• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Who do you think DLC characters 3 and 4 will be?

Maybe this is a way they could show their support to their fans by adding her to Skullgirls. Since future DLC was cancelled in Indivisible. I know it costs money and time to develop a character. This would be giving back to the fans. I too was looking forward to the future DLC and I was only left with getting Ramzi's Challenges. I followed and was waiting on that game for YEARS to be released. I know there's some issues with the companies, that shouldn't keep them from adding a cool guest character. It seems the issue is with what happened and not whether the character fits and would be wanted in Skullgirls. I do understand that everyone needed to let things settle. I love the forum relaunch and it looks like it's cleared up some. If everyone has a moment please take the poll.

I have a fun poll to check interest.

ADD Ajna as Skullgirls * 5th DLC Character * POLL​

https://skullheart.com/threads/devs...d-ajna-as-skullgirls-5th-dlc-character.11627/

Thanks all,

"Go team Ajna!"​

View attachment 15703
View attachment 15704
They do not own the rights to Indivisible. This is not legally possible afaik.

Reactions: Holy Goose
You know how EVO is a big opportunity for fighting games announcements? Anyone else hope to see an Umbrella work-in-progress trailer with a Marie hint at the end?
I can see the something like the Umbrella alpha being announced or launched around EVO but I don't think they will announce the next character so early; I doubt we will hear about them till around the end of the year. Although if everything goes according to plan, we'll get 2 characters announced at the same time so we can vote on which one will be made/released first.

Reactions: Mfinite and tso
You know how EVO is a big opportunity for fighting games announcements? Anyone else hope to see an Umbrella work-in-progress trailer with a Marie hint at the end?
Umbrella will most likely be released after EVO (lines up with the SGM promo code: TWOWEEKS that was shown at the Summer Blockbuster). There will not be a hint on the next character til her release though (based on how umbrella was announced during annie's development).

well my first and most obvious pick for slot 3 is marie as for the 4 slot maybe it could be aeon or venus or even a new male character

I guess I'm gonna try to bump this thread now that Black Dahlia has been announced. How's everybody's guess for the 4th character in light of the 3rd character being announced? Any change since your last guess?

I originally thought that it would have made sense if they waited until Season 2 to release Marie, but the more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense that Marie would be the last character in this season. I think the combination of prior work done, lore importance, and popularity is just too strong for her to not make it. Not to mention that this year is SG's 10th Anniversary, so if all the characters who had always been planned to be in the original set of DLCs would finally be included, that would be pretty great.

I guess I'm gonna try to bump this thread now that Black Dahlia has been announced. How's everybody's guess for the 4th character in light of the 3rd character being announced? Any change since your last guess?

I originally thought that it would have made sense if they waited until Season 2 to release Marie, but the more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense that Marie would be the last character in this season. I think the combination of prior work done, lore importance, and popularity is just too strong for her to not make it. Not to mention that this year is SG's 10th Anniversary, so if all the characters who had always been planned to be in the original set of DLCs would finally be included, that would be pretty great.
Out of curiosity, why did you think they’d wait until Season 2 to release Marie? If anything, she feels like technically the least likely character for a season 2 simply because the only reason they wouldn’t add her in the first season is if they made a conscious decision not to add her at all for some reason.

Out of curiosity, why did you think they’d wait until Season 2 to release Marie? If anything, she feels like technically the least likely character for a season 2 simply because the only reason they wouldn’t add her in the first season is if they made a conscious decision not to add her at all for some reason.
My logic at the time is she's a really popular and important character and using her as the "flagship" character to sell Season 2 would make sense.

At the time I also thought Season 2 is a given since the existence of a "Season 1" would seem to imply a Season 2, but the more I think about it and with newer information (especially Future Club's statement that their current work on Skullgirls is "just a gig" until they can develop their own IP), it seems increasingly less likely that a Season 2 is guaranteed. In that case it makes sense to just go ahead and push out Marie in Season 1.

For me, Marie and my boy The Skeleton was a pretty obvious candidate since the Season Pass announcement. It would be a huge missed opportunity not to implement her.

On the other hand, the fifth character is a huge mystery. We don't even know if it's going to happen at all. Speculation can run wild with this one.

it seems increasingly less likely that a Season 2 is guaranteed
Now that's heartbreaking.
But I have a huge believe in SGM bringing (and getting) some new content.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
Speaking of Season 2, if it does happen eventually, then I think I have a pretty good idea of who will be in it, assuming none of them are in Season 1 as a fifth character or something.

