• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

...Josh's struggle to not suck...

So reality has set in....... I suck and should not be helping people with anything on this game....
So........ New plan....... I'm going rurouni for a while.... I need to rethink my approach at this whole social forum thing. I apologize for all the stuff I have said and done up to this point.......... I'm getting angry at myself for not being good enough and it's not healthy or productive for this community

Here's the set that I played with you today

I'll bitch and moan about my own problems in my own thread, but some things to note:

• You're button happy. A lot of the time my hits were counterhits. You just keep pressing buttons in all the situations I'm not afraid to commit to reversals. Start of the round? I'm fishing for you to push something many rounds with the Val's s.hp and win a combo a bunch of times. You called pillar? You press a button too late and get counter hit. You called drill assist? You run in and eat a happy bday from beat extend assist. Which leads to another thing.
  • Cover your assists. Don't put your assists in positions where they can get seriously punished (calling when you've backed off and are practically fullscreen away), and don't put your point under the risk of eating a happy bday. Throw a fireball, pushblock, do whatever just to stop me from hitting the assist.
  • When doing a blockstring that leads into drill assist, cancel your normals into something that gives you time to keep pressure. Untested speculation: Filia- fake drill, Parasoul- Napalm shot
  • You still have a problem with random supers.
  • The only times you chucked plasma with fukua was when you were above me in a blockstring or random supered. The rest were occasional shadows, which were mostly used in blockstrings too. I know you like to RTSD but you're playing the Fukuma pallette. Akuma this shit. Chuck plasma. and shadows.
  • Dude snap my big band. It's ass and it's the assist that gave you problems.
  • Not really afraid of your Parasoul. No overheads or throws. Not agreeing with sweep xx pillar either. I'd agree with sweep xx shot tho.
  • Your filia either. Never had to deal with instant overheads or IAD crossup j.hk. Also your ground throws weren't cancelled into gregor but your air ones were, which should be cancelled into L air ball adc combo. What up with that?
  • Couple of times you punished my things with fukua's lvl3 instead of going for CH combos. Was it worth it?

Last edited:
He is rather impressive isn't he. (Love your music choices btw)

Edited my incomplete thought in the second bullet into the third bullet.

^Wow, wish I had someone I knew who could summarize my fights like this
Dunno if you have a training diary but if you can record your matches (or play someone who can) and upload them I'm sure someone will analyze it if you ask.

He is rather impressive isn't he. (Love your music choices btw)
Personally I think I could have done better but thanks! Music is an entire playlist of Caro Emerald.

So after taking 3 days off from this forum this is what I've been working on:
*Resets with every one on my team (especially filia)
*Learning to fight against Double
*Learning to use assists to punish opponent and cover my moves
*Working on filia (finally understand when to ADC in the the BNB combo in the first air string....)
*Picked up a new team (Filia/Fukua/Parasol)
*Played a lot of good players and figured out when they are gonna do resets, alpha counter, and bait me
*Worked on some baits for my team
*Decided on some colors and assist options
*Learned how to play less rush down with Fukua
*Most of all calming down and trying to outsmart my opponent rather then playing with blind rage

Stuff I need to practice:
*Combos for parasol other then the flow charted ones
*Alpha counter combos (I alpha counter now I just need to combo after it)
*Better high low game with parasol
*More practice with high level opponents

Reactions: mcpeanuts
So after messing around with Filia some more I've found some really good resets. I'm sure they've already been discovered but whatever I guess.

Things I absolutely need help with is someone to teach me parasol stuff cause I have no idea how to utilize tears at all.

I need help with my movements with Filia (I only know how to go in one direction...straight). My combos are good and I'm in the process of creating new ones that are higher damaging then the current ones

So today the things I have worked on:
*Fukua Filia crossups with updo and Hdrill
*punishing with assists
*learning optimized filia corner combos
*practicing with parasol more (still gonna need help with setups and stuff)
*Playing a lot of people O.O

Stuff I still need to do:
*Play more peacocks!!!!! (my team kind of sucks at far range)
*Learn Painwheel, Eliza, Peacock, and suqig
*Work on my execution some more (always need to work on this..)
*Play more!

Had my first money match... Lost terribly
Ggs @cloudKing211 hope you enjoy squig :P

Luna this some nasty ass coffee I hate you so much but the pussy game ridiculous....
But seriously Luna your next on my list of people I need to beat O.O

so worked on a few things today:
*developed a new filia combo (yay for me...)
*learned some squigly stuff from @mcpeanuts thanks man
*played a long set with @worldjem ggs as always (just wish the connection was better...)
*practiced parasol some more
*played a bunch of games with @guitalex2007 learned alot about the peacock match up
*played some games with @Dreamepitaph and learned why fortune is a pussy (that's a joke >.>)
*played a set with the king of puff and learned how obnoxious bomber is (next time I'm snapping that beast in...)

Stuff I still have to do (this must be so boring to read every time I put this...... -_-)
*double snap combos
*more parasol stuff
*get better internet.....
*learn the rest of the cast
*practice the advanced filia tech so I can utilize it in battle
*come up with some more fukua stuff (I've got a bunch of secrets o.o)
*practice against zoning cause I still can't figure out how to deal with that....

