• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Valentine Combo Thread

Noob here.

Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question and I'm just doing something stupid
But in Camail's combo
The undizzy starts accumulating at the first air string:

j.hp, cr.hp,
j.hp AD, j.mp(2), j.hp <-- right here, starting with the first j.HP
j.mk, j.hp
j.lp, j.mp(1), j.hp
s.hk(2) xx lk bypass
s.lp(3),s.mp, s.hp xx hk bypass
cr.lk(2), s.mp(2), cr.mk, s.hp xx hk bypass xx ekg flatliner

So when I land the s.LP after the LK Bypass, it becomes a green impact burst because I reached the undizzy limit. I'm playing on the PC on the full version, not the Endless Beta.
Is this a bug or am I just doing it wrong?

can i ask why people don't do st. mk instead of cr. mk? I actually think st. mk does a bit more damage or does it really screw up with scaling? (note i'm really bad with val combos and my standard damaging combo will make most of you laugh)

• s.mk
    • 672 total damage
    • Scales with itself
    • 5 hits
      • First hit deals 400
      • Other four hits deals 75 each without scaling.
        • 75 > 75 > 65 > 57 while scaling if the first hit landed. 75 > 75 > 75 > 65 if only the last four hits.
    • Whiff on some crouched opponents if not near enough
  • c.mk
    • 700 total damage
    • Doesn't scale with itself
    • 2 hits
      • Both dealing 350 each
        • First hit is low, second is mid
I did the same combo twice, only changing the c.mk to s.mk on the second time. It dealt the exact same damage. Doesn't matter which you use if it's the end of a combo, but I'd go with c.mk because seems safer, hits low (if you drop the combo) and connects with both her heavies.

So when I land the s.LP after the LK Bypass, it becomes a green impact burst because I reached the undizzy limit.

It's a Heavy Counter Hit combo, meaning it's a combo that only works if you land a heavy attack on an opponent during the startup, active, or recovery parts of their move. When you get a counter hit, you get extra undizzy. If they flash red, it's a counter hit. You can turn "Force Counter Hit" on in the Training mode menu.

It's a Heavy Counter Hit combo, meaning it's a combo that only works if you land a heavy attack on an opponent during the startup, active, or recovery parts of their move. When you get a counter hit, you get extra undizzy. If they flash red, it's a counter hit. You can turn "Force Counter Hit" on in the Training mode menu.

Oh, okay. Thank you!

I'm just glad we can work it out man.

But I've always done cr.mk because stand mk does not link into stand fierce unless i forgo the extra hits. It would force me to use stand roundhouse which with all 3 hits is more damage than stand fierce but won't let me get the Hk.Savage bypass at the end of combos so it nets less damage.

The rule of thumb for hit confirms is to give yourself as much time to react and do so with the least hits, as far as optimal damage goes it's a battle against scaling. Some combos will happen to still be equivalent, the extra damage fromt he st.mk will blance out the extra scaling from the increased number of hits, but you risk the chance of that scaling overpowering the additional damage, which isn't difficult to do in 15 hits.

There is also the likely hood that s.mk will hit awkwardly if the opponent is too close or crouching, cr.mk will hit consistently in a lot more situations. The hit box on st.mk is rather weird, and cr.mk covers most of your needs. There are some situations where you want to use s.mk, if they are at the perfect distance (around where the cross fully extends) and they are a bit above the ground, you can react to the situation and alter your combo (whether its as a hit confirm or in the middle of an improv/unconventional combo).

Reactions: agent13
I'd say the Valentine steam guide that some of us in the Oceanic community are working on is around 70% complete, maybe.

What happened to the TK Bypass corner carry double snap combo? Was it too impractical/hard to do in a real match so everyone gave up?

its either the doublesnap change that happened not too long ago, or its that the corner carry only works when you got 2 light characters

i try to use it though, its just that i never get 2 characters that are the same weight class in a combo

It doesn't work anymore, all midscreen doublesnaps have been removed.

It doesn't work anymore, all midscreen doublesnaps have been removed.
thats why its a corner carry first, and double snap second, you just need the camera to stop at the corner and it'll work

Well te only one I ever knew about was the double snap tk bypass air scalpels otg.

There really is no need to use bypass as a corner carry because valentine is kinda the best at corner carrying anyway, and her j.hk is amazing at keeping assists in combos. It seems like it would be more effective to do a normal combo.

This deals ~7045k damage in a 1.0 scaling.

Has anyone found a combo for val off cr.lk that breaks 7k without vials yet in a 1.0 damage ratio?

here is one for inspiration if anyone cares: (tested on lights, carries to corner, ground chain must end in corner)
cr.lk, cr.mk (1), cr.hp, j.hp, j.hk, AD j.mp (2-3), j.hk, land, j.lp, (delay) j.mp, s.lp (3), s.mp, cr.mk, mk bypass, s.lk, s.mp, cr.mk, s.hp, hk bypass, EKG flatliner = ~7050 in 1v1

Edit: works on everyone, tightest timing on squiggly

Last edited:
I was thinkin' lately, about the lag poison, its really really hard to apply it in a situation in which it will be equally or more beneficial than damage poison. So I thought the only way to make it worth, is to apply it in the corner and then proceed to mixup as much as possible to get those unscaled "free" hits in. Sounds great, actually, but in reality, this loses to any mashed out super, and I dont know why you wouldnt mash super in that situation.