Personally I think a hypothetical Season 2 would have (in no particular order) Minette, Panzerfaust, Feng, and Brain Drain. All four of them are pretty popular, and three of them (Minette, Feng, and Brain Drain) were used in the joke "leaks" leading up to Dahlia's reveal, so they're at least acknowledging them as still being potential DLC, while Panzerfaust has shown up a lot in stuff like character art and story mode art lately (along with appearing in multiple mobile game story modes). Also, with how many circus and Egret characters were potentially playable I think they'd have at least one of each of them eventually, and those two are the most popular among them (Molly is also pretty popular so it may also be her potentially, though I think Panzerfaust is a bit more likely). And of course those four would cover a pretty good variety of playstyles too.

For me, Marie and my boy The Skeleton was a pretty obvious candidate since the Season Pass announcement. It would be a huge missed opportunity not to implement her.

On the other hand, the fifth character is a huge mystery. We don't even know if it's going to happen at all. Speculation can run wild with this one.
Lol I'd like to think the possibility is there but I would not be expecting it. If we do get it it would be a pleasant surprise.

Now that's heartbreaking.
But I have a huge believe in SGM bringing (and getting) some new content.
Yeah I do believe HVS being in charge of SGM gives them an incentive to keep updating with new characters into the future, but for now I'm not sure how realistic it is for FC to keep working on SG. They are a pretty small company and if they wanna launch a new project, I don't know if they would be able to do both that and SG DLC development at the same time. Like we saw that when LZ started working on Indivisible, practically no development was happening for SG. There are probably other options but I will probably remain cautiously optimistic for now.

Speaking of Season 2, if it does happen eventually, then I think I have a pretty good idea of who will be in it, assuming none of them are in Season 1 as a fifth character or something.

Personally I think a hypothetical Season 2 would have (in no particular order) Minette, Panzerfaust, Feng, and Brain Drain. All four of them are pretty popular, and three of them (Minette, Feng, and Brain Drain) were used in the joke "leaks" leading up to Dahlia's reveal, so they're at least acknowledging them as still being potential DLC, while Panzerfaust has shown up a lot in stuff like character art and story mode art lately (along with appearing in multiple mobile game story modes). Also, with how many circus and Egret characters were potentially playable I think they'd have at least one of each of them eventually, and those two are the most popular among them (Molly is also pretty popular so it may also be her potentially, though I think Panzerfaust is a bit more likely). And of course those four would cover a pretty good variety of playstyles too.
Yeah I think that is a pretty good list. Out of all the Egrets, Panzer is definitely is most popular. Although unfortunately I also think gameplay design-wise he is the most boring lol. But at least being a straightforward character would make it easier to develop his moves and gives more freedom to the devs to add new unique mechanics I guess.

Out of all the circus characters I also agree on Feng. She's definitely the most popular and I think her mechanics are unique enough. Probably another possibility is Taliesin but there would be challenges in implementing him, especially having to animate Muse as a separate puppet.

Brain Drain is cool and would add another much-needed villain to the roster. My own reservation with him though is I really still don't see how his mind control gimmick is gonna work.

Popularity-wise Minette would seem to be pretty much a shoo-in, although I wonder if is she really as popular in 2022 as she was in 2013. I really don't hear people going on much about her these days. Doesn't help that she hasn't appeared in SGM at all.

Another good possibility I think could be thrown into the mix is Venus. She's very popular, got a lot of cool concepts and seems relatively straightforward. Probably her biggest hurdle is lore.

Out of all the Egrets, Panzer is definitely is most popular. Although unfortunately I also think gameplay design-wise he is the most boring lol.
Kind of sad, really. But maybe that's exactly the point.
Still, the other Egrets have very interesting gameplay ideas and gimmicks.
Justice for Roxie, I say.

Out of all the circus characters I also agree on Feng. She's definitely the most popular and I think her mechanics are unique enough.
I hope she'll make it in, her proposed playstyle sounds like fun. And she feels pretty unique. I'm not even talking about story mode possibilities.

Brain Drain is cool and would add another much-needed villain to the roster. My own reservation with him though is I really still don't see how his mind control gimmick is gonna work.
Brain Drain is ought to become playable one day. Even if for the sake of the story.

I hope Stanley will make it in. He has a lot of potential, and he's quite popular too. I see Holodeck Hazards in SGM as a sign.

Panzerfaust has shown up a lot in stuff like character art and story mode art lately (along with appearing in multiple mobile game story modes).
Still, not enough, judging by Umbrella's story mode. I was hoping he'll get at least one speaking line in the main game, but no...
Kind of sad, because he's definitely a character with a rich and interesting story.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
Ottomo would be neat.
Aeon cause time queen waifu.
Panzer, because tank fist daddy.
Stanley would be cool.

