• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

I never really finished Gurren Lagann, I couldn't go on after episode 8
don't let Kamina's death stop you. Kamina's death is not a good excuse to not continue watching the series.

Ushio death felt even sadder then Nagisa death because not only because she was just a child, but she didn't care that she would have died with her weak health just so she can spend time with her dad. Tomoya the main character was finally warming up with her daughter Ushio because before he avoided her and left her the father/mother in-laws place to be raised. She reminded her of his wife Nagisa dying and couldn't take the pain. Tomoya and Ushio planned to go on a trip despite Ushio bad health (inherited from her mother) but her health couldn't take it anymore because of the snow weather.

The music and emotion displayed in this scene really hits it home. The reason why I said "death" was because she along with Nagisa are alive again later. Its complicated to explain why since I haven't watched Clannad in awhile, but basically he got his wish granted due to a legend because he been helping out the people in this town with their various problems throughout the years and the "town" paid him back with happiness.
Well, at least I'm not the only one who sees this death as memorable.

What's weird is this takes place in an alternate universe where they're all alive and happy after his wish is granted. But in the end it was worth it to see this.

695b5c52ca2b7ca868216660034a9e5b.png

I never really finished Gurren Lagann, I couldn't go on after episode 8
Haha, same here.

So you're going to have to try harder to convince me [to watch Madoka Magica]. I'll say this though, you're making progress by telling me that it's super short.
It may be worth watching just so you can bitch about it without looking like a scrub.

It may be worth watching just so you can bitch about it without looking like a scrub.
Woooooaaaaah you sure you want to start taking shots man?

Sorry everyone I just don't want to jump right into a show that I probably won't like.

Sorry everyone I just don't want to jump right into a show that I probably won't like.
Don't take that post seriously, specially the scrub part. I was just joking. :P

But truth to be told, I was thinking the same thing as you do before I started watching Madoka Magica. Ended up I didn't like it.

Reactions: Denizen
Well I'll put Madoka Magica on my watch list. With so many Madoka fans here I feel like I at least owe them that.

Last edited:
Call me a slowpoke/slowbro all you fucking want. Finally got around to watching Attack on Titan. I thought it would be stupid before i watched it but man Im gettin some "Last 5 episodes of Guilty Crown" vibes right now. This show is intense just because it can be. Gonna start watching Dongan Ronpa soon. I heard its like Battle Royale but in a high school or some shit.

Stuff
I've already watched it but, unmarked major spoilers? Really?

Oh shit spirited away music came on on my playlist. Fuck. Now I remember that Miyazaki retired. And that his son sucks at directing.

I've already watched it but, unmarked major spoilers? Really?
I didn't know 6 years wasn't enough time before spoilers could be said about a death so early on.

I didn't know 6 years wasn't enough time before spoilers could be said about a death so early on.

I'm sorry but I hate this argument. I didn't know people had to watch things as they come out, the poor fools who are born after a show comes out don't deserve the surprise. I enjoy watching series' from the 90's and earlier, does that mean I should be open to spoilers? Funnily enough I opened this topic for the first time and the first thing I see is that spoiler, and I haven't watched Gurren yet.

Anyway, I recently finally watched Paranoia Agent and I loved it.

It's like 1/3 of the way through, that's kind of early but it's still late enough that Kamina is pretty well developed. And it's not meant to be a moment that you saw coming since the beginning of the show.
I'm just saying, if I hadn't already seen it, I would be pissed.

I'm sorry but I hate this argument. I didn't know people had to watch things as they come out, the poor fools who are born after a show comes out don't deserve the surprise. I enjoy watching series' from the 90's and earlier, does that mean I should be open to spoilers? Funnily enough I opened this topic for the first time and the first thing I see is that spoiler, and I haven't watched Gurren yet.
Yeah, this. I never got the chance to watch star wars episode 5 before I already knew who vader was because everyone seems to think it's okay to use the plot twist like a stupid meme. Same thing with Citizen Kane and rosebud.

Back on topic...
I should watch this. I watched Paprika, Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers and loved them all, so I can't imagine this being different.

I guess I was a bit insensitive about it. But I do feel one shouldn't be too hard considering its been accessible for many viewers for YEARS. I'll try to be more sensitive to spoilers though.

I'm only watching Attack on Titan. I've lost most of my drive for enjoying anime, it's become extremely stale and dull as of late, especially in light of how much TV programming around the world has stepped their game up.

Also on the point of Gurren Lagann I stopped watching when
That one chick with the weird eyes gets turns into like a doomsday device or some shit. I know something happened where Simon (or is it Simone? It would be easier if the pronounciation wasnt so damn weird) has to get her back. Watched that episode last year. I just kinda stopped watching.

