• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...Josh's struggle to not suck...

Things I need help with:

*squily matchup (still....)
*more Filia resets (I've got a few but not as many as I would like)
*lastly someone to run the peacock obstical course on me so I can learn how to consistently get in on her
I can help with the first and third points. I don't main Squigly anymore, but I still know how to play her, and if I may say so my Squigly is sort of a m a z i n g

Reactions: joshb911
played some matches with Fenster and Peanuts.
Things I learned:
* too much filia (no surprises there) although Im still able to function with out her which is much better than how I was before
* Squig is a pain in the ass when she has charge ( possible counters are fukua, para, maybe bella)
* Online sucks (Variable lag is way to common.....)
* Need to learn how to be more patient (goes against everything I stand for but I need to do it)
* I need to keep playing better players so I can learn from my failures and counter attack more effectively
* Need to find more effective ways out of the corner

Other miscellaneous things:
* Solo fukua might be a pretty viable 6th team
* Need to stop doing grab resets people are starting to react to them way to often........
* Counter to Eliza (parasol j.hp)

* Online sucks (Variable lag is way to common.....)
Incidentally are you on a wireless connection? Considering we live maybe 90 minutes away from each other, the connection was a lot worse than it should be. By contrast I played a bunch of games yesterday with Khaos who lives in I think Tennessee and that connection had no hiccups at all.

Bella vs Squigs.... eh. If she has the life lead Squigs can just run away all day. Tumble run gets eaten by spear. If Squigs has charge you basically can't hit any buttons. But if they're dumb and predictable with j.hp/divekicks (which they shouldn't be), devil horns rips their pressure.

Yeah @mcpeanuts I was playing with wifi (should of known when we were derping about)
@Dreamepitaph the reason I like the fukua squig match is because I see every squig going for that same j. hp thing (that thing when she extends her bones out or something dont know the input?). I feel that s.hk into hp hadouken or mk shadow stuffs that move I could be wrong though.
@Fedora_Ninja I like the bella squig match for her ability to use titan knuckle to hit her out of a charge attempt. But when shes charged its a whole different story (squig kind of rapes bella.....)

So thoughts on these new changes to fukua after I have actually had a chance to play some matches with her:
Pros:
I like them a lot! I can finally play her much more rush down like which is how I wanted to play her originally. The air fireball cross ups and new arcs have really helped her a lot. Also her fireball game feels more solid than it did before.
Cons:
Can not use shadows the way I used to. All of the combos are still possible but the timing is much more strict and have a much higher risk of failure associated with them (much more execution heavy now thank god now you actually have to be good to play fukua.....). The use of M. shadow now has a huge risk associated with it (use hp hadouken as an anti air).
Other thoughts and conclusions on my current team:
I'm sick of the low damage that my three girl team does so I've decided on using two teams.
One solo fukua
I feel she is my best character and I like her rush down capabilities and her swag.
Two val, fukua
I like val and fukua has some bad match ups so this will be my back up team for those situations.
I dont need a DP assist any more and learning filia is annoying so no more filia

I'm just gonna repeat what I told you on Steam already.
WOO! LESS KEEPAWAY FUKUAS!

Also, the fireball play can get really interesting yeah, but don't overdo it because I could still get behind you and punish you at times.

I gotcha. I was throwing out so many cause I was afraid to do anything else in that lag 0_o. But yeah I have to come up with some more approaches and what nots

Oh, true, I understand. The lag was pretty bad today.

Reactions: joshb911
I would have suggested this earlier, dumping Filia, but it never seemed like the right time. There's that whole thing about me not being any good. Frankly I've never been afraid of your Filia, and throwing her out like that updoken gets you killed in the long run. I guess it's now the long run.

The new (old? is revived beta tech new?) shit is pretty infuriating. If you can yeah, find more approaches, just work on neutral, you should be alright.

Your filia. All you did was TK hairball (which isn't safe) and IAD j.hp (which has a bunch of startup). So all I had to do as Bella was get in a range where you would air dash, and throw out s.mp, which has a huge disjointed hitbox. Or I waited for an airdash and dp'd.

And like Val doing raw bypasses, at least try covering the dp by cancelling into super. Not completely safe, but safer than just watching yourself eat a counter hit combo.

Man you guys should of said my Filia was ass a while ago....

you didn't ask. also stop doing panic supers when I only double jumped at you.

@Fedora_Ninja any thing else? Lay it on me.......
Edit: I'm being serious what else should I stop

Last edited:
Some game play of solo fukua with beta changes with Crux and Ravendeth

Thanks again Raven for the video

Oh God I ended up typing a dimex sized rant. *sigh* here we go:

uhhh stop doing panic supers when I only double jumped at you. Just don't random super.
If you're gonna try to reversal super at least try to see if they're pressuring you.

watched like 2 min of vid. When you said you could play Fukua more rushdown, I don't see it. You don't have a ground game. What you mainly did was up back fireball until you had 1 meter and spent it like dolla bills on a stripper. Meter in Marvel style games is typically reserved for the guaranteed kill, guaranteed punish, or guaranteed safe dhc. And then there's braindead mashing and catheads/ouroboros/spiral swords.