But the one i want most is Ileum waifu.

But the one i want most is Ileum waifu.
Yeah out of all the potential Lab 8 characters I'd like to see Ileum the most. Super interesting design and so much potential to make her attacks really brutal and disgusting. As a PW player I love that sorta things.

3242342342342343.jpg

Now obviously this wouldn't have had any actual influence on the character decisions, but just something I was thinking about the other day how on the character select screen, Annie and Umbrella were added as a new row on the bottom, and presumably Dahlia will fill the remaining spot. That just leaves the fourth remaining character (who might be the last new character for a while if they don't end up doing that bonus fifth character) by themselves at either the very top or very bottom. If it ends up being Marie, that would be a pretty fitting spot for the titular character and playable final boss. Of course this is a really minor thing and they could change the select screen if they needed to eventually, I just thought it was a bit neat to think about.

Ottomo!

I agree that Aeon and Venus should come together. I hope I get to see that day.

Reading some posts in the previous page, I saw Isaac being mentioned and he was certainly popular back in 2013. But I think his mechanics were never very clear, despite the test video:

I'm not sure how that reflects his Gameplay inspiration. I don't know if characters like Dio Brando or Sakuya Izaoi do things like the ones shown in the video (I never played those games)
BUT what I thought after watching the video again is how Isaac could work very similarly to Bedman from Guilty Gear. He's a very complex character that has a lot of mobility and pressure tools including a teleport parry (something I definitely could see Isaac using)

and I'd say his signature move are the Deja Vu seals and Tasks

More info: https://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=GGXRD/Bedman#Special_Moves

Honestly I never learned Bedman, the times I've used him I felt slow and useless lol but he certainly has effective strategies that are very entertaining to watch! I'd expect Isaac to have flashy moves and be unpredictable. However, I also think that making something like Bedman can be very challenging and it's definitely not every player's cup of tea.

I would be down for Isaac to be added to a possible Season Pass 2 in the future and after watching the video in the previous post above showcasing his mechanics, he'll definitely be an interesting addition to the roster. Also, I'm interested in seeing how Feng's birds will work if she gets in as well.

I think Isaac has a cool proposed mechanic, but it's quite complicated and I think would probably need a lot of effort and testing to get it right. And unfortunately the person who seemed to understand his proposed playstyle the most is no longer working on the game so...

I think Feng's mechanic is a lot more straightforward but is still quite interesting, so I'd like to think she has a pretty good chance, at least for the next Season if there is one.

I think Isaac has a cool proposed mechanic, but it's quite complicated and I think would probably need a lot of effort and testing to get it right. And unfortunately the person who seemed to understand his proposed playstyle the most is no longer working on the game so...
Now that you mention it, both Minette, Feng, Stanley, and Brain Drain do have a much greater shot at being added in Season 2 than Isaac because of that developer's departure. Glad to know.

I hope there's a season 2. I'd buy it the same moment it's announced lol

Now that Dahlia has been revealed, I assume the next character is Marie. Which leaves Brain Drain out for now. If his old gameplay inspiration is anything to go by, he sounds very cool and could be really fun to play. Magneto, Dr. Doom, Thanos and Demitri rolled in one character? yes!

There's just so many characters, and I love most of them. It seems Feng and Minette are still popular, but don't forget about Aeon! Sadly Ottomo seems to be very unpopular. To me he looks like one of the most intriguing characters, even his old gameplay inspiration sounds very interesting.

There's just so many characters, and I love most of them. It seems Feng and Minette are still popular, but don't forget about Aeon!
Oh, yeah. I forgot about Aeon. She seems to be pretty popular as well and her time abilites would be cool to have in Skullgirls if Isaac is unlikely to make it in.

Reactions: Caleb
Oh, yeah. I forgot about Aeon. She seems to be pretty popular as well and her time abilites would be cool to have in Skullgirls if Isaac is unlikely to make it in.
Aeon's mechanics are even more difficult to get right than Isaac's I think lol.

Aeon's mechanics are even more difficult to get right than Isaac's I think lol.
Yeah, we didn't even get a demonstration of her proposed playstyle.

I'm reading her playstale speculation and inspirations again, and while it may sound unclear in general there are some interesting points:

"Aeon’s attack themes may be similar to Double’s in that she wields hypothetical versions of characters to attack, conjured from the distorted reflections on her hourglass. She may use figures from the past, characters that have not been seen yet, and alternate versions of the cast including ones where they have become the next Skullgirl."

