• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[Untagged Spoilers Allowed Here] The Spoiler Discussion Thread (for Umbrella's story and onwards)

Chrono_Tata

When's Adam
Reaction score
Steam
Chrono_Tata
PSN
Chrono_Tata
Cerebella Painwheel Unknown

Corridor89

Reaction score
Double Painwheel
1576380121660.png

I have been thinking a bit lately about this post. Isn't the face of Double's nun form essentially just a copy of the Mother's face without its left half missing?
Anyone know how old this reddit post is? Feels like it's older than Eliza's addition to the game at the very least.

Chrono_Tata

When's Adam
Reaction score
Steam
Chrono_Tata
PSN
Chrono_Tata
View attachment 16264
I have been thinking a bit lately about this post. Isn't the face of Double's nun form essentially just a copy of the Mother's face without its left half missing?
Anyone know how old this reddit post is? Feels like it's older than Eliza's addition to the game at the very least.
It's from Lab Zero's Reddit AMA from 2015, after all the "Season 0" DLC characters had been released. But yeah, being related to Mother's face would make sense; Double, Lamia and the Mother seem to be closely tied.

Reactions: Holy Goose

Corridor89

Reaction score
Double Painwheel
It's from Lab Zero's Reddit AMA from 2015, after all the "Season 0" DLC characters had been released. But yeah, being related to Mother's face would make sense; Double, Lamia and the Mother seem to be closely tied.
I wonder what he meant by "forgotten", though. Double forgot what she used to look like? When there are statues and stained glass of a nearly identical woman all over the cathedral?
Makes me think.

Chrono_Tata

When's Adam
Reaction score
Steam
Chrono_Tata
PSN
Chrono_Tata
I wonder what he meant by "forgotten", though. Double forgot what she used to look like? When there are statues and stained glass of a nearly identical woman all over the cathedral?
Makes me think.
Perhaps it means that Double does not know/remember her true origin, and something happened or was done to her to make her the way she is right now. I wonder how much she knows about the time before she was Double, and how much of the truth the Trinity are telling her.

Corridor89

Reaction score
Double Painwheel
You really have to appreciate the touches the artists put in the animations at times.
For example, in the extra intros made for SGM, Double has the animation where she kneels, praying in front of the Trinity busts. In her little shapeshifted vignette, there are some lilies. Traditionally in real life, lilies represent purity, fertility, rebirth and are a popular choice for a funeral flower. All of these aspects are relevant to the Trinity, Double and the Skull Heart in some manner.

Last edited:

Corridor89

Reaction score
Double Painwheel
Would it be correct to assume that the Skull Heart was not destroyed when Skullgirl Selene was defeated by Squigly and company?
We know that Selene and Nancy were 14 and 7 years ago respectively, but we also know that Nancy had a slow transformation -- long enough to have carried and given birth to Umbrella. And based on Umbrella's current age, that would have been 3 or 4 years prior to Nancy fully transforming (With Nancy and Franz's dialogue in SGM confirming that Umbrella was born prior to the time Nancy was a full Skullgirl).
Which, due to the Skull Heart taking 7 years to respawn after being destroyed, would mean that the Heart couldn't have logically been destroyed with Selene as Nancy would have acquired it only a few years later.

Chrono_Tata

When's Adam
Reaction score
Steam
Chrono_Tata
PSN
Chrono_Tata
Would it be correct to assume that the Skull Heart was not destroyed when Skullgirl Selene was defeated by Squigly and company?
We know that Selene and Nancy were 14 and 7 years ago respectively, but we also know that Nancy had a slow transformation -- long enough to have carried and given birth to Umbrella. And based on Umbrella's current age, that would have been 3 or 4 years prior to Nancy fully transforming (With Nancy and Franz's dialogue in SGM confirming that Umbrella was born prior to the time Nancy was a full Skullgirl).
Which, due to the Skull Heart taking 7 years to respawn after being destroyed, would mean that the Heart couldn't have logically been destroyed with Selene as Nancy would have acquired it only a few years later.
There is no rule that the Skull Heart respawns every 7 years, just that it has been observed that Skullgirls appear approximately every 7 years. It seems more likely that Double knew Nancy's wish was going to take around 4 years to "incubate", so to speak, so she offered it to her early in order to ensure the Skullgirl cycle stay on schedule.

