• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

Every single possible thing can go wrong with School days
Every single possible thing WENT wrong with School Days.

How about after this we all have some warm fuzzy moments with Madoka? How can you be sad or depressed when watching a magical girl series? I mean, come on!
Misleading anime direction ftw!

Every single possible thing can go wrong with School days
Every single possible thing WENT wrong with School Days.
Nah...Cross Days takes it a step further.

Oh God no.....
If you thought that was bad, wait until you see the tangled family tree.
http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1343/10/1343105061510.jpg
It may take you a while to see the relations linking Makoto, Sekai, and Setsuna, but the story is suddenly more unsettling once you spot the links. God forbid Cross Days put Yuuki in the same family tree.
Funnily enough, the best ending of Cross Days ends with Makoto in an arguably more stable relationship than any of the endings in the other VNs.

Reactions: Jutsei
Seeing Red Line makes me think of metro 2033 and thats no anime.

On a more anime note I finished Michiko to Hatchin, which is a very nicely animated series. Its pretty much Samurai Champloo minus the samurai and with less hip hop sadly.

heres the op

Post Red Line Edit: That movie is the best god damn thing

Last edited:
Reactions: Denizen
I keep hearing "Oh Madoka Magica is so dark, you'd never expect it, everyone should watch it."
But I'm under the impression that it's dark for a Magical Girl anime. As in it doesn't hold a candle to shows that are actually meant to be depressing. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also @Fizzxwizz THANK YOU SO MUCH. I saw a GIF of that chick kicking some ass and I could never find what it was from and I forgot about it BUT NOW I'VE FOUND IT! That is going right next to Redline! on my list!

I should actually make a list rather than keep it in my head.

Reactions: SkyKingJ
I keep hearing "Oh Madoka Magica is so dark, you'd never expect it, everyone should watch it."
But I'm under the impression that it's dark for a Magical Girl anime. As in it doesn't hold a candle to shows that are actually meant to be depressing. Am I right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
\
Episode 3. A main character's head is BITTEN OFF! thats dark for most anime!

Also @Fizzxwizz THANK YOU SO MUCH. I saw a GIF of that chick kicking some ass and I could never find what it was from and I forgot about it BUT NOW I'VE FOUND IT! That is going right next to Redline! on my list!

If it makes you even more happy it's produced by Shinichiro Watanabe. The same guy who directed Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

Episode 3. A main character's head is BITTEN OFF! thats dark for most anime!
I actually know about that already since it's what everyone talks about. I also know that Ms. Fortune has a palette based on that character. But the scene is super cartoony, no blood at all, and not really 'sad'.
Let me put it this way, in Full Metal Alchemist (the first one) remember Maes Hughes? That really great guy that Edward became friends with and stuff?
Well remember his funeral? As his casket was slowly being lowered into the ground his daughter couldn't quite comprehend the situation and kept asking her mother why they were burying him, begging for him to wake up and it was JUST THE SADDEST DAMN THING I'VE EVER SEEN, I DON'T LIKE TALKING ABOUT IT!
Anyway that's what I'm talking about. Does Madoka Magica have that kind thing?

If it makes you even more happy it's produced by Shinichiro Watanabe. The same guy who directed Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.
On a lighter note, HOLY CRAP ARE YOU SERIOUS!?
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES THAT'S SKYROCKETING UP MY LIST.

Last edited:
That's exactly how I feel except I really don't like magical girl anime to begin with (exception of sailor moon). Magical girls are supposed to overcome hardships with the power of friendship and all that, it's unexpected for 'dark' to show up in it.

Still, it's a dark unexpected turn.

Speaking of Dark, The first four episodes of Higurashi?
Unbearable.
As in psychologically unbearable.
You know somethings gonna go wrong.
It's just building up and you dont know when the shit's gonna hit the fan.

That's exactly how I feel except I really don't like magical girl anime to begin with (exception of sailor moon). Magical girls are supposed to overcome hardships with the power of friendship and all that, it's unexpected for 'dark' to show up in it.
Same, I'm just annoyed when people make it sound as if the show is going rock me emotionally, when all that I see of it seems really tame.
Of course I haven't watched Madoka so I know don't have much to lean on. I still don't plan on watching it though, I'm fairly certain I'm just going to walk away disappointed. But if the fans of it really think I should try it then go ahead, convince me and I'll watch it.

As for Higurashi, dude I DARE you to find an anime to really make my gut turn. I CHALLENGE you to find something that will psychologically scar me. I challenge EVERYONE!

I don't think you can do it, I have an iron will, I'M UNBREAKABLE!
AT_squirrel.gif

I've been on an Adventure Time GIF spree. Adventure Time GIFs are the best.

Last edited:
Still, it's a dark unexpected turn.

Speaking of Dark, The first four episodes of Higurashi?
Unbearable.
As in psychologically unbearable.
You know somethings gonna go wrong.
It's just building up and you dont know when the shit's gonna hit the fan.

Remember the first time when you saw their faces go from cute to deranged in a matter of seconds during the first season? I was mostly excited while others pissed themselves.

