• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

[Untagged Spoilers Allowed Here] The Spoiler Discussion Thread (for Black Dahlia's story and onwards)

I guess you could handwave the fact that Irvin wasn't beaten by Ben being the senior officer -- so he's the one that got punished.
Or perhaps Irvin IS Lorenzo's son and that's why he wasn't attacked, even if Irvin himself could be a decent guy.
I had thought about Irvin being Lorenzo's son, but the more I think about it, the more it doesn't make sense because his son would be pretty well-known and I doubt it would be possible for him to pose as some no-name police officer/private detective. It's not like Lorenzo keeps him a secret either since he has his portrait displayed in his office.

But yeah, even if Irvin was an undercover mafia informant, it is still entirely possible that he isn't a "bad" person and might genuinely consider Ben as a friend. Even if he did tell Sarge about Ben turning up to the sting, maybe he didn't expect that Sarge would try to kill him.

Well, time to get in here again.

I hope it's not too early.

Finally, I got what that old sketch of headless Franz meant.

I had thought about Irvin being Lorenzo's son, but the more I think about it, the more it doesn't make sense because his son would be pretty well-known and I doubt it would be possible for him to pose as some no-name police officer/private detective. It's not like Lorenzo keeps him a secret either since he has his portrait displayed in his office.
Getting back to that, I think Ms. Fortune would have recognized Medici's son. To think about that, Filia's heritage was pretty well-known, even if her parents stayed away from family's usual activities. Doesn't make sense for her uncle to be basically unknown to the general public.

Getting back to that, I think Ms. Fortune would have recognized Medici's son. To think about that, Filia's heritage was pretty well-known, even if her parents stayed away from family's usual activities. Doesn't make sense for her uncle to be basically unknown to the general public.
I think if the uncle has kept a low profile, it is possible that he might not be well-known to most people. SG world's tech is a much earlier time after all and propagation of information, especially photos, was probably not that high especially if the person wants to keep away from the spotlight. How many sons/daughters of famous people would you recognise on the street if they are not famous themselves? :p

Not saying that this is the case with the third son, mind you, but it could make sense that he's not widely recognised.

Anyway thoughts on Umbrella's story mode! Y'all better stop reading now if you haven't played it yet.

- I really like it overall. Great character building for the characters that interacted with Umbrella's story, including Filia, Bella, Beo, PW, and of course Para. Huge kudos to the writers

- I love the dialogue especially with Beo and PW. Umbrella was so savage with Beo I kinda feel bad for him

- Bella's ignorance about Vitale's involvement with the Medici is interesting but not surprising. I think it explains more why she seems to be so infatuated with him

- HUNGERN IS THE ONE HOLDING BACK UMBRELLA'S POWER HOLY SHIT

- I love how Samson is so terrified of Hungern but even more terrified of Umbrella because she can actually use Hungern without dying

- On the note of Samson, there was a point where Filia suddenly effortlessly remembered Dog, and then she seemed to be in pain and forgot about it. Samson ignores the memory but ominously (imo) tell her to not try to remember. I think Samson is definitely doing something to stop Filia from remembering. Despite what we saw in SGM, he definitely still has a motive and part of it seems to be dependent on Filia not remembering her past

- I love the remixed Peacock art from her story but with ice cream instead

- PW and the Egrets getting yeeted by Marie was pretty hilarious

- HUNGERN FRIGGIN TALKS - that's extremely surprising considering what we had been previously told about Living Weapons

- Marie not even remembering why she's doing what she's doing in the first place. Tragic

- THE FLUFFY SOCK ON BUER

- The epilogue with the slumber party is nice. I think the biggest weakness with Annie's story is it kinda skipped on the part where Annie would have reconciled with Peacock and Beo. I think they took the feedback on this to heart and gave Umbrella's a good one

- FRANZ HOLY FUCKING SHIT

- Not really story-related but I'm sad that the Egrets redesign seems to be a final decision, which was expected since we saw her time-out pose. Not really something anyone can change at this point so I won't repeat my opinion about it.

- FRANZ HOLY FUCKING SHIT
You were right all along!

