• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

Beck would make an awesome SG guest character. Both games are Capcom-esque games made independent of Capcom.
Oh Capcom won't do it? We can do it better without them lol.

It's called building hype.

If there's one thing Capcom's convinced themselves of it's that they can do horrible things with their franchises and people will still come back for more, withdrawing Megaman for a long time just ensures that they'll get more sales when they release the next installment. I doubt they saw something on the scale of MN9 coming but it'll either serve to help them or strongly cripple them. It really depends on what MN9 does differently to classic Megaman; if it changes a lot then Capcom will be able to release classic Megaman style games and rake in the bucks, otherwise they'll have no choice but to move away from the classic style again.

If there's one thing Capcom's convinced themselves of it's that they can do horrible things with their franchises and people will still come back for more, withdrawing Megaman for a long time just ensures that they'll get more sales when they release the next installment. I doubt they saw something on the scale of MN9 coming but it'll either serve to help them or strongly cripple them. It really depends on what MN9 does differently to classic Megaman; if it changes a lot then Capcom will be able to release classic Megaman style games and rake in the bucks, otherwise they'll have no choice but to move away from the classic style again.

After Mighty No 9 it'd take a lot for me to ever want to play any new Megaman games. I mean, if they ever decide to go back to ML3 I'd buy that in an instant, but other than that I just wouldn't want to buy anything from Capcom unless it was really, really good. Then again 1 person does not determine the idiocy of a fanbase, you're definitely right in saying that the majority of people will gladly keep forking over money to Capcom for crap.

I want to see Mighty No. 9 surpass Rockman as a franchise in general, it has all the structure there to improve on the gameplay and add another layer of depth to the design.

Best example are the way his powers are made, powers in Megaman are for the most part unneeded fluff that don't change the way you play and just give the option of dispatching bosses faster, however Beck's forms will actually be used to solve stages, change his very mechanics, giving a real different feeling how to go about clearing a stage. Sure there were a few things like freezing the lasers in Quickman's stage, but these kind of things are very sparse.

When a boss is defeated by these new forms, I want to feel like "Oh that makes sense, I pulled off his shield with one form, and smashed his weak point with the hammer form" rather than "Alien Wily is weak to bubbles, I dunno"

These are some of the real reasons I'm excited for MN9, its both what made the games of old good but with the evolution of new, and modern graphical power.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs

I do kind of like this perspective. MN9 seems like it could help Capcom out with its business decisions. I still hope they dont abandon their new IPs like DD for the sake of pleasing nostalgia though.

After Mighty No 9 it'd take a lot for me to ever want to play any new Megaman games. I mean, if they ever decide to go back to ML3 I'd buy that in an instant, but other than that I just wouldn't want to buy anything from Capcom unless it was really, really good. Then again 1 person does not determine the idiocy of a fanbase, you're definitely right in saying that the majority of people will gladly keep forking over money to Capcom for crap.
I think you misunderstood slightly, Capcom isn't releasing solely crap games. Street Fighter 4 is actually very good. The issue is that they have far more of a focus on making money than consumer satisfaction which, where they making any other games, would have led them to bankruptcy in no time flat. Unfortunately they are making quality fighting games and instalments in the (now lacking) Megaman series, among other titles (such as Okami and Okamiden) that aren't bad, and this means people don't really have any choice but to support them if they want more good fighting games (a situation that could have several paragraphs written detailing why, despite Capcom's ethics, this isn't ridiculous for fans to think and act upon).

The core issue is that they know they can get away with anything. As you said, even after MN9 coming out and all the faggotry Capcom has pulled over the years, you'd still buy MML3 in an instant. You can't tell them "you suck" then buy their stuff. It's like telling someone you hate them while compassionately embracing them, in other words contradictory. If you don't like what Capcom does, vote with your wallet. If they don't change their ways and have to quit then a lot of the staff will be freed from contracts and love of IPs, and a new publisher can pick them up so they can have their talents put to work.

My friend is hoping there'll be X & Zero expies.
Y and One.
:p

Heh heh.

I want to see Mighty No. 9 surpass Rockman as a franchise in general, it has all the structure there to improve on the gameplay and add another layer of depth to the design.

Best example are the way his powers are made, powers in Megaman are for the most part unneeded fluff that don't change the way you play and just give the option of dispatching bosses faster, however Beck's forms will actually be used to solve stages, change his very mechanics, giving a real different feeling how to go about clearing a stage. Sure there were a few things like freezing the lasers in Quickman's stage, but these kind of things are very sparse.

When a boss is defeated by these new forms, I want to feel like "Oh that makes sense, I pulled off his shield with one form, and smashed his weak point with the hammer form" rather than "Alien Wily is weak to bubbles, I dunno"

These are some of the real reasons I'm excited for MN9, its both what made the games of old good but with the evolution of new, and modern graphical power.

^This. I look forward to what Beck's forms will give us in getting around levels easier, solving puzzles, etc. besides just fighting bosses.

Reactions: DARKNESSxEAGLE
The core issue is that they know they can get away with anything. As you said, even after MN9 coming out and all the faggotry Capcom has pulled over the years, you'd still buy MML3 in an instant. You can't tell them "you suck" then buy their stuff. It's like telling someone you hate them while compassionately embracing them, in other words contradictory. If you don't like what Capcom does, vote with your wallet. If they don't change their ways and have to quit then a lot of the staff will be freed from contracts and love of IPs, and a new publisher can pick them up so they can have their talents put to work.

