• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Your own headcanon

Marie considers the Medici a cancer and removes it the same way cancer is surgically removed - along with some healthy border tissues. The logic and approach here is that it's better to remove a bit too much than a bit too little.
Well it's very stupid logic.
Well it's pretty clear Marie isn't too intelligent. Just running on her emotions.
"Better safe than sorry" logic plus "guilty by association" plus "you can't stop my wish."

Marie's heart is strong but it sure is not imune to the influence of he Skullheart. Killing people just because they are Medici and the massacre of Lab 8 were signs that the heart started to win. The thing that I put as my headcannon runs with the corruption of the Heart. If the Contiellos were a mob family with just a few innocents it is not hard for Marie accept it as cancer removal.

Oh shit, I forgot that this girl is only around 13 years old. That explains her flawed logic, not the Heart.

Remember everyone, kids are stupid unless they're Huey Freeman.

:D Haha! Good point man! We keep forgetting that a lot of the characters are still young. They sure talk big.

I think it is young stupidity plus very slow bute sure corruption, but it is an argument based on what I would find cooler so...

In Marie's defense, the massacre of Lab 8, specifically, was probably because they were building super weapons to kill her. Lab 8 was less an innocent victim in her war against the Medicis, and more of a direct result of Marie's personal preference towards not getting killed by Peacock or Big Band or what have you.

That's not really a defense, Lab 8 is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. Likewise Marie is doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing by destroying Lab 8 to protect her own life. She's a villain, that's what villains do. They kill the good guys that are trying to stop the villains from doing terrible things.

It's a sad fact that heroes might die trying to stop the villains.

In Marie's defense, the massacre of Lab 8, specifically, was probably because they were building super weapons to kill her. Lab 8 was less an innocent victim in her war against the Medicis, and more of a direct result of Marie's personal preference towards not getting killed by Peacock or Big Band or what have you.

That's not really a defense, Lab 8 is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. Likewise Marie is doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing by destroying Lab 8 to protect her own life. She's a villain, that's what villains do. They kill the good guys that are trying to stop them from doing terrible things.

And Lab 8 weapons were a prevention for Skullgirls not killing everyone as it always happened.

The whole thing is a huge tragedy. Marie wanted justice for her and the only way to do it was to doom herself to become a monster that killed thousands in the past. Among the piles of bastards that are her targets there are some innocents. Lots of people are also terrified beyond their freaking minds by the prospect of a new Skullgirl or even a Skullqueen like the last one hence Parasoul and the labs.

Ah, and this all will be served again in 7 years.

Thanks for the downer feelings Ahad. You Magnificent Evil Artist.

Ah, and this all will be served again in 7 years.
UNLESS...

Unless, Beowulf comes in and breaks the endless cycle of destruction.

I don't consider Marie's logic flawed or lacking by any means. I'd attribute her decisions and approach less to the implied foolishness and more to ruthlessness. A conscious choice to have some innocent lives on her conscience rather than risking that some not-that-evil Medicis, when left alive, may eventually rebuild the mob and make all her efforts null.

I really hope you're not in charge of deciding anyone's fate Muro.

UNLESS...

Pffft, we ALL know that Minette will save the world. She will use the Power of Friendship and excellent customer service to permanently transform the Skullheart into the Heartheart, a magic wishing heart that spreads joy and happiness to the Canopy Kingdom and beyond.

Pffft, we ALL know that Minette will save the world. She will use the Power of Friendship and excellent customer service to permanently transform the Skullheart into the Heartheart, a magic wishing heart that spreads joy and happiness to the Canopy Kingdom and beyond.
20120623193230!S1e1_gnome_throwing_up_animated.gif

I don't consider Marie's logic flawed or lacking by any means. I'd attribute her decisions and approach less to the implied foolishness and more to ruthlessness. A conscious choice to have some innocent lives on her conscience rather than risking that some not-that-evil Medicis, when left alive, may eventually rebuild the mob and make all her efforts null.

But you have got to admit, you need some cruelty to pull that out. And for necessay cruelty fall into unecessary, specially with Double and the Heart around...

But you are right, not an easy decision to make.

UNLESS...

Considering Ahad is more probable that Beowulf is secretly a villain and that Juju is hiding because she knows the truth. And now she is making a plan to assassinate him...

Or Alex may sell the writing rights to George Martin and instead he makes Juju and Beowulf fall in love and have a wedding. Meanwhile Minette turns into a cold hearted, crazy child looking for the Skullheart.

BTW. I am loving this discussion right now.

Reactions: juju_for_president
Too bad it's completely off-topic.

Yeah, but it doesn't mean it wasn't insightfull, fun and inspirational. It really was us talking to each other about something that got our attention. If there was a single thread to discuss every headcannon the site would be run-over.