Personally, I loved this story mode. Especially the dialogue with Beowulf. I don't know why it fills my heart with joy.

Though, I was expecting an epic battle with Peacock over ice-cream and George's broken heart.

And I hoped there would be some speaking roles to other Egrets. Especially Roxie, who only got a brief mention and didn't even appear. But this Adam is a meme material.

Overall, this story mode made me want even more story modes. Especially with the post-credits like these.

I'm trying to think if there's a skullgirls character who is less prominent than roxie. I think she's the only IGG character that has no dialogue thus far between both Skullgirls and Skullgirls Mobile.
I think about Scythana. She only appeared once, and with no dialogue at all.

You were right all along!
Rule of cool wins again

Personally, I loved this story mode. Especially the dialogue with Beowulf. I don't know why it fills my heart with joy.

Though, I was expecting an epic battle with Peacock over ice-cream and George's broken heart.
Yeah I was expecting a Peacock fight lol.

And I hoped there would be some speaking roles to other Egrets. Especially Roxie, who only got a brief mention and didn't even appear. But this Adam is a meme material.

Overall, this story mode made me want even more story modes. Especially with the post-credits like these.
I'm pretty happy with the 2 DLC story modes so far and looking forward to more from the team.

I think about Scythana. She only appeared once, and with no dialogue at all.
Yeah those 2 are probably about tied up. I guess there is also "Evil" Samson who is an alternate universe Samson which never appeared, if you don't count regular Samson who is one of the main characters.

Umbrella's story mode makes me even more happy that the Egrets were not implemented in her playstyle.
Otherwise, that would be weird. Especially the fight with Parasoul, like it's already not weird enough, that's she's throwing a bunch of soldiers at her sister.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
Finally, I got what that old sketch of headless Franz meant.
Indeed!
franz.jpg
Flame-head Franz! How does one talk with no mouth?
From the final moments shown in Parasoul's orgin story (SGM), we saw Skullgirl Nancy send Tod at Franz's neck as he fired Eroberung at her. It seemed like they destroyed each other, but something supernatural has happened to the Canopy Kingdom king. Is turning your body into energy the price for using the "conquest" living weapon? Or is this an effect of the "death" living weapon?

This Umbrella story mode raising all kinds of interesting questions on the nature of living weapons. Especially Hungern's lethal life energy drain just by being near it.

Hyped to see this story mode fully-voiced!

Flame-head Franz! How does one talk with no mouth?
I wonder how does he eat?

This Umbrella story mode raising all kinds of interesting questions on the nature of living weapons
Too intriguing to ignore.
For now, it feels like Krieg is the "safest" one of the Renoir family umbrellas. The alternatives are pretty horrifying.

Especially Hungern's lethal life energy drain just by being near it.
Well, it was stated that he's different from the other family umbrellas. Maybe that's the main difference that was implied before.

Hyped to see this story mode fully-voiced!
Can't wait to hear Beowulf once again. Really, this scene is amazing.

From the final moments shown in Parasoul's orgin story (SGM), we saw Skullgirl Nancy send Tod at Franz's neck as he fired Eroberung at her. It seemed like they destroyed each other, but something supernatural has happened to the Canopy Kingdom king. Is turning your body into energy the price for using the "conquest" living weapon? Or is this an effect of the "death" living weapon?
In the olden lore, it was him drawing too much power from the Black Tree that was embedded in his head that caused it to explode, but also the power of the Black Tree that keeps him alive.

With the current lore, the destruction of his head does seem to be the result of getting stabbed in the head with the Death umbrella yeah. The force keeping him alive is a mystery. I doubt the Black Tree is still in play, so my best guess would be something to do with the Death umbrella - it being the Death umbrella would make the most sense as having some sort of power to starve off death, but who knows.

This Umbrella story mode raising all kinds of interesting questions on the nature of living weapons. Especially Hungern's lethal life energy drain just by being near it.
Yeah it shattered the old assumption that Living Weapons are only minimally sentient. Regarding the energy drain though, I have always assumed Living Weapons, like their presumed cousins Parasites, probably need an energy source to function, and them drawing magical energy from the user would make the most sense. I think Hungern is just special in the massive amount of energy it drains from the user and others around him, but all Living Weapons probably do it to a certain extent.