As we saw in Eliza's ending, the Skullgirl and thus the Skull Heart could have just been resurrected almost immediately if needed. The 7-year cycle does not seem to be based on a physical limitation, but by choice.

Holy Goose

Science Shark Supporter
Reaction score
Steam
eestifisher
Unknown Unknown Unknown
Makes a lot of sense.
Is it right to assume, that after Selene's defeat, the Skull Heart somehow ended with the royal family? Maybe Big Band and Panzerfaust had an order to bring it to the Labs for further study? Maybe the Renoirs were trying to get the Skull Heart in their hands, just like Lorenzo?
We never see it being destroyed, but we do see Squigly and Leviathan collapsing.
Logically speaking, Annie had the reasons to destroy it.

We need to know more about Nancy's deal with the Skull Heart. It was never outright depicted. No information about how, when and where it happened.
Maybe she made a wish soon after Selene's death. The situation already was kind of desperate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corridor89

Corridor89

Reaction score
Double Painwheel
As we saw in Eliza's ending, the Skullgirl and thus the Skull Heart could have just been resurrected almost immediately if needed. The 7-year cycle does not seem to be based on a physical limitation, but by choice.
I don't know. I always saw the ending of Eliza's story as a bit of a weird dubiously-canon sequel hook that was meant more to say, "Don't worry, guys, Marie will stop Eliza from this really bleak ending", than it being definitive proof of anything the Skull Heart could do.
Obviously, I don't know everything behind the scenes, but I would have figured it a stretch for the Skull Heart to revive a dead Skullgirl.

But you might be correct. I was perhaps just misinterpreting the 7 year thing.
Is it right to assume, that after Selene's defeat, the Skull Heart somehow ended with the royal family? Maybe Big Band and Panzerfaust had an order to bring it to the Labs for further study? Logically speaking, Annie had the reasons to destroy it.
I think it's completely plausible that the Franz and the ASG Labs would have snagged the Heart, but Parasoul's SGM story seems to imply (at least to me) that Nancy was coerced into wishing on the Skull Heart by Double under the impression that Double or the Goddesses would intervene with the war. So my assumption would be that Double had reacquired the Heart at some point and passed it along to Nancy (which is what she would have had to do with or without it being destroyed along with Selene).

Annie not destroying the Heart would be my biggest issue with my theory. She would never let it be allowed to get lost or taken by someone.

Chrono_Tata

When's Adam
Reaction score
Steam
Chrono_Tata
PSN
Chrono_Tata
I don't know. I always saw the ending of Eliza's story as a bit of a weird dubiously-canon sequel hook that was meant more to say, "Don't worry, guys, Marie will stop Eliza from this really bleak ending", than it being definitive proof of anything the Skull Heart could do.
Obviously, I don't know everything behind the scenes, but I would have figured it a stretch for the Skull Heart to revive a dead Skullgirl.

But you might be correct. I was perhaps just misinterpreting the 7 year thing.
I can see what you mean but unlike the obviously joke stories such as Robo's, Eliza's is a pretty serious story and I don't see why they would have made hers a valid what-if scenario only to add an "impossible" ending. Seems more straightforward to me if the whole story is lore accurate.