*Armstrong*
It's so nice when references don't go unnoticed. But that's the point, really. Like Armstrong, Marie is a well-intentioned extremist. And it's as Muro said, she makes her choices and very likely has to live with them. We see in Squigly's story how she uses her powers to not kill everyone in New Meridian so it's fair to assume that offing the mellower Medici or anyone related isn't something she'd do lightly.

Or Alex may sell the writing rights to George Martin and instead he makes Juju and Beowulf fall in love and have a wedding. Meanwhile Minette turns into a cold hearted, crazy child looking for the Skullheart.
Minette Moeborn - The Mother of Dagons

So, when's Game of Skulls? :3

Reactions: Osmiumsmith
Well it's very stupid logic.
Put yourself in her shoes, like really really think about the horror she saw Patricia go through and what else. Take a younger relative or anyone you love, now picture them beaten, dragged through the dirt, belittled and ultimately witness their eyes being gouged out, their limbs violently removed.

She's overtaken by rage and it helps her feel better that they're a mobster ruling class. We don't know how she's struck down the Medicis; whether razing buildings full of them without concern for civilians, targeting buildings where goons and lower bosses are gathered for meetings, or what. She sees the evil they do and it reminds her of what horrors were inflicted on her and her loved ones. She's going Frank Castle on them and fighting the influence of the Skullheart, she doesn't have time to rationalize, carefully plan and pity them. It's not the best thing, but it's human. Stupid logic? Nah. That's the flawed humanity we hold when we're tortured and wronged.

Shock I don't care what happens to me or the people I love. I have a creed and I will follow that creed to my death.

I do not harm the innocent.

You know, we haven't actually ever seen Marie killing any innocent people that she didn't actually have a damn good reason for killing. The only ones we've seen her fight so far are the ones who literally come knocking on her door looking for a fight, and preemptively taking out Lab 8 so that they won't be able to stop her from fulfilling her revenge. (And from what seems to be implied in Peacock and Valentine's stories, Valentine may have been largely responsible for this, anyway.)

Marie is vengeful, yes. She's being slowly corrupted by the Heart and her personality would be subsumed by its wicked intentions, but until such time we have no evidence whatsoever that she's actually gone out of her way to kill off anyone but the mob members who were actively involved in crime, and the scientists of Lab 8.

She's become ruthless, but calling her evil is simply incorrect. Personally, I would say that her actions are extreme, but so far? Completely justified.

Reactions: Todpole and Muro
You know, we haven't actually ever seen Marie killing any innocent people that she didn't actually have a damn good reason for killing.
At the beginning of Ms. Fortune's story Roberto made a remark to Lawrence about how the skullgirl was going after Medici affiliated families in Maplecrest, a quiet little suburbia much like the one I live in.

Also before the final fight in Filia's story Marie said verbatim:

"I... only know one thing about you, Filia, and it is the only thing I need to know.
Medici blood flows through your veins...
...The blood I have sworn to spill!"

It's pretty clear what her intentions and actions are.

At the beginning of Ms. Fortune's story Roberto made a remark to Lawrence about how the skullgirl was going after Medici affiliated families in Maplecrest, a quiet little suburbia much like the one I live in.

Also before the final fight in Filia's story Marie said verbatim:

"I... only know one thing about you, Filia, and it is the only thing I need to know.
Medici blood flows through your veins...
...The blood I have sworn to spill!"

It's pretty clear what her intentions and actions are.

Fair enough.

...Eh, still justified. Honestly, I'm cool with cutting her a little slack.

Shock I don't care what happens to me or the people I love. I have a creed and I will follow that creed to my death.

I do not harm the innocent.
I get that and I'm not justifying what she's doing, I'm just saying, of all that she's killed, do we know they're innocent, and at the end of the day, does she care? We're emotional beings, what she did can be seen as berserk behaviour, but I can see where she's coming from, plus she literally has an evil force in her saying kill kill kill the mobsters.

As LKartillery said, we haven't seen her killing innocent people in game. I can see her killing people close to and associated with the Medicis and it can be tragic especially if some of the people were forcefully indebted by way of servitude and were killed in the crossfire. My point is that, she's a 13 year old kid on a roaring rampage of vengeance. Let's just say she's not possessed by a mystical force. She knows a group was responsible for the pain and horror, upon further research, she finds they're a mob family. She then, if anything, feels more justified in wiping them out.

If you've ever seen Avatar the Last Airbender, compare her to Jet, he was orphaned by the fire nation and went to extreme lengths to seek revenge.

I don't think she's justified in killing anyone who might be connected to the Medicis. The whole point is that her logic isn't stupid. It's tragic and twisted, but it's something that shouldn't be so easily dismissed. It's like Frank Castle himself said "Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response." From us, the cool headed, stable people it's ridiculous and maybe crazy, but when you're hurting so bad, you're not doing checks and balances and using logic.

