• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Indivisible: Lab Zero's Action-RPG! (General Discussion)

[emphasis mine]

sorry,i'm not familiar with MvC supers and the term dual tech immediately reminds me of Chrono Trigger. i guess people making the same confusion might be like me.
i believe i understand now,seems like a cool and smart solution. thanks for taking your time to explain it to me!

it wasn't Lab Zero's responsibility to make skullgirl's balanced between picking 1,2 or 3 fighters in a battle.
Uh... yeah it kinda was actually.
It's a tournament geared fighting game. 100% the dev's responsibility to make all forms of tournament play as balanced as possible :P

It’s funny that Antipode got brought up, because I just kind of assumed it would work like that, or maybe like a Fire Sword/Ice Sword kind of deal, where things are essentially the same except for the effects. So, Dhar could just have a big slashing type of thing, and it’s slightly modified for every character he dual techs with. By keeping his part the same, you can give him a dual tech for every pairing. If he pairs with physical attacker, it's an X Strike, and with a magic user, it's an Element Sword, but either way, his frames are the same.

Or something. I'm sure they'll figure out a way to get the most out of their assets.

Reactions: The Dave
Uh... yeah it kinda was actually.
It's a tournament geared fighting game. 100% the dev's responsibility to make all forms of tournament play as balanced as possible :P
isn't melee considered viable for tournaments despite a lot of characters being unbalanced? (i don't really follow the fighting pro scene so i'm not sure). so i don't know if that should be considered a responsibility,cause it sounds like you're not giving them credit for giving players all these workable and viable options instead of a few,as if it was their obligation to do so?

i know that's not your intention though,just arguing semantics here. i'll stop

isn't melee considered viable for tournaments despite a lot of characters being unbalanced? (i don't really follow the fighting pro scene so i'm not sure).

Melee was made in a time before balance patches, so players pretty much had to accept what they were given. That's not to say that the developers knew the game was unbalanced when they made it; each developer has their philosophy for balance in game design (especially Sakurai).

These days, though, fighting games are shaped a lot more by feedback of the people that actually play them (and also sometimes those that don't play them, but whatevs :I ).

We already at 24 characters (without Ajna). And already know Iron-hand lady, Rope Lady, Scottish Samurai, Old man, Victorian Archer and “the guy in the last video”, so 6 more (28 in total). If the reveals still go in the male – female – male, we need 2 more females “not showed” for now, making 8 more characters.

In the 6 characters case, more 300k above 1100k to show all (making a run of characters in 1400k). The 8 one, we only run of characters then we meet the goal.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
I'm pretty sure Peter mentioned somewhere that they might have to reveal monster designs or other such concept art at each 50k milestone as we get closer to the goal, suggesting that there arent many more incarnations, if any, beyond who was glimpsed in the campaign trailer. There was the ninja looking guy from the recent update video, assuming he's not supposed to be an antogonist.
If i was LabZero, I would include the non playable incarnations into the mix; the botanist lady and the painter etc.

I'm hoping the Painter incarnation unlocks a guest art gallery, similar to Skullgirls Encore, with certain sections unlocked when you meet certain criteria.

Edit: Also we're closing in on that 1,150k

I hope if he does have "unlockable" art, that the art to be unlocked has conditions listed.. unless it'd give away a key story plot. What made some of the art on Skullgirls annoying to get as I didn't know how to unlock em.. Aside from beating the stuffing outa Marie 300%

I'm pretty sure Peter mentioned somewhere that they might have to reveal monster designs or other such concept art at each 50k milestone as we get closer to the goal, suggesting that there arent many more incarnations, if any, beyond who was glimpsed in the campaign trailer. There was the ninja looking guy from the recent update video, assuming he's not supposed to be an antogonist.
If i was LabZero, I would include the non playable incarnations into the mix; the botanist lady and the painter etc.
I think mike mentioned incarnations as stretch goals

(Man... I go back a lot to find this :P)

We think we have Incarnations up through $1.5m. Past that, we have stretch goals!

Of course, all can be changed.

What made some of the art on Skullgirls annoying to get as I didn't know how to unlock em.. Aside from beating the stuffing outa Marie 300%
There was a bug for some art before that meant you couldn't unlock them aside from Marie 300%, I think some of the environments? Heh.
Otherwise everything is pretty darn self-explanatory - beat the equivalent story mode, etc.
So no, I don't think an explanation is really necessary.

off topic
isn't melee considered viable for tournaments despite a lot of characters being unbalanced? (i don't really follow the fighting pro scene so i'm not sure). so i don't know if that should be considered a responsibility,cause it sounds like you're not giving them credit for giving players all these workable and viable options instead of a few,as if it was their obligation to do so?
MvC2 is considered viable for tournaments despite basically 8 characters being "playable" at tournament level.
It is to the credit of the Melee and MvC2 devs that the games are still competitive when only those few characters are widely used.
(Also, I personally contend that Melee is still considered tournament viable as a Smash game because none of the Smash games that have been made after Melee are anywhere near as good when played at a high level.)

HOWEVER, that's irrelevant! I don't think whether people will play the game in tournaments is primarily determined by balance. GGXX#Reload was played in tournaments, MvC1 was playing in tournaments, vanilla SF4 was played in tournaments...

