• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...Josh's struggle to not suck...

And with that I present burst bait kara vial load for light....(if its even worth doing in a match...)

that burst bait has been known for a while now. The thing about it is that you can't capitalize and punish the burst unless if you cancel vial load into super. Doing so will not let you load the vial in time.

Also you're either on frame disadvantage or back to neutral after loading the vial, and people with teams can alpha counter in when they burst. So things like burst>alpha counter>super can punish the burst bait.

In practice, beginner to intermediate players wouldn't alpha counter from burst, but you essentially trade corner pressure and a potential burst bait punish for a single vial load if you don't cancel it into scalpels.

Well see that's where my team comes in. I've got drill assist that I can throw out. And didn't realize that someone already knew about this. Also I think that there might be better ways to do this I'll be experimenting to see some better set ups. But thanks for the heads up fedora

worked with twerk tonight and developed some new tech for fukua (exclusive and more to come 0_0) But need to do extensive lab work on this. Once I get it down Ill release the details and the potential uses of it. Val is still very strong. Now for the final frontier.......filia.........

I keep losing to the top players. Only one option.............I must learn every character and master my three mains (only option to win)

this is hows its going to go down:
1. bella
2. parasol
3. painwheel
4. peacock
5. eliza
6. double
7. BB
8. squigs

I plan on learning combos, resets, frame info, and match up data (if theres any thing else I should look at let me know). Here we go......

I can help ya out with Bella. Sent ya a friend invite.

I can help ya out with Bella. Sent ya a friend invite.
WHOA BACK OFF MANG. I'M THE BELLA INFORMANT. YOU HANDLE EVERYONE ELSE I CAN'T TOUCH WITH A MAGICAL HAT.

yo chill dawg chill. Im like a prostitute everyone can have piece of me

So worked with broseidon on Bella stuff and found some points of focus:
1. Learn flow chart
2. GLMF (grab like a motha fucker)
3. Condition your opponent with pokes
4. Use armor and mixups to your advantage

Thanks again bro

Empty Jump grab is a good thing to through in when applying pressure. If you jump in attack everytime, they can just pushblock.
Now if I could only take advantage of my advice...

parasol day one.....with bella assist (team used way to much here we go)

Mike Z you need to nerf bella dude. Parasol with lock and load assist is way to good

played some games with fedora (went pretty well) Learned again how broken bella is.............-_-........ Also learned how to play some basic parasol and learned some more stuff with bella and doubs. all I got is painwheel, eliza, squigs, bb, and fortune. (Im coming for that number one spot ya dig!)

played some games with fedora (went pretty well) Learned again how broken bella is.............-_-........ Also learned how to play some basic parasol and learned some more stuff with bella and doubs. all I got is painwheel, eliza, squigs, bb, and fortune. (Im coming for that number one spot ya dig!)
hate to the be that one guy. it does not matter how much you learn of each character. as long as your core game sucks then your fundamentals will fail you!

But if I know what to expect then I can base my fundamentals on that. my logic is if I know whats coming I can react. For instance I played several matches against fedora with val solo and knew every move he was going to do before he did it (because I knew what to expect). Just saying Im a reaction and read based player not a Im going to keep crossing you up type

Aw shit. I ended up writing a wall of text. Well, here we go. notes and stuff.

I hate the solo Val mirror match. Air dash air dash air dash jump air dash j.hp air dash j.hp. Val resets are boring, predictable, and all lose to mashing. I need LnL to keep things interesting. You were doing some really punishable stuff that I didn't punish at times for some reason. Full screen ground scalpels, whiffed air EKGs and savage bypasses...

Ground scalpels is an almost never used super because of its huge recovery and low damage. Almost every character has something to punish it fullscreen.
Big Band: block/parry>BRASS
Parasoul: block>super
Bella: reflect>command run>stuff or lvl3
Val: block/jump>air bypass>air scalpels> combo
Double: CAR
Squigs: sing>super/whatever
Fukua: block>dash>BFF
Peacock: gets her dreams come true.

Sometimes your were using ground scalpels to punish my LnL calls. It's better to counter call assists to punish assists. But if you wanna, you can up-back>scalpels to punish assists.

At the same time, protect your assist calls. Any dp assist you threw out that I blocked or straight wiffed ate a giant hat fist in the face. Also your counter calls for my LnL usually ate some kinda hit from my point character.

Fukua. Learn more resets with her cuz I'm not scared of getting hit if you're just gonna launch>air fireball>jump grab. With Val I can just reversal EKG to get out. Other characters without air supers I can just tech out and reversal once I hit the ground since you don't check if the opponent is going to mash super.

