• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Guilty Gear Thread

I've always assumed that the Japanese voices for games and anime are just as bad but people can't tell because they don't speak the language.

that's actually just about 100% true
the main difference is that sometimes characters are specifically written with a voice in mind (which can be good or bad), and japanese voice direction is a little more
funded than western
but there's frequently still problems with miscasting, pigeonholes, and all those other fun things

but i'm gonna be an asshole and guess that it's Michael McConnohie :V
If anyone gets a reprisal voice from GG2, it should be him.

As for Sol: Yeesh, I miss when Troy Baker wasn't so expensive.

I don't mind Sol too much honestly
he sounds a bit too gravelly at times, but that's what happens when you smoke bullets, sol
you get lung cancer
and die

Reactions: Kongk4
Yeah, some of the lines they say are...eeehhhhh. The acting is good, but some of the voices are pretty bad. Overall, it's decent IMO.

Yeah, some of the lines they say are...eeehhhhh. The acting is good, but some of the voices are pretty bad. Overall, it's decent IMO.
I think it's other way around. The actors are all people we know, but there's apparently a big lack in voice direction.

There are few lines were even Sol sounds spot on, but others that are really pretty off.

These are who I have identified so far.

Sol Badguy = Keith Silverstein
Ky Kiske = Sam Riegel
Millia Rage = Tara Platt
Zato-1/Eddie = Matthew Mercer
May = Eden Riegel
Potemkin = Kirk Thornton
Chipp Zanuff = No idea yet
Venom = No idea yet
Axl Low = Liam O' Brien
I-No = Tara Platt
Faust = Kaiji Tang
Slayer = J.B. Blanc
Sin Kiske = Lucien Dodge
Bedman = Yuri Lowenthal
Ramletherl Valentine = Erin Fitzgerald
Leo Whitefang = Michael McConnohie

Bedman is Yuri Lowenthal, I'm not sure who Venom is.

---

Anyway, I'll say here what I said on Dustloop. The dub's okay.

Axl, Bedman, and Zato are all pretty good. Sol, Sin, and Ramlethal are awful. Everyone else is somewhere in-between with most of them being just "meh."

Part of it's due to just poor translations, but I think it's mostly the result of bad directing.
If Yuri's playing Bedman, then who's playing Sin?
EDIT: Never mind.

Last edited:
Can anyone link me to any videos that have Chipp and Venom in them?
I wanna take a crack at identfying

Chipp
(not sure if timestamps work here)
EDIT: nope. oh well
Venom

here's what I've noticed:
when the voices are good, they're REALLY good. I like most everyone with the stand out being a surprisingly amazing Faust. The big misstep is pretty much Sol (which is unfortunate since he's he's the main character). Venom is kinda weird too but I need to hear him more just to make sure on that. Ramlethal is also confusing, but I thought she's supposed to be this odd combination of emotionless and vicious that's off putting in the Japanese as well.

Hopefully Sol sounds better in the primary story mode? I recall in Blazblue, the story mode dialogue tended to be better than the arcade mode cutscenes?

Also I hope Kaiji does a Faust play through like the SG VAs have been doing on his Voices of Gaming channel.

haha wow
I can't get a read on either of those
Chipp is rather good though. I liked his lines and he didn't really sound bad or anything.

Venom I'm a little iffy on. the voice sounded a bit younger than what I would expect, but I'll give them points for casting someone that sounded like they were actually black to me (granted, I could be wrong. really wrong. but hey gut feelings)

Super hyped for this, looks like it will deliver.

Anyway, for anyone with their pulse on the genre, does XRD have a prayer of being a main stage EVO event in coming years? Or is it likely to be relegated to a niche player base like P4, SG, and BB?

*crosses fingers unbelievably hard for A.B.A. as DLC*

*crosses fingers unbelievably hard for A.B.A. as DLC*
I hope for Dr. Paradigm, Dizzy and Justice.

Yay, free DLC. Did it with Adachi and Marie, doing it again.

Of course, the fact that they're DLC in the first place is still pretty scummy, but at least I get free stuff out of it.

DLC in fighting games is fine. Controversial, but under certain circumstances I'm sure many people would agree it's acceptable.

It's when your base game costs $60 and has $8 character DLC right out of the gate (even if it's free at first) that stuff gets messy. $15 game with $5 characters? That's alright. Full-price? Give me the full damn game when I buy it please.

she's on the fucking cover of the game what excuse do they have

English voices sound so wrong to me.

Chipp's actor sounded fine but where are his voice lines? He better still be speaking broken Japanese there somewhere.

Venom sounds like a douchey teenager? huh?

I'm just glad she'll be free to get--and we kind of get a better deal than Japan with her being available for first-print editions only (until she becomes paid DLC down the line).
Anyway, for anyone with their pulse on the genre, does XRD have a prayer of being a main stage EVO event in coming years? Or is it likely to be relegated to a niche player base like P4, SG, and BB?
There's a very good chance Xrd will be on the main stage. It has a longer history in the FGC than the other anime games and the series is more beloved among the community. Plus it looks pretty. I guess it depends on how many people will be supporting the game prior to EVO.

Anyway, for anyone with their pulse on the genre, does XRD have a prayer of being a main stage EVO event in coming years?
New game from a company with money to throw at Evo? Doesn't matter if the community drops it like a rock, it will be main stage for at least one year.

That makes me wonder why Dead or Alive 5 never made it to EVO. Team Ninja threw money at other tourneys, so why not EVO?

Guilty Gear Xrd is getting additional DLC colors.
bG3lqA3.png

Got this from Dustloop

- Quick unlock for Sin launches with the game at 250yen

- for non pre-order Elphelt will release on 12/18 for 800yen

- Leo's price and release date are TBA

- Character system voices launch 12/9: 300yen per character or full 17 pack for 3,500 (1,600yen savings)

- Additional colors launch 12/18 at 100yen per character or 1,200yen for 17 pack (500yen savings)

Sin is now Dante.
I might get those colors for Elphelt and May because brown skin.

Reactions: Ktulu
Guilty Gear Xrd is getting additional DLC colors.
bG3lqA3.png
I recognize most of these colors:
Sol - Orange alt he's had variations of since GGX.
Slayer - GGXX alt color.
Ky - GGXX alt color.
Elph - She's new.
May - I think she has a similar color in +R.
Sin - Mind controlled Sin from GG2.

dammit
i was hoping dizzy was gonna stay as a rock
now we got more waifu shit to worry about

at least Johnny's back

now we got more waifu shit to worry about

Now? Motherfucker did you not see Elphelt?

we'll need a pump to clean up all of Sano's load that's for sure

meanwhile I'm just here
in the Robo-Ky corner

Reactions: SanoBaron
Because it would be better to release a few $8 DLC characters before releasing the new version, making the extra money you spent wasted.

Because it would be better to release a few $8 DLC characters before releasing the new version, making the extra money you spent wasted.
whens Xrd Extend?

Reactions: Ktulu