• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beta Wulf Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's had a voice chosen for a LONG time, since last year even, but setting up a recording date has proved prohibitively difficult.

*implies that Beowulf's VA is well-known and super busy*

Woo-hoo!

*implies that Beowulf's VA is well-known and super busy*

Woo-hoo!
you can't possible think that Mike Z is actually going to lend his voice to do Beowulf? I mean, don't get me wrong I would love Beowulf just for that alone. But ... it's too good to be true. I mean... right? Please don't make me want this only to have my heart broken. :c

Well the possitive thing is that it is confirmed that the VA is a male. So Beo is gonna be cool. All though.... female Beowulf.... hmmmmm. *scratches chin*

Actual Beo related stuff. Was fooling around with Bella and Beo. and it turns out that if you hit the opponent with a mk Wulf Tackle and then a Devil Horns a couple frame afterward, the opponent will kinda freak out just a little and fly off a tiny bit as if they were hit by the tackle and then fly backwards just like being hit by the devil horns. Looks kinda weird. And i know this is happening because of the collision boxes. Just wanted to note that it looks weird and dumb-ish. and could be used with bella to help convert off of a devil horns midscreen or something.

Reactions: Denizen
If it's true Mike Z's gonna be voicing Beowulf, I think I know what I can expect out of it.

Well Known and super busy. If It's Chris Sabat I'm gonna laugh my ass off.

I cant remember ever having played a solo that wasnt filia or bella in arcade mode. I think MAYBE one time in vanilla it may have hapoened but im probably tripping.

However i do constantly fight against solo filia and bella in arcade mode, ot wouldnt matter if solos werent my most hated ratio to play against, but in all my arcade runs i ALWAYS fight one of them. Sometimes i even fight the same character twice in a row and sometimes i will fight both of them twice in one arcade run.

-edit

It may say random, but if the solo selector always starts at the same place, and always rolls for nearly the same amount of time before making a choice, then perhaps its the "random" timers as well as the pattern being a set pattern.... That could be the culprit.

Probably not since thats so obvious, but its pretty easy to tell that the random solo select is broken in some form since few people have ever played against non filia/bella randoms.

I've fought Solo Peacock once or twice. Otherwise, each Arcade run typically has a couple Solo Filias, and maybe a Solo Bella. I'll try to keep an eye out.

Also, a little quirk I've noticed- each "run" seems to have a character more frequent than the others. It's different per each run, but often there's a character that finds her way onto a bunch of the teams I fight. "Oh, tonight I'm fighting Squigly. And Squigly. And more Squigly."

I mean, it's probably just me finding patterns that aren't there. Thought I'd point it out.

(Also, was there an AI update recently? Peacock seems to have taken lessons from Double about hit confirming to a lvl 1 super.)

Eh? You mean regular Arcade mode? I just looked at the random team code, and it LOOKS like it's just picking random everything. Are you like, 100% sure there's never been solo anyone else?
>.<

It doesn't seem random, I can confirm that I see solo Filia all the time and solo-anyone-else pretty much never.

Pretty sure I've seen a bunch of different characters going solo on arcade but filia and bella are really more common (lk and hp colors respectively for some reason?)

I play arcade tons of times and yeah, the characters repeat themselves most of the times. The only things that vary its assists.

Eh? You mean regular Arcade mode? I just looked at the random team code, and it LOOKS like it's just picking random everything. Are you like, 100% sure there's never been solo anyone else?
>.<
The arcade mode has solos only for Cerebella(palette 3,4), Filia(palette 1,2) and Peacock(palette 4)

I play arcade tons of times and yeah, the characters repeat themselves most of the times. The only things that vary its assists.

The arcade mode has solos only for Cerebella(palette 3,4), Filia(palette 1,2) and Peacock(palette 4)

I think I may have also fought a Solo Fortune last night... not entirely sure. I'll try to pay more attention tonight- I typically do a couple arcade runs after work.

Ive never played against a solo peacock in arcade mode.

Not saying people are lying, at all. Just that it isnt what i play against.

I, like the dave, usually play against solo filia twice in arcade and and solo bella once. On each run.

I don't remember if solopeacock was only on Beta or Encore too. I'll try to catch some screencaps if necessary

Sorry Mike, I'll be patient but not quiet.
I'm forever cursed to always look bad in front of this guy.

The Man still has me on parole but I'm free, for the moment. I don't play arcade mode that often but my experience has been more or less in line with Chicken's statistics. I'd like to see more solos overall.

If people were curious about random, here's my sampling tonight:

Set 1:
  1. Double, Peacock, Fortune
  2. Fortune, Parasoul
  3. Parasoul, Filia, Beowulf
  4. Painwheel, Fukua
  5. Eliza, Cerebella, Big Band
  6. Valentine, Eliza
  7. Beowulf, Big Band, Painwheel
  8. Parasoul, Big Band
Set 2:
  1. Eliza, Double, Peacock
  2. Squigly, Fukua, Painwheel
  3. Peacock, Parasoul
  4. Fukua, Filia, Big Band
  5. Beowulf, Parasoul, Double
  6. Squigly, Eliza, Parasoul
  7. Double, Fukua, Parasoul
  8. Solo Peacock

Seems pretty random. Neither solo Filia nor Cerebella.

Back onto the topic: Wow, Beowulf brings a lot of pain. I'm glad I don't fight him solo very often!

Whoa, I totally know why you'd be WAY more likely to fight solo Filia/Cerebella/Peacock.
It's really stupid, not at all apparent at first glance since the numbers chosen are random, and if I'm right I can fix it super easily.