About that...
According to GameIndustry, Capcom has a total of $152 million dollars in the bank.To those who may not be so knowledgeable when it comes to the financials of these gaming companies, that is not a lot of money by any means. That’s actually a dangerously minuscule amount. To put things into perspective, Nintendo made roughly more than this in their 3 months alone. This leads to Capcom making huge changes for this upcoming gen, including an even bigger focus on DLC than before.

Seems pretty safe to say that people are doing just that and Capcom is getting the exact opposite message.

You're right, Alien Wily was just a hologram, and the bubbles screwed up the machine he was using.

Just in case no one noticed: we've hit 2,000,000! Boss Rush mode, yeah! I love these. Especially The Arena and The True Arena in Kirby Super Star Ultra.

Reactions: Lunerstep
I think you misunderstood slightly, Capcom isn't releasing solely crap games. Street Fighter 4 is actually very good. The issue is that they have far more of a focus on making money than consumer satisfaction which, where they making any other games, would have led them to bankruptcy in no time flat. Unfortunately they are making quality fighting games and instalments in the (now lacking) Megaman series, among other titles (such as Okami and Okamiden) that aren't bad, and this means people don't really have any choice but to support them if they want more good fighting games (a situation that could have several paragraphs written detailing why, despite Capcom's ethics, this isn't ridiculous for fans to think and act upon).

Well I was referring solely to the Megaman franchise. I don't hate Capcom enough to boycott their products all together, but if Mighty No 9 does turn out to be a better Megaman, I see no reason to return to Megaman(excluding old megaman games of course). As for Legends 3, yes that's me being a dumb consumer, but I want it so bad I'm willing to be a dumb consumer for it. Besides, it's not like Mighty No 9 is a suitable substitute for the Megaman Legends game, rather for the classics/X series.

this means people don't really have any choice but to support them if they want more good fighting games
There are plenty of other companies making good fighting games they could support! Namco, SNK, Arc System Works, Sega, I just don't like that Capcom is seen as the be all end all.

The age of pretty looking games is ending. We can expect quality again.

I'm pretty excited about Mighty No. 9, but it'll be hard for me to leave Megaman completely behind. My attachment is mainly to the X/Zero series, which I still think has a lot of untapped story potential. A solid looking X sequel (not an FPS) is one of the few things that could make me a real believer in Capcom again.

So anyway, back to Mighty 9, do you guys have any preferences on Call's designs so far?
b733fef2a95df4f3de2a9074b4a043cf_large.jpg
While the "Roll-esque" design is cute and familiar, I hope they go with something fresher. I think a combination of ideas from the Pink and Green haired designs could be cool, especially the little Backpack Robot. I also hope she ends up as a more active character than Roll was.

I'm not sure if all the designs given are meant to be one or various characters, mostly cause the pink haired design resembles the pink haired girl from legends. If only the blonde is meant to be Call, I'm liking the left side over the right. And I prefer her with the bow, than without.
If they all could be Call, then I want the girl in the bottom right.

I like the first two on the top left and the last one at the bottom right. ^^

The whole left side is top tier. If they want to reminisce Roll, pick the very first one(dat motorcycle). Want something new? Pink haired badass next to her (dat backpack).

I'm not sure if all the designs given are meant to be one or various characters, mostly cause the pink haired design resembles the pink haired girl from legends.
I don't think they've decided on Call's general appearance yet, so these are all still potential designs for her. Some of the artists worked on Legends, so they probably wanted to reuse a few of Aero's concepts on purpose.

I'm not too keen on the bottom right designs myself. They're not bad, but I think they feel a bit too tame, especially when paired up with Beck. If MN9's world is filled with robots though, maybe all of these designs will find a place somewhere.

I really like the blonde design on the motorcycle, but considering she's literally a Roll expy, I hesitate to vote for that one. Personally, I hope that when they do the voting, they give us a little bio for her, so I can pick the design that best fits her personality.

I really like the blonde design on the motorcycle, but considering she's literally a Roll expy, I hesitate to vote for that one. Personally, I hope that when they do the voting, they give us a little bio for her, so I can pick the design that best fits her personality.
I really hope that's the one we get too.

the one below the green desingn is sufficiently original and looks like it could kick some ass...

A lady boss in the first game, and dark-skinned too?! Shocking!!!

No. 1's probably my favorite so far, but I'm really liking where these designs are going.

No. 3's design is probably my favorite so far. I always thought it was a shame that Splash Woman was the only female RM, I would've loved to have seen more. I wonder if 4, 7 or 8 will also be female.

I just think it's weird that some people liked the initial design with the plug headband (the one on the left) so much more. It just looks so generic and boring compared to the final design.

Congrats to everyone. It's now reached it's goal for PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U versions.

Alright! Next stop Challenge Mode. Though the next one I'm really looking forward to is that online co-op goal.

Last edited:
I like the green call, but then again I like green so I may be biased. Also, the character designs do not include color schemes, those will be voted on separately. I wanna beck this game so bad! I hope I get a really cool number!

I just think it's weird that some people liked the initial design with the plug headband (the one on the left) so much more. It just looks so generic and boring compared to the final design.
Just me or the one on the left looks like Layer from the MMX games? Meanwhile, the one on the right looks like the lovechild of Peacock and Brain Drain. Good thing the final design went for something much better in all aspects.

Speaking of her final design...
tumblr_mtazzuG2TY1s2yr2bo1_1280.jpg

Is it? I personally never made the connection.

By Epic Tones

I wonder if Pink Call was intentionally similar to Aero from Legends 3?

I like how every group that leaves Capcom for another company is always super-salt about it. There's always at least one character that very VERY strongly resembles their Capcom counterpart in some way.
Also all of the concept designs for call look like another megaman character except like 1.