• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Blazblue

Ok there that's a pretty good comparison, I can understand that.
The whole reason every single character is so different and you can't play two the same is actually a very legitimate strike against BB I can understand. But that's one reason I like it.
TVTropes compared it a few years ago to each character playing like a completely different game, which is pretty accurate.

No that doesn't really make sense to me either.
That's kind of one of the things that sorta fell into "What the fuck is happening" I was talking about.
BUT HEY WOW THIS IS SPIRALING OUT OF CONTROL PRETTY QUICKLY HUH
How does that not make sense?

Chipp was a drug dealer getting high on his own supply when he lucked up and was given a hand by a generous man who happened to be a goddamn ninja master. His ninja master died and he swore to clean up the country that burned him and gotten his master killed.

How do you do that, by becoming THE authority figure.

And yeah, committing a gimmick to a button was kind of weird.

Every character in gg is unique but there's no "do shit" button.

It's like how Parasoul has her tear and explosion mechanic and BB has his sound based hitsun mechanic, but you don't have to press a special button, they're just there.

Then, there's May, the orphan pirate loli who crushes on older men (particularly her captain Johnny, the GG lolicon equivalent of Zorro), hates bald people badly enough that she can tell when people are bald through paper bags, has the strength to lift an anchor as big as she is like it's nothing, summons sea life and circus equipment out of nowhere, and happens to be one of the few surviving Japanese after the entire country got nuked to pieces by Justice after they unlocked the power of Ki, the least understood and presumably most powerful of the five elements of magic (Chipp's the only living non-Japanese user of it, but Kliff also knew how to use it before he died).

I.
I have no words to respond to that.
That sounds so weird out of context.
Sounds pretty radical though
I gave you literally all the context there is.

Out of context would be something like "Chipp is a reformed drug addict turned ninja who wants to become president of future America."

Or something like "Venom is a gay assassin who uses pool cues and fights an everlasting vampire too strong for the concept of our world to observe over a centuries old organization that his would-be maybe boyfriend used to hold power in".

Now in context.

Venom is a orphan who was picked up by Eddie, the leader of the Killer's Guild. As gratitude to giving him a second chance at life, Venom dedicated every second of his new existence to being a use to Eddie. That eventually turned to love.Eddie went trough some shit and died. Venom starts to run the guild in honor of Eddie, that is until the old ruler and original creator of the guild comes back popping shit. Claiming that the guild is a shell of it's former self, he wishes to destroy the guild. Venom challenges the man who happens to be the baddest motherfucker that has ever fucking been, with the purest of love for his deceased master. The old master seeing that, allows Venom to keep running the guild.

Look at all that context.

You mean Zato. Eddie was what was inhabiting his corpse after Zato died horribly in X at Millia's hands.

Also, I think we should take this "Teach Jutsei-Kouhai" class to the actual GG thread.

That's a lot of context.

Also, my head's still spinning from how they just nonchalantly brought Zato-1 back.
But wow this is kinda devolving into Guilty Gear talk and we got a thread for that.

But fine, everyone's got fair points, I still prefer Blazblue and this whole thing kinda started from a silly thing requesting me to change the title of this thread.
So basically par for the course

and then Zato came back because of buttfuckery (and Bedman, I think? What the fuck even happened with Zato)

Reactions: Jutsei
You mean Zato. Eddie was what was inhabiting his corpse after Zato died horribly in X at Millia's hands.
God yes I mean Zato-1, I didn't think I'd need to clear that up but fair enough.

Also I don't think the decision to bring back Zato was light.

Not saying this is an award deserving novella, but whatever reason Zato was revived, it probably took Daisuke some thought.

He could have just used another host for Eddie, or let Eddie become free like in one of those endings, but he decided to use his dead friend's name again.

Blazblue is guilty gear for younger or more Otaku-like audiences.

I played Guilty Gear X2 when I was 16, I got Calamity Trigger and enjoyed that far more. There's not much else to say, I like Guilty Gear, but I like Blazblue so much more.

Now can we end this debate and, I dunno, talk about how weird it is they added a Beach scenario for the PS Vita?

I don't like debates, they make me a sad panda.

let's talk about drills and how sad I am that they didn't translate Amane's attacks

they could have made his drills from the ground super "Worldwide Drilling Festival" but no they had to leave it untranslated I hate everything

Reactions: Ktulu
Blazblue is guilty gear for younger or more Otaku-like audiences.
I can't tell if this is a troll or not but we can't have that.

There are design decisions in both games that cater to different audiences based not on age, or even anime likeness, but mechanical differences.

Remember that GG came out in the 90's, and all the shit that's popular now in BB was popular then in GG.(Chinese girls with short skirts, gundams, extremely strong little girls, Chipp himself is an outright Otaku, etc. etc.)

Reactions: Vladislav_Paizis
let's talk about drills and how sad I am that they didn't translate Amane's attacks

they could have made his drills from the ground super "Worldwide Drilling Festival" but no they had to leave it untranslated I hate everything
To be fair Azarel has a Kamina pallete.

why would I be mad at Tomokazu Sugita for not translating attacks
that's not his job at all
I'm mad the localizers

But I like Amane's fighting style, I was watching a really smart amane at Ceo just kind of dance around everyone.

Then he got Dawn Hikari'ed.

I respect pops for keeping the plat. struggle alive.

I'm not about dat "do a stupid hard combo that uses a burst gauge and half your meter and get 4.5k" life anymore.

I've gone to Terumi, niggas trying to do 4k every serious combo.