It is ENTIRELY the responsibility of the developers to ensure that the game is as balanced as possible. 100%. You can't argue otherwise.
The more balanced the cast, and the less counter-picks matter, the BETTER suited the game is for tournament play. That can be done by giving everyone lots of options and hoping it works out, or by actually balancing all the characters through multiple rounds of playtesting and revisions. But it's still the developer's responsibility.

So yes, it was our responsibility to make sure that AS MUCH of the game as possible was usable in a tournament setting.

Applying this to RPGs, I think it's the developers' responsibility to make sure that no character is useless. What players determine as "super broken" or "useless" is not often related to how useful a character really is, though.

what about symbols ( related to the game obviously ) or characters that you can expand like in Silent Hill 4.

It'd have to be short as hell, it loads pretty fast.
Reminds me of how the Wii U eShop has a loading screen minigame that's some sort of slot machine thing. I have no idea what happens if you line three up because it always finishes loading before I can even stop the third reel.

Wait theres a PATENT on Loading screen minigames?! really...

Reminds me of how the Wii U eShop has a loading screen minigame that's some sort of slot machine thing. I have no idea what happens if you line three up because it always finishes loading before I can even stop the third reel.
Nothing happens aside from a Ding Ding Ding sound. :(

Wait theres a PATENT on Loading screen minigames?! really...

Yes. You would be surprised with how many patents exists for things.

(Also, I personally contend that Melee is still considered tournament viable as a Smash game because none of the Smash games that have been made after Melee are anywhere near as good when played at a high level.)

Yo Project M though :P

Well... Crowdcharts still broken... then he back, probably all this time broken will be counted in one day, and a lot of people will think we get a fantastic day.........

big awesome reply

i feel kinda bad for taking a developer's time to reply me,but i also really appreciate your insight. wish you and Ravidrath had time to write some articles,i would eat them up.

Reactions: Wenzel
Yo Project M though :P
I cry myself to sleep every night over the fact that a game made by and for fans to build on all the best aspects of the series is being killed off in favor of a steaming pile of garbage from George Lucas who openly admits that he's now designing his games to be as anti-competitive as possible.

We eSports now.

Reactions: Cheesedragon
I cry myself to sleep every night over the fact that a game made by [..] fans to build on all the best aspects of the series is being killed off
Business is business. They could have approached Nintendo with a prototype instead of making it public and thereby basically FORCING Nintendo to shut them down in order to display ownership of their own properties.

Ideally it won't have any loading screens past the one at startup. I have this big plan of the world appearing seamless...

i feel kinda bad for taking a developer's time to reply me,but i also really appreciate your insight. wish you and Ravidrath had time to write some articles,i would eat them up.
If I had time to write articles I wouldn't be making games. :^P

Ideally it won't have any loading screens past the one at startup. I have this big plan of the world appearing seamless...

Mike, you're a mad man.

I actually don't think I've experienced that before? Unless you're going with the method of preloading areas while a player explores like...
Silent Hill and the GTA games? Sorry, I can't remember to much that didn't make me wait.

Reactions: Rakurin
Unless you're going with the method of preloading areas while a player explores like...
Silent Hill and the GTA games? Sorry, I can't remember to much that didn't make me wait.
Well yeah, that's how you do that. Most open-world games do, even Mercenaries 2 did. With 8GB of memory we BETTER be able to do that. :^)

Until the speedrunners start clipping through walls and accelerating faster than you can load more walls.

Ajna Heruka Form Art Dump

It really bothers/shocks/confuses me (shothfuses?) that more stuff like this is not posted on the campaign.
Obviously these are all completely early off the cuff concept designs and will likely be tossed out as irrelevant in a week or two, but they are super interesting to look at, spur discussion and are sooooo rebloggable on tumblr.

This is amazing advertising material and there's only been two or three batches of it - one for Dhar/Thorani and now this of Ajna's Heruka form. Might be more I'm forgetting, but whatever. Any little doodles of characters like these compiled together into images like this would be fantastic to show around.

Very few people care that these things may not end up in the game, or that a character may change designs between now and tomorrow. If people do complain that they liked a character back in the original concepts or Filia was cooler when she was a weird bug monster thing, then whatever.
It's amazing to get an insight into this part of development and it gets a lot of people really invested and pumped about showing it off.

Hopefully is cool for me to post these. Of course, nothing is final etc. I like drawing the Ajna’s wrathful Heruka form, though still a bit tricky to get a hang of her face. Gotta get dat rrraaaagge. We’ll just say that her fangs grow/shrink/shape shift coz Iddhi. Had fun drawing that beam pose!

tumblr_nyezx0lz6O1rip8ybo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nyezx0lz6O1rip8ybo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nyezx0lz6O1rip8ybo3_1280.jpg

Last edited:
you guys see the new heruka mode stuff alex did yet? op never mind someone beat me to it
but man this game is targetting me in all the right places.Wrathful deities that don't need to justify why they're kicking your ass because you're a total dick is always a sell point for me
I friggin love the Heruka mode
Animation3.gif
Animation4.gif
it's got all the super sayain wow factor but without all the fanboys acting like dbz was the worlds most perfect series

what happen? I go sleep with so little to the next incarnation... and awaken and still not get the incarnation, with the pledges coming with an hour of distance between each! How we lost so much steam?

wow, the transformation and the poses look amazing
also that thousand arms turning into skulls thing is a nice touch

Ajna gets Proton Cannon? yay!