Well, one of her inspirations is Double. The last bit is interesting since we now have Skullgirl Umbrella (palette+voice pack) ^_^
To differentiate this from Double, I guess these figures could use skull projectiles, shadows and other stuff similar to what Marie has.

"Her own attacks would be themed after sand, glass, and Khronos’s serpentine incarnation with animations that don’t always flow forward."

MK11 didn't exist back in 2013 but after reading this I believe Geras could be a perfect inspiration for her gameplay.

Sand and time manipulation!
He can do some pretty crazy combos.

"She may be able to capture moments on the battlefield to unleash later, like a bubble in time containing all attacks executed within its bounds."

Now this sounds very complex, but I think something similar can be done by taking inspiration from both Geras and Bedman.
I can see it working as a mix of Deja Vu/Tasks (Bedman) and stuff like Reverse Time/Stepping it Back (Geras)

"Then there is the usual slew of abilities to consider like rewinding time, slowing it down, and stopping it."

Izanami:

---

Just like with Isaac's inspirations, I don't know about Dio Brando and Sakuya Izayoi lol
I think Aeon's playstyle sounded more ambiguous than Isaac's due to some of her inspirations being Omega Tom Hanks and general things like Super Time Force, Prince of Persia, Hounds of Tindalos, etc. where it's not very clear exactly what elements would be taken from them to apply on her own gameplay.

But if I think "ok, this character plays like a mix of Double, Bedman, Geras and Izanami", I can see it more clearly.

The thing is... I think these characters didn't exist back then when we were voting for the DLC characters.
Geras (MK11 - 2019)
Bedman (Guilty Gear Xrd - 2014 onwards)
Izanami (BlazBlue Central Fiction - 2015)

We could say Aeon was ahead of her time :PUN:

Last edited:
We could say Aeon was ahead of her time
Isn't that, like, her thing? :PUN:

She may use figures from the past, characters that have not been seen yet, and alternate versions of the cast including ones where they have become the next Skullgirl.
Yay, chance to implement the Alternate Samson idea.

I would like to speculate about this idea from a point of the story. For example, how the other cast is going to beat a set of them as the Skullgirls from the alternate timelines?

But if I think "ok, this character plays like a mix of Double, Bedman, Geras and Izanami", I can see it more clearly.
Surprisingly, yes. Not so much, but still counts.

Just like with Isaac's inspirations, I don't know about Dio Brando and Sakuya Izayoi lol
The Dio inspiration I'm pretty sure would be something like his famous "Toki wo tomare" move, where he stops time, set up dagger throws and drop a friggin road roller on the enemy, which is also referenced by Peacock:

His Stand also has the ability to stop time so in general you can see how his attacks could inspire Aeon

As for Sakuya from Touhou, she has the ability to stop time and, errr.... set up dagger throws. So basically just a rip-off of Dio's powers lol.

I think Aeon's playstyle sounded more ambiguous than Isaac's due to some of her inspirations being Omega Tom Hanks and general things like Super Time Force, Prince of Persia, Hounds of Tindalos, etc. where it's not very clear exactly what elements would be taken from them to apply on her own gameplay.
Yeah I was referring specifically to the things like "she can record combos and play them back" and other mechanics that are supposed to use GGPO save states. It's super vague and I honestly don't see how that's gonna work well and be balanced in actual gameplay.

They could end up dropping the idea altogether, and I think her other inspirations are definitely strong enough to carry the character, but it would be a bit disappointing if she doesn't get the innovative save-state-based mechanics that were considered. (Like how Eliza voters were disappointed she didn't get her blood mechanics in the end, even if the release version was a decent character design. Just didn't have the same wow factor.)

Just remembered that SGM has a variant of Fukua, who has a time-stopping special ability. It's kind of passive, but I think it counts.
So, she didn't just "stole" Umbrella's place in the roster. She outdid the Goddess of Time herself!
Makes a fellow proud to be a Fukua player :PUN:

• Wow
Reactions: Caleb
Yeah I was referring specifically to the things like "she can record combos and play them back" and other mechanics that are supposed to use GGPO save states. It's super vague and I honestly don't see how that's gonna work well and be balanced in actual gameplay.

They could end up dropping the idea altogether, and I think her other inspirations are definitely strong enough to carry the character, but it would be a bit disappointing if she doesn't get the innovative save-state-based mechanics that were considered. (Like how Eliza voters were disappointed she didn't get her blood mechanics in the end, even if the release version was a decent character design. Just didn't have the same wow factor.)

Absolutely. I was thinking that the things Geras and Bedman do look more "realistic" (as a gameplay implementation I mean) than some of the stuff mentioned in Aeon's gameplay speculation. While it's not exactly the same thing, it's an aproximation that's probably more doable.