And here's a little motivational song for you :)

Reactions: mcpeanuts
So I have a question about Filia. How do I become more deceptive in my movement and approaches?
I'm having a lot of trouble establishing the best ways to get in. With Fukua it's easy throw a shadow run in attack. With Filia I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated :)

Calling @Pikmario . What I've seen, erratic movements helps.

So I have a question about Filia. How do I become more deceptive in my movement and approaches?
I'm having a lot of trouble establishing the best ways to get in. With Fukua it's easy throw a shadow run in attack. With Filia I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated :)
I have no idea, I never figured this out and then I dropped the character. Sonicfox's advice was to try to whiff punish things.

Broseidon's got the right idea. Filia can very quickly change which side of you she is on and whether or not she's in the air. Some gross things she can do:

IAD > j.LK. Ungodly fast overhead.
IAD > air grab (whiff). Fast fall for faking out an overhead into a low/grab.
Dash jump crossup > back dash > j.Anything. This is ambiguous as shit. I almost never know which side I hit on when I do this.
IAD > j.HK. Crosses up depending on your distance and the height of your opponent, though currently this is killed in the Beta, I think.
low-height j.MP/j.MK > j.HP (whiff). Another fast fall, now with added hitstop.

Basically the goal is to make your opponent think he needs to block X direction, then quickly be anywhere that isn't that direction to exploit that.

Hello! I'm not sure whether you know these tips or not but I thought I'd share a few humble observations I found with the time I spent with Filia.

• When it comes to getting within range of your opponent, you can wave-dash with Filia using your stick/D-pad. I've read up on being able to do wave-dashing using two punch buttons + d/b, but I found the movement with this method to be much slower than if I had just used my left hand. The notation I used was f,f (first dash) QCF (second dash) QCF,f (third), QCF, f (fourth)... and so on. It's rhythm based just like the two punch method, however I never had to worry about a mis-input giving me a random jab or a Ringlet or even worse, an Updu. Another reason I preferred this method was because, as I mention earlier, the movement is much faster than doing the two punch method. When doing the QCF motions, you can always stop at d/f to put on the brakes and switch immediately to d/b to block if you can visually see an assist or a reversal coming in response to your advancement. you can also stop at d/b and then immediately input a command for an IAD as well. Lastly, you can also do f,f, d/b, b to create a "feint" that gives you a dash, followed by a back dash with a built-in d/b command for defense.

• This one applies mostly to Fukua, but Filia benefits from it as well. You can back dash cancel with Filia and Fukua to create space and generate whiffs from your opponent to punish. The command is similar to a Korean Back Dash from Tekken: b,b (first backdash) QCB (second) QCB, b (third) CQB, b (fourth)... and so on. Filia can use this to create space and cause an attack from the opponent to whiff. Whenever I saw a whiff, I immediately performed an input for an IAD and punished with the appropriate air normal. This method also has built-in defense with the QCB commands, since you can always hold d/b to defend. For Fukua, she can visually confirm a whiff and try to punish with a shadow. Because you're doing these QCB commands, if you see a whiff all you have to do is input the appropriate kick button and you'll get your shadow. If it hits, you can confirm into a combo; if it gets blocked, you can begin your approach or continue to turtle. By doing this, you can train your opponent to respect your back dashes since the movement itself represents a l/m/h shadow. To be extra cheap, you can also call an assist and do a m/shadow about the same time by inputting mk+lp during the back-dashes; depending on the assist and team composition, this can also be used to get your opponent to respect your movement.

Hope I helped you in some way. I enjoy reading your diary!

Last edited:
Reactions: Broseidon Rex
@YussaTampon YO THIS IS A THING?!?!? O.O
I have literally never heard of this and if at all possible could I see a demonstration of this method please? If this is actually a thing many things are gonna change with my play style.
1. You are never going to hit my Fukua EVER cause I'm gonna be back dashing lk shadow ,cr.hp, mp hadouken, BFF all day
2. The Kara setups are going to be out of this world!
3. I'm gonna be baiting everything 0.0
4. This is rad as hell O.O

@Pikmario can I add you on steam so you can help me out on solo Filia (I'll show you some Fukua set ups in exchange >.>)

P.S. I'm glad you like reading my thoughts and plans cause I think it's wicked boring :P

Sure, go ahead and add me.

@YussaTampon YO THIS IS A THING?!?!? O.O
I have literally never heard of this and if at all possible could I see a demonstration of this method please? If this is actually a thing many things are gonna change with my play style.