Also know that SG is a team based game. You can't always know what to expect with individual character knowledge. Sure it can help, but once you come across a player that does unique gimmicks with their team, your fundamentals will be reduced to your core game and ability to adapt. For instance, Warped Echo. Plays Painwheel/Filia/Double. I've played enough painwheels to know when to block high when they flight cancel, but my character knowledge gets wrecked when he flight cancels, calls fillia for c.mk assist, and waits for me to get hit low. It worked. A LOT.

Stuff.
i think fundamentals are being misinterpreted.

fundementals are more of the lines of

blocking
knowing when to press buttons
knowing when to pushblock and so so

after a high level it then becomes reading the opponent.

what you just said was explaining character knowledge which will help! but after some point you will run into a wall due to players doing the unexpected. whether its team based or not. everyone can do it.

You guys keeping saying learn fundamentals learn this learn that... I Think I finally understand skullgirls its not about learning a character its about learning your opponent..... Thats what I need to work on...... I was never good at this any ways ughhh........ So I guess I should start taking notes on every person I play to understand tendencies

I'm just overwhelmed. I take suggestions very seriously and I don't know what I should do....Do I spend all my time in the lab developing my combo, reset, bait game or do I spend my time playing online against people and polish what I already know? I keep getting blown up by the same things over and over again (skullbats keeps reminding me how awful my gameplan and general approach is). Its gotten to the point where I'm keeping a notebook and binder of flowcharts, combos, resets, baits and general tech info...... I dont know what else to do to get better...... (and dont just say keep playing......)

Well enough of my venting and frustration cause thats not going to get me anywhere. Who is the best squg player (cause I need to learn how to blow her up..) Also Painwheel I've noticed that there are two main traits to her play style: cr. lk into combo or flight cancel into blender looking thing (yes my terminology is ignorant when it comes to this character -_-) what the pattern to these?. Lastly I want to know what you guys did to get better (please give me detailed stuff like training schedule or mental notes on "downloading" an opponent). I know this is alot of stuff and yes I'm being a bitch..........(deal with it (insert fortune with shades .jpg))

Step 1: beat #twerk at least once (check......)
Step 2: Do it every time -_- (reclaim the murda teams colors) (needs work)
Step 3: go after everyone else (give me a month)
Step 4: go to tournaments (give me a month)
Step 5: get profit (its a joke if you didnt realize it -_-)

Val still needs work on the cross up consistency
Fukua needs many more resets
Filia needs resets
Parasol needs that guard cancel thing
Bella needs flowchart memorization
Fortune needs greater familiarity
Squigs ????
BB ??????
Eliza ????
Painwheel ???????

Last edited:
note to self..... avoid playing skullgirls when either drunk or tired......(or a combination of the two 0_0)

Also other notes still need help with the painwheel match up (what the hell does she do????)
Might be going to GU (thanks peanuts ) So you all might get to witness the birth of a god (once again another joke if you couldn't tell..... 0_o)
Lastly still need to bang out the peacock, parasol, and bella flowcharts (gotta love these extra curricular activities that have god damn homework......0_o)

worked out a cool little reset option for filia. jump, adc, j. lk, j. mk quick fall, dash grab.

As Drake would say "Im on a roll like cottonelle"

I'm not a pro by any measure, so here's my thoughts from someone in a similar position. Take my "knowledge" with a grain of salt.

I would say to learn how to beat what you get blown up by the most. It's probably the most frustrating way to go about it, but I think it's the fastest way to get better. Then you can start focusing on doing what you wanna do.

Painwheel Matchup:
PW is pretty much a living reset gimmick. Her normals are on the slow side, this is why she cancels blockstrings into flight, but none of it is really safe at all. Her defense is awful.
1. Don't be afraid of this garbage, fear tends to be the main reason she eats new players alive.
2. Keep her from putting you in the blender. Sit on her head. Keep her from getting in, keep her from flying, keep her from jumping.

General Character Info:
(I AM NOT AN EXPERT)

Squigly wants the hit. She floats and ducks around avoiding you. Then comes the quick huge combo and greedy resets. Just don't stick your neck out too far, she isn't quite able to rush you down.

Eliza is stretchy. Expect aerials and high-low mixups with reach. She's a giant target with no good reversal, pile on the pressure if you get in, she doesn't have that many safe blockstrings either.

Big Band is big. Block his giant limbs and punish EVERY time he does a special. Think of him as a keep-away character, you have to be patient to get in.

