• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...Josh's struggle to not suck...

what exactly would you like me to talk about? i would be willing to help but i don't want to make the whole thing convoluted and would prolly have to say "work on everything"
Edit: so pick one aspect for me to talk about.

ugh.....(guess I have a lot to work on.....) Lets talk about my utilization of normal moves and when and when not to use them. Since you specialize in filia and fukua advice on those two would be the most helpful.

ok your normal usage.

So fukua's J.hk is only active for 2 frames. you continued to jump at me with that normal thinking i would challenge it. wasn't a bad decision.

The main part in your problem was when you did combos they would be inconsistent and most times would end in the air because S lp, S mp would push the opponent away at times. this is from what i remember.

For filia you just dashed all over the place and did some cool little wavedashing. at times it was like "oh shit i'm at neutral how am i going to hit twerk?" and when you got the throw you would throw away from the corner and do ringlet to gregor. the one time you did throw me to the corner you did the ringlet to gregor again and i was like "why would you do this" filia 10X better with the corner on her side.

I've got like 2 hours worth of footage so I gotta break it up. Please be patient since I'm gonna be working with Windows Movie Maker. ugh. Really not that motivated.

My defense comes from playing a team without a dp for like a little over half a year. Still need to learn how to get out of/avoid situations like filia rushdown.

Josh you fall into a pattern of using the same area of resets with not much mixups. You also don't take into account that I may reversal super or dp. These two combined allow me to get away with mashing or doing a reversal as soon as I see the setup. Additionally you did random supers when Twerk and I were holding downback. Dunno if you were trying to get some hard reads, but please don't. If you're caught in a staredown, just poke, throw, call assist or what have you. Just choose to either go in or escape.

Your Val neutral. You started chucking shurikens. Good. Now start using air normals other than j.hp. They are all amazing, and there's so much more than IAD j.hp till you get a crossup.
  • J.hk is a good midrange spacing tool with a huge disjointed hitbox. Don't use it up close cuz of its long startup and can lose to jabs and air grabs. Up close use stuff like j.lp, lp dead cross, and j.lk if you're above them.
  • The first hit of j.mk has a disjointed hitbox and low to the ground can be canceled into j.hp to fast fall for a ground mixup. The move itself increases forward momentum and moves you forward if you're upbacking.
  • J.lk is your other crossup tool. On block it has enough hitstun to be a tick grab setup. During an air combo adc into it and you land on the other side.
  • J.hp is cool cuz it's fast, disjointed, and crosses up. However, can be pushblocked easily and gains zero pressure against upbacking and opponents in the air.
  • J.mp is your obvious pressure tool. Don't abuse it cuz it can easily get air grabbed.
  • J.lp is a jab. Has a very small disjointed hitbox.
I also noticed that with fukua you used mp air fireball when they were well under that range, and then the opponent was on your ass as soon as you landed.

Thanks Fedora for all that (I guess I should of read the beginner stuff for val instead of just learning how to cross up, combo, and do the same reset) So what Im getting at is should I learn more combos and develop resets for those to keep my mixup game fresh? Also all those normal explanations are perfect thanks for those Fedora :). And Twerk your suggesting that I learn combos that end on the ground, keep characters in the corner with filia, and stop throwing out random supers?

Also Fedora you dont have to kill yourself over the video footage man take your time and release it whenever you want (Im not going to pressure you to bang that out as fast as you can :) )

Next #Twerk lets discuss my assist calls (That is was I throwing out filia, fukua, and val at the right times and not relying on that to win like I was before)

i'm simply saying that you learn to optimize your combos and make them more practical. cause either they drop or they HAVE to end in the air. you optimize your combos by using lights usually at the end not during air strings unless you're val or something.

Yes to stop throwing out supers. you waste meter as you gain it. you're then forced to raw tag which is pretty cool in this game but its easily punishable.

i'm also saying learn to put your opponents in the corner. it makes them scared it makes them mash. use it to your advantage.

Now for assist calls.

you usually call them whenever you're on defense which is cool. other times you would call it at neutral. so what do i do? i hit the assist hard. now the assist is bleeding and your point character is about to die. so once i kill the point character your bleeding assist just lost all that precious red life.

You also developed a habit to use your assists to cover unsafe moves. Not a bad thing, but you would try and do it while your assist was still on the screen and I get a free combo.

Gonna dump these here. Will add as they get done. Was listening to Troy Baker's new album at the time while playing. Didn't realize it looped like 3 times. An hour and 35 min later switched to some Coheed & Cambria and later some Tech N9ne

Last edited:
Holy shit dude nice job on these thank you so much 0_0 is there any thing I can do for either of you guys?

