• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Big Band Tech Thread: Small/Big Tips & Strategy YOU Notice?

Does that cross-up scenario only work on a character like Squigly or can this be applied to the rest of the cast (Besides bulky characters like Big Band and Double I assume)?
If so, I am totally using this corner set-up against my friends.
It works on every light, but they have to be pretty high up above big band and you need to start with s.lp instead of c.lp. Squigly is the only character that it works that low on and subsequently is the only one that really looks ambiguous (when I do it on other lights, good players usually block it the first try in my experience).

I should also point out that I chain c.mk to s.hk before cancelling to beat extend. The first few frames of s.hk move him forward which is what makes the setup work.

I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever seen a Big Band e-brake cancel a successful throw.
Done early enough it's +13, allows the usual midscreen bnb to be used (6.5~ k) and opens up dumb mixups like throw, e-brake, throw.
I always do this, I find it easier than the dash 2MK conversions.

It works on every light, but they have to be pretty high up above big band and you need to start with s.lp instead of c.lp. Squigly is the only character that it works that low on and subsequently is the only one that really looks ambiguous (when I do it on other lights, good players usually block it the first try in my experience).

I should also point out that I chain c.mk to s.hk before cancelling to beat extend. The first few frames of s.hk move him forward which is what makes the setup work.
You do cr.mk, e-brake which is safer if they block, and slower, but you can choose if it's a left or right mixup depending on how late you cancel brass into e-brake

I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever seen a Big Band e-brake cancel a successful throw.
Done early enough it's +13, allows the usual midscreen bnb to be used (6.5~ k) and opens up dumb mixups like throw, e-brake, throw.
Oh my god I love you. This is amazing.

Reactions: Fedora_Ninja
Don't know if this is common knowledge or not, apologies if it is

This ones for all 5 of you Excellebella assist users

I was doing some messing around with Big Band's BnB corner combo the other day and found out something interesting. If you are doing a corner combo and you are about to end with the Excellebella assist, have a charge buffered prior and flick forwards as you hit the assist button as if you were releasing a brass knuckles; You'll send out a MP Brass Knuckles which will hit a very few amount of frames prior to Cerebella grabbing the opponent netting you a small increase in overall combo damage. The drawback however is your time to perform your taunt input is going to be severely reduced and you're going to have to sacrifice HK A-Train for MK A-Train (don't get me wrong you'll still deal more damage overall so this isn't really even a problem) as the recovery frames of the MP Brass Knuckles will bleed into the active frames of Excellebella. I'm not sure whether you can buffer some of the inputs for your taunt in the recovery frames of the MP Brass Knuckles, my testing of it has shown that you can't, however this might just be a case of me being shitty at inputs.

I made a WebM of it in action here: http://a.pomf.se/fqlwor.webm

With the (sHK, MP Brass Knuckles, Excellebella, Taunt, MK A-Train, SSJ) finisher variant, the overall damage for the combo was 10403 (2v2)
The same combo, using the default ending (sHK, Excellebella, Taunt, HK A-Train, SSJ) dealt an overall of 10066 damage (2v2)
It's only a rough 300-400 damage increase, which is arguably too little for how much more effort you have to put into your inputs (timing the taunt is a real bitch), but hell, with enough practise I don't imagine it will be too difficult to pull off.

It's worth noting that this will also work after any launcher Big Band has (sMK, cHP, sHP, sHK) however, like I said earlier, ONLY in the corner; The taunt will simply take too long to complete in the mid-screen and leave your opponent too far away by the time you've finished for the MK A-Train to reach.

I know we've talked about c.HP -> e-brake confirms before, and I said something like they were unreliable because they were pretty minus on block. I mean sure that's pretty true, but the second hit of c.MP is a pretty long mid-range poke that you can autopilot to c.HP (you can even delay it a bit), and then you can do L brass if blocked or e-brake if it hit. As long as you weren't at max range when you hit with the 2nd hit of c.MP you can usually get a jab in. Tough link, though!

EDIT: Actually I lied, you can get a full combo from the very tippy-tip of c.MP, you just need to delay the e-brake. Here is a proof of concept, 6.5k without bar:

Last edited:
is that char specific?
Yeah very much so. Pretty much only works on the characters you would expect, and Parasoul. It's hard on eliza

wait. i have an idea lol

edit: yeah it works HAHAHA
I think I'm done for a bit

I'mma steal it. been working on stupid junk with Beo so much that I have left Band out to rust. again.

Alright guys, since you figured out the e.break after throw combos, I want to finally bring up something that may be unintended in the beta.