So what if the lag poison were changed so that it applies a little less lag, but makes it so that it prevents the opponent from using supers for the duration. (that would mean that level 3 lag poison would also be removable by a normal hit)

whatcha think, too much? or a reasonable idea?

Would give some use to it, yes. I don't think it'd be waaaaaay used, but I don't know. Only applying it to the beta to see.

But then characters without reversals wouldn't be able to escape. In a Val mirror, I'd just keep doing throw resets that you'd have trouble escaping from because of the input lag and lack of ways to escape.

I had pretty much the same idea with the input lag. My idea was that level 1 disables assist, raw tag, and alpha counter, level 2 would disable specials and level 3 would disable supers. The main point of this is so that people would start respecting your resets

But then characters without reversals wouldn't be able to escape. In a Val mirror, I'd just keep doing throw resets that you'd have trouble escaping from because of the input lag and lack of ways to escape.
well, yeah, true
what if we'd remove the lag completely and just add what mpgame99 says, disabling certain moves, it only forces them to block correctly (on the other hand, some mixups might get really good then)

Well aside from the fact that this is a combo thread...

Not only is disabling defensive tools not a smart idea, its also not a fun idea. You are trying to put a mechanic in the game that makes it more linear and less complex. Poison is fine the way it is, your efforts would be more useful if they were use on figuring out how to use the various vials instead of trying to change the game.

well, I do spend most of my time in training mode these days figuring out what to do with lag poison, but anything I find that is remotely helpful is easily outclassed by the same level of damage poison in every way

also it was just an idea

[No Video] Beginner Bnb- Universal, vialess, ~5.6k
cr.lk, cr.mk, cr.hp
j.hp, ad, j.mp (3), j.hk
j.lp, j.mp (3), j.hk
s.lp,s.mp(1), s.hp xx HK Bypass xx EKG Flatliner
yo whats with this combo

should be ending with s.hk x3 bypass flatliner

so they can choose to end with s.hk if they dont want to kill and want oki

here's my deviation:

c.lk, c.mk, c.hp
j.hp, adf, j.mp (3), j.hk
j.lp, j.mp (2), j.hk
adf j.lk j.mp
s.lp s.mp s.mk s.hk(3)

I did the adf j.lk j.mp because they kept falling out of s.mp

so i just picked up valentine, is this combo alright as a beginner combo? I tried learning Nuuance's from the front page but i'm not consistent yet, but this ghetto version of his I get almost 100 percent:

c.lk c.mk (1) c.hp
jump j.hp adc j.mp (2) j.hp
land then
j.lp j.mp (1) j.hk adc j.mk j.hk dash lp (3) mp hk (3) 236 hk kick super

Doesn't work on lightweights. The j.hk xx j.mk j.hk pushes them so high that you can air grab them after.
Works ok on heavies. You could add s.mk or c.mk (doesn't really matter, since it's a heavyweight combo) between s.mp(x2) and s.hk(x3).

oh, what would i have to do to get it to work on lightweights?

Solo - Midscreen - Lights only - ~6.3k - No vial
c.lk c.mk(1) c.hp
j.hp ADC j.mp (1) j.hp
j.lp j.mp (1) j.hp ADC j.mk
s.lp (x3) s.mp (x2) s.mk s.hk (x3) xx HK Bypass xx EKG
If you add s.lk after the s.lp(x3), it'll deal 6404 damage if you do it right.
Delay the j.mk a little, or else it's kinda hard to connect. Has weird timing, but works right.
I suggest you to learn both a heavy and a light combo. Relying on universal is not something I recommend. Also, having different combos will teach more about the character.

oh yeah, i know you need to have weight specific combos. i had gotten (at least i thought, maybe i did a different string) my above combo to work once on a light and i couldn't quite get it to do it again.

i just got this one down in like 5 min, thanks bro.

now onto vial and corner combos!

This combo is kinda weird but it works on nearly everyone

6.9 and it's a simple corner combo

jp. hp
st. lp x3, st. mp x2, st. mk, st. hk x2, vial
st. lp x3, st. mp x2, st. mk, cr. hp, j. lp, j. mp, j.hp, air dash into j.mk, j.hk, lk. bypass into ekg flatliner

I don't play this character or this team.

should be ending with s.hk x3 bypass flatliner

so they can choose to end with s.hk if they dont want to kill and want oki

You make the decision at the c.MK/s.MP whatever, to chain into either s.HP xx HK Flatliner for damage, or HK HK HK for oki.

@gllt The low damage competition hasn't started for Val yet

Reactions: gllt
true

but you also have to consider that it's labelled as a beginner combo. So either there should be a note stating what to do in what situation or just go with hk(3) as most of the time you want oki.

Tried to do some combos with an "instant overhead" line of thought, but it turns out Val's instant overhead sucks balls.
8k damage, tho.
[av]http://a.pomf.se/bktjgd.webm[/av]

Reactions: Hilary
Tried to do some combos with an "instant overhead" line of thought, but it turns out Val's instant overhead sucks balls.
8k damage, tho.
[av]http://a.pomf.se/bktjgd.webm[/av]

backdash double-jump(9) jLP jHP will string and allow for conversion.

Just tested here another thing.
j.lp j.hp j.hk work on crouched BB and standing Double. 8.5k damage.