Remember the first time when you saw their faces go from cute to deranged in a matter of seconds during the first season? I was mostly excited while others pissed themselves.
Pretty fucking much.
It's a very uncomfortable atmosphere.
And then once everyone's dead and it's over.
Next Episode
BACK TO CHEERINESS AND JOY.
IT'S SUCH A JARRING TRANSITION

Pretty fucking much.
It's a very uncomfortable atmosphere.
And then once everyone's dead and it's over.
Next Episode
BACK TO CHEERINESS AND JOY.
IT'S SUCH A JARRING TRANSITION

It's pretty much explained why that kept happening in season 2.

@Denizen: Nah, this ain't Princess Tutu. Madoka Magica really is dark for an anime. Is it the darkest one ever made? Not really, but people do get killed off for real after you got attached to them.

To be honest, even though I like magical girls, I don't even like Madoka Magica. I think it's overrated.

Madoka is dark? Not by my standards. It does have a good plot that's not so typical, so its quite good, but not even close to the twisted and disturbing end.

On the topic of dark and disturbing, my personal favorites would be Elfen Lied and Narutaru.

Also, If anyone has any more dark themed anime suggestions, I'm interested in hearing them. I think I've seen all worth seeing, but there might be some hidden gem I've skipped (I watched Higurashi kinda late because I was mislead by the first eps that its your typical school day anime).

Madoka is dark? Not by my standards. It does have a good plot that's not so typical, so its quite good, but not even close to the twisted and disturbing end.

On the topic of dark and disturbing, my personal favorites would be Elfen Lied and Narutaru.

Also, If anyone has any more dark themed anime suggestions, I'm interested in hearing them. I think I've seen all worth seeing, but there might be some hidden gem I've skipped (I watched Higurashi kinda late because I was mislead by the first eps that its your typical school day anime).

Yeah, Madoka was subversive, but not particularly tear-jerking or rage-inducing or stomach-turning. I was caught by the hype train, but it pales in comparison to plenty of other anime.

Dear fucking god Narutaru was twisted. After some point all I could think was, "Oh, a few more people died/the kids commit another atrocity? Whoop-de-do." And then the ending (to the manga) happened. Never reading that again.
Bokurano, on the other hand, I could deal with, because those kids actually rise from despair. If you haven't watched/read it yet, I recommend it.

I actually know about that already since it's what everyone talks about. I also know that Ms. Fortune has a palette based on that character. But the scene is super cartoony, no blood at all, and not really 'sad'.
Let me put it this way, in Full Metal Alchemist (the first one) remember Maes Hughes? That really great guy that Edward became friends with and stuff?
Well remember his funeral? As his casket was slowly being lowered into the ground his daughter couldn't quite comprehend the situation and kept asking her mother why they were burying him, begging for him to wake up and it was JUST THE SADDEST DAMN THING I'VE EVER SEEN, I DON'T LIKE TALKING ABOUT IT!
Anyway that's what I'm talking about. Does Madoka Magica have that kind thing?
I will say yes. Madoka has those things. but I'm not gonna say the because Madoka is super short and just telling one major event is telling a large chunk of the series.
When Mami dies, you learn the sad fact that you dont even get a funeral as a magical girl. people just forget you even existed. when you become a magical girl and die, your existence means NOTHING in the end.
does that count as sad?

Yeah, Madoka was subversive, but not particularly tear-jerking or rage-inducing or stomach-turning. I was caught by the hype train, but it pales in comparison to plenty of other anime.

Dear fucking god Narutaru was twisted. After some point all I could think was, "Oh, a few more people died/the kids commit another atrocity? Whoop-de-do." And then the ending (to the manga) happened. Never reading that again.
Bokurano, on the other hand, I could deal with, because those kids actually rise from despair. If you haven't watched/read it yet, I recommend it.
Bokurano had very good storytelling, I liked it. At first it seemed it would fall into the evangelion emo kid pit, but they surprised me positively. Funny thing is, I remember finding bokurano because I started searching for the OP song after hearing it somewhere. I thought it said "Alastor alastor" so I kept failing for a long time, not knowing it was bad engrish "uninstall uninstall" :D Quite good OP, that one.

Also, whoever mentioned Outlaw Star earlier in the thread, thanks! I had missed it, and it was quite good show!

I will say yes. Madoka has those things. but I'm not gonna say the because Madoka is super short and just telling one major event is telling a large chunk of the series.
When Mami dies, you learn the sad fact that you dont even get a funeral as a magical girl. people just forget you even existed. when you become a magical girl and die, your existence means NOTHING in the end.
does that count as sad?
Dude go ahead and spoil things, I don't care about spoilers. I've already spoiled a lot of Attack on Titan for myself.
Nah that doesn't really draw a tear, that happens all the time in anime, hell it might happen to some of US. Also, actually HAVING a funeral scene is way more sad to me.
So you're going to have to try harder to convince me. I'll say this though, you're making progress by telling me that it's super short.

Hey guys are we talking Sad Moments in Anime or Sad Anime overall?
Saddest Moment has got to be one part of One Piece
When the Going Merry was broken beyond repair and they gave her a viking funeral
That actually does sound sad. Viking funerals are legendary, I want to see that scene now.
I can really relate to it because my father wants a viking funeral.