The main reason you won the second match was cuz of the solo vs trio damage. Double died from 2 random fireball supers and a bad call to panic lvl2. All he needed when you were in the corner was an air grab into reset and you were dead.

Also your incoming mixups were no mixups. Get used to the timing for when characters come in.

@4:45 poor choice of punish. Daisy Pusher has hella recovery. Coulda waited a bit to do falling j.hk, or do those air fireball supers that you so love doing.

The second hit of Double's tag in is a crossup. However, it's been patched so you always block it just by walking backwards.

@7:50 .................
You shoulda just lost right there.

@8:00 You got a burst bait. Don't try to punish with air grab when you could score a CH combo in the corner.

@8:14 Why are you doing supers after sweep? Stop. It's not safe on block and you can't combo after sweep unless the sweep is an OTG

*continues watching* Getting bored of Fukua mirror. Like the Val mirror, it's just two idiots doing shit in the air and completely missing each other. I don't think you've tried to throw outside of resets. Use them. She has command grabs and an air grab that sets up strong oki. If I see someone jumping too much my initial thoughts are to either try and catch them low or air grab. Towards the end Crux seems to have caught on and started dashing up c.lk.

You fell for Fukua's launch, j.lp delay crossup j.hk reset twice or more through the vid. As a fukua player you should know that reset and have responses to counter it. Whether it be to block the crossup and pushblock or find an appropriate air reversal. Hell you did it in the last match. You should recognize the setup.

Basically from what I know about fukua from playing Twerk and watching his stream, throw out shadows every so often, start pressuring them once they enter midrange and are still expecting fireball spam, and stop doing point blank fade away Love Darts like it's NBA street jam. You give up pressure that way and you've only thrown c.lks after a j.hp crossup fireball.

Thank you for the wall @Fedora_Ninja. Yeah I played some matches with Twerk last night and he made the exact same comments. But if I could just say a few things on some of the comments. The reason I'm just belting out supers is cause I'm solo now so there are no DHC opportunities and (I don't know if this is true) I think you build meter faster at 0 bars. Also the video doesn't show it but the lag in some of those matches was pretty bad so a lot of those resets came out of no where and I couldn't react.

That being said..... I waste my super way too much and I depend on the j.hk, air hadouken way to much. I'm trying to break my YOLO swag ken moment habits lol. But looking into the future I've found a great oki set up for Fukua with val cr. MK so I'm going to experiment with that some more. Lastly, you can't use shadows the way you could before so simply saying use shadows is not really helpful (it has a huge risk)

Thanks again for all the advice Fedora :)

edit: almost forgot up back lp fireball punishes LNL, bomber, drill, and brass knuckle (that's another reason for all the lp fireballs not an excuse for the scrubbery just something I noticed)

Last thing Fukua doesn't have an instant overhead so high low is obsolete(need to work on my hugging )

Last edited:
(I don't know if this is true) I think you build meter faster at 0 bars

If you have less than 1 bar of meter, you will gain meter for all whiffed normals ( like in 3rd strike ), but once you hit 1 bar this stops.

Don't know if this applies to fukua, but in general with my meter, I usually avoid spending it unless I know I'll make it count (US if all they've been doing is ground resetting me, Dynamo for damage, etc). Solos don't have DHCs, so every whiffed super is a giant hit me sign you can't afford to have.

learned a bunch of kara throws so i can play some third strike with fukua 0_0 (..yay..) Hoping mike Z fixes a few things with fukua before her final nerf (too much shadow recovery but I will play her regardless of these "nerfs")

need help with the filia match up......I cant follow the really good filia players and easily get put in a vortex

learned a bunch of kara throws so i can play some third strike with fukua 0_0 (..yay..) Hoping mike Z fixes a few things with fukua before her final nerf (too much shadow recovery but I will play her regardless of these "nerfs")

need help with the filia match up......I cant follow the really good filia players and easily get put in a vortex
before it used to be M shadow. and let them L airball so you can hit them with s HP but now i don't know the answer currently.

New mission.....

Must beat LD-50.... There can only be one solo Fukua in this world (0_o)
(imagine me saying this in the most robotic voice possible for added effect..)

Also bought all the DLC so now Im fully loaded so time to actually learn BB and Squigs
Maybe my Q will be making an appearance soon :)

Things I have realized about playing solo Fukua:
1. Her most damaging combo strings are obnoxious to perform online...
2. Playing a read based game is very difficult online (tested my reaction time and got .25 seconds so I know I'm not slow as balls)
3. Fuck online....