If we're judging her actions on morality, wholesale slaughter is a big no-no. Judging her actions based on logic (i.e. dismissing her viewpoints as "stupid) don't hold up as well since we're holding her to a different standard and in us vs her, she's not on a level playing field or sound of mind.

It is not justified Artillery.

The omelet and egg argument may apply to minor things, but we're talking about human lives here.
What Marie is doing is wrong and she needs to be stopped. Fighting the Mafia should be left to heroes, not to psychologically tormented 13 year old girls with power over the undead.

That's why I said that Marie deserves pity Shock.

I would never hate Marie, I would pity her as I end her life for the good of humanity.

Are you saying psychologically tormented 13 year old girls with power over the undead can't be heroes?

How despicable. Get out of my sight.

Reactions: Muro
I agree she deserves pity. My previous statements were in regards to your comment about her logic being stupid. She's not in a sound state of mind, thus her logic is out the window, but I think we may talking in circles heh.

LKArtillery: Hah, I don't think that's what he's saying, I'm sure he's referring more to her altered state of mind and her overwhleming bloodlust that's colouring her judgement.

Are you saying psychologically tormented 13 year old girls with power over the undead can't be heroes?
No, but this particular one isn't.

To return to something posted like a page ago...
Serious head canon right here. The power of a Skullgirl's undead minions is dependent on the scale of their decomposition. Zombies which have only slightly decomposed are slow and weak compared to long dead Skeletons which are extremely fast and powerful.
This would also explain why the Skullgirls' power have been steadily increasing over time. Put simply, there are just more dead things than the last Skullgirl had to work with, and all the things killed by the previous Skullgirl have had seven years to lay in the ground and shed their mortal tissue.

It makes a lot of sense to me (I would think the former part of "more dead dudes" alone would be enough explanation for any incremental increase in Skullgirl-power, but that's just me), but I'm not sure that's what the writers were going for.

You're right Shock, I shouldn't have called Marie's logic stupid. That still doesn't change everything else I've pointed out about her, but on this subject you're right.

Yeah, I was being facetious.

In all seriousness, though? No, I totally get her. If my best friend or loved one got fucked up the way Patricia did, there is no way in hell I am going to pretend I'd be some moral paragon about it. I would hate those fuckers and fantasize about murdering the hell out of them and making them feel the same pain, you bet I would. If I had the opportunity to get revenge, you bet I would do the exact same thing Marie would be doing.

I love Skullgirls because, despite the cartoony exterior, the depth of the characters is surprisingly realistic. I love the morally grey, bleak tone. And I look at the events of the game through the lens of that tone. Incorruptible moral codes are for comic book heroes. People aren't perfect, far from it. People break easily, they hurt easily, and they have an incredible capacity for violence. The setting and characters showcase that deliciously well.

I'm rambling, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that, yeah, Marie's got plenty of excuses if you actually look at her from within the context of her story and the SG world at large. I don't see anything wrong with thinking of her as heroic.

I might be putting myself on a pedestal here, but I wouldn't do what Marie does. Comic book heroes may not be real, but it's our duty as human beings to try and emulate them as much as possible. Everyone should try to be Superman.
I can't blame Marie for what she's done, she's young and unknowledgeable, I can't expect her to do what I would do. However, I still can't see her as a hero knowing that she has the capability to do the right thing. I can admire the strength of her soul, but I can only see her as a tragic villain.

Yeah, but see, trying to be Superman (or whoever you want to put there) is unrealistic. Pushing those expectations on everyone, regardless of personal circumstance, is cruel and unfair. And so it also goes with judging the actions of fictional characters.

Anyhow, I'd say she's on her way due to Skull Heart corruption, but being the game's designated villain doesn't necessarily make her a bad person. Or in any case, no worse than the rest of the cast.The others are designated heroes, but you can make a much better case for the likes of, say, Cerebella and Valentine being evil imo.

Hell, even Peacock was perceived as an evil character up until her storymode came out with the game. Even then she takes up the Medici-slaughterin' mantle in the end, too. She isn't guaranteed to become an indiscriminate killer like Marie would be in due time, but I'd say the potential is still there for her--and every character, really.

Yeah, but see, trying to be Superman (or whoever you want to put there) is unrealistic. Pushing those expectations on everyone, regardless of personal circumstance, is cruel and unfair. And so it also goes with judging the actions of fictional characters.
I think I'll just let this person do the rest of the talking for me.

(Actually this may not fit the current situation very well, but it's still something people should read.)

Last edited:
Nobody said that she wasn't.

Can I just theorize some parasite stuff?

Leviathan and Sekhmet have exoskeletons, since I noticed Sekhmet doesn't have proper 'joints' like skeletons, look at her hands and feet with proper skeletons, it's not jsut a 'simplification for animation', Marie's minons and Squigly's hand are properly skeletal.