• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mighty No. 9

I never really liked the wall cling mechanic in the X series, kinda cheapened the game in my opinion and made platforming way too easy.

Man, Mighty No. 7 looks so badass. It's like a freaking ninja reincarnation of Zero. I hope it gets crazy ninja teleports and/or sick wall jump attacks.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Hooray for Mighty No. A!

I never really liked the wall cling mechanic in the X series, kinda cheapened the game in my opinion and made platforming way too easy.

IMO that was more of a problem with the level design than the mechanic. They didn't have enough stuff pushing you forward, so it became the best idea to kinda take your time and snipe stuff, which was a bit contradictory to how much fun it was to move super fast in those games. The same was true for the classic Mega Man series, but it was less noticeable imo because it was slower paced already and didn't have as many fun movement mechanics..

Also the level designs felt easier to me overall, they rare brought out as many instant death traps, usually saving those for the very end of the game. Only stages I can think of that topped classic Mega Man in brutality were probably the Zero/Sigma stages in X5 and the regenerating spike blocks in ZxA. *edit* oh and Craft's final stage from Mega Man Zero 4, holy heck.

I think overall the series in general could have used more Contra/ghouls and ghosts-esque segments with randomly spawning enemies coming from both sides of the screen, encouraging you to keep a move on. Too much emphasis on static enemies as obstacles blocking your path. But that's just my analysis of the level design.

Last edited:
Anybody else notice Mighty no. 7 having Scissor Blades?
No?
Just me?
DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAAAAYYYY...

Yeah, I doubt they're going to go full MMX style with the gameplay, so if wall-climbing is implemented, most likely it'll just be an ability Beck picks up from certain enemies. I really hope they keep that "reverse-jump-into-downward-shot" skill they showed though, because I imagine some clever challenges could be built around that. So far I like how snappy the action looks, and the mobility options seem pretty good.

It was also neat to see a little of how the Absorbed abilties will work. Right now it looks like powers can be stacked, but I wonder if you'll be able to lock certain ones that you don't want changed. Since the "Absorption Dash" seems critical for movement, it might suck to lose a certain ability because you had to dash through an enemy for a wide jump.

Mighty No. 9 Special interview with Manami Matsumae

Reactions: CapnWTF
Mighty No. 9: Inafune Draws - Humanoid Robot Enemy -

Mighty No. 9’s grunt enemies are currently in the process of being designed, and recently, Keiji Inafune sketched one himself. Inafune made the sketch after being presented with a monster design that he felt would look better different. You can see a comparison of the original design and Inafune’s modified idea below.

849a6a74202945e14f9955c80aa26408_large.jpg
1e79184d6295b54f3508585737d4ac1d_large.jpg

The design on the top is the original. Inafune created the sketch you see in the video above, and based on it, Inti Creates developed the modified on the bottom. These were the three suggestions Inafune provided:

- Even if it’s humanoid, it’s still a robot; the less human-like, the better.
- Instead of holding a gun and shield in a pair of hands, let’s have the shield attach to its back…
- When protecting itself, the body rotates around and the shield faces front.
- The design should have functionality like this in mind.​

I like the rotation, but I actually think it looks quirkier with two eyes instead of one.

MN9-Gameplay_05-29-14.jpg

Comcept has released a new work-in-progress gameplay video of Mighty No. 9, showing several stages from its Inti Creates-developed Mega Man successor.

Mighty No. 9: Work-in-Progress Gameplay Footage

Mighty No. 9 is due out in Spring 2015.​

MN9-Gameplay_05-29-14.jpg

Comcept has released a new work-in-progress gameplay video of Mighty No. 9, showing several stages from its Inti Creates-developed Mega Man successor.

Mighty No. 9: Work-in-Progress Gameplay Footage

Mighty No. 9 is due out in Spring 2015.​

I'm glad Beck doesnt have a voice

Or Im certain we would have heard "Absorption Dash-Abso-Absorpti-Ab-Das-Absorption Dash" through that whole video. It's looking real sexy right now, can't wait for the finished product.

Reactions: KaboomKid
It looks alright, so far. Nothing groundbreaking but alright.

Reactions: blueberrymilk
Hoping more improvements within the horizon because things are looking rough around the edges. Not bad for "in progress" type footage though.

you're right...he needs to be able to Wavedash.
MIIIIIKE!

Yeah, it's impressive how far along the game looks since the last video. At this pace, it seems like they'll have plenty of time to polish things up before their current release window. The stages look kinda simple right now, but with Inticreates on board, I'm really not that concerned about how they'll eventually turn out. As long as Inafune doesn't get cold feet about the overall difficulty he described, they should have plenty of interesting things to throw at us in the final game.