Things I still need help with:
Someone who can play a long set with Filia against me
Someone to play peacock against me
Someone to play squigs against me

I know how all these characters work I just don't fight them enough

I'm a total fraud with Filia, so I can't help much there. However, I am relatively well acquainted with both rushdown and keepaway Peacock, and I used to play her with Squigly on backup, so I might be able to provide some help. Besides, I could always use more people to play with myself.

I'm a total fraud with Filia, so I can't help much there. However, I am relatively well acquainted with both rushdown and keepaway Peacock, and I used to play her with Squigly on backup, so I might be able to provide some help. Besides, I could always use more people to play with myself.
Yeah dude that would be great. As long as you know peanut style keep away patterns stuff and know most of squigs combos and resets then were good for business. But that aside it is always nice to fight new people :)

Also I'm still very confused by painwheel.... I play fine until she either gets me in the corner or gets in my face then it's basically game over....

Also I'm still very confused by painwheel.... I play fine until she either gets me in the corner or gets in my face then it's basically game over....
That's how she's supposed to work; you're understanding her fine.

Unless you haven't realized that ground normalxxfly->some air normal leaves a gap that you can jab her out of.

So after a few weeks of consideration and after playing several games with different characters I have decided on a new team:
Val/Fukua/Bella No DP shenanigans just pure raw power (with pink and white outfits SWAG). I crisen this team "team pretty girl"

I learned several things today about certain characters:
Painwheel only has a few low attacks so crouching is not an optimal method of blocking
Eliza is easy to fight you just require a few things (good connection and a lot of patience)
Filia is all over the place but if you can lock her down shes not to difficult (best defense is a ridiculous offense)
Squig still have no idea how to fight her.....

Last edited:
Squig still have no idea how to fight her.....
Do you wanna run the matchup more? The last time we played this I didn't have a lot of Squigly specific advice after, it was more stuff like "don't call Updo from full screen lmao".

I will say that Squigly kinda has to jump because three of her best tools she needs to be in the air to do (j.LK, j.HP, and divekick) so in general you should be looking for her to jump and be ready to anti air her (and know what your anti air options are, practice them in training mode having the dummy do jump ins, etc). I have the most trouble as Squigly against people like Drewski who will just Excellabella me out of anything I try to do.

Yeah that would be tight @mcpeanuts I dont think I play enough Squigs to know of any strats against her shenanigans (that I learn from playing her over and over again). So yeah if you would be down to do a long set Im all for it my man

Reactions: mcpeanuts
worked on some kara throw set ups for bella. Need to learn the advanced flow route for Bella. Developed some new Bnbs for val. Found a 9.3k Fukua/ Bella combo with one meter.
Still can't beat painwheel on a regular basis but did find an answer to her charged j. Hp (air to air multi hitting moves and vals s.hk)
For val I found a cool Kara corpse drop into scapales combo (unusable online -_-)
Squig is still annoying I can't pin down this bitch....

Someone rage quit on me so pretty hype about that

Lastly worked on Fukua jump cancels so now I can do a air fireball into j.mk instead of j.lk (so that's cool....)

Last thing I need to work on is comboing off a cerecopter punish (cause my god you can punish everything with that thing especially BB brass knuckle)

Oh and peacock........ The match is decided in the first five seconds..... (I hate this match up)

Soooo..... After playing offline I have discovered some things I need to work on:

1. I don't know how to play Val..... (thank you deer for helping me realize that 0_0)
2. I don't know any resets for Bella......... (thanks Uzumaki for showing me I need help with this one)
3. I need to make more noise with my controller when I play (it makes people think I'm mashing when I'm really not 0_o)
4. I need a select button (......freggin stock dreamcast stick)
5. Don't drink and skullgirls kids........
6. "Weeabos go to Japan and are like Where are all the subtitles?" (big issue trust me)

oh this too:
x0DhNtL.jpg

for bella, learn the joys of cMK for resets.

It's a shame offline matches aren't something that can occur for someone on a regular basis. Playing offline against someone who's experienced feels great in comparison to online matches from what I played. For one, your sitting right next to each other, so advice is fluent and easy going. Second, the elimination of any lag for execution purposes, obviously. It's just a shame there may not be a close scene for everyone to get into for improvement. Then again, that's the advantage of online play, reach.

Thanks Mr.Peck for the long set today. I now know how to fight filia. watch for the j.mp and when you see that either shes going for a reset on the opposite side or shes going for a grab (I dont think I ever saw him go for a reset in front of me). The only problem now is figuring out if I block high or low and I think the only way to figure that out is to wait till she hits the ground to block low.

Quick question about dealing with lag:
What's the best way to minimize the GGPO lag that leads to bad reads (I base most of my game on punishing whiffed moves so as soon as I see the opponent do something I react)

Other general questions: I see a lot of peacocks going for bomb drop then grab. Is this a setup?
When fighting Bella's I have noticed that sometimes kinouchi resets and sometimes it doesn't. How can you tell when it does and doesn't?
Would learning Filia resets help me fight against Filia more efficiently?

These are probally really obvious questions but I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else