• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Big Band Tech Thread: Small/Big Tips & Strategy YOU Notice?

Is that taunt really safe? I'll try it out for myself because if you can really combo into taunt without assist and stay at plus frames, that's incredible, but it's tough to tell from the video. It would have been nice if you had set the dummy to jab as a reversal.
The frame data is displayed at the bottom, it's +2 and +6 respectively

The frame data is displayed at the bottom, it's +2 and +6 respectively
I see. I didn't have the video maximized and didn't notice that (it's pretty hard to read even now that I know it's there).

Not sure I would sacrifice extra damage in a combo for a taunt. I usually just taunt after A-Train since it throws them in the corner anyways

Reactions: Tomo009
Not sure I would sacrifice extra damage in a combo for a taunt. I usually just taunt after A-Train since it throws them in the corner anyways
Taunting after brass or a-train actually leaves you at a pretty significant frame disadvantage, so it's only really not a bad idea if you're far from the corner yourself. This is for when you have them in the corner, doing resets and keeping up the Big pressure and stuff.

Taunting after brass or a-train actually leaves you at a pretty significant frame disadvantage, so it's only really not a bad idea if you're far from the corner yourself. This is for when you have them in the corner, doing resets and keeping up the Big pressure and stuff.

From midscreen and further it's decently safe against anyone who isn't Peacock/doesn't have LVL3. It still leaves them closer to the corner than I am and doesn't sacrifice damage, too.

From midscreen and further it's decently safe against anyone who isn't Peacock/doesn't have LVL3. It still leaves them closer to the corner than I am and doesn't sacrifice damage, too.
You're giving up a mixup for that though. With this superior method, you get a taunt AND a mixup
Edit: Not that this is a replacement for anything. Previously, you couldn't get a taunt in the corner. Now you can!

You're giving up a mixup for that though. With this superior method, you get a taunt AND a mixup

I mostly get taunts off of A-Train jump reads (as opposed to comboing into it), so there's no sacrificed damage other than SSJ.

Still, this is a neat setup and I'm curious if anyone will take to using it

I just use Cerebella's Excerebella assist to help out Band have taunts in mid combo. also helps with burst bait and resets too. Jazzy Diamond.

Yeah Yeah judge me why don't ya. Mike Z has all ready done it to me.

I rarely ever taunt at all to be honest, but when I do I wouldn't be sacrificing hard momentum or a solid knockdown for it. +2 is hardly an amazing frame advantage, though I can see the use of it, the tech chase aspect is what makes me weary, especially in the corner where you might be giving up positioning.

I don't think I value the taunt as much as other Big Band players, to me it is a nice bonus when I kill in a situation where I can cancel into it and still get incoming pressure, otherwise I'd rather be doing something else. It never guarantees anything anyway.

I love BB taunt and do think i would sacrifice some damage to get it. Because it does incredible damage, especially in happy birthdays... But much more importantly, allows BB to do corner ssj enders without sacrificing position. Ssj with no position sacrifice is awesome. Then, if you dont use him at anchor, you can raw tag in another character and continue the combo that BB started, then do a super, then dhc into ssj for hilarious damage, and what is basically a 2 meter bnb.

But i guess at the end of the day... I just want to hit people with taunt ssj ender... That shit is too real.

It can sacrifice position though, because they can tech.

Also I hardly think giving up a full combo into reset/pressure is worth extra damage on your next combo. At least for me, it just feels like the sacrifice far outweighs what I gain.

I tried to see if I could get the safe taunt setup to work off of air grab, since it's actually pretty common that I'll land an air grab while I'm at max undizzy. In that situation getting the taunt and trying to chase their tech is arguably better than going for an immediate reset.

Anyways I was trying to do like air grab, j.MK, s.MKx2 c.HP xx Taunt. I concluded that a) yeah, it works (against Squigly at least, didn't try it on anyone else), and b) it's hard as fuck. If it's not timed right the c.HP whiffs cause Squigly would be too high for it to connect. It seems like the way to time it right is to do j.MK while you're still very high in the air, but that makes the s.MK link much harder. You do get the +6 frame advantage off all this but given how situational it is I'm not sure it's something I want to spend a lot of time practicing :x

So I found out today that Big Band can punish blocked fullscreen Argus by blocking the first part, jumping/superjumping, doing timpani, and hovering over to Peacock (he'll always arrive before Argus ends). If Peacock was in the corner, you can continue this into a full combo.

Last edited:
So I found out today that Big Band can punish blocked fullscreen Argus by blocking the first part, jumping/superjumping, doing timpani, and hovering over to Peacock (he'll always arrive before Argus ends). If Peacock was in the corner, you can continue this into a full combo.
I think this only works if you block Argus from full screen. I've tried it from closer and I couldn't jump high enough to avoid the smaller projectiles.

Reactions: dMags
OR... You. Can. Just. Air. Parry. The. Whole. Thing. Like. A. Boss. Because. Parry. Is. Fun. And. Will. Scare. The. Opponent. Allowing. You. To. Do. A. Nice. Meaty. On. Their. Little. Cock.