The real question is what does he eat? theonite? ice cream?
His dialogue possibly indicates, that he eats normal human food.
How.
Or something else, that Hungern also eats.

The fact that Umbrella didn't make a wish in her story makes me very worried that she will in the True Ending.

The fact that Umbrella didn't make a wish in her story makes me very worried that she will in the True Ending.
I'm kind of suspicious that Umbrella and Carol are completely fine after fighting the Skullheart.
Need this thing explained, sure.

The way I understand it is that Umbrella's connection to the Skull Heart is so strong that she acts like a lightning rod for Skullgirl energy; it was also the reason why she was messing up the Egrets and Lab 0's Theonite detectors. Because of Umbrella's presence, the energy that would affect Painwheel in the other stories didn't affect her as much.

After the Skull Heart was destroyed, the latent Skullgirl energy that affected Umbrella could be controlled by Hungern's absorption again. So everything ended up well... for now.

• Wow
Reactions: Holy Goose
So here's something fun and interesting: MadWolfDead from Discord and I looked at the scribbles for the noises that Hungern makes, and it turns out it's not just gibberish but is fully translatable into English. This means that Hungern is actually speaking throughout the whole story if you understand what he's saying.

hungerspeak.png

This is the full translation key prepared by MadWolfDead:

If you wanna play the story again and follow along with what Hungern was saying, here are just the translation for (I think) all the phases he said in the story:

hungernese.png

Pen Stroke, the dev who (from what I understand) is the lead writer is one of the writers on this story confirmed all the above translation as correct. The translation key is still missing a few alphabet characters since they didn't appear in his dialogue in this story. Maybe in the future, if we get more dialogue from Hungern we could create a full alphabet for his script.

On that note, he also mentioned "Eyes cream" has some certain meaning to it (rather than just being a pun on ice cream of course). Can anyone guess what it is? I know I couldn't figure it out lol.

Last edited:
I really liked these new story modes and I can't wait for more!

Damn, I didn't know Skullgirls Mobile was expanding the story too. Is there a summary I can read somewhere?

Parasoul, Umbrella, Fillia and Painwheel bonding by the end of the story took me a bit by surprise, but I'm very happy with it. Samson still looks suspicious.
I remember that old concept of a giant Samson as a playable character. Probably more of a sub-boss someday? lol I wonder if that form could still be in Samson's future.

I don't know if the plans for the "true story mode" are still on track; but it seems like we're ticking all the boxes so far. Next is Black Dahlia. I suppose Marie is gonna follow after Dahlia.

Then there's the 5th character. I remember it was mentioned that it'd happen if the season pass does well, and to me it looks like it did? But I don't know if this character is still happening.

Reactions: Cal
Damn, I didn't know Skullgirls Mobile was expanding the story too. Is there a summary I can read somewhere?
You could see a short summary of it on Brawlitup99's timeline thread:

But I recommend just checking them out yourself since they are not very long. You could look on YouTube for the cutscenes for the Origin Stories or something, or you could play the game which is free to download.

Then there's the 5th character. I remember it was mentioned that it'd happen if the season pass does well, and to me it looks like it did? But I don't know if this character is still happening.
It has never been mentioned again since the original announcement, so while it's not de-confirmed, I would not hold my breath for it.

It has never been mentioned again since the original announcement, so while it's not de-confirmed, I would not hold my breath for it.
Well, they are still working on the second DLC character. Might be a bit too early to think about a probability of having a fifth one.

Well, they are still working on the second DLC character. Might be a bit too early to think about a probability of having a fifth one.
Yeah, they also mentioned that the possibility of the 5th character hinges on how well Season 1 does financially, so they likely have to wait till later in the product cycle before they can make a decision based on that.

Oh my, is there Todd with him?
Once again, I remember the concept art of the king. With Todd.
I wonder what happened to Eroberung.

Oh my, is there Todd with him?
Once again, I remember the concept art of the king. With Todd.
I wonder what happened to Eroberung.
I would wager that Eroberung was destroyed while trying to bury Skullgirl Nancy. Coming full-circle on Franz's concept art is great, though.