AND his 6b is plus on block now? gawdlike

Hey @Mike_Z , serious question. In your opinion, what did Blazblue get wrong that Guilty Gear got right? What do you think kept Blazblue from being the successor that many people expected? I've always wanted to hear your reasoning.
iLoli got some, but in short:
- Guard bar: GG's guard bar is the best-designed guard bar in any game PERIOD, because it doesn't force you to stop blocking when it reaches max yet still punishes you hard when you get hit. That bold bit is the stupid part, you defend properly and get penalized. BB's seesaw guardbar was okay except for the guardbreak part, but it needed to go down from my side when I hit you, which didn't happen. Then they went to even more arbitrary guard primers, and kept the guard break. As well, barrier being a separate resource from anything else means you basically never run out of it. Keeping to the "in short" thing, moving on...
- Area-specific invincibility: In GG, if a move is above-the-knees invincible it's because it doesn't have vulnerable boxes up there. In BB, it's because the frame is marked "invincible to air attacks". What this means in practice is that in GG you can still beat antiairs with a deeeeep jumpin, but in BB your attack will completely go through them and you'll land. YOU CANNOT STUFF ANTIAIRS or any other type of partial invincibility (low- or mid-hit), you can only whiff through them and block, which is absolutely stupid to me.
- Arbitrary combo structure per character: GG has some of this (Slash to 6P, what you can chain from 2S) but not as much as BB does. In BB it's completely arbitrary per character and ugh.
- Speed: BB is slow, GG is not. Even sped-up BB is slow.
- Bursts: They finally stole GG's burst in BBCP but then they made offensive bursts Overdrive which locks out their burst and is therefore hella stupid. I liked CT's bursts because they put you in Danger, but I disliked them because you got a new one each round. Plus you could hit bursts in CT and cancel into other things since bursts had autoguard, then they removed this and sped them up so they're incredibly difficult to bait at this point.
- Too many directional overloads on each button - 5C, 3C, 2C, 6C, and in some cases 4C (where C is a generic button) are all available options sometimes, some of which you can chain into or out of with other buttons and some of which you can't.
- Allowing throws to 'combo' in hitstun or blockstun and thus be teched; ruins counterhit tick-throw setups because they become easily-teched purple throws, and allows you to end any combo in a neutral situation simply by going for a combo into a throw (if not teched, do it again, if teched, neutral).
- Character changes: Tager only needed 3 things since CT, and he never got any of them. (A doublejump, projectile invincibility on Spark Bolt startup, and Sledge Break.) Instead he got a great many other mostly-useless changes. Other characters also follow this pattern often. Contrasting that with GG, which I use as an example of how to look at what players are really doing with a character and improve that playstyle.
- Balance: GGAC is amazingly well balanced, though admittedly it took a long time to get to that. BB has had bad balance since the beginning, has tried to fix it using improper tools, and even in the fifth(?) game now is incredibly poorly balanced.
- Combo length: BB has tried to limit this in ALL the wrong ways, and fails. GG tries to limit it in some odd ways too but mostly succeeds. (Time-based combos, for cryin' out loud!)
- Other designer-arbitary junk like Fatal Counters only being assigned on moves the game designers decided should have them.

[edit] Oh yeah and super-flash buffering. I have no idea why anyone thought that was a good idea.

There's more but those are the main ones.

Last edited:
Well...so much for that short-lived thread title lol.

After playing the Vita story, BB should have a volleyball mini-game and if you pick Noel you auto lose.

I thought the thread title was ironic.

Someone really though BB was mike's favourite game?

I thought the thread title was ironic.

Someone really though BB was mike's favourite game?

I suggested it because I knew he didn't care for it that much. It was a joke.

And thank you to MikeZ for the response.

I wasn't aware the Beach Scenario had choices.
Good to know Noel is shit tier at Volley Ball though lol
Basically, she is bad at everything that doesn't need weapons.
5No6wMY.jpg[

Reactions: Jutsei
And she's even bad at stuff that NEEDS weapons without either Bolverk or being Mu.

Which is worse: Noel cooking or Celica sense of direction. I'm leaning toward Celica because at least there are some rare individuals that can tolerate or even enjoy Noel "food".

Celica will just pull a Zoro and be so bad at finding her way that space and time will bend to get her right where she needed to be

Out of those few who can deal with Noel's cooking, Hazama feeds on negative emotions, and her food is practically edible despair. Of course he'd like edible despair. I doubt genderbender even tastes her cooking due to the whole "sense the emotions of the food and its chef through eating" thing.

My friends organised an EVO Party and we watched the Top 8 for BBCP. I don't mind trying out Kokonoe, but I'm glad Grand Finals weren't a Kokonoe mirror match.

Azrael, Litchi and the Bang players in Top 3 were very hype. We were all rooting for the Litchi player.

I'm so happy a Tager player was able to make it to top 8. He knocked out two Kokonoe players to make it, too.

I'm so happy a Tager player was able to make it to top 8. He knocked out two Kokonoe players to make it, too.

Tiku was amazing, his games yesterday were excellent to see. For the first time Tager really felt like Potemkin's spiritual successor.

Lack of Bullet made me sad though :<

When Tiku baited Kokonoe's 6A by jumping forward > Overdrive > land 360 I came so hard. THEN THE MOTHERFUCKER DID IT AGAIN AND IT WAS AWESOME.

Reactions: Hemijack
Celica now being a playable character is the best thing ever for me, instant main along side the other characters I use though it makes me think, are we going to have Blazblue chronophantasma 2 or they gonna be more dlc or patched in, hopefully the latter two options as opposed to the first.

Reactions: Chaos Master42