Miss Fortune is basic rushdown. She doesn't have any *incredible* ways to get in, but she causes a lot of block pressure with safe moves when she does.

Learning everyone is fine, don't force yourself to though. It certainly hasn't made me much better. It can be enough to just get an idea of what an enemy character wants to generally do, and be aware of common resets. Getting comfortable with who you play is arguably more important because of the pressure you will be under.

General approach and gameplan being bad? The flowchart thing is not a bad idea. Find an assist that can help you get in (Bella H-LNL is flavor of the month) and don't get nailed by dp assists.
Basically find ways to make pressure, and keep pressure. The best defense is a good offense. This game tends to be one where if you're not making them deal with your shit, you end up having to deal with theirs.

One last thing, I've started to realize that a lot of it really is time. It takes experience to git gud, learning to fight all these setups as they come along. Break things up, try to focus on small goals, and try not to get frustrated. Any time you are learning something small, you are becoming a better player. Take a break when salt levels are critical and nothing seems to make sense. Your biggest enemy and obstacle will always be yourself, no matter what level you're stuck at, I've been learning this the hard way lately.

Thanks for the advice raven :). If you can't tell by the way this log is presented I'm not a fan of doing things the easy way. Also it's not usually salt that gets to me it's the realization that I'm not good enough (or the lag is terrible -_- freggin wifi). I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that's at this point. Lastly I do think playing more will help but I think I require some more lab work to polish my stuff. I'm a diamond in the rough gotta buff out that shit

Also Raven was the advice you presented your own? Cause if it was good work my dude. Ill have to put this stuff into practice cause these are really my problem characters and with this I think I can play:
fukua vs. squig chuck plasma and clones and use SRK assist if she dives at me
Filia vs. Painwheel and just throw out SRKs and s. hp
Val vs. BB be patient, watch for the GS, and punish all normals except for lights
Fukua or Val vs. fortune throw out plasma, clones, or air crosses and make sure she doesnt get in on me (use SRK assist to punish the pressure)
Val vs. Eliza throw out jump, adc, j. HP and keep on the pressure with fukua drill assist or LL

#Twerk ur probably going to crucify me for this analysis (please be gentle -_-)
Also Raven your thoughts on this (I know your not an expert but you beat me so you can critique me)
Broseidon any other thoughts on these match ups?
Fedora what anti crossup normals would you suggest for Val to keep out PW?

The only thing I would add to fighting against Painwheel is to practice pushblocking against her, good pushblocks can shut down her offense very quickly.

I'll add you on Steam too since I think we're pretty evenly matched, I'm one the GU semi-regulars (not as regular as Ceno or McPeanuts, but more regular than people who don't go at all ^_^ ) Hope you can make it to the monthly on Nov 1st!

The only thing I would add to fighting against Painwheel is to practice pushblocking against her, good pushblocks can shut down her offense very quickly.

I'll add you on Steam too since I think we're pretty evenly matched, I'm one the GU semi-regulars (not as regular as Ceno or McPeanuts, but more regular than people who don't go at all ^_^ ) Hope you can make it to the monthly on Nov 1st!
Look for Get Trippy thats my tag as of today

Also Raven was the advice you presented your own? Cause if it was good work my dude
The advice is basically my own. I've gone through this process in a lot of different games. I write a lot of shit when mornings run long and people start avoiding me in quick match. A lot of it is inspired by things people would say in my Marvel 2 days. There are also still some really good threads like http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-psyche-yourself-into-being-better.5861 and I try to ask pros questions every chance I get.

Sounds fine to me.

Watch out for that armor bait. This is why i say sit on her head, I feel that it's easier to win when you're above her.

Val vs. BB be patient, watch for the GS, and punish all normals except for lights
Be careful when doing this, Bigby's normals have a lot of blockstun and can act as ghetto frametraps.

Fukua or Val vs. fortune throw out plasma, clones, or air crosses and make sure she doesnt get in on me (use SRK assist to punish the pressure)
Sounds okay.

Val vs. Eliza throw out jump, adc, j. HP and keep on the pressure with fukua drill assist or LL
Eliza j.MK > adc > j.MK might beat this clean I think? I've beaten a lot of Valentines that were much better players than me just because of this. I'm not sure what would work though. Maybe Valentine's j.HK to hit the long limbs? DP assist? Just run under her? lol my Valentine is garbage.