Remember that change that took 3 frames off of his HK and MK A-train? Well that also took 3 frames off of his E-Brake off of HK and MK A-train. This makes him 3 frames more positive when cancelling off of anything with HK or MK E-brake. This allows quite a bit, it makes Cr.FP confirms much easier, it gives him different combo options off of his throw, as shown in the video above I can do J.MK after a throw which I couldn't do before because I was only +15, allows those neat corner E-brake loops to be possible on heavies except on BB himself, along with everything else that 3 frames less recovery on an E-brake will give.

This being said, his punch brass knuckle E-Brakes are 3 frames slower than his HK E-brakes, I still use HP E-Brake sometimes after a throw sometimes in beta for a frame perfect J.MK overhead after throw, but having two different recovery times on E-brake feels very strange.

edit: I know I can optimize the pw part to use less undizzy, was just too lazy
edit 2 : this is not universal ; ; I'm trying it on filia hurtbox and she almost always ends up behind you, even when walking/backdashing into the corner as BB. Most likely still possible, just much much harder
edit 3: does not work ever on filia or squigly, VERY difficult on parasoul. Works on everyone else

Last edited:
soooo um, I haven't tested this on other reversals, but max distance s.lpx2 beats out wake up updo.

I dont know what characters this is applicable against. But i was playing against @Chairman Mao today and he hit me with something awesome that ive never seen:

I was comboing him and not watching my undizzy/nit keeping track of ips as per usual like 4 resets into his health bar or something... Anyways i sparked the infinity breaker and mao infinity broke my combo... But the interesting thing was that he comboed off the infinity breaker by alphacountering nto big bands beat extend assist and converting from there.

It was super fucking cool. And the first time ive seen it. It could have very good ramifications against accidental infinites if you have BE assist or even fiber assist..

So yeahm this is the tricks thread and this is a cool trick.

Reactions: Apex and CaioLugon
I think I found a burst bait, works in both the corner and midscreen. Sorry if this has been posted somewhere already.

(combo stuff) s.mk j.lp j.lk j.mp -> (opponent still slightly in the air) c.lk c.mk s.hp -> back jump j.lp/j.lk/j.mp (can depend on character/setup)

For Cerebella/Parasoul/Eliza, you replace the j.mk with a j.mp. It doesn't work at all on BB and Double.

IT'S UNIVERSAL! Hooray! Timing can pretty tight on light characters, though.

I don't pretend to understand all of the wizardry behind the hitbox positions and interactions, but I think it depends on the other character not restanding before the c.lk, putting them juuuuuuust a little bit higher in the air after the s.hp than usual.

Following it up is a little tricky. H take the A train definitely works on everyone, (and it's pretty easy) but I also found found that Superjumping/dash->jumping back in with j.lk -> [full BnB] seemed to work on some characters. I haven't really tested it thoroughly though, and the timing was pretty tight. Either way, it fits perfectly into the compendium BnBs, which is super convenient!

Edit: Wow. I went and did a bit more testing, and it looks like c.lk c.mk s.hp to burst bait setup works whenever your opponent is just barely off the ground. For example, beat extend -> burst bait works, and I bet there are other things that will too.

Edit 2: It also works after the otg from j.hk! (Or any otg when BB is next to his opponent. Air throw to burst bait!)

Edit 3: Great news! The whole thing is universal if you use j.mp instead of j.lk. Edited above to match.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpeanuts
c.LP c.LK is a nice fast OTG restand for going str8 into a mixup
s.mk kara under MP/HP extend in the corner on incoming for crossups - just do non kara LP extend for non crossup
s.mk kara emergency brake is great movement tool as it can move you out of the awkward fullscreen range where you cant do much footsie wise, where hp brass/ hk giant step is easily reactable
-and i dont even play beta - beta a-train e-brake looks ridiculously fast and useful. use it!
i do this thing with s.mk where i delay grab or do s.mk again to stuff their techs which you can easily combo off with j.lk etc into cymbals

Alright guys, since you figured out the e.break after throw combos, I want to finally bring up something that may be unintended in the beta.
I mean I know you posted that in January but that is HELLA COOOOOOOL.

I uh, don't actually know how practical this thing is given there's a sweet spot where you can't armor through the burst. But hey this is thing.

Reactions: Dr. Zeus
Do you think it's possible and/or practical to time an e-brake so that you still have armor to block the burst, but you can do a full combo punish/reset/mixup thing after it?

Eh, never mind. Went into training and tested it, and I don't think it really leads to anything useful. M A-train finishes before their animation does if they try and burst right away, and if they don't burst you're still in a really favorable position.

Last edited:
ehhhhhhhhhhhhh... sure? i guess. but remember the burst hit the armor meaning the opponent can air block incoming attacks and tech a grab. but with a proper assist you can mix or cross up the opponent that could lead to a full combo.