Speaking of which, I noticed in the video that they added a timer to Beck's absorbed abilities, so that's an interesting change. Hopefully they're forming a pretty solid idea of how they want to handle the Absorption feature, so they can give us some more details soon.

Btw, did anyone do the survey for the little robot guy? None of the names jumped out at me, but I thought "Patch" was alright. I kinda hope "Rally" doesn't win.

I voted "Parxel" and blue and orange. I think Parxel's a cute name. :3

Big news from Anime Expo today: Comcept is starting a separate PayPal "slacker backer" campaign in order to get more miscellaneous features into the game. The first stretch goal: FULL ENGLISH VOICE ACTING, at $100,000. There are three separate digital-only tiers for donating: a simple pre-order for $23, a bundle of the game, a retro manual, an art book/strategy guide and a soundtrack for $50, and a bundle containing all of the above plus access to the Steam Early Access beta for $80. Also announced is the possibility of an animated series by Digital Frontier, the guys who did motion capture and CG work for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Here's a teaser that premiered today:

They're aiming to put it out in Q2 2016 and there will be more info on Mighty No. 9's website.

I saw that earlier.....I'm not sure what to feel. On one hand it's extra stuff that's not covered in the original drive and the tiers are more expensive so it doesn't devalue the original backers pledges. But it still begs the question why. Sure it adds to the game, but is it worth the image you're creating for yourself? I don't really buy the "you guys wanted to give even more or missed out" schtick but at the same time I don't feel like this is a scam either. They're milking us a bit too hard...

Yeah it does feel kind of reflexively off-putting, right? I can definitely see now why Lab Zero wants to avoid doing it again. Feel especially weird since they haven't even released a product yet.

Well, they were pretty specific on that regard: the extra money is for enhancing the product. That means they have the money to deliver what they promised, and that's what counts. They will not go beast fury on us and say that they can't finish the game without a second campaign

I think it's a pretty cool idea, considering all this stuff is going to be adding new stuff to the game, as opposed to being an example of shoddy budgeting. I kind of see how it looks like a blatant cashgrab (and by extension, why LabZero would never want to try anything like this), but honestly, they do seem to be delivering on common requests from the backer forums, which is pretty cool.

I'd definitely love to see English voice acting in this game and I'm holding out hope for a "full Call campaign" stretch goal. I might just end up buying a gift copy of the game for a friend who missed out on the backing, if I can scrounge up the funds.

Reactions: Shockdingo
From what I been seeing this news been receiving mixed results everywhere. I can see why Lab 0 wanted to avoid the "Your just being greedy now" label considering this was the same game that pretty much everyone was hyped and supportive for.

That said this will be funded easily even if 50% of the past funders back out and Comcept probably wanted to test how generous the fan-base is at throwing them money for the superficial fluff. IMO if another one was gonna happen they should have waited until the core game + funded stretch-goals from the last crowd-funding was completed before they asked for even more money to reduce the backlash.

From what I been seeing this news been receiving mixed results everywhere. I can see why Lab 0 wanted to avoid the "Your just being greedy now" label considering this was the same game that pretty much everyone was hyped and supportive for.

That said this will be funded easily even if 50% of the past funders back out and Comcept probably wanted to test how generous the fan-base is at throwing them money for the superficial fluff. IMO if another one was gonna happen they should have waited until the core game + funded stretch-goals from the last crowd-funding was completed before they asked for even more money to reduce the backlash.

Ehh.

Difference, to me, between "money to continue the game you've released" and "double dipping back in while you're still actually making the game you haven't released yet."

So I don't see the Lab Zero parallel much. Really big difference when they have an existing product you want to keep expanding versus "further improvements when we have no finished product yet." This is less Skullgirls and more Beast's Fury, personally, with the difference that I actually trust Inafune to deliver an awesome product in the end.

They probably decided to try for voice acting only after they got approached for the animated series, so it could share voice actors. I can't fault them too much on that, though I get why others do.

I see it as more of a post-campaign leaving the kickstarter up thing just in case you give us more money. Which I'm okay with honestly. As long as they don't pull a Broken Age and say "golly where did I put that 4 million? Could you lend me a couple more?"
On the other hand, the writing on that trailer for the animated series was atrocious. I was excited for it until I watched that thing. I kept expecting a line that said "from the people who brought you pacman: the ghostly adventures" or something.

On the other hand, the writing on that trailer for the animated series was atrocious. I was excited for it until I watched that thing. I kept expecting a line that said "from the people who brought you pacman: the ghostly adventures" or something.
I'm glad I was not the only one who felt that way. I really didn't enjoy that trailer.

but will it have Beck defending President Lincoln

I'm glad I was not the only one who felt that way. I really didn't enjoy that trailer.

Same here. I feel bad for it since I love MN9, but that trailer was very off-putting.

Yeah the trailer looked bad. Heard it will be aimed at ages 4-11 demographic too.