• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Big Band Tech Thread: Small/Big Tips & Strategy YOU Notice?

If you play Big Band you probably want to watch this stuff.

Here is a slightly different setup of the same reset that is first shown in Icky's Video. It has different options and can be switched with either reset during a match to keep you opponent guessing.

At this point I can't even tell if people are making fun or not...

I'm looking for a good j.HK counterhit combo as my midscreen burst bait followup as its the only heavy I can seem to consistently land.

I'm not sure what the best setup into the 50/50 is. I can get better followups for 5MK MK 5HP > delay sj.HP but that is pretty wonky looking and I think it may be reactable whether you are going for the throw or not.

Straight outa 5HP or 5MK MK is the option I usually use and that's why I've been going for j.HK as my counterhit starter. With the OTG though I'm struggling to get much going haha.

The song thread is way longer than this one. Do any of you actually play this character :x

I found relevant to the Big Band mirror yesterday. So you know how Cymbal Clash is good right? Well maybe not, I still see a lot of Big Bands not using this move ever. It's a good zoning tool, makes it pretty hard to get in on Big Band. If it whiffs or gets blocked you can follow it up with a rush punch (the L version usually works) which will check them if they try to move or do anything. Then if they don't do anything out of respect for the rush punch you can use that hesitation to go in.

Anyways Cymbal Clash is good. So if the other Big Band is doing that a lot you can actually A-Train it, because it doesn't have a disjointed hitbox anymore. You gotta do it late because Cymbal Clash is multi hitting and will break the armor on A-Train.

@Tomo009 I'm not ignoring you I just don't know the answer to your question :x I just air grab after a burst bait which I realize isn't optimal but it's just the best way I know to convert in that situation.

Pretty sure it's practical to just dash up c.mk after a burst bait
Who needs heavy counterhits

Reactions: Icky and mcpeanuts
Pretty sure it's practical to just dash up c.mk after a burst bait
Who needs heavy counterhits
I play ratio 3 so to get those burst bait kills it is pretty much necessary even with BB

Some weird pre-block hitbox shenanigans. You literally can't block this. It either hits or whiffs :p I was able to parry it once by hitting forward(?????) relative to the defender's starting side (so in this video, pressing right), but if you hold back (relative to defender's starting side) the brass will hit.

1st time: held left
2nd time: held right (his preblock hitbox dodged the hit)
3rd time: held right + pressed a button

I'm stuck in the lab for all this summer so a whole bunch a band junk is going to come out. Hold onto your seats folks.

What are hit-boxes in this game? @Mike_Z plz fix game so hit-boxes are a thing. (sarcasm)

Reactions: Shooon
I'm going to count this as Big Band tech since it revolves around his attributes as to why it works.

Part of this video is just Bella/Parasoul, sorry. Anyways, yeah, he's fat as hell, so just call him and backthrow into him and he's a free wall to convert off your back throw if your character has trouble doing that. I don't think a lot of characters have this issue. Maybe only Bella benefits from it. Or Squigly? Yeah.

EDIT: SO. I don't have video yet, but...

Rickoni wanted me to play with HK ATrain instead and what he wanted didn't work out.. but funny thing.

If you use HK ATrain assist, he's SO FAT and moves SO FAR FORWARD... you can convert off forward Cerebella throw because he hops in the way and acts as a wall.

Lmfao if you don't love it though.

Last edited:
Has anyone recently come up with any 50/50 resets that don't require an assist, or any crossup resets (still preferred 50/50, but as long as it's a crossup) that don't require an assist?

I've seen blah blah sHP HK A-Train Brake do things. Can be kind of ambiguous? @Icky

other than my Tricky video, nah. The HK A Train thingy might work on players who aren't looking. Maybe. It's just that the brake takes a couple of frames to happen and that might give the opponent enough time to react. *shrugs* but hey it might happen to me of all people.

