• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Freedom Planet: 2D Sonic-Inspired Indie Platformer

omigod its sooo gooooood

starwut5.png

Reactions: Redblaze27
I never thought to poke around Strife's blog before. Pretty cool that he posted one of his old MIDIs on there. I actually wouldn't mind seeing more of his rough stuff.

Picked this up on the new sale.

Only put some time into classic mode, but so far very much enjoying this. Feels slightly more precise then Sonic, and the expanded moveset both gives you more options for progressing through stages as well as more leniency in recovering from occasional momentum breaking mistakes. Controls still feel a bit ill suited to actual dodging during boss fights, as in Sonic, but going on the offense with the games unique attack options is extremely entertaining and easily justifies the boss fights.

Also especially love how radically different the characters play from each other. This one's definitely a keeper. Looking forward to mastering both characters and laying waste to stages and bosses.

Picked this up on the new sale.

Only put some time into classic mode, but so far very much enjoying this. Feels slightly more precise then Sonic, and the expanded moveset both gives you more options for progressing through stages as well as more leniency in recovering from occasional momentum breaking mistakes. Controls still feel a bit ill suited to actual dodging during boss fights, as in Sonic, but going on the offense with the games unique attack options is extremely entertaining and easily justifies the boss fights.

Also especially love how radically different the characters play from each other. This one's definitely a keeper. Looking forward to mastering both characters and laying waste to stages and bosses.
Hopefully you see how some people calling it a sonic clone is dishonest and misleading. They are two different beasts.

Hopefully you see how some people calling it a sonic clone is dishonest and misleading. They are two different beasts.

It's not a Sonic clone entirely but it shares a lot with Sonic in terms of a lot of gimmicks and design choices in the stages. I'd say Sonic-Inspired at best since you can totally see similarities but it tries to live beyond it with it's own style.

It's not a Sonic clone entirely but it shares a lot with Sonic in terms of a lot of gimmicks and design choices in the stages. I'd say Sonic-Inspired at best since you can totally see similarities but it tries to live beyond it with it's own style.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "clone". The basic movement controls and level design style (big huge stages with loop-de-loop and momentum building runs) are more or less lifted straight from Sonic, though they're all heavily tweaked (for the better, IMO). The new moves and mechanics though are pretty original, and do a good job of improving the Sonic formula, and making the game stand on its own merits with a unique flavor from Sonic.

I think a good comparison would be (classic) Castlevania vs Ninja Gaiden. NJ basically took CV's play style and mechanics (sub weapons, commitment to jumping and attacking, freaking HUD completely ripped off, enemies that knock you back into pits etc.) and put its own spin and refinements on them.

Castlevania is made unique by its need to commit to attacks and jumps (both of which lock you in one place/direction and can easily be punished by enemies if you misread the situation). Ninja Gaiden gives you the ability to alter jump trajectory with the caveat that you can't change jump direction but can only change momentum a bit to slightly alter where you'll land. This means that jumps are still a heavy, heavy commitment (as in CV) and won't let you get off scott free if you completely misread the situation, but you have greater leniency now to make the game less punishing. For attacking, Ninja Gaiden made player slashes near instantaneous (as opposed to CV's deliberate and punishable start up and recovery time on whips), but also made the sword in NJ much closer range, forcing you to get closer and be more aggressive with enemies which is just as dangerous a commitment (also forces you to move around more). Lastly they made the basic move speed a lot faster. The end result of all these tweaks is that NJ has a similar focus on commitment that CV does but is also a more movement focused and aggressive game with greater leniency.

Ninja Gaiden is arguably a "clone" of CV on a really basic, mechanical level (and dat hud!!!), but fine tuning and tweaking make it its own unique experience that's equally valuable. Similarly Freedom Planet is a unique spin on an older concept that puts its own spinball on things and easily stands apart from its inspiration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midiman
So hey, I bought this game almost a week ago. I saw Somecallmejohnny's review of it, decided to try out the demo, and liked it enough that I got the full game. If I had waited just a little longer for the Holiday sale I wouldn't have had to pay full price for it, but that's OK because I totally love this game. I also got it for two of my friends, and I plan on getting it for my brother later. Plus I bought the soundtrack.