I can only get this to work against big band, but if you do something like cr.lk, cr.mk, st.hp xx H Brass - the H brass will actually hit big band as a meaty cross-up when he recovers from the st.hp in the air. It's risky, but could lead into big damage by cancelling into SSJ

I can only get this to work against big band, but if you do something like cr.lk, cr.mk, st.hp xx H Brass - the H brass will actually hit big band as a meaty cross-up when he recovers from the st.hp in the air. It's risky, but could lead into big damage by cancelling into SSJ

edit - actually, it's sorta weird. If the opponent is holding back to block normally, they get hit with crossup. If they hold forward to block the cross-up, the move whiffs entirely? It looks like the opponent can make it whiff and beat it if they actually do something, but if they just do nothing or block normally they will get hit. Strange, probably not worth doing because of the risk, but hey at least it is possible

edit - actually, it's sorta weird. If the opponent is holding back to block normally, they get hit with crossup. If they hold forward to block the cross-up, the move whiffs entirely? It looks like the opponent can make it whiff and beat it if they actually do something, but if they just do nothing or block normally they will get hit. Strange, probably not worth doing because of the risk, but hey at least it is possible
It has to do with preblock frames in the air that make it so they never actually have to block, it just whiffs. Someone detailed this exact situation on the forums somewhere, but I forget where.

Reactions: dMags
*opponent is in the corner, NOT grounded and you still have OTG (so like, after beat extend or s.HK e-brake)*

c.LK/LP > c.MK > s.HK > delay!!! > L rush punch > OTG c.MK (you can use c.LK > c.MK if you set it up)(this will trigger IPS and the burst will whiff)

Delaying the rush punch after s.HK pushes you away from the corner enough that you'll be at the perfect range for c.MK to hit but their burst won't. I haven't tested it on everyone but it seems to work on a good chunk of the cast (it works on everybody).

These are fairly straight forward resets IMO but I'm too lazy to look if they were posted in the thread already and also I think they're pretty good because the character died? idk

Reactions: gllt and mcpeanuts
That's pretty good since you can change the timing of when they need to reversal by pressing j.HP earlier or later. Although they could still reversal if they're mashing it out... I don't suppose there's a way to get a burst bait out of that? I feel like you might be able to fast fall then jump back j.LK to burst bait, but I don't know if it would actually work.

That's pretty good since you can change the timing of when they need to reversal by pressing j.HP earlier or later. Although they could still reversal if they're mashing it out... I don't suppose there's a way to get a burst bait out of that? I feel like you might be able to fast fall then jump back j.LK to burst bait, but I don't know if it would actually work.
I was playing Wingzero yesterday and the cymbals were getting counterhits on reversal Gregor.

so I noticed the focus of the thread seems to be burst baits and not resets I also didn't feel like reading the whole thread.

SO here's a lame reset no one but me will use.

Launch jLP jLK jMK dash 2LK or Throw or jMK and that's it I dunno if other people use it already or not I don't even play big band.

It seems to work on (it didn't work on squigly so I'm assuming no lights) parasoul weight and higher but I don't feel like testing every character. You can also do this from existing combos like the otgless one where you do jMP jMK restand and it is universal in the corner but I figured that was obvious. That's it I guess, find me resets please I'm not one for combos.

Reactions: gllt and Flotilla
Warped uses that reset a lot. It's pretty good since they recover in the air and you're hella plus. Any reset like that is gonna be difficult to reversal out of.

All the resets I use are in the compendium if you're looking for more resets.

Reactions: gllt and WarpedEcho
so I noticed the focus of the thread seems to be burst baits and not resets I also didn't feel like reading the whole thread.

SO here's a lame reset no one but me will use.

Launch jLP jLK jMK dash 2LK or Throw or jMK and that's it I dunno if other people use it already or not I don't even play big band.

It seems to work on (it didn't work on squigly so I'm assuming no lights) parasoul weight and higher but I don't feel like testing every character. You can also do this from existing combos like the otgless one where you do jMP jMK restand and it is universal in the corner but I figured that was obvious. That's it I guess, find me resets please I'm not one for combos.

I've been doing it without the j.lp before the j.lk and it's worked on lights that way, I'll try doing the j.lp first on heavier characters, while it has worked for me without it it also is not quite as plus since they land earlier (than a light would, not earlier than you)

One of my favourite resets with BB is otg cr.lk, st.mk(1) j.lk(full) airthrow. And then mix that up with delayed j.mk when they start teching the airthrow, this will counter hit their throw startup frames. You can also land into low/throw/ high or delay a cymbal crash high in the air, which will hit people that are mashing throw tech since they will tech as they touch the ground. One of my favourite reset points cause of all the options.