It's true what you say about Eliza. I remember they tried to implement her blood mechanic but it seemed like it never worked as expected. To me it wasn't a big loss, honestly. I appreciate the effort, but in the end Eliza turned out amazing from a gameplay perspective anyway. She's fun to use, has a good amount of tools and hits really hard!

Is it me or do I feel like Minette might end up being chosen over Marie as Season 1's last character? I feel like Marie has an 80% chance of being added, judging by the DLC voting results from the game's early days, while Minette, Panzerfaust, or Aeon still have a shot.

Last edited:
Is it me or do I feel like Minette might end up being chosen over Marie as Season 1's last character? I feel like Marie has an 80% chance of being added, judging by the DLC voting results from the game's early days, while Minette, Panzerfaust, or Aeon still have a shot.
It's not impossible but Marie definitely has the better chance I'd think. I don't think Minette is as popular as she was in 2013 to be honest.

It's not impossible but Marie definitely has the better chance I'd think. I don't think Minette is as popular as she was in 2013 to be honest.
IMO Marie is currently #1 and Minette is #2 in terms of popularity and fanart for non-playable characters. Marie got to keep most of her popularity from the heydays because she's very relevant to the lore, whereas every other character from the fan vote went down due to the natural cycle of the game aging. Minette is still staying relatively strong because she's close to Ms Fortune, who I'd say is top 4 in popularity (In a tier with Valentine, below Squigly and Filia).

4th character is Marie and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. She's popular, she's extremely important to the lore, she was meant to be playable and she's often been used as the face of the game in official art. Also, if Minette was planned then I don't think she would've been used as one of the fakes after the Black Dahlia leak.

Top: Filia, Squigly
Top/Mid: Valentine, Ms Fortune
Mid: Cerebella, Peacock, Parasoul, Double, Eliza, Marie
Mid/Low: Painwheel, Big Band, Beowulf, Minette, Annie, Robo Fortune
Low: Umbrella, Black Dahlia, Feng
RIP: Everyone else

Fukua is decently popular, but is 100% carried by her association with Filia

I feel Minette is a definite possibility, but not over Marie.
I see a lot of people all over social media (especially the Japanese fanbase) are very excited at the prospect of Marie finally becoming playable. As well as the fact that she still gets a lot of fanart and fan animations and such that Minette doesn't really get anymore. I feel the fanbase wants Marie more than ever --- people want her to be playable and people want her to have a story mode and more interactions with the rest of the cast beyond just being the final boss of everyone else's stories.

IMO Marie is currently #1 and Minette is #2 in terms of popularity and fanart for non-playable characters. Marie got to keep most of her popularity from the heydays because she's very relevant to the lore, whereas every other character from the fan vote went down due to the natural cycle of the game aging. Minette is still staying relatively strong because she's close to Ms Fortune, who I'd say is top 4 in popularity (In a tier with Valentine, below Squigly and Filia).

4th character is Marie and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. She's popular, she's extremely important to the lore, she was meant to be playable and she's often been used as the face of the game in official art. Also, if Minette was planned then I don't think she would've been used as one of the fakes after the Black Dahlia leak.

Hmm, maybe I hadn't been looking at the right places but I feel like Feng and Panzer are getting more attention than Minette lately. I haven't looked at any hard data on that. Would be something that is interesting to see.

But yeah, apart from popularity and lore, I think Marie is definitely more likely to get in than Minette just from the fact that she has had more developed gameplay concepts, which is a trait shared by all the Season 1 characters so far.

We need a new Waifu/husbando war

We need a new Waifu/husbando war
I'm actually pretty curious to see how another vote would go now that the game is 10 years old, a lot of the most popular picks are already playable/in-development and the fanbase has changed and shifted a lot in the interim. Which characters would retain their popularity? Which characters would get more votes this time around? Which have been forgotten by time? How much attention could another vote bring to the game?

I'm actually pretty curious to see how another vote would go now that the game is 10 years old, a lot of the most popular picks are already playable/in-development and the fanbase has changed and shifted a lot in the interim. Which characters would retain their popularity? Which characters would get more votes this time around? Which have been forgotten by time? How much attention could another vote bring to the game?

I'd personally like to see a new fandom-wide poll of character popularity that isn't attached to any "reward" (i.e. not a poll where the winner would get made or whatever). The IGG character votes I think were very distorted due to all the strategic voting and just generally votes from people who barely even play the game. Would be interesting to see how popular characters actually are among players by platform (2E or SGM) and demographic.

Reactions: Caleb and Ikkisoad