I have no way to record footage from my TV, but I'm sure someone can record themselves in practice mode performing these actions and can make a detailed video about it. The commands are strict on the left hand but anyone can do it.

so tried it out and its kind of difficult.... I'm gonna practice it all night till I can utilize it but from what I have tested I like what I see

so after learning the new method of wavedashing it's kind of useful I'm not gonna be using it online though because it requires really good reads. Unfortunately I could not find any burst baits with this :(

So after looking at other Filia's I now know what mine lacks resets... I only have 3 and this is supposed to be the most reset heavy character in the game. So I need to learn as many resets as I can for Filia

Next my Fukua lacks something.... I've fallen into the mindless trope of Fukua players I don't know when it happened but I forgot all my setups and how to play this character like a champ... so I need to relearn Fukua resets, baits, and more combos cause mine is just not cutting it anymore and people are developing counter measures to it....

so after doing some digging around on this forum I have found the answer!!! @Pikmario next time I see you I'm gonna hug you cause that reset thing you posted GOD LIKE!!!!!!! I plan on learning all of those so I can be a crazy Filia >.>

oh Happy new year players here's a video for you guys o.o

nother recording.

Dunno what to say really. Filia neutral needs work. You still only IAD j.hp to get in. At one point I was just doing upback j.hk with Val and getting so many counter hits.
Still have a problem with random supers.
Pretty predictable when you're gonna reversal tag/super.
Parasoul never Pillar'd my jump ins despite how often the assist does.

1:50 you pbgc'd the c.mk. good. Do it faster and much earlier tho. like pushblock the first or second hit. Or better yet just pop in training mode and find out what pbgc reversals your characters can get out of that situation. Set the dummy to c.lk c.mk s.hp blockstring and find some punishes. Do the same against Eliza. c.lk c.mk s.hp(x2) xx summon divekick. You should be able to reversal grab Eliza before Horus's foot meets your face, and pbgc anything after her c.lk.

So after practicing pbgc I have figured out the timing to pbgc all of the typical bnb combos of almost the entire cast into updo and hdrill

So after much thought things I would like to do is run serious training sessions with people to develop characters further testing everything from cross ups to character specific tech. If someone would be willing to do this that would be dope cause solo training is really boring and I can't test everything that I want (cause I don't know everything -_-)

So no jokes aside I don't know how to play against Eliza, painwheel, double, squiggly, or peacock....

Eliza: every time I try to punish I get hit by something and I don't know why... Her normals give me problems with just how fast the active frames come out and stay out. And above all her combos never seem to end... Where are the reset points!!

Painwheel: so after looking up her combos and what nots she seems to relie on j.hk and j.hp to get in most of the time she's literally a huge active hit box that I can't seem to punish effectively

Double: the rage I experience when fighting this character.... Once again huge active hot boxes and resets out the ass...

Squiggly: fuck your stancel high/low/throw game...I can't seem to grasp this character either..

Peacock: why is zoning so hard to deal with?

I don't know how every one else has learned to deal with each character but besides learning all of them I'm stumped.... Any suggestions?

And if someone tells me stop random supers I'm gonna give you this face 0.o (their reads most of the time)

annoying words
Squigly: rush her down. don't let her get a charge. but she will. Divekick is a mid so you block however you please. just make sure you pushblock.
Once she has meter you cannot: dash, press lp, lk, mk, hp, hk, airdash. you cannot press ANY button do you understand mr. Shinku hadouken?

Eliza: PBGC her predictable blockstrings. you can mash if she calls horus and get something out of it. as of right now she's difficult to deal with and is easy to use so i don't know how to accurately combat her other than make her come to you as fukua and then hit her with j lp into j hk if she tries j.mk

Less annoying words :P
Yeah you right. It's just the fear of running squig down and getting got in the stancel garbage... IT SCARY... And yeah I've heard about pbgcing Eliza (I just suck -_-)

And mr.shinku I like it!!!

So after practicing pbgc I have figured out the timing to pbgc all of the typical bnb combos of almost the entire cast into updo and hdrill

And yeah I've heard about pbgcing Eliza (I just suck -_-)

Git Gud when?

@joshb911 what the fuck dude. DO YOU EVEN PLAY GAME?
@Fedora_Ninja

TEACH HIM HOW TO PLAY GAME!
what's this game you speak of I thought this was a social experiment with buttons 0.0 (FUCK)
(but seriously I know I know.........) It's not that I hate you I just really don't like you right now...

@Fedora_Ninja Fuck your observations -_-

Hey, just saw this thread and had no idea you were already around.

You're a neat player and I think you'll do well if you (hear me out) start focusing on some defensives. They're by and far the harshest and least satisfying part of learning to get good, but even something as simple as grinding Millia Blocker for 10 minutes, playing a really simple game like Super Turbo and just generally having the dummy recordings do crazy things to you with random playback goes a very long way!

Do not despair, and you will get good, my friend! It took me QUITE a while to get as decent as I am. <3

gon' follow this thread too.

EDIT: This isn't implying your bad. everyone is good. I just now you got the potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zero8teen(DG)
Bunch of awesome compliments

Thanks yo!!!!
I would love to play ST but none of my friends play and every time I try to play on GGPO (or other similar programs) the game runs like ass making my reaction based mindset much harder to pull off....
But to put it in perspective I started fighting games playing ST then moved to 3S so that's where all my fundamentals and tendencies come from.
Yeah it's an excuse but what ever.
#KenOverEryThang!

so after trying that Millia thing I averaged 27.9 frames have no idea if that's good or not.....