• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Big Band Tech Thread: Small/Big Tips & Strategy YOU Notice?

on block, lp/lk xx lk A-train will grab them, but cr.mp xx lk A-train will cause A-train to whiff, unless you really delay it. So I guess that's what I should have said, you need to really delay lk A-train if you're doing it off anything stronger than a light on block.

on block, lp/lk xx lk A-train will grab them, but cr.mp xx lk A-train will cause A-train to whiff, unless you really delay it. So I guess that's what I should have said, you need to really delay lk A-train if you're doing it off anything stronger than a light on block.
I could make a video proving you wrong
But instead i'll just note that lk a-train has 23 frames of startup and BB doesn't have a single normal that has more than 23 frames of blockstun

maybe the case I'm thinking of was because the opponent got pushed too far back then

I found a cool burst bait that utilisies extra hits on s.MP. I'm not sure about midscreen/corner/character specifics as of now (i got this to work on parasoul and painwheel, will try others)
stuff into s.HP jump j.LP j.LK j.MP land s.LP s.MPx6 (depending on how much meter you have)
This is quite tricky to get right, and doing the j.LK late seems to help.

edit: derpy dingus, you can just do s.MP instead of s.lp and it will hit

Last edited:
maybe the case I'm thinking of was because the opponent got pushed too far back then

okay yea, I have no idea where I got this from, my brain isn't working and everything I said is a lie

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I found a cool burst bait that utilisies extra hits on s.MP. I'm not sure about midscreen/corner/character specifics as of now (i got this to work on parasoul and painwheel, will try others)
stuff into s.HP jump j.LP j.LK j.MP land s.LP s.MPx6 (depending on how much meter you have)
This is quite tricky to get right, and doing the j.LK late seems to help.

the extra presses of s.MP will set off IPS? that is pretty interesting actually. i never ever use the move myself. maybe i might start to try now.

Reactions: bigbandpro69
the extra presses of s.MP will set off IPS? that is pretty interesting actually. i never ever use the move myself. maybe i might start to try now.
Yes, and I'm also not sure why I didn't notice earlier, but this also works with the burst baits i listed a bit earlier in the thread. (although perhaps not with characters with wide bursts, as s.MP puts your hurtbox a bit closer)

Last edited:
Found a Burst Bait for BB:cr.LK->cr.MK xx Giant Step(L), cr.LP->cr.MP xx Giant Step(L) xx SSJ
(Giant Step(H)Burst Bait),Giant Step(H) xx Brass Knuckles(H) xx SSJ

Its relativity simple,maybe even impractical.Their is some timing on the Burst Bait Giant Step(H),if you mistime it they can just ground tech,jump or super after it.

If this has already been known then ignore this post,if not can someone make a video of it and other applications to the Burst Bait and tag me in there post of the video....thanks in advance.

Found a Burst Bait for BB:cr.LK->cr.MK xx Giant Step(L), cr.LP->cr.MP xx Giant Step(L) xx SSJ
(Giant Step(H)Burst Bait),Giant Step(H) xx Brass Knuckles(H) xx SSJ

Its relativity simple,maybe even impractical.Their is some timing on the Burst Bait Giant Step(H),if you mistime it they can just ground tech,jump or super after it.

If this has already been known then ignore this post,if not can someone make a video of it and other applications to the Burst Bait and tag me in there post of the video....thanks in advance.
I don't think this is real burst bait, unfortunately. H Giant Step is a projectile, so they can block immediately after bursting.

I don't understand? Giant Step H is an unblockable move at full screen,so how can they block a unblockable move once they burst.To avoid Giant Step H they will need to either jump,tech or do a invincible move(I think lol)

I don't understand? Giant Step H is an unblockable move at full screen,so how can they block a unblockable move once they burst.To avoid Giant Step H they will need to either jump,tech or do a invincible move(I think lol)
Oh yeah duh lol. But I mean Giant Step can't hit you in prejump so it seems like they can just hold up. idk I can try it but this doesn't seem like something that would work.

Oh yeah duh lol. But I mean Giant Step can't hit you in prejump so it seems like they can just hold up. idk I can try it but this doesn't seem like something that would work.

I was waiting for your response the other day and decided to go in and check things out and you're right they can just jump up and it won't hit them so its useless :/

BB j.lk is a better air to air than even parasoul j.lp

Abuse it for rushdown. I think a lot/most characters dont have an answer for it in an air to air normal fashion.

It is 7 frame startup as compared to parasoul j.lp 8 frame startup. Parasoul j.lp has 12 active frames, BB j.lk has 15 active frames. BB can double jump after wiffing j.lk, parasoul cant double jump after wiffing j.lp

When you combine this with beat extend and ssj and pbgc extend/ssj bigbands defense is monstrous. And since j.lk can be used offensively, it is an extremely good rushdown move.

How the fuuuuck do you deal with Fukua. I fucking HATE going up against Fukua she's so fucking easy because all you do is projectile and j.HK. Yes I'm salty. Fuck Fukua. Just fuck her.
I'm totally stand with you. Fuck fukua!

So something worth noting for the Fukua matchup. Sweeps can break the armor on Inevitable Snuggle (her 40 hits of armor command grab). Most people know that. Snapbacks also break armor. Not as many people know that. I was testing doing resets against Fukua and reacting to the command grab, and I found that if you see the command grab and react to it with sweep or snapback, the grab still hits you in the startup frames of those moves. They aren't fast enough unless you do them preemptively. What DOES work is reacting with H Beat Extend (it HAS to be the H version, as the others are ONLY strike invincible). I think that's worth keeping in mind when resetting Fukua on the ground.