Gurren Lagann's ending doesn't make the rest of the show worth watching.

Honestly stop after the first half, it ends perfectly fine there, everything after that is a wash and dry cycle that ends up in all your clothing being shrunk when you're done.

Key's Little Buster! Refrain (2nd season) comes out on October.

Has the potential to be an emotional roller-coaster near Clannad: After Story caliber depending how J.C. Staff pulls off certain scenes.

It's like 1/3 of the way through, that's kind of early but it's still late enough that Kamina is pretty well developed. And it's not meant to be a moment that you saw coming since the beginning of the show.
I'm just saying, if I hadn't already seen it, I would be pissed.

Yeah, this. I never got the chance to watch star wars episode 5 before I already knew who vader was because everyone seems to think it's okay to use the plot twist like a stupid meme. Same thing with Citizen Kane and rosebud.

Back on topic...

I should watch this. I watched Paprika, Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers and loved them all, so I can't imagine this being different.

Hah, I've also been spoiled on rosebud... And Paranoia Agent is definitely one of his best, I didn't like the unbelievable twist in Perfect Blue
(Rumi's fat, how is she doing any of that, the jumping, the running faster than Mima, etc)
, but I loved everything else in it.

Considering rewatching Higurashi, lately.

I recommend waiting for the VN to hit Steam, as it's just been greenlit. The anime barely is Higurashi, and just takes the characters and basic scenarios, while only emphasizing on 'hey look little kids are killing each other! CREEEPY! Here's some awkward fanservice(though the VN has some)" It ignores the actual themes and depth that the VN has, like reading a short picture synopsis of a long book. Don't even get me started on Kira *vomits*.

I'm biased as I really love the series, but I'm not exaggerating. I was mad that I watched the anime as it just spoils the VN for you.

I'm only watching Attack on Titan. I've lost most of my drive for enjoying anime, it's become extremely stale and dull as of late, especially in light of how much TV programming around the world has stepped their game up.
I think Attack on Titan is a little overrated. I mean, it's pretty good, it's just not as good as people say.
I can echo you on that anime growing stale thing... the only good series going on right now are attack on titan (which I'm crossing my fingers to not go past the 30 episode threshold of plot-focused shows taking too long and becoming shit) and watamote, which I couldn't really get into.
I hope kill la kill is good, but at the moment it looks terrible. Seriously, please prove me wrong.

Also on the point of Gurren Lagann I stopped watching when
That one chick with the weird eyes gets turns into like a doomsday device or some shit. I know something happened where Simon (or is it Simone? It would be easier if the pronounciation wasnt so damn weird) has to get her back. Watched that episode last year. I just kinda stopped watching.
After the time skip shit gets weird, so you probably dropped out at about the right time. Just pretend the spiral king didn't say anything about bad things happening when the population reaches 1,000,000 people. There you go. Plot is resolved. Don't keep going, (spoiler if you still care) there's a lot of bullshit science and spaceships and spiral king being a head in a jar and Simon's mole becoming a fucking furry. There are only like 2, maybe 3 good moments that make up for that shit.

Last edited:
I think Attack on Titan is a little overrated. I mean, it's pretty good, it's just that right now a lot of
I can echo you on that anime growing stale thing... the only good series going on right now are attack on titan (which I'm crossing my fingers to not go past the 30 episode threshold of plot-focused shows taking too long and becoming shit) and watamote, which I couldn't really get into.
I hope kill la kill is good, but at the moment it looks terrible. Seriously, please prove me wrong.

After the time skip shit gets weird, so you probably dropped out at about the right time. Just pretend the spiral king didn't say anything about bad things happening when the population reaches 1,000,000 people. There you go. Plot is resolved. Don't keep going, (spoiler if you still care) there's a lot of bullshit science and spaceships and spiral king being a head in a jar and Simon's mole becoming a fucking furry. There are only like 2, maybe 3 good moments that make up for that shit.
the main thing about guren lagann is that its not known for its story, its meant for being over the top in animation and action. the plot is so-so and can differ from person to person whether you like it or not, but everyone agrees its extremely over the top and sometimes its enjoyable to turn off our brain and watch a pretty light show.

the main thing about guren lagann is that its not known for its story, its meant for being over the top in animation and action. the plot is so-so and can differ from person to person whether you like it or not, but everyone agrees its extremely over the top and sometimes its enjoyable to turn off our brain and watch a pretty light show.
I can't say I wasn't entertained by it, but the plot often got in the way of the action and animation and characters. The second half is the best example of why not to do technobabble I can think of. If they had kept it simple like the first half it would have been 1000x better.

