• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beast's Fury Kickstarter is Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I wasn't paying attention to this thread but another forum I frequent started posting pictures of Ego-Raptor's character. What's the deal with all (and by all I mean two) these celebrity characters being added in?

So I wasn't paying attention to this thread but another forum I frequent started posting pictures of Ego-Raptor's character. What's the deal with all (and by all I mean two) these celebrity characters being added in?

It's a desperate last minute grab for attention. No one wants to fund their deviantart level furries so they have to make some characters based on things people actually like.

can I donate the tin foil off of this recently eaten baked potato??

The dinosaur doesn't even remotely fit in with the rest of the characters. Looks like he game straight from Dino Crisis.

Edit: Actually, he looks like if they took a Dino Crisis raptor and tried to turn him into Fulgore and then gave up half way.

It's a desperate last minute grab for attention. No one wants to fund their deviantart level furries so they have to make some characters based on things people actually like.
C'mon man, we know you clearly don't like the game (in one of the most whiplash inducing 180s I've ever seen on a forum), but there's no need to be snide about it every single comment you make.

Is it so hard to present information in an unbiased light?

To their credit, if they were actually trying to be shady, it'd be the funding scheme where they keep whatever they get, pass or fail.

They do seem to actually want to put out a good product. Whether that transfers to good business or design acumen is another question, but I don't think I'd doubt their intentions based on what I've seen. I'm not a fan of the guest character publicity stunt, in so far as they should have been bonus goals, not in before your actual, intended characters, but the rest of the game looked nice.

That being said, to the devs if you check back here? You do come across in this worse than he does. He wasn't harping negatively on the game in any of those quoted pics - the first time was him wanting to know how to promote the game despite people reacting negatively to the furry thing, the other time was him letting someone know what those best friend people thought and correcting misinformation.

In neither case was he flaming your game and you come across looking worse for your effort when you attack him because it looks like overreacting and counter-attacking by the guys who are supposed to be in charge of the situation. It's good to be cool and impartial dealing with your fans - if they're jerks, deal with it and walk away, but don't get into a defensive or reactive argument with them. That's not something people want to see from the professionals looking for their money. From casual acquaintances on a forum, perhaps, but not the developers.

You might draw new fans from the Kickstarter, but harrassing and trolling someone who -was- a fan into being a hater because you misconstrued what he said and reacted poorly probably turns off a lot of potential fans in the process. Why get rid of any fans when you can keep them all?

I hope your game succeeds - I like some of the character designs you drew up, especially the bird girl, but reacting like that isn't the way to do it. If you make it there, do it with class.

It's true though. I only supported this project because I love fighting games and can tolerate a little furryness here or there. The furry characters are the worst part of the project, and it's been an almost universal reaction from everyone I've shown it to, even when I was still shilling for the game.

You aren't going to find an unbiased opinion because bias exists everywhere.

All in all its the sex sells method

Tack on a known name and people are bound to flock

If tomorrow they reveal Samuel L Jackson will be playing a samurai themed Gorilla with John Travolta as his chimpanzee partner you don't think people won't flock to it?

I was hoping to have at least a spiritual successor to Brutal Paws of Fury and honestly
I'm glad they haven't made a new one it just wouldn't be good and second I care nothing about this project but never tell someone you don't need their money or support so arrogantly aggressively or angrily, it's a sure to have your foot in your mouth. I always try to see the other person side when people gang up on said person before making decisions but Mr.PR you kinda spoke clearly

To their credit, if they were actually trying to be shady, it'd be the funding scheme where they keep whatever they get, pass or fail.
I noticed that too. Can't really tell where their heads are at on that one though. They apparently think they'll definitely make their goal, and making a flexible funding plan makes people more wary of donating.

In neither case was he flaming your game and you come across looking worse for your effort when you attack him because it looks like overreacting and counter-attacking by the guys who are supposed to be in charge of the situation.
Didn't you see? Grangach's comments "rubbed him the wrong way".

Snideness aside, it's obviously a marketing thing. They made a deal with Max at least (certainly Egoraptor as well, though I actually haven't watched the vid they put up honestly). Max (and Ego Raptor) get a fighting game character. In return... well, what could they really give in return? Timing of it suggests publicity. They even spaced the two announcements out so neither announcement could get "cold" before the next (actually expecting to hear like JWittz announced as a Pokemon furry or something).

All in all its the sex sells method

Tack on a known name and people are bound to flock

If tomorrow they reveal Samuel L Jackson will be playing a samurai themed Gorilla with John Travolta as his chimpanzee partner you don't think people won't flock to it?
That's about what I expected but barring word from the Devs; yeah, it's exactly what it looks like.

Samuel L Jackson will be playing a samurai themed Gorilla with John Travolta as his chimpanzee partner
I don't know too much about this game, but I think I know what the next Kung Fu Panda is gonna be about~!

:PUN:

Reactions: PKStoopKid
I don't know too much about this game, but I think I know what the next Kung Fu Panda is gonna be about~!