I just want to point out that I mentioned he could do s.MK->cr.HP xx taunt to be at most like -4 against the entire cast BEFORE HE WAS RELEASED and nobody cared.
Why is this now news? :^P

Airthrow, falling MK \/ s.LK->s.MK->cr.HP xx taunt also works easily on everyone and gives you the same difference.

If you pbgc the first laser into jump, you can probably make it over the argus second set of lasers since you recover from the first set faster.

Some tech I have found out. Burst baits and crossup stuff. Will upload videos maybe. Some of the burst baits require precise timing to hit the edge of the character's hitbox. The first two require you to neutral jump, meaning not jumping forward, but only upwards.
The burst baits work on characters when they burst on the first hit. For other characters, MK a train can be used to armour through the burst if it is predicted.

Burst baits:

1. Corner only, works on everyone
stuff into s.MK NEUTRAL JUMP j.LP j.LK j.MP land s.LP
If you think they won't burst, you can do s.lp s.mk xx MK A-train.
This can armour through reacted bursts, you can jump and grab then afterwards, like in zeknife's video.

2. Corner only, works on everyone except Cerebella and Double.
stuff into s.MK NEUTRAL JUMP j.LP j.MK j.HP land, immediate j.LP LP cymbal clash for burst.
You can chain the last part into MK a-train if you think they're not going to burst. Alternatively you can jump grab after j.HP.

3. Corner only, requires sound stun, and works on everyone.
stuff into c.LP c.MP c.HP s.LPx2
If you think they won't burst, you can do s.lp s.mk xx MK A-train.

4. Midscreen, only works on Painwheel, Fortune and Valentine
stuff into s.MK j.LP j.LK j.MK land delayed s.LP

Other stuff:

Emergency brake crossunders:
stuff into s.HP xx HP Brass xx Emergency brake
If done right, you will crossunder your opponent. It requires precise timing.
You can also grab them instead by doing s.HP xx LP Brass xx Emergency brake (immediate) jump grab
Please note you can also do s.mk s.HP instead of just s.HP. I'm not sure how it affects the timing of the crossunders though.

j.MK whiffed crossovers:
stuff into s.MK j.LP j.MKx2 whiff, j.LK crossover
This works on everyone except big band.

c.MK crossup on incoming:
Simple but effective, you can use c.MK's big hitbox to crossup your opponent on incoming and combo with s.HP afterwards. Can also be used done into emergency brake crossunder to keep them in the corner.

EDIT: forgot to specify whether or not the burst baits were corner/midscreen specific. Sorry!

Last edited:
If you pbgc the first laser into jump, you can probably make it over the argus second set of lasers since you recover from the first set faster.
Hmm this would be interesting to test.

EDIT: Doesn't really seem to work...

HOWEVER I can get superjump back Timpani from round start positioning every time consistently. Timpani moves your hurtbox upwards which helps.

EDIT2 : In fact this seems to work all the way up until the range where you could reliably trade lights with cock or SSJ works because of its speed.

Last edited:
I might have found something that's unparryable.

In training mode I set Double to land her j.hp a frame or three before Cerecopter became active and I had no success parrying it, even at around 25% speed (with that said, I am a noob at this). Can someone else test/confirm this?

I might have found something that's unparryable.

In training mode I set Double to land her j.hp a frame or three before Cerecopter became active and I had no success parrying it, even at around 25% speed (with that said, I am a noob at this). Can someone else test/confirm this?
okay let's see here.... mmmmmmhhh nope that's parryable. You just to get your groove on man when you want to parry. there is slight pause inbetween the copter and the birdy come into contact. it's a little funky but nothing hard.

If you want to get better at parrying just master parrying one special move/ super everyday. it should help. Save Nightmare Legion for last, use it as a test of some sorts.

Reactions: Kankato
I just thought of something: If I can hit-confirm it, I thought I could use cr.hp to get sound stun and tag out to somebody else without a need for any meter. Does it work?

I just thought of something: If I can hit-confirm it, I thought I could use cr.hp to get sound stun and tag out to somebody else without a need for any meter. Does it work?
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh that's really interesting actually. Man and it's gonna be like 8 hours before I can check to see if it works. First thing I think of is Double's tag, that seems like the one that's most likely to reach from a max range c.HP.

Well sir, this can work in the corner with Val's tag in, double's, Eliza's, Painwheel's, and if you are just a little out the corner Filia's pathetic tag in can also connect. Bella, Squigly, and Parasoul won't get much off the tag in.

Edit: Painwheel's tag in is midscreen only. And forget about peacock, fortune, and somewhat Squigly ( you're going to need to sandwich them with BB in the corner and Squilgy's grave outside of it.) Their tag ins aint gonna combo off of cr. Hp

Last edited:
I wrote about using soundstun to combo into tag in my sg journal a while back. (Heh)

An interesting thing to note is that if you tag into painwheel while shes not installed, the opponent cant break the tag, whereas if she is is installed, they cant.