The plot being so so is the exactly reason why I completely hate the ending. In fact it makes less reason because of it.

I legit thought Chibi was dead.

And yeah, the ending of lagann was weird.

It tried doing two different things near the end and the last moments suffered for it.

If Beserk ends that way, that's cool.

But Lagann, why would they end it on a somber note, why would they seemingly turn their back on everything they've been doing?

I mean, "everything in moderation", but the whole point was "fuck moderation, go ham".

Yeah pretty much. They gave logic and reasoning the middle finger and took bravdo, courage, and honor over it instead.

Up until the last fucking 10 minutes that is.

Go figure?

It would be like if NGE stopped with the introspection and just pulled a Rebuild in the middle of the original animation.

You know how salty 12 year old iloli would have been?

Or if Haruko stayed at the end of flcl.

I've been killing hunter x hunter because that shit is still fiyah.

Last edited:
don't let Kamina's death stop you. Kamina's death is not a good excuse to not continue watching the series.

I've only watched 2 episodes of Gurren Lagann. THANKS FOR THE SPOILERS AHKUHBGKFBJODBOBSODUFBVUOHFBOUHDBFOHOUFDGODB!

Hell, they could have did a Bolivian Army ending for TTGL and that would have been sick.

Resurrecting everyone that died, and rushing off to slap the anti spiral's shit.

Freeze frame, "dont fuck with us!"

Bam, golden.

I agree that it doesn't matter how much time has passed, you should still be wary of spoilers on the internet.

But seriously if you don't know what happens in Gurren Lagann at this point, you must be living in The International Space Station.

I only say 'be wary of spoilers' so that I don't catch crap from other people like Sano did.

I don't really know nor do I care when the cut-off date is. I always tag/hide my spoilers so I don't have to deal with any backlash.

I give a grace period of five years. After that I dont care. You cant please everybody. Your fault you weren't up to date on it, not mine. The reasoning doesnt matter to me. I'll spoiler really big stuff like
Snape kills Dumbledore
, but im not gonna nitpick over everything in the series. You didn't know that one chick was cheating on the main character this whole time? Tough shit you do now. I knew the ending to the original Ghost In The Shell movie before I watched it and still enjoyed every second.

Reactions: Jutsei
I give a grace period of five years. After that I dont care. You cant please everybody. Your fault you weren't up to date on it, not mine. The reasoning doesnt matter to me. I'll spoiler really big stuff like
Snape kills Dumbledore
, but im not gonna nitpick over everything in the series. You didn't know that one chick was cheating on the main character this whole time? Tough shit you do now. I knew the ending to the original Ghost In The Shell movie before I watched it and still enjoyed every second.
My policy is, if it's actually something that happens in the show and you aren't supposed to expect it, spoiler it. Everything else is fair game. It can even reveal a lot about the show, and you can know a lot of things you technically shouldn't, but at the same time if the moment has any shock value to it it's a spoiler.
Still, that Gurren Lagann spoiler was pretty big. It's like the one plot twist in the entire show, if you don't count the stupid ones.

My spoiler cut-off date is pretty much Super Robot War's policy.
If it's been three years, it's free game.
The cut-off date only applies to threads specifically about that show. If it's anime general discussion you should spoiler everything. You don't exclude people from general discussion because they didn't happen to watch some show you decided to talk about, regardless of if it's a day, a year, or a decade old. You can't expect us to have watched every notable anime in existence to participate in this thread.

Meh, I knew that he was gonna die before I watched Gurren Lagann and I still didn't see it coming. I don't know how to spoiler things.
Also, how do you guys feel about HEAT GUY J?

Meh, I knew that he was gonna die before I watched Gurren Lagann and I still didn't see it coming. I don't know how to spoiler things.
Also, how do you guys feel about HEAT GUY J?
He also said the episode it was in. Not directly, but whatever.

But seriously if you don't know what happens in Gurren Lagann at this point, you must be living in The International Space Station.
My spoiler cut-off date is pretty much Super Robot War's policy.
If it's been three years, it's free game.
Snape kills Dumbledore

These kinda sum up my viewpoints to the whole GL thing.

I do feel I should apologize for the few people who didn't watch GL until now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jutsei
These kinda sum up my viewpoints to the whole GL thing.

I do feel I should apologize for the few people who didn't watch GL until now.

In my defense I started watching it a few weeks ago. By episode 2 I was bored and stopped. Shortly after I found Watamote(which I love) and because of that I haven't thought about continuing GL at all recently.