:PUN:

Lol didn't think of that but Dreamworks better give me props

I was gonna say Yipes the chain saw wielding bear to keep with the theme of People known in the VG community but hey you know

Personally I don't give a SHIT if Beasts Fury is a Furry game or not. ALL I care about is how the game plays and if it is a good solid fighter like Skull Girls is. And looking over all of the information with the fighting mechanics it seems like a fun fighter. The art style is there to give the game it a visual distinction and character to the game as whole. If you just hate the game just because of "Furries", then you are not giving these people a fair chance at presenting their game to you. Good Indie Fighting Games are hard and rare to come by, and I personally feel that the people behind Beasts Furry have a good game and can just as successful as Skull Girls is. But in the end it's your Money you decide what to do with it. Just don't go screaming your head off in the attempt to ruin projects cause they don't appeal to you personally.

People of Beasts Fury keep working on the game, you have something here and it has the potential of being big.

Yeah I think people here are going in a little TOO hard. Grangach seems to have had a bad experience and is now a visibly spiteful towards the team as a whole, the devs trying to run PR themselves isn't exactly helping.

This is not a disaster sight like Chainsaw Massacre or Death Cargo, I think of all the crowd funding fighter projects, this one is the most promising by far.

aye I agree with ye Tomo. To be frank I like the game so far and it does have the most promise with it's fighting mechanics and it's hand drawn animation cinematic finishers. it gives it character, something that will make people say: "That's Beasts Fury, dude!"

Yeah I think people here are going in a little TOO hard.
We go hard in the mutha fuckin paint neighbor, leave you stankin neighbor, what the fuck you thankin neighbor
NSFW words

Grangach seems to have had a bad experience and is now a visibly spiteful towards the team as a whole.

I don't like getting shit on, especially after advocating for them.

I fully admit I don't like the game's furry art style at all, so I'm not this games target demographic. What I do like is hand drawn animation in fighting games, and it does have that so its interesting on that premise.

For a 2D animated game, however, the initial funding goals they were asking for were WAY too low. As you know as somebody who plays this game and posts on this forum, hand drawn animation is freaking expensive. I'm not surprised they had to run a second funding campaign on top of the first one. However, that's no excuse for the terrible way they are handling PR right now.

Well with less than 60 hours to go I don't think they will reach the goal with 14k $ left unless a miracle happens.

I think kickstarter for indies is dead unless they offer something really advanced and solid and goals promise at least a copy of the game for a cheap price.

I think kickstarter for indies is dead unless they offer something really advanced and solid and goals promise at least a copy of the game for a cheap price.

Heeeell no, Kickstarter was made for indies and it's where they thrive. One of my most anticipated games of this year is a Kickstarter indie.

Beast's Fury has been poorly managed. Can't let that reflect poorly on everyone else.

Well with less than 60 hours to go I don't think they will reach the goal with 14k $ left unless a miracle happens.

they arent dead, they ran out of money the first time and then tried to redo it, that in itself is enough reason to never support it, you just can't trust this team really

The largest spikes are the first and last day, it isn't really over for them as such. Pretty large amount to make though, being more than they made in the first 24 hours I believe.

If Beast's Fury was a demo, then why did they have all these stretch goals and these celebrity fighters? I think if they said outright that Beast's Fury was a demo, and had their goals clear from the start, they would've had a chance of success. I think the animators should have focused solely on animating attacks, instead of animating other stuff like finishers, chibi games, and even the little intro stuff and the storyboarding, but I'm sure they didn't realize they needed to make a demo before making the bold item.

Furries are actually great supportive costumers. Don't forget that most of the people who paid a lot to support Skullgirls are furries.

To me this project just seems sad. Made for the sake of putting some OCs together in a videogame. Not even the artists paid attention to it. Priority to the real content first and then, maybe, if you can afford it, the fancy frame. It's a very basic lesson

The characters look really flat and uninteresting, none of them attract me at all, and not for the furry, they're just bland. Chainsaw Incident at least had a lot of creativy put into it(I'm so sad it didn't work out, honestly. Wish they could re-work the programming and try it again. I really want CI to succeed)

Putting celebrities into a videogame is like putting celebrities into an animated movie. It's insulting and comes out crappy most of the time. Shark Tale, anyone?

If you want to make games that give more atention to animation and story and has much simpler gameplay mechanics, make a graphic adventure game. It may not be as badass as a fighting one, there may be less muscles and splited blood, but it would be more of your kind, really.
Actually, it may bring the genre back from the 90s. I would so love and support that

I won't deny it, I still want to make a fighting game. About magical girls. I don't have the courage to throw it away. It will be kept in the closeth for long time though, I still need a lot to learn, and sure will need the right people.

Tl;Dr this will end like Officer and Truffles, that shitty cartoon by 18 years old tumblristas.

Ironically, most of what I learn is from other people's errors.
So thank you.

Edit: Who made the cover and the pin-ups, by the way?