Could you also cancel into lk a train? Or is the startup on it too slow?

I didn't think to try that. But I don't think it's significantly faster than his sweep or his snapback, so I don't think it would work.

can you do a normal throw on reaction?

Then you might as well jump and get a heavy counterhit and win

can you do a normal throw on reaction?
Well I was talking in the context of doing a c.LK reset or something. Obviously if you predict the Inevitable Snuggle you can do all sorts of things. It's when you don't predict it and try to react to it that it's trickier.

It's when you don't predict it and try to react to it that it's trickier.

this is what I meant, not just going for a throw reset, but reacting with a throw. Like Zeknife just said though, if you're gunna react with a throw you might as well react by neutral jumping instead since it's better

this is what I meant, not just going for a throw reset, but reacting with a throw. Like Zeknife just said though, if you're gunna react with a throw you might as well react by neutral jumping instead since it's better
Well you can't cancel normals into throws, so no, it's not possible to react with a throw.

whoops my bad, I was reading this wrong, didn't realize you meant after you've started hitting them...I'll show myself out.......but srsly secret tech learn to cancel normals into throws its e-z

4f slower than cHK, almost twice as long as H-BeatExtend

Okie dokie that solves that mystery I'll show myself out.

whoops my bad, I was reading this wrong, didn't realize you meant after you've started hitting them...I'll show myself out.......but srsly secret tech learn to cancel normals into throws its e-z
You actually can cancel Big Bands jab into throw if you plink lk~lp (as is the case with every character that can chain lp into lk)

Reactions: dMags
Since none of the burst baits I know work on Cerebella, I was trying to come up with something that does, and I came up with this:

H Beat Extend (shake),
j.LK j.MK,
jump back j.LK

This works on everyone except for Fortune and Valentine. Against heavy and medium weight characters you can also do the following:

point blank s.MK,
j.LK j.MK,
jump back j.LK

In both cases the j.LK j.MK needs to restand the opponent. Midscreen it doesn't seem like you can get very good conversions off it, just Brass or c.HP xx Brass or something. (Maybe c.HP xx Emergency Brake then link s.LP, I didn't try that as I only just remembered you can do that). In the corner you can do M Brass then OTG with something then go nuts.

Reactions: zeknife
That gave me an idea
Oh wow lol I was actually thinking of using Tympani Drive to convert but I was like "well if they don't burst it's a waste of meter and I'll get punished". I guess neither of those things are true. Outstanding

What do you people think of autocorrected SSJ crossups? To the uninformed, you can do stuff like s.hp xx hp brass xx Super Sonic Jazz and with the right timing the super will cross them up with no blocking post flash. I think doing this makes e-brake crossunders a better mixup as doing e-brake every time gets beat by air normals, but doing an autocorrected SSJ crossup will beat air normals w/ counterhit and really dissuade the opponent from doing it again, or at least make them guess. There are other ways to do these, for example in zeknife's assist crossup video:

You would simply super after brass with the right timing.

I decided to make a video with all the mixups I currently know with what you can do off them:

extra tech:
s.mk jump delay j.mk will crossover. You can also do regular j.mk overhead by doing it earlier. I think, if you do the crossup enough to your opponent, it could become a legitimate 50/50 if your timing is on point. Note this doesn't work on big band himself and maybe double ( i haven't hit it on her yet)

Finally how do you people feel about obtuse anti airs such as s.mk and s.mp? I recently realised that s.mk has disjointed, fairly anti-air hitboxes. What's better is you could possibly go right into combo after hitting with it. I feel that s.mp might be good as an anti air also, as you get extra hits for every extra level of meter you have; most big band players have him 2nd or 3rd so he comes in with the meter. Perhaps this is a tool we should be using?
l6mQS7Z.png
FK8JaZY.png

VIGLYSF.png

4uXJBdX.png
Thanks @Stuff for the hitboxes!

SSJ crossups I think are kind of bad. The risk is high, reward is low, and you have to spend a meter to do it. If you have a DHC behind SSJ to make it safe on block and let you combo if it hits, it might be worth it, but even though I can do that with Peacock I think I'd still be hesitant to spend all that bar. However this video did teach me that you can do c.MK xx Emergency Brake crossunders after the Icky reset (discovered by Icky) which is really good, I'll have to give that a try.

As far as these anti air normals, they're pretty interesting. I didn't realize s.MK was that disjointed. I want to try messing around with that too.

You can also jump up air grab after s.mk instead of crossing under.

SSJ crossunders are the real deal for when you want to be a jerk with solo big band
It's the only reset you need, and it works if you get a happy birthday

sorry alex

Does that cross-up scenario only work on a character like Squigly or can this be applied to the rest of the cast (Besides bulky characters like Big Band and Double I assume)?
If so, I am totally using this corner set-up against my friends.

I'm pretty sure that works against everyone. Maybe that's just a version that works on squigs. you can always do beat extend > c.mk > delay beat extend on every char, but he has better/safer mixups.

I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever seen a Big Band e-brake cancel a successful throw.
Done early enough it's +13, allows the usual midscreen bnb to be used (6.5~ k) and opens up dumb mixups like throw, e-brake, throw.

Reactions: mcpeanuts