• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Big Band Tech Thread: Small/Big Tips & Strategy YOU Notice?

Nah. That's busted, and I was looking for an example with Parasoul.

Just want to say that I was joking and I love your work. :)

Do your thing, Mr. Z.

You don't have to wallbounce for this (or rather: the same effect), though. Anything where you snap out the point while keeping the assist near and in front of you is fine.
There are a good bunch of assist setups for this (most notably with Center Stage, but there are more),
and I'm 99% sure you can do this with other solo setups where eg the assist weight differences make you hit only the point with the snap -
eg Parasoul can do [c.MK c.HP > j.MK j.HP xx L.Toss, j.HP > s.MP 4HK xx Snap], except here she doesn't recover fast enough from the Snap as the OTG has been used up already - but I'm pretty sure someone WILL find a working one.

Squigly and Val get to keep theirs right? Since it cost two meters and all.

rofl. I like it. That's the kind of mixup that's completely guaranteed the first time someone sees it.

There's some fun mixups for peacock/Big Band that involve A Train as an assist.

Showcases some of the potential. (will be up in 20-30ish min)
Notes:
You only get one assist for your combo. (you can't reset with A.Train after resetting once with it in a row)
Assist can be reset after a grab.
You can't combo fully off a grab but the first launcher can lead to another grab or A.Train.
You can combo completely off of A.Train reset or lead into a grab reset.

Not sure if this works w/ other characters.(filia/band, fukua/band, etc...) Try it out and tell me if it does!

It's not a mix up, but Big Band can do some smooth combos. This one is smiple, all you have to do is time the jumping :HK: so that you can tech before the opponent can escape the combo.

Here is a more advanced combo for all you peeps. Three Wall Bounces Baby.

Here's some dirty stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you convert off that burst bait if you don't have excellabella assist?

Can you convert off that burst bait if you don't have excellabella assist?

Aye you can, just do a delayed standing :HP: or a charged :MK: "A Train" if you want to keep it simple with a super at the end.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Aye you can, just do a delayed standing :HP: or a charged :MK: "A Train" if you want to keep it simple with a super at the end.
that is so sick!

that is so sick!

Thanks, I guess... I'm going to be making a full tutorial on Big Band as soon as he comes out. So you have something to look forward to.

Can't you block the anti-air grabs?

After a burst bait?
Yeah, wasn't that one of the beta changes that were kept?

Yeah, wasn't that one of the beta changes that were kept?
Oh, quite possibly, I haven't tried to anti air grab after burst bait... because why would you do that when you could go for a heavy counterhit into death combo instead.

How strict is the timing on the first reset?

How strict is the timing on the first reset?

funny enough, the timing has to perfect on the crouching :MK: for you have to cancel it into the :LK: A Train automatically. If you miss time the kick the opponent will pop out either on the opposite side or will land on the too early or too late for the grab to connect.

That's pretty dirty. Good stuff!

That is dirtier than the slums, and I won't be surprised if it ends up patched out in the future.

Here's some dirty stuff.

Bonus points for Godot.

That is dirtier than the slums, and I won't be surprised if it ends up patched out in the future.
Cerebella has had "anti air ground throws" since vanilla, so if this is what tips it over, I call shenanigans!

Edit: The first reset you see in the video is inescapable you can't mash super or jump out. Why? you ask. Because the opponent is both in the air and on the ground at the same time as they are being grabbed by :LK: "A Train" making it impossible to jump or to do any inputs. This is evil stuff and I feel dirty just showing it to you people.
Eh, mind if I ask for some actual proof of that? Like, dummy-record it with hitboxes on and hold Up, or do it on slow-mo.
But do it to PLAYER ONE, not P2. There's a bug in training mode that gives P2 a frame of vulnerable after hitstun/blockstun with certain settings.
Jump-land is invincible to throws if the opponent is holding Up, so I'd be curious to see this work.

[edit] 32 seconds of intro is obnoxious.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Are you suggesting that A-Train is causing preblock which doesn't allow you to jump? Because I'm more than sure that holding up lets you escape throws as you are landing, just like every other grab in the game.

Regardless of that, it's pretty tricky since it looks like he is about to do brass knuckle.

Eh, mind if I ask for some actual proof of that? Like, dummy-record it with hitboxes on and hold Up, or do it on slow-mo.
But do it to PLAYER ONE, not P2. There's a bug in training mode that gives P2 a frame of vulnerable after hitstun/blockstun with certain settings.
Jump-land is invincible to throws if the opponent is holding Up, so I'd be curious to see this work.

oh dear... when I tested the set up with the playback it was on player two... you mean to tell me that it's not possible? Aw crud... I feel like a fool now.

I'm sorry. All of these set ups can be escaped through jumping or mashing super. please ignore my statement on the first set up being "inescapable".

I'll just stop making videos now... :(

Nah, don't be so hard on yourself, that one's entirely my fault.
Training dummy bugs suck. I've been trying to fix that one for a while and can't.
Do try vs P1 though.

Well... you can block an anti air grab if you had burst and the burst hits the opponent. If the burst does not hit you will be grabbed and it will count as a counter hit, so yeah.

Example here:

Edit: The first reset you see in the video is inescapable you can't mash super or jump out. Why? you ask. Because the opponent is both in the air and on the ground at the same time as they are being grabbed by :LK: "A Train" making it impossible to jump or to do any inputs. This is evil stuff and I feel dirty just showing it to you people.
The intro and outro of this video make up like 33% of the total video length

Don't do that

And with that said, Our hero went back into the shadows... Scheming for his next strike at the BIG BAND

And with that said, Our hero went back into the shadows... Scheming for his next strike at the BIG BAND

The Band will never fall.... the band will never fall... the band will never fall.

Man I don't even know anymore... I need sleep real bad now.

あかいちょう get me away from this computer right now. Please...

Reactions: Killjoy
In training mode, there is an option "Death Allowed" just under the meter options. Characters will stay at 1 health from death combos unless death is enabled.
Not a bug unless death is allowed.

In training mode, there is an option "Death Allowed" just under the meter options. Characters will stay at 1 health from death combos unless death is enabled.
Not a bug unless death is allowed.

Death was allowed, re-watch the video you see me have it selected at "yes".

Also this is not a bug. kinda... you see Satchmo Death Blow acts like Ultimate Showstopper where if the super is guaranteed to kill it will do so at the last hit. And due to neither of these supers connecting the last blow there for the opponent is left standing, alive with one pixel of health. So in the end, I'd just shrug and call it a night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broseidon Rex
I might as well contribute my first post to one of my favorite characters, even if it is kind of a small thing to note.

I like using c.HP a little too much, given its insane range, but I also like the ability to psych out your opponent with an A Train afterward.
For example:
P2 *insert character you hate here* charges you with the intent to kill.
P1 *insert Big Band here* uses c.HP. Based on what the opponent did, you have some options.
If they get hit:
1. Use the M or H version of A Train.
2. Start some kind of combo or something.
If they block:
1. Use whichever version of A Train that would hit, if they blocked in the air, use M, and if they block on the ground, use L. I'm sure that's kind of self-explanatory, but just in case. :)
2. Use a Beat Extend to shake things up. (-_-)
3. Use Giant Step if you know they're blocking low.

Like I said, this is a pretty small thing to note. But sometimes we all forget the simple things, like that move that's really useful that we forget about because we didn't use it enough in Training Mode or something. You know what I mean.

My resets that I use. All of these are at least 50/50 and they can be done during like any point of any combo

(Warning: I'm really dumb and don't know how to edit videos, so the mic volume fluctuates a lot, and it gets really loud at some points.)

If you play Big Band you probably want to watch this stuff.