TL;nerdy stuff
So random number generation in computers isn't really random, everyone should know this. It's a very very long pseudorandom sequence, but if you know the starting value (the "seed") and the algorithm used you can predict the next value, etc.
Anyway, long story short when you create a random number generator the standard practice is to initialize it with the system time, so that it has a 'random' starting value that comes from the real world.
On WINDOWS, the system time as reported to programs only updates every 10 milliseconds, or 100 times a second. It's a really dumb thing that's been around forever.
There are two separate random number generators used in Arcade Mode, one used to pick the team size and one used to pick who is on the team, assists, etc.
So it goes: Create RNG #1, use it to pick team size. Create RNG #2, use it to pick characters.
Team size is something like: Create RNG #1, pick a number out of 100, if number is <= 15, Solo.
Character is something like: Create RNG #2, pick a number out of the number of characters, use that character. Filia is #0, Cerebella is #1, Peacock #2, etc in creation order. (To a computer, numbers start at zero instead of one, for a really short explanation of that. Don't ask.)
But! Since the algorithm used is the same for both RNGs, if both are created within 10 milliseconds of each other - an extremely likely thing since computers are fast and very little happens between the two events - then, because Windows hasn't updated the timer yet, both will be initialized with the same time value and both will PICK THE SAME "RANDOM" NUMBER.
So if RNG #1 is < 15/100, which gives you a Solo, RNG #2 is going to be less than about 2.25...which is 0, 1, or 2, so Filia, Cerebella, or Peacock.

Tada!

The fix would be to use the SAME random number generator in both events, with it being initialized once and having it pick two numbers in sequence. Then you are equally likely to get Solo everyone.
So lemme do that and see if it helps. I'm also gonna increase the chance of seeing a solo slightly.

What kind of monster are you.
A high challenge wouldn't go without a high reward. Maybe some more art and the such... Heh.

I didn't have time to check if someone else addressed this but when Beowulf does his Level 3 without the chair, should the last slam have the ability to grant him his chair back like the other grab finishers and his level 1 super? And if not, why?

I didn't have time to check if someone else addressed this but when Beowulf does his Level 3 without the chair, should the last slam have the ability to grant him his chair back like the other grab finishers and his level 1 super? And if not, why?
It currently doesn't but it's on the list of things to fix.

Is there any point to using the Frog Splash to Referee Pin? Last I checked it uses up three levels of hype that would be better used for other supers. Seems like it's just for show. If anything has changed recently please let me know.

On an unrelated note, Moderators where the fuck is my training diary?

Is there any point to using the Frog Splash to Referee Pin? Last I checked it uses up three levels of hype that would be better used for other supers. Seems like it's just for show. If anything has changed recently please let me know.

On an unrelated note, Moderators where the fuck is my training diary?
IIRC mike responded to that with something like "he's not done yet :^P" so yeah, it's gonna change.

shhhhhh, i think we all dream that the VA is Mike Z himself, think about. Mike has wonderful voice, is well known, and is currently super busy making Beo and working on stuff in the beta/ other stuff for SG. Theoretically it all adds up, but this is just a dream it might not happen.

Isn't this a bad thing? Eliza's VA was well known and super busy, so as a result she sounded kinda phoned in...

I'm still not sure what to think of Eliza's voice. I wouldn't say her lines are bad, they're just often not what I expected. A lot of her in-battle stuff is really good, but "Boys, prepare the limo!" makes me shudder a bit. "I give the orders!" and "How do I look?" are just about perfect, I think.

It's just that it sounds like ANIME voice acting is what put's me off.
"Excuse me!" "Soiled!" and some other lines are funny and charming and I love the delivery, but generally I can't help but think it sounds like an anime dub... which is weird.

I was so pleasantly surprised with Rich Brown so I really hope the same can happen for Beowulf.
And of course I'm not saying if he is played by a well known VA or any anime dubber he'll turn out bad, I'm totally on board for Kyle Herbert for Beowulf, he's very talented and has very suiting voice, I just have played enough badly dubbed video games to know that I need to generally be cautious.

How many palettes does Beowulf have right now?

19 palettes at the moment. 3 were said to be backer palettes, meaning 16 are non-backer ones.

As Lab Zero's standard approach is to provide 18 palettes for every character before backer ones, I'm guessing we can expect 2 more. That is assuming all of those that are in beta will stay, which is not 100% certain.

Damn, there goes my hope for Kamina Beo.

I hope his palettes get shuffled around, it's strange having your secondary/blue color being Batman.

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
I hope he gets a palette that's stated as original, but in reality it's a reference to an important yet unrevealed character in Skullgirls.

I hope he gets a palette referencing another SG character or a part of his story, that's always cool.
I do love those, Blood Eliza, BunnyBella, Past Filia...
Maybe Beowulf went through several monikers and costumes over the years? That'd be cool.
Or what if he got an Egret palette (if him being a veteran proves true)

Or even a Grendel palette that uses a giant Beowulf arm!

Now I'm all excited for Beo's story again...

I do love those, Blood Eliza, BunnyBella, Past Filia...
Maybe Beowulf went through several monikers and costumes over the years? That'd be cool.
I hope so too
step_and_repeat_by_emlan-d66mnh1.png

The occasional FAQ with Alex Ahad combined with my near perfect predictions gives me a good idea of what Beowulf is like as a character.

I wonder if any of the palettes he is a reference to his VA.

Yooooo, Lala you're so smart. Someone compile a list of the VAs for the characters that Beo's palettes reference. Maybe we can find a pattern, I doubt it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.