Anyway I dunno about critique, it's nothing that hasn't been said already. I'd offer to play you more, my unofficial BFF, but it might just share my terrible habits, I'm one of those random as fuck guys. You can add me if you want to try my ghetto Painwheel or Eliza and if you want paragraphs of text.

Last edited:
The advice is basically my own. I've gone through this process in a lot of different games. I write a lot of shit when mornings run long and people start avoiding me in quick match. A lot of it is inspired by things people would say in my Marvel 2 days. There are also still some really good threads like http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-psyche-yourself-into-being-better.5861 and I try to ask pros questions every chance I get.

Sounds fine to me.

Watch out for that armor bait. This is why i say sit on her head, I feel that it's easier to win when you're above her.

Be careful when doing this, Bigby's normals have a lot of blockstun and can act as ghetto frametraps.

Sounds okay.

Eliza j.MK > adc > j.MK might beat this clean I think? I've beaten a lot of Valentines that were much better players than me just because of this. I'm not sure what would work though. Maybe Valentine's j.HK to hit the long limbs? DP assist? Just run under her? lol my Valentine is garbage.

Anyway I dunno about critique, it's nothing that hasn't been said already. I'd offer to play you more, my unofficial BFF, but it might just share my terrible habits, I'm one of those random as fuck guys. You can add me if you want to try my ghetto Painwheel or Eliza and if you want paragraphs of text.
I take criticism very seriously so any chance I get for critique I welcome with open arms. And hell yeah I'll play a set with you for it

Also Raven was the advice you presented your own? Cause if it was good work my dude. Ill have to put this stuff into practice cause these are really my problem characters and with this I think I can play:
Squigs you better be careful. cause she's got the betters. she will most likely have a charge on her. once she does for the love of god place your fireballs nicely. most likely you will be rushing down. cause squigs barely has any reasons to come after fukua

Filia vs PW. use L airball> adc > j lk > j hk.

Fukua vs fortune DEPENDS. with head on you gotta use EVERY SHADOW. be wary of her approach. Headless? LOL use L shadow and S. HK headless is fucked tbh.

Played some games with Fedora, Twerk, and Raven. Went really well (I beat twerk again though I doubt he was really trying) also learned the proper way to fight BB (wait then punish wait then punish rinse repeat till dead.....) Finally was able to pull off that parasol grab into launcher out of the corner with the soldier thing. Shout outs to Raven for all the match up info (it really helped dude). Also maybe you guys will get to see me at GU someday (thanks McPeanuts again for the effort dude :) ) Its gonna be a super busy weekend so we shall see how much time I have to practice for Skullbats on Sunday (cause I still need it -_-)............ Oh well

Im coming for the crown watch yourselves 0_0

Thanks for the hype matches, I'm glad the tips worked, it will only work to an extent though. Really good players know their characters' weaknesses, and will work around them. This is that "use who you're comfortable with" thing again. Gimmicks aside, it will ultimately boil down to you.

I'll put up the recordings on my training journal tommorrow (barring any youtube issues). My analysis and impressions are going up on my training journal today. Feel free to use them here, or maybe I'll post the video if Fedora doesn't, I did miss a couple matches due to some technical issues, so their copy would be better.

Some games with Raven and Fedora (ggs you guys after watching these matches we look pretty good lol)

I want that #twerk footage wish you could of stayed a little longer Raven -_- good looks on the video though

Also please critique any of my gameplay and if you want to critique Ravens or Fedoras go write on their diaries (thanks in advance for any constructive criticism :) )

My controller broke and my hard drive was full. lol. I still have about 20 more minutes of footage, with better matches, it's just that youtube keeps burping it up. Give me about another hour. Or ask Fedora if he got it.

I did mention on my diary that you tend to jump and airdash around a hell of a lot. This is probably the right way to play your characters (??? I wouldn't know), but you usually went for a low/grab one time whenever you landed from a jump, before jumping again. If I could stop you from jumping somehow, your offense got much easier to deal with.

I also got to a point where I started just aiming for Fukua because it seemed like that's where a lot of the damage on your team was coming from. Maybe it's just because I don't know how to fight this character.

I don't really know what advice to give you. I still have way too much to learn. Maybe if you could dragonball fusion with Fedora (he has good defense and ground game), you can win the everyevo.

Lol I'm trying to work on my defense but if you couldn't tell by my avatar I like to play super aggressively with all aspects of my gameplay: zoning, rush down, and of course mixups. My defense is my weakest FG trait but Im really trying to work at that. Also with respect to the jumping I use that to cross up and chicken block (yes I do it alot -_-)