Parasoul.

I put Seth on the side because....too many buttons.

Last edited:
Who's Clyde?

he must be a new character
latest

this must be his design

he must be a new character
latest

this must be his design
I don't like him.

Ok i settled on people i want to learn

Orie(1st)
Nanase(2nd)
Eltnum(3rd)
Seth(LAST)
Orie is pretty sick, and is annoying as shit.

I played Nanase before I switched to Wald. She has good overheads and crossups but her fastest low is 12 frames and her damage output is pretty low.

Eltnum is strong. Very, very strong. Seth is just neat.

Eltnum in my experience is "she touched me and almost all of my life is gone".

All over, but mostly my face with that damn dive kick.

Mhmm, I see....
Touched you all over...
All over your face....
Made you taste her feet.....

I think we have a case. I'll get the paper work in order. That foot perv won't stay on the streets for long.
[nods]

Anyone know how to beat Vatista as Chaos? It's really hard trying to get through all those projectiles, the moment I send in Azhi to walk close to her is the moment she darts past him and wrecks me.

this is one of the most unbalanced fighters i have played in my life. hell it's more unbalanced then UMVC3.

this is one of the most unbalanced fighters i have played in my life. hell it's more unbalanced then UMVC3.
really how so?

or GRIM REAPAH

I remember in one of Blaise's beginner lobby had someone never block Grim Reapah and raged quit. It was hilarious.

Anyone know how to beat Vatista as Chaos? It's really hard trying to get through all those projectiles, the moment I send in Azhi to walk close to her is the moment she darts past him and wrecks me.
step one
curl into a ball
step two
cry

step one
curl into a ball
step two
cry
Thanks, love.

obviously he got put in the infinite.

your wrong about that. in nilla MVC3 all i saw online was Wesker/Dante's/Sential's team and every god dang match to where even where i ran into one of them on a team i turn off my system when ranked started.

for UMC3 i really can't recall i did not play much online but OP teams were Zero/Doom/Vegril.

now for UN i mained Hyde and fought a Merkava he did the same attack the whole match. he can go through my attacks i could not do gutter trash. tell me if that's broken pile of baby poo.

your wrong about that. in nilla MVC3 all i saw online was Wesker/Dante's/Sential's team and every god dang match to where even where i ran into one of them on a team i turn off my system when ranked started.

for UMC3 i really can't recall i did not play much online but OP teams were Zero/Doom/Vegril.

now for UN i mained Hyde and fought a Merkava he did the same attack the whole match. he can go through my attacks i could not do gutter trash. tell me if that's broken pile of baby poo.
Block. Counter. Repeat.
If you were playing Akatsuki, then I'd tell you that you'll be fighting an uphill battle everywhere.

Reactions: Covenant
I think it feels unbalanced as fuck when you first start. It does get better as you learn more, but some characters have such a low skill floor that the burden is on you to learn them and not the other way around.

I've found in rank that there are plenty of (especially) Gords and Merks whose game play is utterly unimpressive. >1k games with a ~90% win ratio that seem to play stupidly, never block, and rely on your lack of knowledge and their incredible buttons to carry the win. I actually look forward to encountering some of these players once I get a tiny bit better.

That said, I've encountered some good players with low tier characters that make me believe the game is more balanced than I first though if you put time into it.

Of course, I wouldn't be opposed to some of the recovery on the full screen moves being nerfed. Merkavas full screen command grab... 12 fucking frames recovery... are you fucking serious? You have to inch dash (dash > block > dash) like 6 times to even threaten vs that annoying fucking move.

@Dreamepitaph look me up on PSN for some games.

You're kidding me right?

You have Gord Merkava Vatista Carmine and debatably Wald as being slightly op/really good (I know Merkava and Gord seem really overwhelming when you first start, but at the very least Gord has a lot of 5-5 matchups)
You have Linne Eltnum Yuzu Hilda and Hyde as being pretty good/balanced
You have Orie Byakuya and Seth as being alright but still a bit weaker
Akatsuki and Chaos are more or less unplayable, but even the JP players do well with those two.

In terms of tournament results, there's plenty of good JP players representing every character (excluding byakuya and nanase, who are not in the arcade version yet). In the States we've seen Carmine dominate thanks to 2gb Combo and SonicFox winning pretty much every major so far.

Honestly UNIEL is one of the MORE balanced games i've played. Certainly not Skullgirls Tier balance but just about every character has been proven as a viable choice in the game.

Reactions: Blaise
My super skewed view on balance is that it is one of the most balanced fighters while still maintaining one of the most disparate ratios.

If you were to completely ignore either the bottom tier or the top tier, the game is damn near 5-5 all around... but that is unfortunately not the case.

Which is a god damn shame too because the game is almost perfectly balanced... a few negatives on block for the top tier and a few +damage for the bottom tier and you have the single most balanced fighter... ever. But, that won't be the case apparently.

My super skewed view on balance is that it is one of the most balanced fighters while still maintaining one of the most disparate ratios.

If you were to completely ignore either the bottom tier or the top tier, the game is damn near 5-5 all around... but that is unfortunately not the case.

Which is a god damn shame too because the game is almost perfectly balanced... a few negatives on block for the top tier and a few +damage for the bottom tier and you have the single most balanced fighter... ever. But, that won't be the case apparently.
I'm sure a balance patch will happen sooner or later.

Honestly I mostly just want Gord's command grab to have shorter range. Maybe have EX mortal slide be even or -1 on block instead of +5, but I think that's an important tool for him.

I would rather buff Akatsuki and Chaos than nerf Gord/Merkava/Vatista honestly

I'm sure a balance patch will happen sooner or later.

I'm not sure if there will be any more patches since

Ya the creator has stated that they would release a sequel instead of a balance patch, which I personally agree with.

I also agree that this is one of the more balanced fighters I've played. You just need a LOT of patience for the lower tier characters but if you are willing to be patient, it's really rewarding. BrkrDave is a really good US Chaos player and I wish I could find stream archives of his matches to link here.

Also for anyone who wants some matches, feel free to add me as well. I'm willing to get tossed around to learn.

Lol most matchups are not 5.5 and i play hilda very well

8-2 hilda's favor
Akataski
Nanase

7-3 hilda's disadvantage
Linne
Seth

Everyone more or less is 5/5 with the exception of gord/eltinum which is like 6/6.5
Also i'm unsure about waldstien but i feel like it's in hilda's favor

Lol most matchups are not 5.5 and i play hilda very well

8-2 hilda's favor
Akataski
Nanase

7-3 hilda's disadvantage
Linne
Seth

Everyone more or less is 5/5 with the exception of gord/eltinum which is like 6/6.5
Also i'm unsure about waldstien but i feel like it's in hilda's favor
Most matchups are even. Judging the games matchups with Hilda is like judging SF4 with Dhalsim matchups :p. Even then her worse matchup is prob Linne with it being 6.5 Linnes favor. Orie and Seth also give her trouble.
and I don't think you know what a 8-2 matchup looks like haha

Reactions: Negus Eyoel
8-2 match ups are gord v akatsuki
aka "this is just sad and not very fun to watch"

Reactions: Φ
Picked this up yesterday. I kinda like how it's a little more slanted towards oldschool fighters then pure air-dashiness. Might try to learn Seth, or Linne and Hyde.