I'm ashamed to say that I initially didn't care about the game until recently because I was one of those people who saw it as a Sonic clone at face value, and was turned off by it. But the people who dismiss because of that, and because they think the characters look like "deviantart OCs made by a 13-year-old" are missing out. Freedom Planet is fun as hell.

I finished playing through adventure mode with Lilac, and am now working my way through it again with Carol.

Carol is amazing fun, love the wall jumping and i-frames. Only complaint I have is the game is a tad long for the 1 life clear achievement, would have made more sense if classic mode maybe used branching stages (ie maybe choose between going to trap hideout or lagoon instead of both) to make it more doable and better paced for a one sitting playthrough. Also hard mode bosses are ridiculously memorization focused late game. But other than that still love the hell out of this game.

That game really is fun! It reminds me alot of the Treasure games of the genesis era, which is not a small feat!

Does someone know if there have been talks of eventually doing a console version of this? I know that WiiU have been mentionned as a vague possibility at the very beginning, but i haven't heard anything about it since.

Maybe if the game sells well enough it will happens. I know that the score have been great, but have the steam and/or the recent Gog version sold well?

I've actually been watching some videos where Torque and Spade are in the game using mods. The characters are incomplete here, but it's cool to see how far along they've been. The footage gives a surprisingly good glimpse at how they'll play.
I like seeing how these classic gameplay mechanics have been shuffled between the different characters. I especially like how Torque's different beams seem to follow unique arcs, so he's like a Blaster Master/Contra guy with MMX dashes. The boss fights with these two will be very interesting!

However, some people are forgetting that the finished updates will also need to include new stages, bosses, and cutscenes, so that's partly why we're still left waiting. No need for them to rush, far as I see it.

(I still wish we were getting a playable Serpentine though.)

https://twitter.com/galaxytrail/status/547802409565564928
"If everything goes smooth, we'll be an LLC in February, which means we can start signing up for Sony and Nintendo development. Excite!"

Cool! Thanks alot for the news!

And yeah, those new characters seems cool also! I really liked the weapon select for Torque that seems to come straight from the game 'Alien soldier', it's quite fitting!

As for a playable Serpentine...i wouldn't be surprised to see that in the seque!

It is certainly great to see both of these characters in action as it seems that they will bring many new options to the table. I especially like Torque's Contra or even Gunstar Heroes esque weapon system, and Spade's directional air dashes will make platforming and combat interesting.

In terms of time frame, Galaxy Trail stated on their twitter that both Torque and Spade are fully finished in their gameplay and now they are moving onto stages as stated before. They did say that they need to figure out how they will approach their adventure modes, so they are aiming to finish up their classic modes by the end of summer. Might be a shame for those looking forward to their stories, but with how enjoyable I found Milla to be gameplay wise, I don't mind the wait.

The game just got announced for WiiU! Hopefully it will get more popular that way, even if only to be a thorn on sega side!

They said it will be soon, will that coincide with the DLC and both will popup almost at the same time? It would be great timing! Althought i don't know how hard it is to port something from multimedia fusion to console.

Welp, I'm totally getting it again when it comes out on Wii U. It's gonna be great playing it on a big TV.

Hell yeah.

Wish I could gift purchase over the Nintendo eShop too, though.

Put Lilac in Smash.

Just saw on twitter, the console version should appear at about the end of the year. And since they do it by converting the multimedia program into C++, it means that maybe other console release should happen too. At least, they are clearly hinting that way!

Just saw on twitter, the console version should appear at about the end of the year. And since they do it by converting the multimedia program into C++, it means that maybe other console release should happen too. At least, they are clearly hinting that way!
The guy who's porting the game actually has done plenty of Clickteam backports, mostly because he made his own runtime for Clickteam stuff, which is awesome.

This also hopefully means, like you already mentioned, cool ports to other consoles, and Mac/Linux ports as well!

Cool, thanks for the info, i didn't knew about that! That's some mighty credential then, let's hope for the best!

That's also interesting to know as i feared that multimedia fusion game were almost impossible to port outside of Windows. Good to see it's not so hopeless!