I've seen blah blah sHP HK A-Train Brake do things. Can be kind of ambiguous? @Icky
In what way? Does the hk a-train not combo and hit on the other side? Can you cancel into emergency brake and do a cross under? I'll mess around with it myself in a little bit, just wondering what this gets you

Reactions: gllt
In what way? Does the hk a-train not combo and hit on the other side? Can you cancel into emergency brake and do a cross under? I'll mess around with it myself in a little bit, just wondering what this gets you
It whiffs on brake and you get left/right crossunder mix up

Reactions: Icky
Yeah only s HP. into MK A Train combos, the HK version whiffs so I could see an air grab or a cross under happening from that.

Cool :D I'll definitely mess around with it! Thank you, thank you!
Yeah only s HP. into MK A Train combos, the HK version whiffs so I could see an air grab or a cross under happening from that.
Very good to know, shame i don't ever use combos that involve st.hp xx mk a-train, seems like it could be a good fakeout if people are used to you doing that. Regardless, going to mess around with it tonight

I've been doing this
It's a bit slow (Though not as slow as the proposed s.hp alternatives) but I've had it work a fair bit

I've been doing this
It's a bit slow (Though not as slow as the proposed s.hp alternatives) but I've had it work a fair bit
No man, that's great! Thanks a fuck ton :D

Yeah I dig these resets, nasty. Don't mind if I use 'em, aye? Oh it doesn't matter I'm taking them anyways.

Reactions: Icky
Has anyone recently come up with any 50/50 resets that don't require an assist, or any crossup resets (still preferred 50/50, but as long as it's a crossup) that don't require an assist?
Plenty of them.

air throw / burst bait 50/50

low / throw 50/50

2LK / giant step 50/50 (I hardly do this though, giant step is kinda bad)

Launch / 5MK > emergency brake 50/50s (kinda hard to do and you can be bopped on the way down)

beat extend stuffs, there is more to this than just 2MK 5HK xx 214LK or 2MK throw, you can do whatever, really.

Plenty of them.

air throw / burst bait 50/50

low / throw 50/50

2LK / giant step 50/50 (I hardly do this though, giant step is kinda bad)

Launch / 5MK > emergency brake 50/50s (kinda hard to do and you can be bopped on the way down)

beat extend stuffs, there is more to this than just 2MK 5HK xx 214LK or 2MK throw, you can do whatever, really.
Thanks, but I meant setups into stuff like this, like the launch > emergency brake 50/50 you mentioned. But that was already pointed out above

Thanks, but I meant setups into stuff like this, like the launch > emergency brake 50/50 you mentioned. But that was already pointed out above
Well my main reset points are after 5MK jump loops.

For an example of things I do:

2LK 2MK 5HP
j.MP j.HP j.HK
tech forward
2HK xx 623HP

RESET POINT: usually using 2MK. You can do 2MK 5HK xx 214LK, you can do 2MK into low/throw. You can do 5MK into emergency brake.

j.LK j.MK

RESET POINT: Let's call this my "main" reset point. Straight up low/throw, 214LK immediately up landing, [4]6LK on landing but usually I would just normal throw. I also do assist stuff here but you said without.

5MK (MK sometimes > HP even more sometimesier)

RESET POINT: Air reset point. air throw/burst bait 50/50. Emergency brake riskiness.

j.LP j.LK j.MK

RESET POINT: Main reset point.

5LK 5MK (MK sometimes > HP even more sometimesier)

RESET POINT: Air reset point.

2LP LP 2MK/5MK (for Parasoul) 5HK xx [4]6HK xx 236PP

Thank you Tomo009 but again, this stuff is already in the thread, some of it even being things that I myself have posted x_x

And Krackatoa, that is disgusting. I mean that in a good "I hope i never play against you" sort of way <3 Shame I don't use cilia slide, know how to play double, or have intentions of learning her Dx

good ol assist + command throw to break the game. It's not the only one of its kind, I really like how the assist shields you from most harm though, that team looks disgusting.

