• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that I have Squigly down now, so I am thinking of adding a second character. Who would be a better second character to learn for Squigly, Big Band or Fukua?
Thanks in advance.

What are the ideal situations to throw out assists? Specifically dps and platonic drillationship. My assist calls keep whiffing and get punished 80% of the time.

if you are using a dragon punch assist like updo the best time to call them is when someone is jumping in on you. drillationship is a bit odd because it doesnt really go upwards but the idea is more or less the same. this will take time and practice to really get spot on. also remember that you can punish a punish against your assist. (just dont get happy birthdayed!)

if you are using a dragon punch assist like updo the best time to call them is when someone is jumping in on you. drillationship is a bit odd because it doesnt really go upwards but the idea is more or less the same. this will take time and practice to really get spot on. also remember that you can punish a punish against your assist. (just dont get happy birthdayed!)
correction @LazyBakemono
to use drill is more like for pressure. its too linear in my experience of using it. however you can use it as a DP but you better make sure the person landed otherwise it will whiff

you can do both, just remember to not get happy birthday'd if using it in neutral and be ready to punish the person for trying to punish your assist.

OK, thanks for answering my question about my down-up problem!
But I still can't do them... I eventually get the timing down but then it stops coming out consistently after a while.
I thought Parasoul's charges would be as easy as BB's...

OK, thanks for answering my question about my down-up problem!
But I still can't do them... I eventually get the timing down but then it stops coming out consistently after a while.
I thought Parasoul's charges would be as easy as BB's...
It starts to get intuitive after a while, don't worry.
Charges tend to be like that...

It starts to get intuitive after a while, don't worry.
Charges tend to be like that...
I see...
I decided to run BB-Double instead of my current team of BB-Fortune and my planned teams of BigSoul and BigWheel.

I've seen a move not listed in the wiki where Fortune swats her head w/her weapon.
How does that work? Forgot if it was in the game movelist.

And forum-related, is there a way to change the message under your avatar? I tried looking, but didn't see a way to do it. Thanks.

I've seen a move not listed in the wiki where Fortune swats her head w/her weapon.
How does that work? Forgot if it was in the game movelist.

And forum-related, is there a way to change the message under your avatar? I tried looking, but didn't see a way to do it. Thanks.

That's just her snapback hitting her head

At the very top to the right is your nick with an ↓ Arrow
Hover over it, a dropdown menu appears
Click on "Personal Details"
Then it's "Custom Title".

Oh, that's what that was. XD Thanks pointing to the custom title- I was a bit distracted & somehow missed that. 0.0

wait, we have a ThatOneOtherDude and now a thisotherdude?

I thought it was bad enough perking up every time someone wanted guitalex.

On a more related note, everything's viable. Even Val, Peacock, PW in that order

Initially, I'd learn one combo as a bnb and some variation of it for your throws (ground and air). It won't be optimized and it probably won't be all that high of damage, but it should get you started so you can learn the match ups.

Eventually alternating between training and matches, you'll want to optimize your combo (at least moreso) and maybe pick up a corner combo. Before that, learn some resets.

Also, all characters are viable, but keep in mind the saying (I think from Dekillsage?), "There is no low tier except for solo".

You can make anything work in this game, but sometimes you'll be running up the hill to do it.

And welcome.

Alright, so one bnb combo and variation for throws to learn match ups > optimize for more damage once you figure you know enough to not just spend a 15 second round randomly pressing random buttons and hoping the other guy stops ripping you more assholes than a Chernobyl born man > Learn resets > learn corner combos. And remember solo a shit.

Alright, seems like a good starting point, thanks for the advice, I'll start looking into that after work (which reminds me I should probably go to sleep by now).

I now have a new goal in life, proving that statement wrong. Gotta git gud first though.
it kinda is wrong so it wont be hard, but you can make most things work.

You can go out of your way to make a team that doesn't work easily enough though. Like the team alexpi mentioned haha, you could do worse though, because that team still has characters in a kind of sensible order.

Like: Squigly/Val/PW

Now you have a team you are gonna struggle massively with.

EDIT: What combos you need to know will entirely depend on the cahracter.

For example, if you want to learn Squigly, you can essentially do the same combo off of anything, you just need to learn how to link throws and air throws into your BnB combo that you do off of everything else.

Big Band however, you are going to have to learn quite a few different combos, probably 3-5 before you really have your bases covered and there are still a lot more specific situation combos you could/should learn.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

One more quick question, I get that when it comes to combos you want as much damage as you can possibly get out of it, but what's kind of the minimum baseline you want to strive for to know your at least on the right track? I managed to throw together a 4605 damage combo for painwheel and I'm not sure whether I'm too low to really do much starting out. Once again, I know as much damage as I can possibly get is the way to go but just as a starting off point.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

One more quick question, I get that when it comes to combos you want as much damage as you can possibly get out of it, but what's kind of the minimum baseline you want to strive for to know your at least on the right track? I managed to throw together a 4605 damage combo for painwheel and I'm not sure whether I'm too low to really do much starting out. Once again, I know as much damage as I can possibly get is the way to go but just as a starting off point.

It differs for every character. Painwheels high end damage midscreen leans toward 7-8k. In the corner it goes up to around 8.5-10.5k

This is off of normal cr.lk starters. 4600 is pretty low for most characters, as well as painwheel. Having said that, if you can find yourself a bnb that does 6.5-7k midscreen you are probably fine for now.