After viewing these videos and personally banging my head on my desk every time I see my self do something stupid (My head really hurts now .....(-_-)......) I have come to these conclusions:
1. My reads are pretty spot on for the most part (no need to practice that)
2. My trigger finger is way to fucking twitchy (I jump the gun way to often and throw away meter)
3. I need to push block the fuck out of Bella to get her off my ass
4. I need to break my opponent down to win
5. I need to keep my opponent in the corner to kill
6. My Filia call are called at the right time (no work needs to be done on that)
7. I need to learn double snaps
8. Val needs less resets and more damage
9. Filia needs more versatility so I can dash around like a fucking moron and get somewhere
10. Im going to be the best.......... BELIEVE IT!!!

about that time of the week again (time to get molested in skullbats while Im half asleep......freggin 5 nights with freddy foxy bullshit not letting me get sleep 0_o)

Shout outs to @bielprendes for the new icon thanks alot dude :)... The power of ken in fukua let the magic begin

Shout outs to @bielprendes for the new icon thanks alot dude :)... The power of ken in fukua let the magic begin
I made a version that I think best to use as icon
Fukua Ken Palette.jpg

Reactions: joshb911
0_0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it 0_0.......... How do I like it like 3*10^6 times???

0_0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it 0_0.......... How do I like it like 3*10^6 times???
Thanks

Your rushdown is pretty frightening once you get down to business, I can never seem to correctly guess on any of the valentine mixups/resets you use. Then again, I'm pretty free anyways.

Your rushdown is pretty frightening once you get down to business, I can never seem to correctly guess on any of the valentine mixups/resets you use. Then again, I'm pretty free anyways.
No one is free to me
Even if you dont press a button I learn something from a match

I hate when people use words like free and spam no such thing in the world of fighting games.

Also thanks for the compliment dude

No one is free to me
Even if you dont press a button I learn something from a match

I hate when people use words like free and spam no such thing in the world of fighting games.

Also thanks for the compliment dude
Heh, yeah I'm just messin' with ya man, although now I guess I can follow your lead and focus a lot more on my weaknesses now that I've decided on my damn team. (Took me long enough lmao)

Reactions: joshb911
Also I'm probably not the best person to give advice I kind of suck.....

Also I'm probably not the best person to give advice I kind of suck.....
Nah, anyone who tries to adapt their game and at least recognize what they do wrong is a great player in my book. As well as having a firm grasp on how to apply their characters strengths and their assists to certain situations. You at least have that, heh, I still throw napalm pillar out like I'm playing marvel XD

Things I need to work on.

High low mix-up game...
More ground offense and less air to air dog fights
double snaps..........(ugh.....)

Today learned double snaps for val and Fukua (they are ridiculously easy to do. Now I just need to read my opponent and figure out when to punish them accordingly)

Next I think I'm gonna work on more options for Filia (although I'm pretty confident in her I still feel like I can do a lot more with her)

Last edited:
Discovered some emergency tactics for out of the corner situations:

Val: s.lk, EKG
Fukua: cr.lk, s.mk, s.hk, BFF
Filia: cr.lk, s.mk, s.hk, mp ringlet, Gregor

These all put your opponent close to the corner and for the sisters allows for back into the corner combos

I assume these are on hit?

some pointless two meter disrespectful combo. cause why not o_0

*shout outs to Peanuts in the background (forgot I was listening to the stream at the same time of recording....)

Last edited:
Some more flavor for your ears
My first three shadow clone combo (finally able to do one of these -_-)
ALSO more impressive is:

[what do you think of this as a possible reset for val?
Not intended recipient, but they seem to be in the air for a good enough time to mash out something (in bella's case, a jLK)

Intentded recipient. Kinda tipsy, but what Broseidon said. Ideally, with every reset there's different options you can spring from it. All i need to do to escape that is double jump. But there's plenty of time to block the crossup or mash out reversals, esp. if they have an air super.

Edit: Gud luck trying that on painwheels that love to mash air super

Last edited:
I should have been a little clearer on the description piece (that's what I get for doing it at 11:30). I wanted this to be a character specific reset to cross under val (I don't know if EKG can be mashed out and besides holding up back I can't think of how you could get out fast enough and I know the air time is ridiculous I need to work on trying to get closer to the ground)

And @Dreamepitaph I hope you plan on putting a reference page in your Fukua bible so I don't get thrown under the bus for the baits and combos I come up with (or at least put an acknowledgements portion in -_-)

And @Dreamepitaph I hope you plan on putting a reference page in your Fukua bible so I don't get thrown under the bus for the baits and combos I come up with (or at least put an acknowledgements portion in -_-)
most likely not. i don't take credit for any of the combos listed. your thirst for acknowledgement is a bit scary. *unwatches thread*

Edit: i put in the credits for any formatting and addition to information. Now that's done i leave your thread forever.

Last edited:
worked with MPgame on some val resets (desperately needed more of those) and also learned two major problems with my val:
1. I throw out bypass way to much
2. I throw out throws way to much

Hopefully the resets will help me reduce the tendency to throw out grabs. Thanks again @mpgame99 :)

Things I need help with:

*squily matchup (still....)
*more Filia resets (I've got a few but not as many as I would like)
*lastly someone to run the peacock obstical course on me so I can learn how to consistently get in on her