Wow. Well that means it's finally time for some real Noitu Love ports then, huh? Seriously, over the years there's just been a massive graveyard of unfinished MMF ports, and I remember once looking forward to a bunch of WiiWare stuff that never happened. At this point I'm PC only, but I'm glad Freedom Planet might actually break the trend and find its way to consoles.

I remember noitulove 2 as well, it's almost criminal that it failed at going on console at the end! Hopefully Konjak next game, The Iconoclasts, will find a way on console as well one day!

For those that don't know, here's the iconoclasts latest trailer, a high class metroidvania with a demo available :

And Noitulove 2, A very intense and outrageous action game in the same vein of the old Treasure games like qunstar heroes(low quality iage, it looks much better in-game)

That last one is available on steam and is really Worth it! It's prequel is freeware and also quite fun but less hectic and with NES-like graphic.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Bought it, played it.

I'm terrible at sonic games but i can attest this game is beautiful, fun and amazing

Hopefully Konjak next game, The Iconoclasts, will find a way on console as well one day!
If he's still developing Iconoclasts using Construct, then I think that means he might have at least a couple porting options. It'll be nice to see the game finished regardless. A couple of his blog posts make it look like he might be trying to revive Solar Plexus too, so I dunno which project is his priority right now. I'm definitely hype for whatever he releases next.

Speaking of other indie games still in development, I almost want to bet money on which game will get released first: Iconoclasts, Legend of Iya, or Owlboy. Freedom Planet 2 might actually come out before those!

Speaking of other indie games still in development, I almost want to bet money on which game will get released first: Iconoclasts, Legend of Iya, or Owlboy. Freedom Planet 2 might actually come out before those!

On that note, I hope Cuphead comes out soon and turns out well. It looks good from the scant information and footage we've seen so far, but there's shockingly little to go on.

I haven't caught up with Owlboy in so long. I hope it's going well!

Reactions: K.Radical
All those projects are quite promising! We almost needs a new thread for upcoming cool 2D game at this point! But before we get back on track, my bet goes that way :

Cuphead(i really hope it's as good as it sounds!) First
Owlboy
Iconoclast
Legend of Iya
Freedom planet 2 at the end.

And once all those games are done we'll get the Skullgirls full fledged sequel if the developpers haven't starved/gone insane at that point!

Last edited:
Not that I can link it ( I think Hitbox archives are down for the moment? ), but I'm practicing speedrunning Freedom Planet as my first real Speedrun project

Finding zips and attempting them is very fun and the tension of time attacks in general is super fun.

Try it yo.

EDIT: Hey cool I can bump with an actual link to a run, 76m w/ Carol wooho http://www.hitbox.tv/video/480981

With achievement for beating specific times in all stages, speedrun are pretty much encouraged!

my bet goes that way:
Cuphead(i really hope it's as good as it sounds!) First
Owlboy
Iconoclast
Legend of Iya
Freedom planet 2 at the end.
OHHHHHH! Looks like Iconoclasts is coming up from behind! This one might be a photo finish!

FP related, did anyone check out the race at SGDQ? They showed off some cool stuff with Lilac. In general, I love how these stages can feel so methodical to play at first, but once players take advantage of different routes and momentum tricks, everything becomes very fast and fluid. I'm looking forward to seeing how speedruns are with Spade and Torque.

Lol, i forgot about that race until now! It might be a photo finish indeed! Really liking what i saw from Iconoclast so far, it's greeat to see it finally close to the end!

Lilac is probably the funniest character to speedrun with with her 'sparkster charge'. Still, really curious to see how the upgrade will end ups, waiting for those new stages!

Reactions: KaboomKid
What new stages? For the DLC characters?

If i heard well, there would be new stage but not only for the DLC character but for the pre-existing character as well. In fact, they finished all the new characters a few month ago and have been working solely on the new stages since!

Fun Fact - Sean Chiplock, the guy that voices Spade, is also Rash's voice in KI. That's a good range! His credits for Spade go back to 2012, so he's actually been really busy since then, even working alongside some of the SG VAs on other projects. Never forget how small the world is, folks!

I'm still not really a Spade fan, but that certainly isn't Sean's fault. If the character was allowed to be more like he is in the blooper reel, I think that would have been a lot more fun. Still interested to see how he plays though.

Reactions: SpaceCadetKeon