Last edited:
I would wager that Eroberung was destroyed while trying to bury Skullgirl Nancy. Coming full-circle on Franz's concept art is great, though.
Oh maybe Todd, being the umbrella of death, somehow keeps the king alive?
We need to know more. Way more.

By the way, are there any other changes in the story mode?

I don't really have any proof for it but I don't think so. Eroberung is probably a lot more sturdy than fleshy King Franz and most of the King survived Nancy's last attack. I'm sure Eroberung is probably fine. As the devs have stated, Eroberung is just not commonly used because of how destructive it is; they probably put it back in the Renoirs' vault after defeating Queen Nancy.

FQaPkOWXIAUNMXx.png

What's the deep lore on the (literal) skullgirl?

I know it resembles the game's old logo.
1588998548997.png

Reactions: BallotBoxer
What's the deep lore on the (literal) skullgirl?
It appeared several times in sketches and such. No idea what the lore is supposed to be. I thought it was supposed to appear in Umbrella's story or something but I guess not.

5575797098_88c115a5ca_c.jpg

5596742620_95b1c1cd62_c.jpg

Interestingly, it appears in the Digital Art Compendium in Double's folder. Makes you think.

double.png

Interestingly, it appears in the Digital Art Compendium in Double's folder. Makes you think.
That Double was this literal Skullgirl all along?

That Double was this literal Skullgirl all along?
I kinda assume that Double is a Skullgirl.
1615168038594.png

She has those eyes, y'know. There might be a lot of complications going on in the relationship between The Mother, Lamia, Double and the Skull Heart.

Last edited:
She has those eyes, y'know. There might be a lot of complications going on in the relationship between The Mother, Lamia, Double and the Skull Heart.
I hope, one day we'll get the explanation of their tangled "family tree".

Reactions: Corridor89
Yeah, it's definitely a hint of things to come. Interestingly, the skull that appears inside Skullgirls' eyes are split over their 2 eyes, while in Double's(?) eye it is inside of 1 single eye.

catacombs09.dxt1.png

Where do Annie's space powers come from?
From her IGG profile:

Annie is a seasoned fighter who has been around for a long time, acquiring many skills and powers along the way. Her sword is forged from a meteorite and can channel the power of the stars in its sweeping cleaves. Her right eye bonds her to her Remote Parasite and partner, Sagan, who grants her powers of a galactic motif. While some of her abilities carry more of a sparkly magical girl motif, Annie tries to execute them with the same sternness.
So her space powers are both from her weapon and Sagan, and it's not really super clear which power is from where honestly.

Having said that, Sagan seems to be the one that creates new swords for her so maybe it's all Sagan.

12_annie_1p.png

As for the literal Skullgirl doll thing that appears in Double and Umbrella's folders being discussed a few posts ago, it seems it is like Scribble Cat, a random extra.

Here is someone on Reddit being confused by its random appearance:
It was in the patch notes when it was added in the Beta so someone on Reddit clearly hasn't been reading them lol. It spawns randomly on her air throws.

(Not that I can criticise because I keep missing things in the patch notes as well)

I wonder if Cerebella's mother was familiar with the Medici. Or at least, I wonder what prompted Vitale to adopt(?) Cerebella.

Or at least, I wonder what prompted Vitale to adopt(?) Cerebella.
I suppose, she's not officially adopted. He just keeps her close.
Cerebella's Origin Story in SGM shines some light upon this issue. She's useful to Vitale because of her devotion to him. Also, Vice-Versa.

We really do need to know more about Cerebella's family. There's no information at all, outside some very occasional comments from the devs.

Reactions: Cal
I suppose, she's not officially adopted. He just keeps her close.
Cerebella's Origin Story in SGM shines some light upon this issue. She's useful to Vitale because of her devotion to him. Also, Vice-Versa.

We really do need to know more about Cerebella's family. There's no information at all, outside some very occasional comments from the devs.
I think it's interesting that Cerebella's mom did show up in the splash art for Filia's mobile story. Was it implying that Samson knew her?