6.5-7k

Well shit...

Alright, I have an idea that's sure to work... However getting drunk and pressing random things until something happens hasn't always worked flawlessly before. Maybe rubbing cosmoline on my nipples would be the better approach.

Well shit...

Alright, I have an idea that's sure to work... However getting drunk and pressing random things until something happens hasn't always worked flawlessly before. Maybe rubbing cosmoline on my nipples would be the better approach.
Just go to the painwheel forums and jack a combo from there.

I'm not at the computer right now, but something like this should get you close and is relatively easy:

Cr.lk,cr.mk,st.hp xx fly down forward j.lk,cr.mk,st.hp xx lk buer, fly, down forward j.lp, cr.mp (4), st.hp xx lp stinger, fly forward plus j.mk, cr.lp,cr.lk,cr.mp(4)st.hp xx lk buer xx deathcrawl.

I'd say find a combo that does about 5k and ultimately optimize it to about 7k (for PW).

You're likely going to have difficulty with inputs, and I'd say getting MU experience and good resets is more important than getting a perfect combo.

If you can consistently hit 5k and reset at will, you'll win more than if you keep dropping your "optimized" combo and can't get the confirm in the first place due to a lack of MU experience.

Can someone help me with Squigly?
I generally play as BigBand, sometimes as BigBand-Peacock.
Once she get's close it's all over for me... Those combos just make me want to quit >.<

This is the beginner thread guys
Are you seriously telling a beginner that the minimum damage for his combo should be 6k+

This is the beginner thread guys
Are you seriously telling a beginner that the minimum damage for his combo should be 6k+

I'm guessing you're talking to Dime, but I think 5k (on PW... not sure on others) is a reasonable goal to work toward. I really try to emphasize getting MU experience early (so long as you can handle losing) and getting to understand the reset game as I think you'll go a lot farther with 5k damage and great resets than 8k damage and no resets.

@Fumako

From Squigly's perspective, BB is always a threat at any range due to Beat Extend. Her j.hp can be pulled in for big hurt at almost full screen, and her dive kicks aren't invulnerable, so they eat anti-air if they are predictable.

She does have decent air cross-up in the form of divekicks and j.mk, so you'll want to be aware on which side she's about to come down on you, but Squigly sitting above you is generally where she wants to be, so don't let that happen.

These are beginner combos:

Parasoul:
c.LK c.MK c.HP
- j.LP j.LK j.MP

Filia:
c.LK c.MK s.HP
- j.MP j.MK(2) xx AD, j.LP j.LK

Fortune:
c.LK s.MK s.HK xx M.Fiber
- j.HP xx AD j.LP j.MP

etc

2-3k ending in a reset point is *MORE* than sufficient.

crazy, for once i actually like what isavulpes said...
as far as dealing with squigly, as said she is vulnerable to anti airs. with big band you can also wake up SSJ if she is pressing buttons. learning to block is important and very hard for newer players and squigly has some nasty stuff she can do. a well timed pushblock can get you the room you need to get away and set up your offense again, though.

These are beginner combos:

Parasoul:
c.LK c.MK c.HP
- j.LP j.LK j.MP

Filia:
c.LK c.MK s.HP
- j.MP j.MK(2) xx AD, j.LP j.LK

Fortune:
c.LK s.MK s.HK xx M.Fiber
- j.HP xx AD j.LP j.MP

etc

2-3k ending in a reset point is *MORE* than sufficient.

I think we agree then. I'm talking about with a super ender. For example,

PW:
c.lk > c.mk > s.hp
x fly > 3j.lk > c.mk > s.hp > lk.buer
> DC

It is effectively two rounds of the same string with the only beginner hang-up being the fly cancel which is important enough to learn that I'd suggest learning it from step one. I'm nowhere near the game right now, but I'd guess that it comes in rounding to 5k, no?

Judging by half of the posts in this thread, I am yet to reach beginner level. One day though, one day...

Judging by half of the posts in this thread, I am yet to reach beginner level. One day though, one day...
don't worry, your mashing abilities are already beyond mankind's reach. You don't need any sort of...knowledge...or advices...or...or...Just don't give a fuck and keep mashing! That's the way we know and love you!

We all start out randomly pressing buttons and hoping something happens, I feel no shame in admitting that's how I got through every character's story mode.

Is there an easy/simple way to deal with Big Band?
I mean, I can't zone him (armor), I can't rush him (mess up and he catches you, half hp bar - gone).

What is THE worst match up for BB?

Usually i play with fuka para i fortune.

He doesn't have a lot of armor. Any attack that hits at least three times should be enough to deal with Brass Knuckles. Also, throws ignore armor. I believe that any character with an abundance of multi-hit moves (Val, Fortune, Fukua) or throws (Cerebella, Fukua) should be able to deal with BK spam.

Yeah, but you have to by pretty fast, right?
To land this 3 hits, before his Knuckles hits with his Brass :D

I was trying to do that with para and cr.mp - rubbish.
Fukua spinning-hair-thingi works great tho

Is there an easy/simple way to deal with Big Band?
I mean, I can't zone him (armor), I can't rush him (mess up and he catches you, half hp bar - gone).
What is THE worst match up for BB?
Usually i play with fuka para i fortune.

id say his worst match up is cerebella.
block and punish a lot against bb. its tough sometimes but it works. i also try to bait out random SSJs too by dropping combos safely to see if they are mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back