Another couple of interesting things is i dont think raw tags add undizzy (can someone confirm this?) and painwheels hatred installed raw tag does 1800 damage... So it is definitely something worth looking into comboing into. Unfortunately ive been away from a computer for awhile so i cant test things right now.

If you do raw tag and it combos, it does add dizzy if there is dizzy already there. Example: Eliza combo into BB hard Tag. (It's not a lot but it does add dizzy) and if you just do a cr Hp with BB and do Painwheel's hard tag the damage would be 1500. so yeah... cr hp does 1000, the hard tag, 500. doing the same combo with Install does 2100. so it's better I guess. a raw grab with install is 2300. so not much damage is being lost here.

Reactions: Dime
Good stuff, but painwheels tag uninstalled is breakable... Whether combod or not... Thats the primary distinction between the 2 tags... Besides damage.

yeah I knew that. but not many people tech grabs that can be combo-ed, grab right off stagger stuff like that. People just ain't looking out for it, me included.

I just wanted to ask how many of you guys use kara special moves with BB?
In case you guys somehow didn't know this, Mk moves your "point" forward with big band, and can be canceled super early to increase the range of a special move by a nice margin, this works with Hk as well, but it's a lot slower and there's not much difference in range. But I mean. it seems useful, y'know? being able to make your dashes travel full screen or playing around with the range of giant step to play with people's heads.

But I'm a Bad Band, so most tech is lost on me.

I just wanted to ask how many of you guys use kara special moves with BB?
In case you guys somehow didn't know this, Mk moves your "point" forward with big band, and can be canceled super early to increase the range of a special move by a nice margin, this works with Hk as well, but it's a lot slower and there's not much difference in range. But I mean. it seems useful, y'know? being able to make your dashes travel full screen or playing around with the range of giant step to play with people's heads.

But I'm a Bad Band, so most tech is lost on me.
I really only use this against Peacock. H Brass sometimes doesn't reach her from full screen depending on what she's doing, but kara H Brass always works. Even then I don't do it that often because I'm bad at it.

I use it a lot on all versions of brass (there's rarely a time when it doesnt make brass better) i havent thought to use it on giant step or beat extend... But i will probably try those out now that I'm aware that they might be good.

But yeah, L brass getting a range increase makes it into a seriously great poke, whereas m brass becomes like h brass, only with faster frames... And h brass goes full screen instead of like 5/6ths.

If you add an assist to the regular e-break crossup, you can make it a lot faster, possibly unreactable as far as left/right goes
Probably works with most assists that reach decently high up, and of course you can also air throw after the s.mk

In the video I call the assist after s.mk but before hp brass, you can do assist + hp brass in the same input and it'll still work, but that's a bit slower.

^^
Ive been trying to use excebella pretty much just for this. Once you figure the timing to call assist and crossunder its pretty much random left/right. Then if they do block it it knocks the opp back over the top of you so its a double crossup. Pretty sweet.

You don't have to do the e-break. You can just do H a-train.

If they do manage to block it though using the ebrake would make it a lot harder to punish you. Lockdown assists wouldnt really matter though.

Let's talk hitconfirms

While it's true that starting a combo with c.lk > c.mk > whatever will get you more damage thanks to scaling, going for c.mp seems far superior most of the time, as far as hitconfirms go

Most of these moves have a Lot of hitstun, so with c.lk > c.mp you can really stagger the hits and it'll still combo, letting you confirm that you're hitting before you press a heavy. You can safely do practical blockstring enders like c.hk to catch up-back, anything into lp brass to make it pretty safe, c.mp(x2) > c.hp > lk giant step is usually really safe midscreen since it pushes the opponent far away, lk a-train etc, or just doing nothing since c.mp is already safe on block (-2 on the first hit, -5 on the second, lp brass is -6)
If the opponent hasn't pushblocked and just blocks while anticipating a heavy or special, you can simply wait and mix them up with low/throw

c.mk is -3 on block which is really good, but you usually have to commit to a less safe heavy move before you can react to it being blocked. I think it's only a good idea to use if you already know it's going to hit.

I go for c.MK in blockstrings less for scaling and more because the vacuum makes the rest of the combo more consistent. Sometimes with c.MP they get pushed too far away for the whole combo to connect, at least in my experience.

Fairly certain lk A-train will whiff if you use it after a blocked cr.mp, regardless if you did 1 or 2 hits. I think it only connects off of blocked lights, too much blockstun after that

Fairly certain lk A-train will whiff if you use it after a blocked cr.mp, regardless if you did 1 or 2 hits. I think it only connects off of blocked lights, too much blockstun after that
There is never too much blockstun for lk a-train, unless you're calling an assist
It's not the best mixup, since you don't get a lot out of it, but I also know for a fact I have gotten hit by it every time someone has used it against me in a blockstring.