• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

USA NorCal/SF Bay Area Skullgirls

Hey, SG will be played on what console? I have a good laptop that can run it (No streaming, though) so if I can go I'll bring it.

Oh whoops. That's important info I left out. We're bringing our laptops. If you can confirm to bring yours then that would be great. @Dolfinh should be bringing his and I might bring mine if I can for sure get a ride. So 2 or 3 between us all would be great.

Let me see if it's okay with my parents to go, I should be in the clear but I'm just making sure so they don't pull a fast one on me.

Great job finding something!
Milpitas GL is where I went for many years since I grew up in Fremont. I played tons of fighting games there dating back to X-Men:COTA. Haven't been there in years, but visit Fremont most weekends. I play SG on PS3 though, and don't have a laptop or stick. I'm also not a late-night person & am not sure I can make it.

Looks like they have it every Fri., though. Fight Night in Oakland stopped when the guy running it left the MADE. A new person would have to take over. Not sure if I'm ready to step up for that.

Okay, so I got a maybe. I need to know if anyone else is going so I don't show up and be a complete loner.

I can commit to showing up, but not much else. Last time I played seriously, Squigly was just pencil squiggles.

Oh this thread is alive.

Well yeah, then hopefully you can make it to this. Beamsprouts has to sit this one out unless he gets his shift covered by tomorrow, unfortunately.

Never played a fighting game on a PC or laptop before. Since I don't have one or a fight stick maybe I can't enter?
Now I wish SG would get an arcade release like Japan. It'd fit right in at Golfland. For anyone on PS3 like Bit_Strife, OK if I send an invite sometime for online play this weekend? Might have green ping. :) Thanks.

If you have a USB cable you can connect the PS3 controller to the game and play. As long as motion joy isn't being a pain. I got a PS3 friend who plays so I'll try to hook you up.

So the maybe is becoming more of a maybehopefullyDadget'shomeontime type of thing, I'll still pester him into taking me.
Any word on being able to attend, @Bit_Strife ?

Never played a fighting game on a PC or laptop before. Since I don't have one or a fight stick maybe I can't enter?
Now I wish SG would get an arcade release like Japan. It'd fit right in at Golfland. For anyone on PS3 like Bit_Strife, OK if I send an invite sometime for online play this weekend? Might have green ping. :) Thanks.
Whatever device you have, as long as it is USB you will be able to enter with it.

If you're just on a ps3 controller of some sort shouldn't be any problem. I think Squash is bringing a PS3 setup anyway.

I need a ride still it seems. But there are people going for SG that aren't me. Sadly not the whole crew, though.

Damn, hope I can make it as well. The event starts right as my father get's off from work. Which is usually when we have to get him at the airport.

We're only doing casuals so you don't have to be there at a specific time. As long as you get there with enough time to play people.

Hopefully. Not having your license really sucks, otherwise I'd drive myself.

Pretty sure I got a ride now. Aw yeah. Gonna get one of those milkshakes! Oh and I guess play SG.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll bring a PS3 pad if I can go. Just gotta find out if I can make it there now.
If not, maybe this is a recurring event...
Enjoy, for those who do go!

I do hope I can make it.
If I can I'll be the guy with glasses wearing a blue sweater and tan shorts.
Hopefully I'll be there.

Just a heads up it's not a big deal if you miss this. This is a weekly event and we'll try to be there in full force at least 2/4 fridays a month. Beamsprouts is going to close his availability on Friday Nights and I centered my class/work schedule around this as well.

I missed out on shakes... damn my laziness... I should speak up more as I rarely said a word and disappeared without a trace multiple times.
Fun time, though. Can't wait to do it again.

everybody come to my house we can play mario party and also have an orgy or whatever

I have homework and I just stood in the back like a creeper... watching everyone. So I might pass.

I heard "every other week", so I already locked in plans to be out of town this night/weekend. I'm set for SG next Fri, and I'll be piping up accordingly after the weekend.

Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe
Who else can confirm being at MGL this Friday? I'll be there.

Any Sacramento folks want to meet up and level up our SG game? If I can get enough players, maybe we could meet up at the fighting game club at UC Davis.

I asked them if they have a schedule so I can know whether I can go, but they don't have one yet.

Still, anyone in the Bay Area want to practice on or offline this coming weekend? It'd be cool if we could meet there at the event too...

Beamsprouts and I are actually going to NEC this weekend.

Nice, hope it goes well.
Hadocon has a schedule if anyone was on the fence due to not knowing the time for SGE:

http://i.imgur.com/bjNtlLH.jpg

I guess people show up a bit early to practice? If there's a PS3 setup, I can enter & bring my pad (no stick).
Looks like for online reg, it's $20 + $5 (SGE).
Anyone going that wants to practice this weekend that isn't going to NEC? I'll get an idea whether I'm near anyone's level.

I work this weekend, but my monitor should be arriving any day now so later int eh week I'd be glad to play online.

Hey all! Is this a thing the NorCal SG scene cares about?

https://twitter.com/KaoriManabe/status/544599654755618818

It's all anime games (just like Rebel Up!) and I think SG fits in pretty well with that scene (just like at Rebel Up!). I don't know if NorCal Dogfights is a regular event like Rebel Up is down here in SoCal, but if it's just a matter of talking to someone who organizes Dogfights to convince them to switch out one of their less popular games on that list for SG, then it might be worth investigating.

But maybe there's something I don't know about? Is there beef between communities or something?

Does anyone know who exactly runs Dogfights? Maybe I can talk to them about it. I can certainly hook them up with download codes for the game so they can always have it available to run tournaments...

Reactions: Bit_Strife
I've contacted Kaori Manabe about Norcal dogfights a few times before and he says there simply isn't the space. Having been at the venue myself, I can understand why. I'm surprised they are able to run more than two games there.

I'm going to make sure we have a monthly again at the start of next year. AFK gamer lounge in Downtown San Jose looks really promising and the owner already gave me permission to run SG there when it opens, but im not sure if its going to open early next month like originally planned. The Folsom Street Foundry is also good, but is 21+ and is actually the only reason we aren't runnig events there.

As for Norcal Dogfights, the people to contact would be Kaori Manabe and TheBrett (I think?) I believe he said there may be space available on the third week of each month so i'll talk to him about that next year. And I'll keep you posted on the situation in case we need download codes and stuff.

I am really trying to hard to reunite the scene here in Norcal, but the Alpha Clash/MMG drama and the majority of Norcal's FGC moving to a venue that's only 21+ really fucked us over.

Last edited:
Folsom Street Foundry is not my favorite place visit. A car gets broken into almost on a weekly bases there. Seems that some people have caught wind of the events being held there and visit frequently to see if anyone has valuables in their car. Just a few days ago, a guy got his window smashed in and had his laptop and capture equipment stolen (was out of sight according to him) that was worth a good $3000. That place really needs some security.