Corridor89

Reaction score
Double Painwheel
The obvious question to ask then would be if the Skull Heart can instantly respawn and revive the last Skullgirl, then why doesn't it always do that?
The reasoning for it doing so against Eliza is because the Trinity has a special hatred of her, but the Trinity's normal plans of destroying the world would inevitably include Eliza as a casualty. So, why would the situation be so urgent in-universe that they'd revive Marie? That's basically why I wondered about the ending

Holy Goose

Science Shark Supporter
Reaction score
Steam
eestifisher
Unknown Unknown Unknown
I think it's completely plausible that the Franz and the ASG Labs would have snagged the Heart, but Parasoul's SGM story seems to imply (at least to me) that Nancy was coerced into wishing on the Skull Heart by Double under the impression that Double or the Goddesses would intervene with the war. So my assumption would be that Double had reacquired the Heart at some point and passed it along to Nancy (which is what she would have had to do with or without it being destroyed along with Selene).
Some of the Labs' higher-ups (like Brain Drain) would definitely want to get the Skull Heart. At least, it feels like that, based on Robo-Fortune's story and some deleted endings.
Logically, it makes a lot of sense, considering that Lab 0 was researching Skullgirl blood.

Nancy was manipulated by Double, it's all but outright stated. She probably was chosen as a very good candidate.

Annie not destroying the Heart would be my biggest issue with my theory. She would never let it be allowed to get lost or taken by someone.
We need some official information on this.
I wouldn't believe she still could be on good terms with Big Band after something like that.

The obvious question to ask then would be if the Skull Heart can instantly respawn and revive the last Skullgirl, then why doesn't it always do that?
I thought it was a sort of an emergency respawn, because there wasn't any other candidate available. The Skull Heart usually has a lot of "human material", and Double seems to have a hand in choosing the best possible candidate. But this time the situation was completely different, and they had to use what they had. Marie wasn't even the "suitable" one, but there were no other opportunities in sight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corridor89

Corridor89

Reaction score
Double Painwheel
I can see what you mean but unlike the obviously joke stories such as Robo's, Eliza's is a pretty serious story and I don't see why they would have made hers a valid what-if scenario only to add an "impossible" ending. Seems more straightforward to me if the whole story is lore accurate.
The reasoning for it doing so against Eliza is because the Trinity has a special hatred of her, but the Trinity's normal plans of destroying the world would inevitably include Eliza as a casualty. So, why would the situation be so urgent in-universe that they'd revive Marie? That's basically why I wondered about the ending
Plus, and I forgot earlier since it's been awhile, Marie confronting Eliza was a post-credits stinger.
Again, making me think that moment wasn't quite so literal. Marie miraculously swooping in and presumably saving the day against someone much worse. It felt more like a tease to what the plot of the fabled Skullgirls 2 could have felt like and less like the explicit end to Eliza's storymode.

Chrono_Tata

When's Adam
Reaction score
Steam
Chrono_Tata
PSN
Chrono_Tata
Before Eliza met Double in her story, she probably didn't even know that Neferu/Sekhmet was still alive. Double seeing Eliza was the only time she lost her cool and caused the Lamia personality to emerge. It certainly wasn't a normal situation for Double.

Lamia obviously carried an extreme grudge for Neferu for (supposedly) killing her daughters and I don't think it's impossible that the revelation that Neferu is still alive caused Lamia (or whatever part of her personality is left in Double) to interrupt the plan and revived Marie in order to have her vengenge.
Some of the Labs' higher-ups (like Brain Drain) would definitely want to get the Skull Heart. At least, it feels like that, based on Robo-Fortune's story and some deleted endings.
Logically, it makes a lot of sense, considering that Lab 0 was researching Skullgirl blood.
In Painwheel's story, Brain Drain orders her to retrieve the Skull Heart and return it to Lab 0, so yeah it has always been their goal and not something created for Robo's story.
Plus, and I forgot earlier since it's been awhile, Marie confronting Eliza was a post-credits stinger.
Again, making me think that moment wasn't quite so literal. Marie miraculously swooping in and presumably saving the day against someone much worse. It felt more like a tease to what the plot of the fabled Skullgirls 2 could have felt like and less like the explicit end to Eliza's storymode.
I don't think it being post-credit makes it any less "literal" than the rest of the story. Squigly, Annie and Umbrella's stories all have post-credit segments and far as we know they can be taken literally.