@Icky , well, that's pretty much the basis of the (non gimmicky) reset game without assist usage, so not sure what you are looking for haha.

good ol assist + command throw to break the game. It's not the only one of its kind, I really like how the assist shields you from most harm though, that team looks disgusting.

@Icky , well, that's pretty much the basis of the (non gimmicky) reset game without assist usage, so not sure what you are looking for haha.
I'm looking for new tech that people may not have posted that has practical uses

I'm looking for new tech that people may not have posted that has practical uses
pfffffffht don't look at me pal, I'm made of nothing but impractical combos.

pfffffffht don't look at me pal, I'm made of nothing but impractical combos.
Ninja, I like your tech, but most of it doesn't apply to me since I don't use excellebella :'(

resets? uhhhhhhhhhhh... I don't feel so good. I need to lay down.
Oh and you swap out one reset with another in the chain. but you can only do three resets in a chain. if you do get more resets then you must have let some of the dizzy go down before the reset happened.

When I play as Big Band against Squigly, I can't use Beat Extend after ground throw on midscreen, which means that I'll have to use MK Giant Step to pull Squigly and start the combo at her.

That's cause of Squiglies' funky hitbox, some combos and setups are either not going to work on her or are going to be a lot trickier to pull off. Personally just go for the simple stuff and if she trys to do any jumping HP shenanigans just A Train. Don't meat her in the air she has better moves and will beat Band 9 times out of 10.

Reactions: Compa
Does anyone have a burst bait that can be set up in this combo?

c.lk> c.mk> s.hp> jump> j.mp> j.hp> j.hk> ground tech> c.hk> H beat extend> j.lk> j.mk> land> j.lp> j.lk> j.mk> land> c.lp> c.mk> s.hk> H A'train

It turns out there is a way to be at frame advantage after an emergency break without knocking down

The hitstun from playing a note with s.mp is long enough that you can be at +2 frames if you do the earliest possible emergency break after it
I don't have any great applications for this yet, but it can be used as a general high/low/throw reset point when the opponent doesn't expect you to recover before them.

It turns out there is a way to be at frame advantage after an emergency break without knocking down

The hitstun from playing a note with s.mp is long enough that you can be at +2 frames if you do the earliest possible emergency break after it
I don't have any great applications for this yet, but it can be used as a general high/low/throw reset point when the opponent doesn't expect you to recover before them.
That's really good, especially since s.MP is kind of the "do this move by accident then get yourself killed" move. Doing it on purpose as part of a setup is really sneaky. Also I think generally people know Emergency Brake is normally negative so if they're like "oh he did Emergency Brake, I'm gonna push lots of buttons" that part of it can trick them as well. Like I am pretty sure even though you told me about this setup I would probably still get hit by it.

Reactions: punchy1234
Actually here's a thing
It's pretty tricky to execute, but it does work on every character to some extent.

That's good too, maaaaaaaaaaaan can I learn all these setups with 9 days to go before Evo? I'm gonna try

Reactions: punchy1234
Here's some practical stuff

You can probably use a vertically-hitting assist to do safer left/right mixups with this
If they don't burst on the first hit, they'll either get a hard knockdown or a (safe) burst in the corner, leaving you at frame advantage with good positioning.

Get a taunt at frame advantage without compromising positioning! You can drop those gimmick assists now.

For this to be a legit burst bait, you need otg and sound stun unused, otherwise they can ground tech. If they don't burst, it's an untechable knockdown, and it'll work even if they burst on the first hit. Pretty good after a ground throw since you're not gonna get a lot of damage out of that anyway! Doesn't work on Cerebella.

Is that taunt really safe? I'll try it out for myself because if you can really combo into taunt without assist and stay at plus frames, that's incredible, but it's tough to tell from the video. It would have been nice if you had set the dummy to jab as a reversal.