Last edited:
Even if this campaign does reach its goal. They will probably run out of money again. Unless those free animators actually exist. Not something he made up because he upset at the time.

Adding some stuff from animator LordDirk on FA because yeah it's kind of cute

Rita standing animation (probably the only somewhat interesting character)
Ego Raptor standing animation (I don't like this one, too flashy and puppet-like, the lightings are kind of cool though)

Also what I can really appreciate from this guy:
tumblr_n7bwvpZqad1r8n1s8o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n7bwuunXTp1r8n1s8o1_500h.jpg

Thank God someone here understands the importance of character shapes and reference usage. Matilda almost looks like an actual kangaroo girl! wohoo!

The animated intro(rough, obviously)

Neh.

Last edited:
I actually think the chibi game was a cool, fun idea and would have taken virtually no effort to draw. I'm really down with that bit of marketing.
Yeah, I agree. I think it's a little late for marketing though, unless Beast's Fury can pull a miracle. They have raised $32,000 AUD. Maybe if Egoraptor had publicly spoken about his place in Beast's Fury, then they could've pulled it off. I wonder why he didn't speak about it in a video like Max did...

Putting celebrities into a videogame is like putting celebrities into an animated movie. It's insulting and comes out crappy most of the time. Shark Tale, anyone?
... am I really the only person who liked Shark Tale...?

Adding some stuff from animator LordDirk on FA because yeah it's kind of cute

Rita standing animation
Ego Raptor standing animation

The animated intro(rough, obviously)
Why do they keep... sigh... more examples of them putting money into things that weren't "finishing a character". Really wish they had a good money guy.

On Rita's idle, I like it, but I think her leg should be either much more wobbly, or she should alternate. Right now it looks less like Drunken Master and a little more like Sleepy Crane. :p

I think it's a little late for marketing though, unless Beast's Fury can pull a miracle. They have raised $32,000 AUD.
Why do people keep saying that? Didn't Skullgirls raise like 200,000 in the last day or something? We've first hand experienced that last minute surge of money. I don't think it's going to take a miracle. Just for people to have either not found out about the last kickstarter and keep donating, or for them to not care.

Why do people keep saying that? Didn't Skullgirls raise like 200,000 in the last day or something? We've first hand experienced that last minute surge of money. I don't think it's going to take a miracle. Just for people to have either not found out about the last kickstarter and keep donating, or for them to not care.
I think Skullgirls raised about as much money in the first day as they did in the last day. Kickstarters tend to work out like that.

I don't have a problem with furries, but the character designs are still all over the place. They're really inconsistent and I'm fairly sure the raptor isn't even anthropomorphic. I really want to like this game but the aesthetics are really weird. I guess time will tell.

Reactions: dead
Skullgirls got much money in little time because it was a promising project right from the start, with professional artists and programmers who know how to do their job and you have the proof right on your hands.
I'm sure it's exactly Skullgirls that started this indie-fighting-games-on-kickstarter and you know what? It is good in a way. We're not talking about little companies making cheap stuff to get easy money by staying in a successful product's shadow; we're talking about well-meaning artists who dream too high and are just not prepared.
I will keep praying to get Chainsaw Incident fully playable and with characters visible from the backgrounds.

I like the colours. Will Smith fish? Creepy as hell.

I think their animations needs a bit of texture like fur, rough scales, feathers, etc. They do look pretty nice:0)
upload_2014-6-17_14-13-27.png

Also, Benny looks better tiny I think, though I miss the red in his clothes.

Well with the little boost at the moment with 32k in total, the first goal is still possible. I wonder if Skullgirls got greenlight for Autumn Games with only two characters.

I wonder if Skullgirls got greenlight for Autumn Games with only two characters.

I could be wrong, but I think they only had one, Filia, with bits of Ms. Fortune and a huge book of artworks and ideas.

I could be wrong, but I think they only had one, Filia, with bits of Ms. Fortune and a huge book of artworks and ideas.
If only BeastsFury had focused on one character. Maybe they'll actually finish Vincent before making finishing moves for Benny this time around.

Why do they keep... sigh... more examples of them putting money into things that weren't "finishing a character". Really wish they had a good money guy.
This. It seems like they lack any sort of common sense.

"Let's promise them that we'll use their money on X, but in reality let's just spend all of it on tiny bits and pieces of Y"

The funny thing is I ran into some people on the SG steam forum who said the same thing about Skullgirls in deference to Fukua..

Can anyone imagine if The SG team really had gone the Beast's Fury route..Zone as a playable character or one of the npcs. Asking for 10,000 for characters then suddenly bumping up the sum. Various other failures in terms of marketing..and repeated failed kickstarters.

It's not a good look, but it gives context to just how talented the people at lab zero are by comparison.

A good accountant and an FG vet like Mike Z, animators who have worked on big titles..maybe it could have been a success. I actually like some of the designs.However, it just seems like there have been too many mishandlings to ever win any good will from the existing fighting game and furry fanbases.

Skullgirls had the benefit of actually HAVING a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.