But that's not something I need to worry about for a long time.

Last edited:
I'll say this though, you're making progress by telling me that it's super short.
That's probably the most convincing argument for watching it. At 12 episodes of ~25 minutes each, it's not going to take too much our of your anime time/download quota/whatever. Worst case is you don't like it, but you will have at least seen what all of the hype was about.

Last edited:
That actually does sound sad. Viking funerals are legendary, I want to see that scene now.
I can really relate to it because my father wants a viking funeral.

But that's not something I need to worry about for a long time.
It's really effective because over the course of 350 something episodes, they gave the ship a voice, a soul, and a personality. Even if it's subtle Merry is a member of the crew, and having to put her down like that is really hard to watch.

;w; I really hope this doesn't get saturated with one piece stuff. Most of the fans I have met had that series leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I terms of sad One Piece moments and despite it being non-canon story-wise, I want to bring up one One Piece Movie.

One Piece Movie Z. That ending and the song...

It won't get too saturated with One Piece, I mean. There's lots of other sad moments in other anime.
Like a large portion of Higurashi Part 1
monster has a lot of sad deaths.... And like, one of the best anime/manga villains ever.... DAT Johan.....

Reactions: deice
Okay this scene is in my top 5 saddest moments ever. If you haven't watched Clannad & Clannad: After Story do not click the spoiler.

This moment sets the mood for how much of an impact it can leave on it's viewers and don't even get me started on that track playing during the whole scene.

I'm going to leave on this note.

Why is no one mentioning Gurren Lagann? I haven't even watched the whole anime, but I know the story and that's the first thing that comes to mind when the topic of death and sorrow is brought up.

How can you all forget that?

Since we are on the topic of saddest moments, for me it was Ushio "death" from Clannad AfterStory with Otanashi death in Angel Beats! being a close second easily by far. Spoiler for why:

Ushio death felt even sadder then Nagisa death because not only because she was just a child, but she didn't care that she would have died with her weak health just so she can spend time with her dad. Tomoya the main character was finally warming up with her daughter Ushio because before he avoided her and left her the father/mother in-laws place to be raised. She reminded her of his wife Nagisa dying and couldn't take the pain. Tomoya and Ushio planned to go on a trip despite Ushio bad health (inherited from her mother) but her health couldn't take it anymore because of the snow weather.

The music and emotion displayed in this scene really hits it home. The reason why I said "death" was because she along with Nagisa are alive again later. Its complicated to explain why since I haven't watched Clannad in awhile, but basically he got his wish granted due to a legend because he been helping out the people in this town with their various problems throughout the years and the "town" paid him back with happiness.

Otanashi death from Angel Beats! was quite unique. Angel Beats! is quite sad in general (not quite as much as Clannad though), but Otanashi death really stands out. Basically the scenes leading up to his death was he was caring older brother who worked various jobs to support her younger sister in the hospital who was terminally ill. One day on her sisters request he snuck her out of the hospital on Christmas Eve night (it was cold as you can imagine) to spend time with her younger sister by seeing the sights, get gifts, eat a fancy dinner with money he saved up from the various jobs. You notice the sister eventually get weaker throughout the night. She dies sometime later. Otanashi is depressed, but he gains sudden resolve when he sees a family happy with a discharged little girl at the hospital.

Otanashi suddenly has the drive to become a doctor to make sure his sadness doesn't happen to other people and studies his ass off for medical school in between his jobs. He is ready for his Big Exam for Med School and takes the train. The train crashes and they are underground with rubble blocking the exits. The survivors including Otanashi have to wait out for rescuers with meager supplies. Otanashi steps up as the "leader" for the survivors because of his valuable medical knowledge and helps the wounded. However a week goes by and Otanashi and the rest of the group are nearly dead due to lack of water/food.

Otanashi looks at his ID and notices that if he dies he can give up his organs for people who need them if he signs. Knowing that he would die he signs as an organ donor thinking he can at least do that much for his deceased sister. This inspires the other survivors to become organ donors and helps raise morale. The rescuers finally dig the survivors out, but Otanashi died shortly (he had internal bleeding since after the accident) before he can be saved. Him being an organ donor goes in play for a certain other character who was saved by his donated organs who he meets in the afterlife.

What was sad was the combination of his tragic past, his sudden dedication for a new goal, being denied his new dream, and accepting death, but not without doing one useful thing to help people who were terminally ill like her dead younger sister. Him being so close of being saved was a bummer as well with the combined emotion displayed and music happening.

Because all of the sad In Gurren Lagann is devoured by the hype. You still feel sad while it happens, even for a few episodes after...maybe even a long time after. But then the pure hype DEVOURS every other emotion you feel towards it.

Also, even though this isn't sad, Baccano! did somebody mention this already?
It's awesome.
Like seriously I'm pretty sure it's in my top 10.

I'm going to leave on this note.

Why is no one mentioning Gurren Lagann? I haven't even watched the whole anime, but I know the story and that's the first thing that comes to mind when the topic of death and sorrow is brought up.

How can you all forget that?
Because the character's death was completely out of left field. it kind of loses its impact after Nia pops in.